Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kisenosato-Harumafuji was a drat satisfying brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
If you like watching someone get poo poo on, yeah. That was unreal

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

anakha posted:

Kisenosato-Harumafuji was a drat satisfying brawl.

It's a really good job Kisenosato never managed to meet the reduced criteria for promotion because he would have been a total embarrassment as Yokozuna

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Tsaedje posted:

It's a really good job Kisenosato never managed to meet the reduced criteria for promotion because he would have been a total embarrassment as Yokozuna

i think if you can win back to back yusho in the hakuho era, you've earned yokozuna and earned it well, and you deserve to have the title attached to you no matter what you do after that. that being said, i think until hakuho starts to noticeably decline, which doesn't look like it'll be soon, no one else is going to get it. especially not with harumafuji performing the way that he is as well.

e: amazing hakuho stat that i only just noticed and i guess isn't all that surprising now that i think of it, but still: hakuho has either secured a yusho or jun-yusho in every single tournament since his yokozuna promotion except one (may 2012, the one kyokutenho won)

a false fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 19, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
That, and if there are 3 yokozuna they will start eating losses from each other in a normal situation anyway. Actually before Harumafuji started his run he was the only other wrestler with more than 1 championship to his name.

If you didn't see kitanayama's youtube descrip - Oosunaarashi is coming back tomorrow.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Spoilers - Day 11 Recap

Leaders:
Y1e Hakuho (11-0) - Hakuho has been looking sick, primarily throwing people without much effort
Y1w Harumafuji (11-0) - Also undefeated, but been using 'tactics' a bit (henka, slapping, both 'unyokozuna-like' apparently)
O1e Kakuryu (10-1) - Doesn't need help to yusho still, can he beat Harumafuji tomorrow??

Other SanYaku:
O1w Kotoshogiku (6-5) - Has to beat at least one of the leaders to get kachikochi, its going to be real tough
S1e Goeido (8-3) - Likely to end up 10-5, realistically needs 12-3 to be fun to watch for Ozeki next basho

Endo in my SanYaku?? Its more likely than you think!

M1e Endo (5-6) - If Endo loses only 1 in the next 4, he'll probably go up to SanYaku, provided everyone else doesn't pull a miracle out of their rear end.
We may even get 2 promoted to sanyaku, possibly Yoshikaze who is a career midpacker who has never reached it.

New Guys:
M5e Chiyo'ootori (8-3) - Doing amazing in his 3rd (2nd consecutive) makuuchi basho. Actually if he wins out, he may go to SanYaku over Endo (If Endo wasn't well, ENDO) I thought earlier he might fight the upper echelon and it looks like he'll be at least M2 if not M1.
M10w Teronofuji (4-7) - Guy kind of took a dump after day 4 but could still make a respectable record

Relegation Watch:

Expected:
M12w Sadanofuji (1-10) - Needs to really win out, maybe stays with 4 wins
M16w Satoyama (3-8) - Last wrestler, got makekochi, is done
M15e Tenkaiho (3-8) - Can never seem to stick in makuuchi

On Notice:
M16e Kagamio (4-7) - Maybe can stay up with one more loss

Promotion Watch:
Expected:
J2w Homasho (11-0) - Old standby recovering from an injury, 2 in hand for the Juryo Yusho
J3e Tokitkenku (8-3) - A long time ago, rapidly rose in Sumo to near SanYaku, nearing retirement

Possible:
J4w Sadanoumi (8-3) - Development hit a bump in the road 2 years ago because of injury, trying to break in for the first time. If Tokitkenku losses a lot and he wins a lot could swap
J2e Asahisho (5-6) - Popped into Makuuchi a couple times before, could do it again
J3w Asasekiryu (5-6) - An ex-SanYaku in his twilight years

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

It's official, Kotooshu has retired. It even made the Washington Post. It's unfortunate that I caught him in the twilight of his career where he seemed to be barely hanging on, but mad respect to any wrestler who can survive that kind of punishment for 12 years, and win a championship to boot. Not only that, but he is adored by the Japanese - a rarity for Western wrestlers.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Today was awesome.

Match of the day for me:

Endou vs Shouhouzan - Endou did great to turn it around, I thought he was finished.

Notable matches for me:

Hakuhou vs Kisenosato - If just for the pre-match fun.

Harumafuji vs Kakuryuu - He made Harumafuji look bad there. Gonna be close down the stretch...

