Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Brandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wasn't it One World, not South Pacific?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yes, but the comedy options are pretty fabulous.

This proves that my brain has completely erased One World from its memory banks in self-preservation.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I haven't watched any Survivor since season 2, but I decided to watch this season on my cable's on demand yesterday. So glad I did, because J'tia. :allears:

I want to go back and watch the goon recommended seasons. I signed up for Hulu for it, but it only has season 1 and then 12+. What's that about?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

I haven't watched any Survivor since season 2, but I decided to watch this season on my cable's on demand yesterday. So glad I did, because J'tia. :allears:

I want to go back and watch the goon recommended seasons. I signed up for Hulu for it, but it only has season 1 and then 12+. What's that about?

Yeah Rob Cesternino was plugging Hulu+ as a new sponsor and mentioned they only had season one then 12+. A little weird but you've still got a ton of great ones to choose from.

China (season 15) and Tocantins (season 17) are fan favourites and either would be a great place to start. Micronesia (season 16) and Heroes vs Villains (season 20) are two of the best seasons ever but they're both all-stars seasons and benefit a lot from knowing the players first. If you wanted to jump ahead to the more modern seasons watching 25-27 wouldn't be a bad idea as the last several seasons have all been excellent. The big thing you want to avoid is the gap of seasons 21-24 as those are many of the worst seasons the show has ever had.

If I were cobbling together a list for a friend I'd probably suggest something like China (15), Tocantins (17), Cook Islands (13), Micronesia (16), Samoa (19), Heroes vs Villains (20), 25-27 in order then go back and pick off the remaining pre-season 21 stuff in whatever order you like.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Also you'll probably want to skip this thread mostly (after you get some recommendations), just because about once a week there is a slapfight over the most/least deserving winners.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BGrifter posted:

Of course. I've just been hearing a lot of "worst challenge tribe ever" and the like, I think that's excessive. They're a pretty average tribe with one outlier.

I guess I'd have to rewatch some of the offending tribes but I think if you look at most of the worst challenge tribes you'll find a majority of people who are competent or have some skills as the non-J'tia Brains do. But what usually kills those tribes is the lack of teamwork or egos or just the negative momentum. As much as people like to blame J'tia for all the loses because she did often play a kep role in them there's other things you can point to with all of them, including voting off their two strongest men first.

J'tia was a liability who lost at least one challenge single handedly but the bigger problem is that Brains were playing the game from the second David picked Garrett as the odd man out and they never came together as a tribe until they had no other choice. And I think in the end the reason Brains will look bad in Survivor history is because the three tribe format gave them second chances they failed on too.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Yeah Rob Cesternino was plugging Hulu+ as a new sponsor and mentioned they only had season one then 12+. A little weird but you've still got a ton of great ones to choose from.

China (season 15) and Tocantins (season 17) are fan favourites and either would be a great place to start. Micronesia (season 16) and Heroes vs Villains (season 20) are two of the best seasons ever but they're both all-stars seasons and benefit a lot from knowing the players first. If you wanted to jump ahead to the more modern seasons watching 25-27 wouldn't be a bad idea as the last several seasons have all been excellent. The big thing you want to avoid is the gap of seasons 21-24 as those are many of the worst seasons the show has ever had.

If I were cobbling together a list for a friend I'd probably suggest something like China (15), Tocantins (17), Cook Islands (13), Micronesia (16), Samoa (19), Heroes vs Villains (20), 25-27 in order then go back and pick off the remaining pre-season 21 stuff in whatever order you like.

Awesome, thank you! I started rewatching season 1 last night, so I'll probably finish that one, then go from there. I'd really like to watch the ones between 2-11 at some point, so it just sucks that it's not available on Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. I will definitely be checking out the ones your list though!

Juanito posted:

Also you'll probably want to skip this thread mostly (after you get some recommendations), just because about once a week there is a slapfight over the most/least deserving winners.

Haha, yeah I kind of noticed this already as I was skimming through the thread. Fortunately, I had to good sense to skip past posts once I saw a name I knew wasn't from this season.

On another note, could anyone tell me what season spawned that gif of the two horrified-looking girls while a guy behind them suddenly gets a poo poo-eating grin? I would like to watch that season at some point just because that gif is so hilarious to me.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

DaisyDanger posted:

Awesome, thank you! I started rewatching season 1 last night, so I'll probably finish that one, then go from there. I'd really like to watch the ones between 2-11 at some point, so it just sucks that it's not available on Amazon/Netflix/Hulu. I will definitely be checking out the ones your list though!

