Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

PFlats posted:

Maybe add some sort of settings popover button on the far right side of the extra keyboard row? Kinda like how the Formatting Options works in-thread right now.

Hadn't thought of that one before, I'll try that out.

TheMightyHandful posted:

The clickable area to go to the next page seems to be to the outside of the location of the button: I need to press to the right of the next page button on my 4s

The one in the toolbar at the bottom? Weird, I'll take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
This update is great. The new menus make everything feel way more cohesive.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Sometimes the Send PM option doesn't appear until you view someone's profile. Happened to me with poster I Feast On Dogshit on the bottom of the last page.

e:happens with PUGGERNAUT too.

baram. fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 21, 2014

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Baram posted:

Sometimes the Send PM option doesn't appear until you view someone's profile. Happened to me with poster I Feast On Dogshit on the bottom of the last page.

e:happens with PUGGERNAUT too.

I don't have PMs so it could be that

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

This is what I was thinking but making it appear allowed it to proceed to the compose screen so I wasn't sure.

e: sending a PM that way it shows the Sending spinner then just goes back to the menu. < just tested and this is how it works for Platinum users too. Can you add a confirmation when they send since I don't see a way to view sent PMs?

baram. fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 21, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Same here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheMightyHandful posted:

The clickable area to go to the next page seems to be to the outside of the location of the button: I need to press to the right of the next page button on my 4s

Yeah, I think moving it farther from the page selector would be good anyway. It makes for a fiddly target, and it could be both bigger and more distinct if it moved over into some of that unused whiteboard.

Related, the new page selector is much better, thank you pokey!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

This is what I was thinking but making it appear allowed it to proceed to the compose screen so I wasn't sure.

e: sending a PM that way it shows the Sending spinner then just goes back to the menu. < just tested and this is how it works for Platinum users too. Can you add a confirmation when they send since I don't see a way to view sent PMs?

Maybe I hosed up "can receive a PM" detection when scraping profiles. I'll take a look. For the record, "Send PM" should only appears an option when the person can actually receive PMs. And Awful could do a better job (i.e. make any attempt whatsoever) telling you about an error when sending.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Please make it so that style sheet options aren't saved in ram, like before. It's annoying to have to keep setting it :(

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Opening a thread with 0 unread posts, going back a page, and then going back to the thread list will make it display a positive number of unread posts.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Here's the Full Resoultion Originals of the new Fyad thread tags ( and ) so that you can make them into squares or whatever for your app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Please make it so that style sheet options aren't saved in ram, like before. It's annoying to have to keep setting it :(

I swear they're saved somewhere more persistent than RAM. Whatever is causing this issue, it's on the list I assure you :)

Caithness posted:

Opening a thread with 0 unread posts, going back a page, and then going back to the thread list will make it display a positive number of unread posts.

D'oh! I'll throw that on the list too.

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Minor bug: entering a thread with a 2-line title in portrait orientation, shifting to landscape, and then back to portrait does not re-establish text wrapping, so the title stays on one line with an ellipsis as long as one stays in that thread. Happens in reply view, too.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The UFC March thread crashes the app for me everything I open it.

I think it's something to do with the first page? Because I marked as unread by mistake as when I went back into it on page 1 it just constantly crashes to springboard

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3612469

I imagine it might be something on the actual page of the thread than the app, because I've never had that problem with any other thread

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I imagine it might be something on the actual page of the thread than the app, because I've never had that problem with any other thread

What version of the app/iOS are you on? I just tried it in the latest dev build and it opens fine for me..

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Froist posted:

What version of the app/iOS are you on? I just tried it in the latest dev build and it opens fine for me..

Latest version of the app and ios7.1. iPhone 5.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Banzai 3 posted:

Minor bug: entering a thread with a 2-line title in portrait orientation, shifting to landscape, and then back to portrait does not re-establish text wrapping, so the title stays on one line with an ellipsis as long as one stays in that thread. Happens in reply view, too.

An oldie but a goodie! I'll take another stab at this, it's been awhile.

The UFC March thread crashes the app for me everything I open it.

I think it's something to do with the first page? Because I marked as unread by mistake as when I went back into it on page 1 it just constantly crashes to springboard

Just reproduced this, and the crash log is absolutely nonsensical, so this'll take a bit of pondering on my end.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A couple minor visual issues with the popover in the iPad view:

I think the arrow is backwards

And when it fades out it has a weird appearance

Both of these persist after closing and reopening the app, and on both the normal and YOSPOS stylesheets.