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
harumafuji vs. kakuryuu - man, kakuryuu made harumafuji look like chiyotairyuu with how overeager he was on his tachi-ai. great patience on kakuryuu's part, gonna be real interesting to see what happens when he faces hakuho
endou vs. shouhouzan - fantastic match. i don't know if endou is eventually going to top out as one of those guys who bounces between sanyaku and high-maegashira but it looks like at the very least he'll always be entertaining
oosunaarashi vs. aoiyama - aoiyama definitely looked motivated to win for kotooshu after displaying some lethargic sumo at times in the early going this basho. i hope osunaarashi can pull it together for one win to get his KK but he still looks like he's in a lot of pain with that leg injury

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6kzbUuduBI

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Concerning Kotooshu's retirement: It said that he'll now be called Kotooshu oyakata. Does that immediately mean he'll be a stablemaster?

As for today's matches, "A"s across the board. A lot of fun to watch all the top rankers, except maybe poor Kotoshogiku who's been having a horrible time all the way through this week.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
yeah, rough for kotoshogiku since that injury is obviously hampering him badly. he doesn't have a prayer of getting his kachikoshi this basho. if he still isn't fully recovered and goes makekoshi next time around that'll put us all the way back at 2 ozeki - amazing how recently we had 6.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

yeah, rough for kotoshogiku since that injury is obviously hampering him badly. he doesn't have a prayer of getting his kachikoshi this basho. if he still isn't fully recovered and goes makekoshi next time around that'll put us all the way back at 2 ozeki - amazing how recently we had 6.

That occurred to me earlier, too. We might even be down to 1 he goes makekoshi and if Kakuryu pulls off the coup in the last few days.

code:
Sept 2012 Ozeki:
Harumafuji   [up to Yokozuna]
Kisenosato   
Kotooshu     [retired]
Baruto       [retired]
Kakuryu      [??? after this basho]
Kotoshogiku  [likely kadoban]

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'd be really surprised if kakuryu can even force the playoff - he's doing very well but hakuho is all the way on top of his game right now. hasn't shown a hint of weakness this basho.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Kotoshogiku really should have just withdrawn in the first week when he saw that he wasn't gonna do so hot and just try to recuperate before the next tournament. He's been kadoban before and he always manages to pull through. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll bounce back in May.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

i'd be really surprised if kakuryu can even force the playoff - he's doing very well but hakuho is all the way on top of his game right now. hasn't shown a hint of weakness this basho.

Its ridiculous and I totally agree with the youtube that he changed up the push out to prove a point. Dude loving hates Kisenosato anyway.

Kikkoman posted:

Concerning Kotooshu's retirement: It said that he'll now be called Kotooshu oyakata. Does that immediately mean he'll be a stablemaster?

As for today's matches, "A"s across the board. A lot of fun to watch all the top rankers, except maybe poor Kotoshogiku who's been having a horrible time all the way through this week.

Basically an oyakata means you own a share in the sumo association, and there are 105 shares. You either have to buy one (for a lot of money), or be in line for inheritance AND have participated as a rikishi in the sumo majors for a while (either money or family way this is a requirement). Former Ozeki and Yokozuna get a free temporary license which is why Kotooshu instantly becomes -oyakata. He may also have an arrangement to rent one from someone who has 2. Baruto on the other hand did not have citizenship and was not eligible.

You need to have a share to become a stablemaster, but not all share holders are stablemasters.

This site is a pretty good resource: http://oyakata.seisa.de/
It looks like Kotooshu already owns his own share. Often if a rikishi cannot afford it his booster club will put up some funds.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Day 13:
youtube

Nah, sorry about that

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Um holy poo poo :munch:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Um holy poo poo :munch:

:stare::stare::stare:

uh.... i guess kotoshogiku's shoulder is feeling better?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNboJwRo4m4

...holy poo poo.

:stare::stare::stare:, indeed.

This entire basho just got turned on its ear.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 21, 2014

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Surprising day! Winner of Hakuho-Kakuryu tomorrow has a win in hand going into day 15 which features the Yokozuna battle and Kakuryu-Kotoshogiku. If the cards fall right we could be looking at our second straight playoff bout to determine the champion :getin:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I literally exclaimed "holy poo poo" when watching that.

Very happy to see Tochinoshin bounce back from injury and dominate Makushita (as you'd expect him to). Is 7-0 at Ms55 enough to immediately get promotion to Juryo, considering his placement that low is just due to a long spell of absence?

