Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tyma posted:

It's an weighted algorhythm based on the stats that are tracked during the match and sent to the coaching teams. It essentially boils down to which 15 players contributed the most, while loving up the least.

Unfortunately, the raw stats aren't released to the public, or we'd be able to make some awesome graphs :{

Just draw your own graphs in MS paint and don't put any scales on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Burrell, Lawes and Launchbury all had really good campaigns, I could've seen Tuilagi pushing BOD for the 13 spot too if he wasn't injured.

Really happy to see so many Irish players in it, especially Devin Toner and Andrew Trimble. I was really sceptical about Toner as a Test level player but he upped his game this year, he's seriously impressive in line outs and while he's always going to be too big a target to carry effectively he has a great set of hands and always does a good bit of work getting around the pitch.

Trimble is just the nicest guy you'll ever meet though, happy he played his way back into the squad after Kidney dropped him and had such a good campaign. Absolutely tireless for Ulster and Ireland, he chases every kick hard and while he isn't flashy he has a nose for the goal line.

Looking back on things I'm really happy with how Ireland played, hopefully Schmidt can build on this year and not do a Kidney and poo poo the bed after some early success.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

gently caress I love Nick Cummins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcoFn3s7KM

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Best post-match interview, ever!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

I think that's a wee bit unfair. Scotland looked directionless this year because Johnson had just given up and didn't give a poo poo, as shown by his total lack of desire to pull a forward off in place of putting Cuthbert at fullback when Hogg got sent off.

Scotland are still nowhere near Ireland, Wales or England but there are more than a few good players in the squad and a good coach can get much more out of them than Johnson ever did.

We just awarded the guy who didn't give a poo poo and made Scotland a directionless, demoralized team the Director of Rugby position. The SRU promoted failure. Any other team - hell any other organisation - would have thrown Johnson out, if not shot him, but nope; we promote him!

Cotter has to contend not only with a team that is in tatters, but an organisation that is inverse toward improving. There's no way he can hope to improve the team while clowns are in charge.

Truth be told, I'm sort of in support of Scotland being thrown out the 6 nations until we put our house in order. We simply aren't good enough and its become a joke that's no longer funny.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tyma posted:

He looks like he really, really looks like he should be playing in the #10 shirt.

What's the big difference between Stand-off and Fly-Half that makes him more suited to Full-Back?

Remember that while in Union the fly-half is generally the first receiver, in League the stand-off is usually the second receiver. At the same time, the stand-off in League has to do a lot of the punting (and often place-kicking), whereas the fullback in League rarely kicks. So I think playing fullback for the Blues gives Marshall the additional space from the ruck (which he wouldn't have if he were usually in the pivot role of fly-half), the flexibility to insert at different places in in the line, and the opportunity to punt.

I did notice (and so did the commentators) that he wasn't dropping back as much as an experienced rugby fullback, mostly because the lack of a tackle count means he may not be anticipating the punt as well.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

WMain00 posted:

We just awarded the guy who didn't give a poo poo and made Scotland a directionless, demoralized team the Director of Rugby position. The SRU promoted failure. Any other team - hell any other organisation - would have thrown Johnson out, if not shot him, but nope; we promote him!

Cotter has to contend not only with a team that is in tatters, but an organisation that is inverse toward improving. There's no way he can hope to improve the team while clowns are in charge.

Truth be told, I'm sort of in support of Scotland being thrown out the 6 nations until we put our house in order. We simply aren't good enough and its become a joke that's no longer funny.

But he was promoted on the strength of coming third in the Six Nations last year, which is better than any coach has come in 8 years. He did a pretty decent job with what he had, it's just this year has been a total shambles. I think this year he did far more damage than good but he was getting the Director job regardless of results this year and already had the contract so the SRU couldn't fire him.

Removal from the Six Nations is bollocks, Ireland and Wales have gone through loving awful patches in the Five Nations championship and no one was calling for them to be thrown out, Italy are even worse than Scotland and I can't see anyone wanting them removed either, it's just sky-is-falling reactionary crap that would kill Scottish rugby (which is in enough trouble as it is) stone dead if it actually happened instead of putting our house in order.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

WMain00 posted:

You finished above Italy this year though, where does that leave them?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody's talking about kicking out the Welsh, and their house is a loving bomb site.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

But he was promoted on the strength of coming third in the Six Nations last year, which is better than any coach has come in 8 years. He did a pretty decent job with what he had, it's just this year has been a total shambles. I think this year he did far more damage than good but he was getting the Director job regardless of results this year and already had the contract so the SRU couldn't fire him.