Also, it seems to have produced a crash on launch bug on this device now. I can post the crash report if you want it, but I'm not sure what triggered it or how to get around it short of reinstalling the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

A couple minor visual issues with the popover in the iPad view

Surprised that arrow hadn't come up already. But the crash is new to me. I'll take a crash report for sure.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

When I was editing this post, the — dashes in the quoted section didn't render, just had two spaces in a row.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400187&perpage=40&pagenumber=168#post427141078

Figured this one out. Check out the primo JSON response when quoting that post. The important bit:

wtf posted:

the metric that actually matters to program performance \u0097 the number of simultaneously usable registers \u0097 still more than doubles

Yeah, I don't think that's the right way to escape an em dash. Good try though, thanks Forums!

edit: confused length of dash

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 26, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Figured this one out. Check out the primo JSON response when quoting that post. The important bit:

Yeah, I don't think that's the right way to escape an en dash. Good try though, thanks Forums!

JSON and Unicode, together again. We've gotta stop meeting like this.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

JSON and Unicode, together again. We've gotta stop meeting like this.

Yeah I thought you might like that.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Just ran into a very strange bug. I had the app open to one of the pages in the Dark Souls 2 thread, then I thought I tapped the arrow to go back to the Games forum. But instead it acted like I tapped the Post a Reply button. The real problem, though, was I could not get out of the screen. Tapping Cancel did nothing, no other gestures did anything. It did let me make a post (confirmed by checking from a different computer), but then it just cleared the text from the Post a Reply screen and I was still stuck there. Force-quitting the app and powering off/on the iPhone didn't help, I had to delete and reinstall the app for it to start working again. As tempted as I am to blame :darksouls: for this, figured I should see if you guys know what happened first? This is on an iPhone 5 with the latest Awful version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Just ran into a very strange bug. I had the app open to one of the pages in the Dark Souls 2 thread, then I thought I tapped the arrow to go back to the Games forum. But instead it acted like I tapped the Post a Reply button. The real problem, though, was I could not get out of the screen. Tapping Cancel did nothing, no other gestures did anything. It did let me make a post (confirmed by checking from a different computer), but then it just cleared the text from the Post a Reply screen and I was still stuck there. Force-quitting the app and powering off/on the iPhone didn't help, I had to delete and reinstall the app for it to start working again. As tempted as I am to blame :darksouls: for this, figured I should see if you guys know what happened first? This is on an iPhone 5 with the latest Awful version.

That is indeed a very strange bug. Was it an empty reply that appeared, or was there a quoted post in there?

I think I can make the cancel button work at any rate.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

pokeyman posted:

That is indeed a very strange bug. Was it an empty reply that appeared, or was there a quoted post in there?

I think I can make the cancel button work at any rate.

It was an empty reply, nothing quoted.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I had that happen today too, for what it's worth. Reinstalling it worked for me too though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

It was an empty reply, nothing quoted.

Good to know. It's on the list!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I decided I wanted to learn ObjectiveC, so I hacked up a little thing in Awful today. I added another button to the KeyboardBar labelled "[/..]" that inserts the closing tag for the most recently opened bbcode thing. I have some more to do on it (*), but I though I'd ask if it was something you'd be interested in. If so, I'll submit a pull request when I have it finished up, and you can have some fodder for the coding horrors thread.

(*) handle [foo=whatever] form, disable when there's nothing open, label the button with the text that'll be inserted, maybe figure out how to add some tests.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That sounds awesome.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I decided I wanted to learn ObjectiveC, so I hacked up a little thing in Awful today. I added another button to the KeyboardBar labelled "[/..]" that inserts the closing tag for the most recently opened bbcode thing. I have some more to do on it (*), but I though I'd ask if it was something you'd be interested in. If so, I'll submit a pull request when I have it finished up, and you can have some fodder for the coding horrors thread.

(*) handle [foo=whatever] form, disable when there's nothing open, label the button with the text that'll be inserted, maybe figure out how to add some tests.

Sounds awesome! I'm in.

Another item for your list: do the right thing within an open [code] tag, whatever that is.

e.g. assuming you've typed up to the caret:
code:

some weird language that uses [b]brackets
                                         ^

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Sounds awesome! I'm in.

Thanks, that's great!

Edit: I think the right thing is probably to be maximally consistent, and close the [b] there. When I get the label changing to match the text it'll be clearer, but I think that case is rare enough that it's not worth making for more magic.

How do you like to do unit tests?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 30, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, that's great!

Edit: I think the right thing is probably to be maximally consistent, and close the [b] there. When I get the label changing to match the text it'll be clearer, but I think that case is rare enough that it's not worth making for more magic.

