Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

It's called Byzantine politics for a reason.

And I have seen them fall three times, two times to the Mongols and one amazing time to a Shi'a Muslim Caliphate that had nearly the whole de jure Arabian empire, plus a big part of Persia. That was terrifying.

That last one does sound pretty cool, seeing as I've never actually witnessed the Shi'a succeed in 867. Sunni heresies seem to do well, though, with Zikri Andalusia having popped up more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Thrasophius posted:

I despise those civil wars, especially when people with 100 relations with you end up in the drat faction. I mean sure I can understand a rebel army taking my capital is pretty significant but I don't understand the game saying "oh that army of 1000 rebels took a shanty town guess they win the war and there's nothing your army of 50000 can do about it"

That is indeed BS, once my warscore dropped 10% because the rebels had taken some county in the middle of nowhere, while taking rebel counties gave me 0.3% back.

(Note to self: you know the pop-up you get about some random person deciding to raise an army to take your crown, and encourages you to just hit the 'assassinate' button until they die? Yeah be careful if they are vassals of your dynasty, and you've managed to land most of your dynasty - I ended up with kinslayer PLUS that event about someone telling all your vassals about what a terrible person you are, which I think adds up to -55 opinion. Good luck!)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chevalier Cat posted:

That last one does sound pretty cool, seeing as I've never actually witnessed the Shi'a succeed in 867. Sunni heresies seem to do well, though, with Zikri Andalusia having popped up more than once.

Just this morning I had the Shia take over more than half of the Abbasid's territory and expand into Arabia. They probably would have kept going strong if I wasn't playing as the Zoroastrians and drowned them in mercenaries so I could form the Persian Empire.

That is the only time I've ever seen them even approach doing well, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Chevalier Cat posted:

I played a game, using the TTG to randomise things at start-up, where the Shi'a rose up, started getting their poo poo kicked in, and then captured the Sunni Caliph, his entire gigantic empire, and then wiped Sunni off the map and became a massive empire that at various points pushed up into the Baltic and stomped the poo poo out of the Ilkhanate and the Timurids.

They're not doing as hot in my current game, but they have conquered Egypt.

Edit: Also the Seljuks showed up and conquered a couple provinces, just as a Sunni Jihad for Africa was called, which the Seljuks, being Sunni, joined in on, and won. They had two little provinces on the far east of the map, and the a stretch of North Africa, and then they grabbed a little chunk of Spain from the now Catholic Berber Empire of Mauritania, and most of Southern Italy, neighbouring Rome and the Adriatic Sea province. They had a decadence revolt rip them apart a while ago though.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 22, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Chevalier Cat posted:

Yeah, in my current game the Saffarid Persian empire was Ibadi and managed to convert a large chunk of land before collapsing under pressure from the Abbasids and the Seljuks (who themselves fell apart after taking only 2 de jure duchies)

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Is that unusual? A hundred years ago in my current game, the Agathonikos dynasty ruled everything from Western Africa and most of Iberia to Anatolia, plus Sicily. They're finally getting broken up in Persia and southwest Asia after a successful crusade for Jerusalem and Sicily within a few decades gave some other dynasties room to pop up.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

With the changes to decadence coming in it may convince me to actually play a muslim state this time around.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Playing an ironman norse game and I get enough holy sites to reform only to find out norse moral authority has been into the ground at a mere 17%. And entire -20% from failed prepared invasions alone. God dammit. No idea how I'm going to get enough moral authority in this characters lifetime.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Playing an Ironman game as Count of Capua, end up swearing fealty to the King of Italy (easier to seize parts of Sicily that way). After a hundred or so years, I own (or have vassalized) every single province in the Kingdom of Sicily, as well as two or three in Italy proper. Being a vassal, however, the King of Italy decides to form the Kingdom of Sicily as well. I figure I'll take the Kingdom of Italy, and use the fact that half of Sicily is my demense to score Sicily via usurping.

As soon as I win the war, though, the game gives every single one of my Sicilian provinces to the (former) King of Italy (now King of Sicily only), leaving me a wrong-culture king with a demense of one undeveloped Italian province. What the hell, game?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mustang posted:

Playing an ironman norse game and I get enough holy sites to reform only to find out norse moral authority has been into the ground at a mere 17%. And entire -20% from failed prepared invasions alone. God dammit. No idea how I'm going to get enough moral authority in this characters lifetime.