Removal from the Six Nations is bollocks, Ireland and Wales have gone through loving awful patches in the Five Nations championship and no one was calling for them to be thrown out, Italy are even worse than Scotland and I can't see anyone wanting them removed either, it's just sky-is-falling reactionary crap that would kill Scottish rugby (which is in enough trouble as it is) stone dead if it actually happened instead of putting our house in order.

We came third last year because the other teams had varying results - it seems to be very much forgotten that we only won two games.

EDIT: His overall tenure in charge is worse than Robinson and Hadden. His record is played 16, won 5, lost 11. His overall record is played 23, won 6, lost 16, drawn once. Does this really read like Director of Rugby material to you?

Ireland and Wales went through awful patches but came out of it stronger, wiser and now leading, competitive teams within the Six Nations. Scotland has went through 14 years of failure, with no real improvement in any area and no real competitive edge. We stutter out the occasional win, but at no point do we ever look close to the other nations. Professional rugby in that time has become an utter shambles, the SRU has become a yes-man middle management bureau and the 1st team has went through coach after coach and player after player without ever finding solid ground.

quote:

You finished above Italy this year though, where does that leave them?

Knowing the SRU, content because we didn't get the wooden spoon. :suicide:

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 18, 2014

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Well Director of Rugby and head coach are two entirely different roles so who knows how he'll do. Can't be any worse than the SRU are doing on their own without one.

Scotland is far behind the other nations as far as organisation is concerned and this is a step in the right direction, whether Johnson is a better Director than he is coach remains to be seen, so I'll reserve judgement til then and ignore calls for Scotland to be taken out of the tournament because that's just an rear end-backwards suggestion.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WMain00 posted:

EDIT: His overall tenure in charge is worse than Robinson and Hadden. His record is played 16, won 5, lost 11. His overall record is played 23, won 6, lost 16, drawn once. Does this really read like Director of Rugby material to you?

He's expected to be a very good Director of Rugby though, it's a totally different skillset and different job.

Scotland have performed poorly but it takes an alignment of the stars for Scotland to do well, we don't have the player bases of France, England, Wales or Ireland and that is not the coaches fault in anyway. We need to get away from this short termism which is really negative and has caused a lot of the issues we have in Scotland. We need a Director of rugby to really drive participation and attendance to games. In the past we've tended to do one or the other but we really need both, more players and people to watch them and be passionate about the game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

He's expected to be a very good Director of Rugby though, it's a totally different skillset and different job.

Scotland have performed poorly but it takes an alignment of the stars for Scotland to do well, we don't have the player bases of France, England, Wales or Ireland and that is not the coaches fault in anyway. We need to get away from this short termism which is really negative and has caused a lot of the issues we have in Scotland. We need a Director of rugby to really drive participation and attendance to games. In the past we've tended to do one or the other but we really need both, more players and people to watch them and be passionate about the game.

You'll get neither by driving forward a Director of Rugby whose past experience and history does not warrant his promotion to the role.

I'd be fascinated to see what our Welsh/Irish/English supporters think of this. Would you be as eager to appoint Johnson as Director of Rugby given his history?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

WMain00 posted:

I'd be fascinated to see what our Welsh/Irish/English supporters think of this. Would you be as eager to appoint Johnson as Director of Rugby given his history?

gently caress no. Im welsh and he was perfect in his role as "skills coach" or whatever the gently caress he was, hes proven himself unsuited for any higher position. Director of rugby in Scotland is tasking him with essentially rebuilding the game from the grass roots/school levels up. That role requires a whole range of skills that im doubtful he has. I would however be happy to be proven wrong.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The way Israel Dagg's been playing this season, he might not have stopped taking the pills.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/nzru-confirms-all-blacks-sleeping-pill-use-20140320-hvkui.html

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Warren Gatland is apparantly the smartest man in the world after all!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-reveals-plan-wales-6852064

Rhys Priestland XV vs Dan Biggar XV in a televised match, with starting spots and captaincy decided by the winning team? It sounds like something The Western Mail would make up, but the proposed date completely undermines The Ospreys and The Scarlets' ability to reach the Playoffs, so I'm actually inclined to believe it's somewhat true.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Tyma posted:

Warren Gatland is apparantly the smartest man in the world after all!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-reveals-plan-wales-6852064

Rhys Priestland XV vs Dan Biggar XV in a televised match, with starting spots and captaincy decided by the winning team? It sounds like something The Western Mail would make up, but the proposed date completely undermines The Ospreys and The Scarlets' ability to reach the Playoffs, so I'm actually inclined to believe it's somewhat true.