Goiedo got the job done, and I'd expect him to win against Aoiyama tomorrow, meaning he'd only need 11 wins next time out to have 30 from 3 basho (or potentially 10 if he could win on day 15 as well)

Last but not least holy poo poo Kotoshogiku. If Hakuho's finger is broken or dislocated that could hand Kakuryuu his first basho and put him on the way to promotion as well

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

I literally exclaimed "holy poo poo" when watching that.

I did the same thing, in my office. Got a few looks and people asking me what happened.

Match of the basho so far, I will NOT hear otherwise.

Hmmm, ok yesterday's Endou match gets honorable mention.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Holy loving poo poo I love sumo.

Funkysauce posted:

I did the same thing, in my office. Got a few looks and people asking me what happened.

Hahaha, I just did the very same thing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

I predict that, unless he henkas, Harumafuji goes down in flames today after that showing by Kotoshogiku. And if he does henka, he'll mysteriously go kyujo for day 15 and later resurface on some obscure game show that involves self-mutilation and torture.

Edit: I think it was Hakuho's right hand that got hurt, so I assume that finger will be taped to the adjacent fingers so he can't easily hurt it further. If he gets his left hand on Kakuryu, it's over. He has won over 90% of their matches.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 21, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i seriously can't believe kotoshogiku was able to get that hold in on hakuho. what an uncharacteristic mistake

no conspiracy theories or anything here though. he simply got beat.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So how would they decide a three-way tie at the end of the basho? Would they round robin or something?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Is that possible at the moment?

Hakuho 12-1
Kakuryu 12-1
Harumafuji 11-2

Day 14
Hakuho-Kakuryu
Harumafuji-Kotoshogiku

Day 15
Hakuho-Harumafuji
Kakuryu-Kotoshogiku

So if Hakuho+Harumafuji win today, then Harumafuji+Kakuryu win tomorrow, we would actually have a three-way tie. That's awesome.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

dupersaurus posted:

So how would they decide a three-way tie at the end of the basho? Would they round robin or something?

They draw lots to see which two face each other first, and then after that point the first to win two in a row is the winner.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFstG8GV2O4

Kakuryu is in control of his own destiny now! What a strong showing by him AND Kotoshogiku this morning

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tomorrow is going to be a nail-biter.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn I should have put money on my predictions yesterday. Kakuryu kept Hakuho's left hand off of him and Harumafuji didn't henka Kotoshogiku, and I totally called it.

However, did anyone else think that Hakuho phoned it in? He had a couple of great chances to pull a charging Kakuryu down and didn't even try. You kinda wonder about the Mongols helping each other out, although Hakuho really wants the all-time record too.

Goeido owned Aoiyama. Just get under his tsuppari and drive him out.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

However, did anyone else think that Hakuho phoned it in? He had a couple of great chances to pull a charging Kakuryu down and didn't even try. You kinda wonder about the Mongols helping each other out, although Hakuho really wants the all-time record too.

well, i do remember hakuho saying when kyokutenho won that yusho that he wanted it more for kyokutenho than he wanted it for himself, so i do think there is some element of that, but i don't think hakuho lasts that long on the edge of the dohyo in today's match if he's phoning it in. i think kakuryu simply didn't open himself up with much weakness and capitalized.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
:supaburn:

If this wasn't your reaction to today, you suck.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Funkysauce posted:

:supaburn:

If this wasn't your reaction to today, you suck.

Seriously. I just got home from a road trip and was yelling at my monitor for both of the last two matches and then had to explain to my girlfriend why I woke her up.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Last day is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSraM93flYk

Awesome basho this time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Updated link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQp50S8E8pE

I hadn't known Tochinoshin had fallen to makushita. Was he injured for a long time?

Yes, hell of a way for the basho to end.

Holy poo poo, Harumafuji wasn't loving around... at least that second time. :v:

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 23, 2014

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
!!!

What a great ending to an already great basho!

I don't know that I buy into Kakuryu's promotion just yet though... two tournaments at 14-1 is amazing sure enough, but prior to that he only cracked ten wins twice in seven tries. I'd argue that he needs to have another performance like his last two in May for a promotion

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Sumo Association said 13-2 and a yusho was good enough so we'll see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Uncle Jam posted:

Sumo Association said 13-2 and a yusho was good enough so we'll see what happens.

Sure, but does it make sense? His records indicate a lot of inconsistency including barely making kachikoshi the two bashos before his recent stellar performances. I don't know why they're rushing him to a likely promotion