Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

porktree posted:

A ticket came in.. HR has purchased a half-dozen TV's to display 'Company News' to put in the break rooms. Now they want to know how they get the news from their PC to the TV. Maybe they should have thought about that earlier in the process, but HR.

So, I'm thinking quick and cheap is a bunch of Chromecasts, have one PC with multiple Chrome windows and voila! But this is a little outside my area of expertise. Is that a good way to do it, are there things I could make them buy that would work better? Anyone else doing something similar?

I have a client with four TVs on the walls around the office, normally showing Bloomberg TV, but they did ask me to put on the Olympic hockey games and now March Madness games. Anyway they all use these and there's one computer in the server room as the source. Works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

I guess your new duties won't be anything too unfamiliar.

Neither will his new salary. :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

Neither will his new salary. :v:

I wonder if his is one of those companies where every employee is a VP.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Biggest concern about my new job:

one of them lurks SA.

Don't know how to deal with this.

Find out if he's cool or not.

If so, then post away

If not, then decimate him

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Migishu posted:

Find out if he's cool or not.

If so, then post away

If not, then decimate him

Why would destroying 10% of him help?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

one of them lurks SA.

I don't give a gently caress about ponies, but you really need to get your VCDX and get in a position where you have minions who pretend to give a poo poo about ponies in order to get on your good side, kind of like that episode of The Office where everyone pretended to care about Soccer.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't give a gently caress about ponies, but you really need to get your VCDX and get in a position where you have minions who pretend to give a poo poo about ponies in order to get on your good side, kind of like that episode of The Office where everyone pretended to care about Soccer.

Ughhh, I guess I should explain my reason for avatars, it's long overdue. I grew up with farmers(mother was one), horse/farm owners, even went to a private school where most the teachers owned farms, and I own horses. I grew up around horses and ponies and think they are cooler/smart than dogs. I hate 90% of bronies; however it's usually the first thing any goon asks when I meet them. I'm actually the 'black sheep' of my family who didn't pursue a music/farmer/workinginachurch path; and reminded of it often(might explain some of my rambit posting from my past). But enough of E/N.

My main reason I am concerned about working with a goon is just, I dunno feels awkward? I mean I've introduced people I teach with to SA; but work 5 days a week? Anyone else work with a goon?

Sorry I was attempting to go to sleep but lo an behold I get assaulted by 3 cops at 3 am about some stupid poo poo because I was buying milk....

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

one of them lurks SA.

It could be worse. It could be that the person who sits next to you at work reads this thread and is a seldom contributor in this thread - and that he got me into this thread.

Hi, colleague!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
What if you just don't bring up an Internet website at work like a normal person?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ughhh, I guess I should explain my reason for avatars, it's long overdue. I grew up with farmers(mother was one), horse/farm owners, even went to a private school where most the teachers owned farms, and I own horses. I grew up around horses and ponies and think they are cooler/smart than dogs. I hate 90% of bronies; however it's usually the first thing any goon asks when I meet them. I'm actually the 'black sheep' of my family who didn't pursue a music/farmer/workinginachurch path; and reminded of it often(might explain some of my rambit posting from my past). But enough of E/N.

My main reason I am concerned about working with a goon is just, I dunno feels awkward? I mean I've introduced people I teach with to SA; but work 5 days a week? Anyone else work with a goon?

Sorry I was attempting to go to sleep but lo an behold I get assaulted by 3 cops at 3 am about some stupid poo poo because I was buying milk....

I work with two "goons". One is a dude I knew for years prior to his posting here (and working with) and the other is a guy who barely lurks and only got an account because of us. I wouldn't want any other coworker looking over my posts on SA though. I already self censor a bit of the annoying aspects of my job because of the other two guys even though they know most of my complaints.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fil5000 posted:

Why would destroying 10% of him help?

If it's the ten percent that posts...

For context, I made my wife a goon. She tried posting in GWS, and everyone poo poo all over her because her recipes (which taste great BTW) would "never work" and "must be awful" despite other goons saying "yeah I tried that before, it was pretty good!" Now she just lurks.

gently caress GWS is what I'm trying to say I guess.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That's more or less what I saw last time I ventured into GWS. I think GWS has more people that read about cooking than people that actually cook anything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Anyone else work with a goon?

Yeah, I got my current position via the SH/SC job posting thread and now the person responsible is my direct-report boss. I also think my coworker has an account but I dunno if they ever post.

I've never had anything I've posted brought up as an issue and I self-censor enough that it should be difficult to know who we are, so as long as it remains not an issue, it's not an issue, IMO.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
I actually got my first internship from posting on SA, I was talking about hacking the university network to get around their requirement of using Symantec and he PMed me and asked me not to hack their network. We kept chatting and when his department needed a new intern he brought me in. We never referenced it at work though.

My current boss is a redditor and is a great guy other than he talks about how much he hates SA every now and again.

Personally I think internet and real life should be separate and that it's really immature to bring up edrama in meatspace.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Galler posted:

That's more or less what I saw last time I ventured into GWS. I think GWS has more people that read about cooking than people that actually cook anything.