This is cool. I remember Henry organised some trial games before the 99 World Cup and it owned.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
There's not much point in calling it 'Propables' vs 'Possibles',with Gatland it's 'The 23 I will pick' vs 'James Hook,Dan Biggar and the rest'.

e:Stephen Ferris starts his first match since 2012 tomorrow! :)and it's not being televised :(.

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2014

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I don't just dress them up in traditional Celtic clothing and make them fight to the death in the millennium stadium with the winner being the next captain.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Kitchner posted:

I don't just dress them up in traditional Celtic clothing and make them fight to the death in the millennium stadium with the winner being the next captain.

Glad I still have this :

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That hurricanes try was really good. Shame about the rest of the game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WMain00 posted:

You'll get neither by driving forward a Director of Rugby whose past experience and history does not warrant his promotion to the role.

But being a coach and director of rugby have absolutely no similarities at all. He was only ever interim coach whilst we found a replacement as his background and experience show he is suited to the director role. Now if you want to attack his appointment as the Director of rugby based on his past experience then go for it, but you cannot based on his coaching record as that would like saying someone makes a bad Scrum half as they're awful at sudoku.

We've had exactly 3 coaches in history with a positive win rate, Bill Dickinson, Jim Telfer and Ian McGeechan. We keep on criticizing our coaches and getting new ones as if it's going to be some panacea whilst retaining all the same back room staff between head coaches and doing nothing to change the underlying culture in Scottish Rugby. Vern Cotter is going to have a losing record as Scotland coach as nothing has really changed, what can he do when all the backroom staff are the same, the players are the same and engagement of from grassroots rugby is the same.

What we need is a all round strategy for promoting rugby and developing new players to the point where we can support at least 3 fully competitive teams in Scotland. Until we have at least 3 pro teams Scotland will never be competitive on an international stage.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
What's the Scottish club game like these days? I heard from a few people that it was pretty much destroyed by the SRU through mismanagement and lack of funding, but that was a few years ago and I think they were just bitter that their own club went to poo poo.

I can't see any other way to build than from the bottom up. Ireland get by on a strong schools and club infrastructure, with the AIL and provincial club leagues giving thousands of people who want into rugby an opportunity to do so, where do the SRU think the talent's coming from if they neglect the grassroots levels? Of course success in the 6N would in theory get more people involved, but what's the use of getting them to play the game in Scotland if the club level is a pile of shite? Whoever gets the job has a hell of a task in front of them.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Lions Raw is currently £5 at Amazon.

-

The Western Mail ran an opinion poll, to ask "Which Welsh player do you want to play at #10 on the tour of South Africa"

Dan Biggar: 74.96%
James Hook: 22.27%
Rhys Priestland: 2.78%

Tyma fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 22, 2014

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Are the Blues going to bottle it? I'm kinda hoping the Cheetahs get something from their tour, they're one of the more positive SA side and can play some really nice Rugby.

e: That's some suicidal defence right there.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Unimpressed posted:

Are the Blues going to bottle it? I'm kinda hoping the Cheetahs get something from their tour, they're one of the more positive SA side and can play some really nice Rugby.

e: That's some suicidal defence right there.

The Cheetahs are this seasons :smith:est side. I really thought after last year they'd pull something together but they had a pretty brutal start.

Meanwhile the Lions...:psyduck: Every week I keep waiting for them to collapse and it doesn't happen.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Unimpressed posted:

Are the Blues going to bottle it?

No - but they did their best in the last 15 minutes by deciding to be rubbish at the set-piece again.

I just got back from the game and was happy with the result and seeing Kaino back. However they need to be a lot better in the set-pieces than they are and clean up their defense out wide.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I missed the second half. The setpiece in the first half was going reasonably well, so I guess the Blues decided to be the Blues, then.

