Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Beautiful car being ruined by those awful US-spec bumpers. Stupid plastic everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spotted while working today:

Gonna guess the owner of the popcorn place is doing quite well.

e: after looking a bit closer, maybe it should go in the terrible thread. :sigh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Cherokee I occasionally drive at work has less door gap than that, which is remarkable because it's a junkyard door that was hung by a half-drunk redneck during a lunch break. Still, I would rather drive your Defender; 110s are so awesome, there's a guy in my area with a NAS 110" (which are even more scarce than the regular NAS Defenders), I want it bad.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 19, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Land Rover Defenders are pretty poor vehicles and are constantly failing MOT inspections for one reason or another.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sudo Echo posted:

Beautiful car being ruined by those awful US-spec bumpers. Stupid plastic everywhere.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I saw an early 70s 911 being transported on the way home from work the other day and all I could see were the lovely US spec bumpers.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I thought this was an explosion in the window when I first looked. I thought it was going to be some awesome driving through a fire post or something :flame:

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

some texas redneck posted:

Spotted while working today:

Gonna guess the owner of the popcorn place is doing quite well.

e: after looking a bit closer, maybe it should go in the terrible thread. :sigh:

Nah t buckets are always awesome. Especially in that over the top cartoon 70's style. The one pictured is a little reserved actually.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

djdanno13 posted:

Nah t buckets are always awesome. Especially in that over the top cartoon 70's style. The one pictured is a little reserved actually.

That's what I was thinking. Needs a blower, skinnier fronts, and wider rears for it to be full-on T-Bucket deathtrap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Falken posted:

Land Rover Defenders are pretty poor vehicles and are constantly failing MOT inspections for one reason or another.
What do you mean "or"?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I like how the lock striker is on an extender to make it match up with the locking mechanism on the door.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Falken posted:

But don't you see? They look really cool and they're british and they do everything significantly worse than a landcruiser so HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT ONE YOU WEIRDO!?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sombody on another forum was bitching about "why can't I get a new Defender in the US anymore?" To which I replied that they won't pass safety standards here and the market was too small for them to make the changes to such and ancient and uncomfortable body with so many problems to meet the post 98 safety requirements.

Of course the response was "while why didn't they modernize it and make it more comfortable?"

The obvious reply: They did. It's called a Discovery. The "Defender 100." The Disco 1's were literally a 100" Defender chassis. With Defender design queues and all (like the roof line and real alpine windows)

I really do love the Defenders for the bad rear end possibilities with the body styles....but christ they are cold, noisy, and uncomfortable. My left (or right depending on which version) arm is jammed into the door and there's pretty much no way to get comfortable. They look so good, but it's just not worth it.

I'd still take an old diesel one for an off road beater. But as something to drive they way I use my Disco (lovely weather, mostly) HELL NO.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
:aaaaa:

I have just seen the first mud truck rat rod I would ever willingly purchase and drive anywhere. Everywhere.

Yes, the 4x4 works.

Usually "mud truck" or "rat rod" in a vehicle description means something awful in every possible way is about to assault your retinas.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I want to see the back of it, it looks like those rear wheels are mounted pretty strangely.

Also, not exactly a lot of ground clearance to speak of, but yes, it's awesome.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's on airbags, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it goes up 8 or 10 inches from there.

Full specs...
1935 Dodge Brothers Sedan, custom chassis
Tires: 39.5" Super Swamper Boggers in the front, 44" in the rear
Suspension: wishbone/linked, airbags
Dana 60 front w/ 4.56:1 gears, chevy 14 bolt rear w/ 5.13:1 gears
412 cube/6.8 liter LS series, 4L80E transmission, NP205 transfer case

edit: here's a video I found of the same one, the guy has a bunch of other videos of it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPBMV9SNYc

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 19, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like the Batman Tumbler if it was built in '35.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Bob Lutz (ex GM chairman) was on NPR today to talk about the recent GM recalls. Some crackpot called in and was rambling on and on about the Ford Pinto gas tank recall and the Corvair and general GM malaise.

Bob Lutz replied, "I'm not going to dignify that with an answer." Pretty rad.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Bob Lutz (ex GM chairman) was on NPR today to talk about the recent GM recalls. Some crackpot called in and was rambling on and on about the Ford Pinto gas tank recall and the Corvair and general GM malaise.

Bob Lutz replied, "I'm not going to dignify that with an answer." Pretty rad.

Indeed. If you're going to question the quality of a person's vehicles you should probably bring up incidents that occurred in the last three decades and/or from the correct manufacturer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Collateral Damage posted:

Looks like the Batman Tumbler if it was built in '35.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Monaco circa the 1960's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got wood this morning!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

I've got wood this morning!

Not sure that belongs here with such a lovely wrap job.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EightBit posted:

Not sure that belongs here with such a lovely wrap job.

You're a boring man who lives a boring life.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

djdanno13 posted:

The intake is what I have a problem with. At first glance oh hell yes it's blown... oh wait.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Hey, look at this thing that's at my office:

I can take more pictures if anyone wants, it should be there for a bit longer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
More front wing details.

Edit: and also the underbody, diffuser, and other aero details.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 21, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jamal posted:

More front wing details.

This.

Edit: The sign isn't specific as to what cannot be touched so...

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 21, 2014

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Climb in and start it up.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Backov posted:

Climb in and start it up.

I think that would require "touching".

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

I think that would require "touching".

Well that sign doesn't apply to you, does it? You're a member of AI.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Write an extra NOT on the sign. Problem solved :eng101:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jamal posted:

More front wing details.

Edit: and also the underbody, diffuser, and other aero details.

Yup details of the aero stuff. Also better picture of the steering wheel and pedal box if possible.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

some texas redneck posted:

The intake is what I have a problem with. At first glance oh hell yes it's blown... oh wait.

See my earlier comment. True T-buckets should block your view of the road.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Get yourself another job lined up, that's easier than getting another chance to sit in an F1 car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Neptr posted:

Get yourself another job lined up, that's easier than getting another chance to sit in an F1 car.

Or when they yell at you for sitting in it reply with, "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know I couldn't do that."

edit: I'm willing to bet you could actually climb in and sit there for a good 30 seconds before anyone notices or says anything.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Put a helmet on & just pose like a dummy, see how long it takes for someone to mention it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Starsky and Hatch

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I DO have 24-hour access to the building, technically speaking I could sneak in here when no one's around.

However I'd probably get stuck trying to get in to or out of the seat.

But enough about me being too big for an F1 car, more pics!

Not sure if I can get any better with the wheel, I can't get the right angle without crossing the lines of death.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Boomerjinks posted:

Starsky and Hatch

I would drive this until the wheels fell off.

I want this because I drove one in college. It is enormous.

'74 Plymouth Fury 2-door hardtop. Sold for $3200, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sweet. That is so complex that CFD can barely figure it out and they basically have to guess at the new wing design and test at full scale to see if it works better.