If you get all 5, you don't need the piety or authority requirements. So get working on grabbing them all, it's pretty easy once a Norse game gets rolling. You can also snap up all the 1 province nations in Ireland and the Baltic. Each of them is worth an extra 1%, and there are about a dozen OPMs. You can then snipe a province each from all the two/three province countries, and that's another 15% or so. Or just chain a raiding stack across the entire Baltic, every temple you raid is an extra 1%. For double credit, raid and then conquer a province for 2% each.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and if you ever get the cash - building temples also nets you some points.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

occipitallobe posted:

Playing an Ironman game as Count of Capua, end up swearing fealty to the King of Italy (easier to seize parts of Sicily that way). After a hundred or so years, I own (or have vassalized) every single province in the Kingdom of Sicily, as well as two or three in Italy proper. Being a vassal, however, the King of Italy decides to form the Kingdom of Sicily as well. I figure I'll take the Kingdom of Italy, and use the fact that half of Sicily is my demense to score Sicily via usurping.

As soon as I win the war, though, the game gives every single one of my Sicilian provinces to the (former) King of Italy (now King of Sicily only), leaving me a wrong-culture king with a demense of one undeveloped Italian province. What the hell, game?

That's pretty weird. What CA is Sicily at? If high, maybe that stopped the territory from passing outside the realm? Not sure, otherwise :(

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Allyn posted:

That's pretty weird. What CA is Sicily at? If high, maybe that stopped the territory from passing outside the realm? Not sure, otherwise :(

I'd managed to get it kicked down to autonomous, though Italy was at Medium. Either way, it's weird as gently caress.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

monster on a stick posted:

That is indeed BS, once my warscore dropped 10% because the rebels had taken some county in the middle of nowhere, while taking rebel counties gave me 0.3% back.

(Note to self: you know the pop-up you get about some random person deciding to raise an army to take your crown, and encourages you to just hit the 'assassinate' button until they die? Yeah be careful if they are vassals of your dynasty, and you've managed to land most of your dynasty - I ended up with kinslayer PLUS that event about someone telling all your vassals about what a terrible person you are, which I think adds up to -55 opinion. Good luck!)

And ESPECIALLY don't chain assassinate while the game is spawned. I tried that once, and had three failures.

I got three events from the same vassal immediately that said I broke the feudal contract, ending up with -90 relations, and -30 from being dishonorable. To every single vassal. Plus the guy I was trying to kill wasn't terribly pleased either. I just wanted that courtier dead so I could take his wife as a concubine :mad:.

Yeah, that was quite the civil war.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 22, 2014

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

One question : I personally have all of the meaningful expansions, but I have a friend who's interested in getting into the game without spending a lot of cash.

So, I advised him to at least get Old Gods to get in on the Viking raiding and pillaging; since most fixes and useful things were introduced with patches even in the base game afaik, what would he be actually missing by skipping the Islam - Republic - Byzantine - SoA packs ? Would he still get retinues and holy orders for example?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Holy Orders were rolled into the base game, iirc, but for Retinues you need LoR. Fortunately the AI won't use them, either, so it does work out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TorakFade posted:

One question : I personally have all of the meaningful expansions, but I have a friend who's interested in getting into the game without spending a lot of cash.

So, I advised him to at least get Old Gods to get in on the Viking raiding and pillaging; since most fixes and useful things were introduced with patches even in the base game afaik, what would he be actually missing by skipping the Islam - Republic - Byzantine - SoA packs ? Would he still get retinues and holy orders for example?

He will not have retinues without LoR. Islam and Republic are unlocks only.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Good then, he can safely skip Sword of Islanm and The Republic, if he really wants to be a Muslim/Serene Doge he can buy it later while still enjoying the full game in the meantime.

This way, since he'll pretty much forced to be a Christian when he tires of pillaging, Sons of Abraham would be a good pick too since pilgrimages and religious events are awesome.

Fake edit : a quick look at the steam store tells me CK2 + Old gods + SoA amounts to 65€ ... the full pack is 80€ but excludes Old Gods and SoA. I didn't realize until now how much I spent on this game :gonk: drat DLC and me being an indulgent wastrel!

They really should make a basic pack with CK2 + all "big" expansions , leaving out the fluff like unit, songs and portrait packs. It's a mess with all this DLC ...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 22, 2014

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I like the republic mode so far. It's harder to "blob" and cover the coast with trade posts, but without nobles you're free to get down to the nitty gritty of screwing anyone and everyone to promote your dynasty's interests.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Since late yesterday evening, my game has displayed "failed to save for unknown reasons".
I just turned off the screen and went to sleep, but it's still there.