How do you like to do unit tests?

My point, poorly made, with the example was that I suspected the Forums wouldn't consider the opening [b] as actual BBcode because it was in the [code] block, and so the correct closing tag to insert would be [/code]. Though I'm not sure I care about such an edge case.

I think the label text should probably stay static so that the buttons don't move around as it grows and shrinks. Conveniently, that's less effort too!

There are some unit tests already, for scraping HTML, if you'd like an example. I haven't bothered with or gotten around to testing anything else. (Some of that is laziness, most of it is the questionable value.) I'd love some tests for inserting a closing BBcode tag but they're certainly not required.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I'll write up something on a testing method in AwfulKeyboardBar, and I can poke at it from the debugger if it changes.

You're right about the [code] case, of course. I can detect that easily enough. I also have to fix a dumb bug where it'll match the previous [tag] even if there's already a [/tag] in place. Happily that's similar logic to the open-[code] test.

Keeping the buttons in place makes sense. I was thinking of right-aligning it in landscape, and if in a [list] adding a button for [*], but I'm not sure it's worth the extra work. I probably will try to make it disable when there's nothing open, if only because I want to learn more about the event handling model.

I sent a pull request, but obviously there's more to do. Feel free to bounce it sight unseen, though if you see problems or have style nits (100 cols? line-wrap indentation? variable names? whitespace?) I'm more than happy for the feedback. It's literally the only ObjC I've ever written, so I am prepared to start over entirely. I come from a programming culture where there are rules about local variable declaration order, so you won't hurt my feelings. :allears:

Edit: at some point I also broke handling of [outer][inner][/inner], in that it'll insert another [/inner] instead of the proper [/outer]. I should probably set that pull request on fire.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 31, 2014

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I should probably set that pull request on fire.

Emptyquote if you've ever felt like this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New pull request up. Correctly handles:

code:
"[_code] [b]" -> "[_/code]
"[_code] [b] [_/code]" -> ""
"[_code] [b] [_/code][_code]" -> "[_/code]"
"[_code=cpp] [b]" -> "[_/code]
"[_/code]" -> ""
"[codemonkey] [b]" -> "[/b]"
"[_code][codemonkey]" -> "[/codemonkey]"
"[b][i]" -> "[/i]"
"[b][i][/i]" -> "[/b]"
"[b][/b]" -> ""
"[b][i][/b]" -> ""
"[url=foo]" -> "[/url]"
"[url=foo][b][i][/b]" -> "[/url]"
I tried to make it as clear as I could, but it's reverse-searching string math with a couple of alternate paths, so it's inherently :suicide:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

New pull request up.

Looks good! You're probably right about just whitelisting BBcode tag names. That list never seems to change, and it'd avoid false positives like [sic].

Oh and regarding cosmetic code concerns, Awful's kind of all over the place there. I reformat files as I wander by to suit whatever style I'm into that day, but I'm nowhere near committed enough to enforce it on anyone else. Do what feels right, and if you notice something changed then I guess someone preferred it some other way :D

For the next steps (enabling/disabling the button and updating the label) you'll want to look into the UITextViewTextDidChangeNotification.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

For the next steps (enabling/disabling the button and updating the label) you'll want to look into the UITextViewTextDidChangeNotification.

I think we agreed to not update the label (though it'd be easy enough to just call getCurrentlyOpenTag), but I'll look at updating the enabled/disabled state tonight.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

q != e

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 1, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I think we agreed to not update the label (though it'd be easy enough to just call getCurrentlyOpenTag), but I'll look at updating the enabled/disabled state tonight.

Oh ok, wasn't sure where we came out on that. Works for me.

This commit has a bit more concrete feedback on style. The big one you'll see in a lot of Objective-C is lining up the colons in a selector when sending a message (e.g. here), the other stuff is not largely agreed upon and just my personal taste. edit: and BOOL is always either YES/NO, never TRUE/FALSE, that one's pretty well established. BOOL is actually pretty weird and has a sordid history but was recently fixed, so there is hope for us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I got a pretty heavy bug. I was hopping on to check out the DnD pictures thread and it was taking quite a bit to load (university's wifi is poo poo) so I hit the home button on my ipad to jump out and play a game. Some time later I got home and relaunched the app. I have the black screen with the blue header and I can see the little loading wheel spin for a few seconds. Then it disappears and I'm stuck. No menu bar, no button for the menu bar, nothing. I closed the app and rebooted my ipad, twice, and got the same result. I had to redownload the app to resolve it. I realize this isn't necessarily the best information. I had the most recent version of the app.

• Locked thread