Haha, yeah I kind of noticed this already as I was skimming through the thread. Fortunately, I had to good sense to skip past posts once I saw a name I knew wasn't from this season.

On another note, could anyone tell me what season spawned that gif of the two horrified-looking girls while a guy behind them suddenly gets a poo poo-eating grin? I would like to watch that season at some point just because that gif is so hilarious to me.

Could you post the gif? I can see it in my head, but can't place it right now.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

DaisyDanger posted:

Gabon. The season that keeps getting better the more terrible other Survivor seasons you watch! We all hated it when it was on, but look back on it with fond memories now.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

Could you post the gif? I can see it in my head, but can't place it right now.

I was able to find it once GuavaMoment posted what season it's from. Thanks guys!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That's Gabon.

edit: Wow thread moving fast

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
It's from Gabon. edit: megabeaten

I agree Brains looks extra bad partly because they didn't just lose, they lost to two other tribes. But I would say they are not the worst ever (though they are certainly a weak lineup) because they didn't lose every time.

Metropolis fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 22, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Huh. I was thinking of a completely different gif. It was one at Tribal where there were like, 2 girls kinda pissed off and one guy just smiling. I don't think it was the Earl gif.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

GuavaMoment posted:

Gabon. The season that keeps getting better the more terrible other Survivor seasons you watch! We all hated it when it was on, but look back on it with fond memories now.

I'll just rewatch it in gifs.

The actual season has a lot of nasty stuff. The Onion alliance? Racism? Corrinne? Sugar. Don't even get me started on Sugar. Or that there's someone in the end who had about four speaking lines the whole season.

The location was neato though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Gabon was an ok season, I'd put it right around middle of the pack. I usually leave it out when recommending seasons to newbies as I tend to try and start them with seasons that will build toward either All-Stars, Fans vs Favourites or Heroes vs Villains and you're not really missing much not watching Gabon before HvV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Unfortunately you really do have to avoid this thread or any kind of Survivor discussion or commentary if you want to stay spoiler free on old seasons. I did my best when I was binging my way through the show but even if you check out as soon as you see an unfamiliar name you still start to get familiar with those names. Then eventually every time you're starting a season and recognize one or two people's names in the first episode and immediately assume those are the people to watch and one of them is probably the winner.

Metropolis posted:

I agree Brains looks extra bad partly because they didn't just lose, they lost to two other tribes. But I would say they are not the worst ever (though they are certainly a weak lineup) because they didn't lose every time.
I think trying to define any serious absolute ranking of things usually just feeds into biases of some kind. You could argue that Brains are better than Russell Swan's tribe because they won one or you could say Brains are worse unless they produce two players as good and successful as Malcolm and Denise. In the end there's a whole ton of contextual luck and circumstance that makes it impossible to fairly compare them. It's theoretically possible that if you swap those two tribes into each other's seasons they do better just because of different opponents or a different setting or a different initial twist or different challenges.

In the end all we can really say is they both really sucked.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just make sure to avoid reading the OP, especially the section that recommends what seasons to watch. It's full of tons of spoilers as to what happens in the seasons it's recommending as well as future seasons you aren't even reading about. When I started watching Survivor (about 23 seasons had aired at that point) I made the mistake of reading that list and had so many cool moments spoiled. It really should be removed from the OP, I think (the idea of a season recommendation list is a good one, but a list that has comments that amount to "watch this season so you can see person x win" and "this person sucks this season but SPOILER; they return in a future season and DO REALLY WELL hint hint" shouldn't be used to encourage people to watch the show).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Gabon is great because it has so many ridiculous plot lines that have nothing to do with the actual game of Survivor, but they showcase the players' personalities and are fun and goofy. (Ace's disappearing accent! Charcus! The Kenny Matty bromance! Crystal, everything about her! The weird Sugar/Bob dad thing!) The actual game of Survivor is kind of meh in that season, but the cast more than made up for it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Shakugan posted:

Just make sure to avoid reading the OP, especially the section that recommends what seasons to watch. It's full of tons of spoilers as to what happens in the seasons it's recommending as well as future seasons you aren't even reading about. When I started watching Survivor (about 23 seasons had aired at that point) I made the mistake of reading that list and had so many cool moments spoiled. It really should be removed from the OP, I think (the idea of a season recommendation list is a good one, but a list that has comments that amount to "watch this season so you can see person x win" and "this person sucks this season but SPOILER; they return in a future season and DO REALLY WELL hint hint" shouldn't be used to encourage people to watch the show).
Dang, I hadn't realized how bad it is. The recommendations are really great, but there should probably be a lot more spoiler warnings/tags. There way too many spoilers in the OP portion where you're actually telling people what season they should watch (and then mentioning how good someone's FTC behavior was).