I know it's not a lack of storage on steam cloud save (only using 9.87mb), and I don't think I'm using illegal characters in my file name.
Unfortunately, those are the only two possible reasons the game gives me.

Do any of you guys know a solution, or do I need to keep my computer on for days to finish the last 250 years of this iron man game?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I get that error occasionally, but it usually resolves itself within 10-20 minutes.

I'm trying out a republic game properly for the first time as Gotland. Are the +tax upgrades on the tradeposts worth getting early or should I just focus on upgrading the mansion and building more tradeposts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

I get that error occasionally, but it usually resolves itself within 10-20 minutes.

I'm trying out a republic game properly for the first time as Gotland. Are the +tax upgrades on the tradeposts worth getting early or should I just focus on upgrading the mansion and building more tradeposts.

If you are not already at your tradepost limit then you should rectify that as soon as possible. Mansion upgrades are more important than tradepost upgrades, because you will always have your mansion, not to mention that they are extremely powerful. The +tax upgrades are more of a long term project, get them whenever you can't build more tradeposts and don't need the money to fight wars. And don't forget the garrison upgrades for the essential +retinue limit upgrade!

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Is there an overview anywhere of what is affected by personal vs state attributes?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

EricBauman posted:

Since late yesterday evening, my game has displayed "failed to save for unknown reasons".
I just turned off the screen and went to sleep, but it's still there.

I know it's not a lack of storage on steam cloud save (only using 9.87mb), and I don't think I'm using illegal characters in my file name.
Unfortunately, those are the only two possible reasons the game gives me.

Do any of you guys know a solution, or do I need to keep my computer on for days to finish the last 250 years of this iron man game?
I'm getting this exact same problem with a smaller save since around the same time. Not sure if the error is on Steam's end or if Comcast has decided to be pissy about the 7mb uploads every other minute.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bobfly posted:

Is there an overview anywhere of what is affected by personal vs state attributes?

Hmm, off the top of my head:

State diplomacy influences your relations with all your direct vassals/your direct liege and, if you are an independent ruler, all other independent rulers.
Persobal diplomacy influences your relations with everybody else.

I don't think that state martial matters for anything.
Personal martial matters for the size of your personal levies and your ability to lead an army's flank/center.

State stewardship determines your demesne size and your personal demesne income bonus.
Personal stewardship is only for certain event choices.

I have no idea about intrigue.

As far as I can tell, state learning is never used in the game.
Personal learning influences your overall tech points acquisition.

Additionally, only your personal stats are considered for certain event choices (complaining over taxes -> flatter and soother him [personal diplomacy]/bribe him [personal stewardship]), and your ability to perform as your liege's steward/spymaster/etc. wholly rests on your personal stats, not your state stats.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

TorakFade posted:

Good then, he can safely skip Sword of Islanm and The Republic, if he really wants to be a Muslim/Serene Doge he can buy it later while still enjoying the full game in the meantime.
Fake edit : a quick look at the steam store tells me CK2 + Old gods + SoA amounts to 65€ ... the full pack is 80€ but excludes Old Gods and SoA. I didn't realize until now how much I spent on this game :gonk: drat DLC and me being an indulgent wastrel!

They really should make a basic pack with CK2 + all "big" expansions , leaving out the fluff like unit, songs and portrait packs. It's a mess with all this DLC ...

Rajas of India is coming out on Tuesday, there'll very possibly be a sale (hopefully; I'm planning on buying a bunch of the dlc then too :geno:).

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Antinumeric posted:

I like how from the 867 start Byzantium basically never falls. It goes to show how much they hosed up if the CK2 AI does a better job.

I just started an ironman CK2 game in a little while as the Babenberg count, and the Sunni jihad for Anatolia succeeds around 930 or so (Shia one fails). Constantinople falls a decade or so later. There's an Armenian Sultan of Georgia, the Umayyads took Aquitane twice, but lost it after 2 crusades but the Umayyad sultan in Morroco still claims Aquitaine as his title.

I'm just about to 1066 and eastern Europe is mainly Slavic and Romuva. The Karlings are just about ousted from power except in East Francia. Byzantium is still kicking in the Balkans. Shia is doing okay except for all the failed jihads in North Africa and West Africa. The Norse failed in the English isles and Hungary converted and didn't blob out.

Crusades and jihads started in 900 (12 so far).