Also, another shocker by the referees in a game involving the Blues. At least this time they were the beneficiaries of it. The ref was actually doing quite well up to that point as well. Judging from the way he was talking to the players, it was clear his English is only passable, so the unnecessarily convoluted TMO call must have confused him. It also appeared he was asking for clarification from one of the assistant refs, but I guess he did a rubbish job too.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

I missed the second half. The setpiece in the first half was going reasonably well, so I guess the Blues decided to be the Blues, then.

True - but then Parsons went off and McCartney came on...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

The Brumbies were looking pretty good considering all their injuries. The only thing that bothered me about them today and last week is that they're pretty cynical when the opposition gets inside their 22. They're not the only ones by any means, but they are worse than most. I really wish the refs were quicker with the yellow card for repeated offences. Warning them at the 75th minute was too little, too late. Right now, the balance of things is that it's well worth giving away a penalty and stopping the attack. The team on the offensive then have to risk a lineout or a scrum instead of being able to play the ball they had.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

What's the Scottish club game like these days? I heard from a few people that it was pretty much destroyed by the SRU through mismanagement and lack of funding, but that was a few years ago and I think they were just bitter that their own club went to poo poo.

I can't see any other way to build than from the bottom up. Ireland get by on a strong schools and club infrastructure, with the AIL and provincial club leagues giving thousands of people who want into rugby an opportunity to do so, where do the SRU think the talent's coming from if they neglect the grassroots levels? Of course success in the 6N would in theory get more people involved, but what's the use of getting them to play the game in Scotland if the club level is a pile of shite? Whoever gets the job has a hell of a task in front of them.

The clubs are mostly amateur with a few semi-pros. The top 4 teams from the Premier Division go into the British & Irish cup. Of those, Ayr are the only team to have had any kind of success in that competition, they got to the knock out rounds in 2011. It's tough for them going up against professional English and Irish sides. When rugby went professional they were a little bit more competitive but it was the right decision to introduce professional district sides. That pissed off the clubs though and in some quarters they haven't forgiven the SRU for that.

The biggest problem in Scottish rugby I think is how disjointed it all is. There isn't a unified youth system until players get signed into the professional development system. Of these, some players come from their clubs, some come from the independent schools, and the independent schools refuse to play against the clubs (since they wouldn't be able to offer scholarships to nick the best club players). There are 4!!! national leagues so teams who can barely scrape together a 2nd XV are having to travel from the Aberdeen down to the Borders. And those teams are losing a huge number of games to bad weather every winter. Ideally, the season would be moved to summer and the number of teams playing in national competitions reduced, but clubs in the lower tiers do not like that idea at all. They see it as the top tier kicking the ladder out from under them.

The SRU's biggest mistake was renovating Murrayfield just before the game went pro and getting saddled with debt that left them unable to fund the professional game properly. It's ironic that because the IRFU didn't renovate Landsdown Road they didn't get in the same debt and were able to fund the regions properly, get European success, build huge support and then build the stadium to capitalise on it. If only the SRU had been poorer in the early 90's, that could of been us!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

butros posted:

Meanwhile the Lions...:psyduck: Every week I keep waiting for them to collapse and it doesn't happen.

...aaaaaand they just won again :wtc:? Can't wait to catch the replay to see how the Reds butchered that - 2 yellows in the last 10 minutes?!?!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Painkiller posted:

The clubs are mostly amateur with a few semi-pros. The top 4 teams from the Premier Division go into the British & Irish cup. Of those, Ayr are the only team to have had any kind of success in that competition, they got to the knock out rounds in 2011. It's tough for them going up against professional English and Irish sides. When rugby went professional they were a little bit more competitive but it was the right decision to introduce professional district sides. That pissed off the clubs though and in some quarters they haven't forgiven the SRU for that.

The biggest problem in Scottish rugby I think is how disjointed it all is. There isn't a unified youth system until players get signed into the professional development system. Of these, some players come from their clubs, some come from the independent schools, and the independent schools refuse to play against the clubs (since they wouldn't be able to offer scholarships to nick the best club players). There are 4!!! national leagues so teams who can barely scrape together a 2nd XV are having to travel from the Aberdeen down to the Borders. And those teams are losing a huge number of games to bad weather every winter. Ideally, the season would be moved to summer and the number of teams playing in national competitions reduced, but clubs in the lower tiers do not like that idea at all. They see it as the top tier kicking the ladder out from under them.