That doesn't bother me so much as the folks who think every meal must be perfection and will flat out tell you you're a terrible piece of poo poo for enjoying the foods you like. Oh, and if you've tried a certain food a bunch of times and still don't like it you're a child and need to grow up.

Somebody wanted to pick up a nice set of salt and pepper shakers. One of the resident assholes told him "A good cook should be aware of what they need to do for their diners and if there are sensitivities, adjustments should be made before service, which is what I do when feeding said people." And another: "Salt shakers are stupid, and if you need one at the table, you have failed as a cook."

...so I stopped visiting GWS (other than the industry thread, the holier than thou amateurs don't get much traction in there)

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

Personally I think internet and real life should be separate and that it's really immature to bring up edrama in meatspace.

Unless it's about blackswordca.

Then it's entirely appropriate.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I was too tempted by my company's referral scheme, so I now work with one goon, and will soon have another in our US office. There's nothing wrong with working with goons (in fact I live with MY GIRLFRIEND goon), though it has meant that I can't post about some news that I'm keen to post about until the official announcement tomorrow.

At least I enjoy my job, so I'm not tempted to write about how all my co-workers are jerks or anything like that. But even still, having access to anonymous support can be pretty helpful at times, and I've probably lost access to that (in exchange for $5000 of bonuses).

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NZAmoeba posted:

I was too tempted by my company's referral scheme, so I now work with one goon, and will soon have another in our US office. There's nothing wrong with working with goons (in fact I live with MY GIRLFRIEND goon), though it has meant that I can't post about some news that I'm keen to post about until the official announcement tomorrow.

At least I enjoy my job, so I'm not tempted to write about how all my co-workers are jerks or anything like that. But even still, having access to anonymous support can be pretty helpful at times, and I've probably lost access to that (in exchange for $5000 of bonuses).

Congrats on becoming a dad

and/or husband

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MisterOblivious posted:

...so I stopped visiting GWS (other than the industry thread, the holier than thou amateurs don't get much traction in there)
The only good thing to come out of GWS is the chickencheese thread.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I work next to a second line engineer; he watches me surf SH/SC all the time. I'm worried he's a goon and is following my posts :tinfoil:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CEO decided that our cell phone bill was too high and wants to replace almost everyone's work-provided smartphones with a $30 stipend. I managed to talk her into exempting me as well, but this isn't going to go over well with everyone else.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

wa27 posted:

CEO decided that our cell phone bill was too high and wants to replace almost everyone's work-provided smartphones with a $30 stipend. I managed to talk her into exempting me as well, but this isn't going to go over well with everyone else.

Now this is leadership! Costs are too high. Let's make that someone elses fault! I hope people refuse the stipend and just say "gently caress you" to off hours calls now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

wa27 posted:

"As you are only paying half of my phone bill, I will only answer it half of the time."

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Volmarias posted:

"As you are only paying half of my phone bill, I will only answer it half of the time."

Around here? That's still generous.

e: To clarify, this morning I needed an on call guy or one of his underlings, it took me seven phone calls across three people until I finally got somebody.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 23, 2014

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Friday at 4:00, an 'emergency' ticket comes in. The QA team wants an update done to some software so they can test on Sunday.
So Friday night I spend 2 hours updating things, getting it all running, and fire off an email to my boss that it's complete.

Sunday morning rolls around, and the testing lead, a complete jackass with no idea how to do his job, waits until 11am to fire off an email to me, my boss, the VP and the CIO, with a couple CCs of other manager and higher level types, that they are 'calling off' the testing due to 'receiving no support and having no idea if the update was complete'. He calls me out specifically asking why the updates aren't done even though I had asked him on Friday when the best time to do it would be.

My boss throws me under the bus, asking why I didn't let anyone know I was done.

This is not the first time I've put up with this poo poo. The testing team couldn't find their rear end with a map and 2 friends, and they never seem to get requests in until the very last minute, then expect them done well outside SLA as a 'favor' and a 'one time thing'.

If this goes the way I think it will, I am going to be spending next week looking for a new job.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Antioch posted:

Friday at 4:00, an 'emergency' ticket comes in. The QA team wants an update done to some software so they can test on Sunday.
So Friday night I spend 2 hours updating things, getting it all running, and fire off an email to my boss that it's complete.

Sunday morning rolls around, and the testing lead, a complete jackass with no idea how to do his job, waits until 11am to fire off an email to me, my boss, the VP and the CIO, with a couple CCs of other manager and higher level types, that they are 'calling off' the testing due to 'receiving no support and having no idea if the update was complete'. He calls me out specifically asking why the updates aren't done even though I had asked him on Friday when the best time to do it would be.

My boss throws me under the bus, asking why I didn't let anyone know I was done.

This is not the first time I've put up with this poo poo. The testing team couldn't find their rear end with a map and 2 friends, and they never seem to get requests in until the very last minute, then expect them done well outside SLA as a 'favor' and a 'one time thing'.

If this goes the way I think it will, I am going to be spending next week looking for a new job.