My last map grab was after my ruler died and lots of civil wars so the borders are not quite the abomination shown here. I messed this up and did a recrop in imgur :effort:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
What happens to vassalized holy orders if their traditional lieges are granted independence? For example, I'm playing in Hispania so all my primary titles (all like six kingdoms, ugh, doubly so when the patch drops) are over there; I've got the Kingdom of Jerusalem as well, which I'm thinking of passing off to one of my dynasty member dukes in Jerusalem so that I can stop bothering with things happening in the Levant that aren't crusades/jihads, however I'm in the odd position of having taken the decisions to vassalize the Templars and Hospitallers. Will giving someone the King of Jerusalem title transfer over the holy order vassals as well? I don't think the actual ducal Grandmaster titles are technically de jure anywhere so I'm thinking they won't go with the title but since I'm playing on Ironman it's not like I can just reload a later save if I turn out to be wrong.

I think since the orders are technically vassals to my character, whose primary is the King of Leon, I'll keep the orders, but I'm not sure enough that I'd bet money on it or anything.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm getting this exact same problem with a smaller save since around the same time. Not sure if the error is on Steam's end or if Comcast has decided to be pissy about the 7mb uploads every other minute.

Mine apparently did get saved, even though it kept showing the message.

Only way to find out is resign and load, unfortunately, so that might cost you all the progress you've made since it stopped saving.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Am I just dumb or is the "seize city" CB only supposed to work on other countries/rulers?

I build some tradeposts on coast of Sweden figuring I could get some easy cities, but I guess that wasn't meant to be. Now I'm expanding eastwards into Finland and Estonia/Livonia instead.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Sheep posted:

What happens to vassalized holy orders if their traditional lieges are granted independence? For example, I'm playing in Hispania so all my primary titles (all like six kingdoms, ugh, doubly so when the patch drops) are over there; I've got the Kingdom of Jerusalem as well, which I'm thinking of passing off to one of my dynasty member dukes in Jerusalem so that I can stop bothering with things happening in the Levant that aren't crusades/jihads, however I'm in the odd position of having taken the decisions to vassalize the Templars and Hospitallers. Will giving someone the King of Jerusalem title transfer over the holy order vassals as well? I don't think the actual ducal Grandmaster titles are technically de jure anywhere so I'm thinking they won't go with the title but since I'm playing on Ironman it's not like I can just reload a later save if I turn out to be wrong.

I think since the orders are technically vassals to my character, whose primary is the King of Leon, I'll keep the orders, but I'm not sure enough that I'd bet money on it or anything.

As far as I remember if he is you vassal and he has the order as his own vassal and you grant him independence the order goes with him, if the order is your direct vassal then you keep them though I'm not 100% on that so don't take my word for it.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

MrBling posted:

Am I just dumb or is the "seize city" CB only supposed to work on other countries/rulers?

I build some tradeposts on coast of Sweden figuring I could get some easy cities, but I guess that wasn't meant to be. Now I'm expanding eastwards into Finland and Estonia/Livonia instead.

Yep, you can't use it on other vassals of your liege. You'll have to declare independent before you can grab those counties.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Cugel the Clever posted:

The cloud save is only uploaded after you exit CK2. Until then it's stored locally, but you can get that error message if you're not connected to steam or the internet. Best policy is to exit when you see it and make sure your connection is fine, then reload the game and try it again.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I want to continue playing a current game after the upcoming patch. I coped the CK2 folder to another directory, is there anything else I need to do?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Farecoal posted:

I want to continue playing a current game after the upcoming patch. I coped the CK2 folder to another directory, is there anything else I need to do?

No, that's enough. Backing up your save would not hurt, though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Farecoal posted:

If you just want to finish your game and aren't interested in checking out the new content at first, just right click the game in your games list, go to properties, then the update tab, and change it from "always keep the game up to date" to "do not automatically update this game".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On the subject of continuing current games, I'm torn, I'm really enjoying my current Norse Russia game, I've done better than I ever have before from the Rurik start, so want to continue. But starting another new Rurik game after the patch means I can have an even bigger Russia!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I wish they'd come out with some event packs or at least add some Shakespeare-like events, like meeting some witches as a Scot, or trying to solve your father's murder in Denmark. Of course a Hamlet event would result in a game-over but still... :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JGBeagle posted:

I wish they'd come out with some event packs or at least add some Shakespeare-like events, like meeting some witches as a Scot, or trying to solve your father's murder in Denmark. Of course a Hamlet event would result in a game-over but still... :allears:

Why not some Chaucer in England as well? Also game over via Hamlet would be the /best/ game over ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoinker
Jan 18, 2009
I could see a 'Moor of venice' event popping up if you're in the habit of inviting superior-statted courtiers.

• Locked thread