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

Capsaicin posted:

Huh. I was thinking of a completely different gif. It was one at Tribal where there were like, 2 girls kinda pissed off and one guy just smiling. I don't think it was the Earl gif.

Does anyone have the Earl gif? It's such an amazing scene.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Survivor is such a gif-able show. The Jeff-Shrug is probably my personal favorite though.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

This scene is forever burned in my mind because seeing those smug mother fuckers taken down by the dude who had never watched the show was so amazing.

(I'm sad Edgardo didn't come back for FvF1 because he was actually a pretty cool dude.)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Cliff seems like a good dude and smart enough player, but I'm all for Tony being in positions of power, just because he's gonna create some fantastic television. Also, was it really that poor of a strategic move? Cliff might have been a good guy to take with to the end, but if he's already locked next to Woo and Lindsay, how useful is he to Tony in that sense? I don't see this Tony/Trish/LJ/Jefra alliance holding up after the merge, however.

LJ seems awesome so far and I hope he continues to do well. Reminiscent of Marty the Chessmaster with that lack of an idol play. I feel like he's the most dangerous player in the game.

Good for the brains team ending up with some leverage. Best situation for them would probably be to reel in Morgan the free agent. I am wondering whether or not Morgan is getting an unfair shake from the edit in regards to her perceived shadiness. All she's really done is understandably choose the idol clue over rice and stir the pot after immediately being relegated to the minority alliance. Not saying that she's a good player/person, but she might be more trustworthy than appears on the surface. She would also make a great goat at this point.

Despite her being totally duped by Tony, I'm really finding myself rooting for Sarah a lot. She doesn't really seem like she's strong on the social side, though.

I think the knowledge that Cliff was voted out will influence the way the remaining brains team organizes their strategy. Sarah could stand to benefit from a sign that the brawn tribe is fracturing. My guess is Alexis is the first to go if their bunch is sent to tribal.

Great season so far!

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 23, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lost any chance to like Morgan when her immediate reaction to Brice being voted out and her not terribly well conceived blindside plan falling apart was to
A) clumsily try to blame it all on Jeremiah.
B) whine that Jeremiah wasn't hot enough to be on the Beauty tribe.

Morgan probably benefited from that Tribal swap even more than the Brains. Who knows how things will play out for her now but she was toast on the Beauty tribe. And they hadn't even found out yet that she lied about the idol clue on Day 1. Sarah blowing up that lie and Morgan trying to brush it off as Alexis stared slack jawed at her was kind of hilarious.

Morgan is a bad player and not coming off like much of a better personality.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
She doesn't need the personality :pervert:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I agree completely. I'm just saying that the edit is casting her as too untrustworthy to include in an alliance, and I'm not sure that's entirely the case. For the reasons you mentioned, she would be a good person to keep around.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I think she's just had some bad luck, there's nothing really to indicate that she's a bad player. The lie about the choice between idol clue and shelter was a pretty good one, and her throwing Jeremiah under the bus as soon as they got back from tribal that one time was pretty smart. She's been unlucky that the numbers just didn't go her way, but I wouldn't call her a bad player (at least from what we've seen so far). Not fantastic, but not bad.

As for the personality thing, the only thing that's been sketchy thus far was her "he's not even that beautiful" comment, but given the circumstances it's hard to really know how indicative that is of her personality.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
I took her comment on Jeremiah not being beautiful enough for the beauty tribe as tongue in cheek. I'll admit I am biased. boobs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Every word she speaks gives me the impression she's a complete oval office. I'll admit I am biased. boobs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Met posted:

Every word she speaks gives me the impression she's a complete oval office. I'll admit I am biased. boobs

What a charmer you are! :allears:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I assume he does but maybe someone can confirm, does Rob C have some sort of deal with CBS that all the boots have to go on his show?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I think she's just had some bad luck, there's nothing really to indicate that she's a bad player. The lie about the choice between idol clue and shelter was a pretty good one, and her throwing Jeremiah under the bus as soon as they got back from tribal that one time was pretty smart. She's been unlucky that the numbers just didn't go her way, but I wouldn't call her a bad player (at least from what we've seen so far). Not fantastic, but not bad.