Do you have that down in an email trail? There's nothing wrong with replying, saying "Please see email X (Attached) to yourself asking for clarification on when to perform the updates, and email Y to my boss letting him know this was done" - Bonus points if you keep everyone in the CC bomb involved!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I want this for my office.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

wa27 posted:

Thats a bunch of people that should be saying 'No'

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Do you have that down in an email trail? There's nothing wrong with replying, saying "Please see email X (Attached) to yourself asking for clarification on when to perform the updates, and email Y to my boss letting him know this was done" - Bonus points if you keep everyone in the CC bomb involved!
This is the correct course of action. Never tell anyone in person that something is done, always use email so you have a paper trail to throw in people's faces when they're being dicks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yep. gently caress corporate foodchain sensitivities. If your boss throws you under the bus, quid pro quo the fucker.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Yep. gently caress corporate foodchain sensitivities. If your boss throws you under the bus, quid pro quo the fucker.

Oh yeah, its all in the email chain. It hasn't mattered before, it won't matter today.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Antioch posted:

Oh yeah, its all in the email chain. It hasn't mattered before, it won't matter today.
BCC a copy to your home email so they can't deny you unemployment.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

martyrdumb posted:

BCC a copy to your home email so they can't deny you unemployment.

Oh no, I didn't mean I'm going to get fired or anything. We didn't fire the guy who turned off the fire supression in the DC so he could smoke in there, they won't fire me over this. Just that this might be the impetus I need to :yotj: finally.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
What was our acting PDC was just disconnected from the network to make sure nothing is still pointing at it for ldap lookups and other authentication services, with a planned retirement tomorrow at 4pm. No issues so far, but the real test will be Monday morning when everyone comes into work :ohdear:

One 2003 DC down, three more to go...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Antioch posted:

Oh no, I didn't mean I'm going to get fired or anything. We didn't fire the guy who turned off the fire supression in the DC so he could smoke in there, they won't fire me over this. Just that this might be the impetus I need to :yotj: finally.

Might as well start looking now, get that resume polished up and try to find something sooner than later. This way, when this kind of bullshit happens again, you can not only throw it in someone's face, but give your 2 weeks at the same time.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

PCOS Bill posted:

Congrats on becoming a dad

and/or husband

Nope!

:yotj:

I've been promoted to the Team Lead of Production. I've never had authority over other human beings before so I'm a little freaked out. They're gonna send me on some management courses so I can not be utterly hopeless though! It also means I have to move from a city I really love, Wellington, to a city I used to bag all the time, Auckland.

But career wise it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. I'm also going to hire the new team we're creating up there.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
"Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" error for only a single site, only in IE, and only on this one computer, for all user accounts on that computer. I'm kindof at a loss on what else to do and am looking for suggestions. This is a new deployment of our Windows 7 base image and this is the only one having issues.

I have:
Reset IE too many times to count
Cleared the DNS resolver cache
Verified the HOSTS file isn't doing anything stupid
Safe Booted the machine
Downgraded IE9->IE8
Cleared the SSL state
Added the website to the Trusted Sites list
Run NSLookup on the site and tried to load it by IP.
Shut off everything non-MS in msconfig.
Compared GPEdit on affected and nonaffected machines to make sure there's no fuckery there.
Done a regedit search for the IP and website to make sure there's no fuckery there.

I can't for the life of me think what else to do other than reimage it, but since we don't have an MDT server at my site and our connection blows, I have to kidnap the workstation for the day and go down to the main office to image it. I'd like to avoid doing that if at all possible since I can't get any other work done. It's just loving weird. Doesn't matter who's logged into the machine, same error. Same user logs in on another machine, no problems. Website opens fine in Chrome and Firefox on the affected machine.

https://westonproject.net if that helps.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Have you tried to run the website in IE Compatibility Mode?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
It's an HTTPS site - have you checked the time/timezone? Can you see if the certificate is missing one of the certs in the chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

"Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage" error for only a single site, only in IE, and only on this one computer, for all user accounts on that computer. I'm kindof at a loss on what else to do and am looking for suggestions. This is a new deployment of our Windows 7 base image and this is the only one having issues.

I have:
Reset IE too many times to count
Cleared the DNS resolver cache
Verified the HOSTS file isn't doing anything stupid
Safe Booted the machine
Downgraded IE9->IE8
Cleared the SSL state
Added the website to the Trusted Sites list
Run NSLookup on the site and tried to load it by IP.
Shut off everything non-MS in msconfig.
Compared GPEdit on affected and nonaffected machines to make sure there's no fuckery there.
Done a regedit search for the IP and website to make sure there's no fuckery there.

I can't for the life of me think what else to do other than reimage it, but since we don't have an MDT server at my site and our connection blows, I have to kidnap the workstation for the day and go down to the main office to image it. I'd like to avoid doing that if at all possible since I can't get any other work done. It's just loving weird. Doesn't matter who's logged into the machine, same error. Same user logs in on another machine, no problems. Website opens fine in Chrome and Firefox on the affected machine.

https://westonproject.net if that helps.
Just tell them to use chrome and change all IE shortcuts to launch Chrome.

Done!

• Locked thread