The SRU's biggest mistake was renovating Murrayfield just before the game went pro and getting saddled with debt that left them unable to fund the professional game properly. It's ironic that because the IRFU didn't renovate Landsdown Road they didn't get in the same debt and were able to fund the regions properly, get European success, build huge support and then build the stadium to capitalise on it. If only the SRU had been poorer in the early 90's, that could of been us!

This, basically.

That and the SRU scouting system is very "old school club" based. It took Sean Lineen while in Glasgow to look beyond the private school teams and the "friend of a family" attitude to bring in talent such as Weir, who comes from an absolutely nowhere background wise (comprehensive high school followed by a stint at my home College). The SRU doesn't look at talent - it goes by old school tie attitudes and who you know, rather than how good you are. There are alot of teams in Scotland that field very good players, but are not even glanced at by the scouting system.

Unfortunately its not getting any better. The SRU is now taking the attitude of "lets look overseas because there's nothing here", rather than restructuring to bring in talent from home.

Basically we're hosed.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Just read that Israel Folau has scored 8 tries so far in 4 games. According to wikipedia the record for most tries by an individual in a season is 15 (Joe Roff and Rico Gear) :regd08:

Mister Chief posted:

Imagine how many he could score if he played for a good team.

true

on the computer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 23, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

WMain00 posted:

This, basically.

That and the SRU scouting system is very "old school club" based. It took Sean Lineen while in Glasgow to look beyond the private school teams and the "friend of a family" attitude to bring in talent such as Weir, who comes from an absolutely nowhere background wise (comprehensive high school followed by a stint at my home College). The SRU doesn't look at talent - it goes by old school tie attitudes and who you know, rather than how good you are. There are alot of teams in Scotland that field very good players, but are not even glanced at by the scouting system.

Unfortunately its not getting any better. The SRU is now taking the attitude of "lets look overseas because there's nothing here", rather than restructuring to bring in talent from home.

Basically we're hosed.

Very good article in the Sunday Times today that lays it all out.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/sport/rugby_union/Internationals/article1390845.ece

quote:

I’D LIKE to think I know a little about rugby in Scotland, having played, coached and been a supporter of the game at the highest level here for the best part of 20 years. Despite not being born in this country, I am a Scotland fan and I want to see our national side beating the best sides in the world.

There is a bigger pool of talent in this country than we are currently tapping into. We have talented and passionate people involved from top to bottom but the game in Scotland desperately needs an identity and a pathway.

The problems started in the mid-90s, when the game turned professional. Jim Telfer, then the national coach and the most influential figure in this country, was a big fan of New Zealand rugby. The game there is based on a provincial system, which Telfer wished to replicate with our new district set-up. Jim was keen for the game to have an even spread of talent across the country and not have a geographical pull towards a club system dominated by teams in Edinburgh and the Borders. After all, if Edinburgh couldn’t maintain two professional football clubs in profit what chance would three or four rugby sides in the city have?

But the New Zealand rugby union is made up of 26 provincial unions, each of which is considered a stakeholder and guardian of the game there. These 26 provincial unions are represented on the NZRU board by six delegates chosen on a geographical basis. New Zealand is split into three geographical areas — North, Central and South — and each region has two representatives drawn from the provinces in those regions.

During the upheaval that came when the game abandoned amateurism, the Scottish Rugby Union not only failed to drive through this kind of district set-up but also neglected to create the same constitutional structure as their counterparts in New Zealand to govern the game.

In New Zealand six elected officials represent 26 provincial unions and 500 clubs on the NZRU board. The SRU on the other hand is made up of about 190 rugby clubs who are all equal voting stakeholders and their majority support is required to push through any fundamental change.

The New Zealand structure ensures that the game is devolved regionally and that the provincial union, in which local clubs are represented, develops the game in its area through development officers and the selection and running of the provincial representative sides.

In Scotland, we created four professional district teams with no stakeholders and no fans, while not adding an additional administrative level to manage the game regionally. This meant we retained the 190 clubs having a direct say in the running of the Scottish Rugby Union and with it the game nationally. We also kept the development of the game centrally run.

We should have made every club a stakeholder in their new district team. The Irish model is the same as New Zealand’s. Successful provinces such as Leinster were formed by the local club sides who remain partners.