As for the personality thing, the only thing that's been sketchy thus far was her "he's not even that beautiful" comment, but given the circumstances it's hard to really know how indicative that is of her personality.

Yeah, when she outed Jeremiah as a liar I thought it was a silly and pointless move, but somehow it seemed to really get under Alexis's and Jeremiah's skin to the point where the remainder of that alliance completely fractured on the new orange tribe.

As for the "he's not even that beautiful" comment, that was awesome. :colbert:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Professor Shark posted:

What a charmer you are! :allears:

Everything she's done or said has been spiteful, a straight-up lie, or highschool drama bullshit. I get that it's a game that involves deceit, but because of the rest I find her to be rather contemptible.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fast Luck posted:

I assume he does but maybe someone can confirm, does Rob C have some sort of deal with CBS that all the boots have to go on his show?

There's always been a standard press junket that Survivors go through the day after their boot airs. I'd assume that Rob got his podcast added to that list, especially since those interviews are limited to 15 minutes or so.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

Everything she's done or said has been spiteful, a straight-up lie, or highschool drama bullshit. I get that it's a game that involves deceit, but because of the rest I find her to be rather contemptible.
Then you'll get a laugh out of this.

Morgan posted:

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: I think I can relate most to Parvati Shallow because she is beautiful and manipulative just like me. She has the ability to make everyone love her but also fear her. That power and confidence is a good quality to have for this show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I bet 9 out of 10 bitchy, pretty Survivor fans think they're like Parvati.

Shakugan posted:

I think she's just had some bad luck, there's nothing really to indicate that she's a bad player. The lie about the choice between idol clue and shelter was a pretty good one,
I'd have to rewatch to be sure about this but I believe she said something like "I got ALL of this stuff" which I thought was just a stupid, sloppy lie. Don't get me wrong, I think it was the smart play to tell a lie about getting something in place of the clue, but she went too big. The second Sarah said "we got a bag of rice for the clue" her lie fell apart. If she had just picked one random item, especially one they had two of, then she could have maybe sold the idea that each camp had a different item to get over the clue. Maybe it would have worked and maybe it wouldn't have. But the lie she told was one that wouldn't stand up to any scrutiny at all.

quote:

and her throwing Jeremiah under the bus as soon as they got back from tribal that one time was pretty smart.
See, I just have to disagree. It might have been a solid move on paper but she was clumsy and tried to pass all the blame off on Jeremiah and herself as an innocent victim of this. That was just sloppy and obviously no one bought it even a little bit, so she should have known she wasn't going to get away with that with these people. The entire tribe already knew Morgan and Brice were conspiring against them before Council. If I remember right she flat out exposed her plan to Jefra because she mistakenly assumed Jeremiah had Jefra already converted. It was silly for her to think she could spin that on Jeremiah as if they'd all not see through her transparent desperation move.

mancalamania posted:

Yeah, when she outed Jeremiah as a liar I thought it was a silly and pointless move, but somehow it seemed to really get under Alexis's and Jeremiah's skin to the point where the remainder of that alliance completely fractured on the new orange tribe.
I think its a mistake to give Morgan credit for that as I think that was all Jeremiah. Jeremiah totally misplayed that whole situation, trying to play both sides and openly lying to each one. LJ, Jefra, and Alexis knew he was on the fence and could have chosen Brice and Morgan. They probably suspect his only reason not to was because Jefra wasn't flipping after Morgan went to her about it. This is what happens to snakes after they waver on which side to support when they're the swing vote. Once they're no longer necessary the tribe recognizes they're untrustworthy and a potential problem. If Jeremiah had just picked a side before Council and not played that so badly then It would have been two beauties against Morgan.

Instead Alexis doesn't trust Jeremiah, Jeremiah is again looking for the better place to be, and no one wants to deal with Morgan.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm watching China and their second challenge is actually the one we just had - walls, log maze, even had the "hit the gong at the end."

This isn't notable for reusing challenges (although it is sorta funny that Jeff called it a "chinese puzzle log"), but it is notable that both times they ran the challenge with 7 people on both tribes, forcing one person to sit out each time.

Sorry if someone else noticed this, thread moves a little fast, especially around Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I don't mind them re-using challenges as long as they're good ones. I remember one recent season at least had a few lazy-looking, boring-to-watch challenges where Jeff didn't even show up to officiate.

• Locked thread