We created sides with little or no traditional or emotional following. To confuse things further we had a situation where we allowed players to play their club rugby in one district but represent a professional franchise somewhere else. Who should the fans of that club side support?

We should also have altered the union’s constitution and devolved the development of the game to district unions and the local clubs to which they would now be accountable — releasing the SRU to look after the national representative teams and the two professional outfits.

If we are to create a vibrant club system that engages with the local community and gives players a clear pathway to success, we must reintroduce an amateur four-district set-up — Edinburgh, Glasgow, Caledonia and the Borders below the two pro teams.

Let these districts and their local clubs and schools oversee the growth of rugby in their region. When a development officer comes to coach at a school or a club he’s representing the district he works in be it Caledonia or Edinburgh, not Scotland. Every player must understand their pathway to success — there are no short cuts: school/club — district — pro team — national team.

We must also stop wrapping academy players in cotton wool and making them believe they’ve made it at 18. We need competition for places in our academies. You do that by making them face each other week after week in meaningful competition, not hiding them away in a gym. We must also create regional competitions (see panel for how this would work). The top players from the respective regional competitions would then be selected for the district teams and represent their region and Scotland in the British and Irish Cup and an inter-district competition.

The benefits would be manifold: more local club derbies; less travel (with the exception of the Caledonia competition); the best players would have a pathway to rise through the ranks; club supporters could unite behind a representative district team; pro-team apprentices and academy players having a meaningful fixture list and competition; and development of the next generation of professional coaches heading up the four new district sides.

There is much more we could do at schools and junior rugby level. Our children need to be playing in meaningful league competitions from the minimum age of 13. We need to combine the schools and club competitions across the country to ensure the best independent and state school and club players are playing together every Saturday.

The independent schools, in particular, are businesses with marketing and development departments designed to generate income and legacies to fund the growth of the school. Sport, and rugby in particular, is a fantastic barometer of a school, its old boys’ association and its spirit.

From an upbringing in New Zealand — which has a history of meaningful school first XV league matches going back more than 140 years, attended by upwards of 10,000 spectators and shown live on television — I believe these fixtures can be a significant income stream: pre-game old-boys’ lunches catering for up to 500 people maintain a link between the former pupil and the school, and can contribute in the region of £10,000 per game for the school coffers.

When you consider that there are some rivalries going back centuries, imagine what two schools such as George Watson’s College (est 1741) and George Heriot’s (est 1628) could conjure up.

If some schools choose to abstain from these competitions then their students aren’t eligible for representative teams. If you create a worthwhile competitive and enjoyable sporting environment in a school then a club has a captive audience with whom to build an association with and replicate those same school sporting experiences.

I’m a Scotland fan. We must do something. Doing nothing is no longer an option.

Cameron Mather played 11 times for Scotland between 1999 and 2004.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 23, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Also this from the BBC recently: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26257162

e: The Dragons pack is awful in this Connacht game, it's been a huge problem for years now :(

Christ, replacing the whole front row after 28 minutes is pretty damning

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 23, 2014

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

The Waratahs aren't all that bad this year really.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Answers Me posted:

Christ, replacing the whole front row after 28 minutes is pretty damning

Especially when one of the sub props is 40,and has visible mantits.

Connacht have had a few awful performances this year,but they've got 4 league wins in a row now (First time they've done so since 2003) and if they're lucky,they might beat the Scarlets for 6th in the league,which would put them into next year's Heineken Cup.

Pat Lam's had a pretty horrible year so far.Firstly,he signs three SH players,James So'oialo,Jake Heenan and Craig Clarke.So'oialo has trouble with his visa,arrives near the end of September,plays two matches and then goes back to New Zealand.Heenan plays really well from day one,forcing himself into the starting team,and then gets a season-ending injury about a month ago.Clarke takes a while to start performing,then gets one concussion too many and has to take an indefinite break.

Then,one of the team's young centres has to retire from injuries,which really isn't the best time as of the two current first choice centres,one of them is going to London Irish next year,and the other is made of glass and will probably be coming back to Leinster soon.At the same time,they're having so many injuries in the back row that they have to sign an academy player from Leinster who gets injured before even getting the chance to play a match and has to get surgery.

I don't think many people had much hope in Lam,so he's defying expectations so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

Don't you support the Hurricanes? :supaburn:

• Locked thread