Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Why don't I get to deduct a portion of my rent from my taxes when someone with an interest-only loan is basically doing the same thing?

I think as a taxpayer I should get to use your bathrooms and store some crap in your garage if my tax dollars are going to get used to send you a little bonus when you file your taxes. I'd better not find any liquor either, if you have enough money to drink, you don't need a mortgage interest deduction.

As for social security, My grandparents paid into a fund to keep their grandparents out of the gutter. That was what they paid for and that's what they got.

My parents paid into a fund to keep their grandparents out of the gutter. That was what they paid for and that's what they got.

Today, I pay to keep my grandparents out of the gutter. I am so happy to make that payment, it is totally worth the price.

It's always been a welfare transfer of money from the young to the old. It's not a pension, its not your retirement account, it's welfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mo_Steel posted:

"Welfare caddys" is now my new favorite term for a car. :allears:

Accuse every luxury car owner of being on welfare.

Better still, do this at a Republican/Tea Party event.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Why don't I get to deduct a portion of my rent from my taxes when someone with an interest-only loan is basically doing the same thing?

Your landlord does that for you.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Move to Minnesota! We have a Renter's Credit. It's great!

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Crain posted:

If it gets to this point though he'll probably talk about not having a "choice" in joining society and thus the rules and obligations are thrust upon him without consent and are "slavery" or some such (The argument being that a private pure free market society lets you choose who to do business with at least, even if it is more expensive). You can either just sever then or tell him he wouldn't have the choice to exist in the first place so it's a moot point. But honestly if he argues this point he's beyond worth dealing with.

Actually what you could do is tell him: "Well fortunately for you there is a place where the society you hate so much does not exist. And you can go there and be as free as you want. Pack warmly though, I hear the antarctic is really cold this time of year."

Alternatively: "Pack body armor, Somalia is filled with other 'Great free men' much like you.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

They agreed to the social contract when they moved here or their parents signed it for them when they made them. Parents give consent for their children in lots of things, complain to them.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

The president is from Kenya!

Hang on, what is this one even trying to say? That the administration tried to convince people that Vile Rat, Stevens, Doherty, and Woods weren't actually killed?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Keshik posted:

Hang on, what is this one even trying to say? That the administration tried to convince people that Vile Rat, Stevens, Doherty, and Woods weren't actually killed?

Did anyone ever see "Vile Rat" and "Sean Smith" at the same time? :tinfoil:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keshik posted:

That anything less than admitting that everything Republicans say is true and resigning is just denying basic reality and spitting on the graves of hose men. Also birtherism, because they really do not understand how to admit fault ever.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ratbert90 posted:

Evolution is a lie!

Literally the plot of Idiocracy.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

That anything less than admitting that everything Republicans say is true and resigning is just denying basic reality and spitting on the graves of hose men. Also birtherism, because they really do not understand how to admit fault ever.

I don't know what a hose man is, but it sounds kind of disgusting.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Crain posted:

Doesn't every president talk about uniting the country?

Has anyone other than tea party tools even used that obama campaign "symbol" since 2008 anyway?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sexism and classism all in one image. If only there was some dogwhistle racism and we could have a hat trick :allears:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Branis posted:

Has anyone other than tea party tools even used that obama campaign "symbol" since 2008 anyway?

Er, yeah? It's still the logo of Organizing for Action, formerly known as Obama for America.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

KKKLIP ART posted:

Sexism and classism all in one image. If only there was some dogwhistle racism and we could have a hat trick :allears:

More boobs benefits all of America, nay, the world :colbert:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Liberals are the real racist!

This image reminds me of an old anti-abolition political cartoon I saw in one of my history books. Unfortunately I can't find it, but it depicted freed slaves and northern blacks as outcasts in society who couldn't get a meal in one frame and a benevolent southern family accepting and feeding slaves in the second panel.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Branis posted:

Google has also used a symbol to unite all their interests under one logo. As has Apple. And so does the Republcian Party. And the Democratic Party. And the Heritage Foundation. And the ACLU. And the EFF. And Focus on the Family. And anyone who has an interest in establishing a recognizable logo.

:hitler:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

So I had a doozy of a phone conversation with my dad the other day. First he tells me about the Fukishima reactor and how it's leaking radiation across the ocean and people have detected high levels of it on the west coast. I should buy nascent iodine and put a few drops under my tongue each day to counteract the radiation poisoning. Then we got on the topic of religion. Apparently aliens came to earth and mated with humans in the Old Testament days and that's the reason for the flood because God wanted to purge the world of these aliens.

Of course, the aliens were the ones who built the Pyramids. The aliens are still around though. All the richest people and most powerful politicians in the world have alien DNA and together they form the New World Order. Increased UFO sightings in recent years indicate the aliens are planning on doing a full-blown invasion soon. Also, the US dollar is based on nothing but paper and it has no value. Other countries are starting to figure this out, and within the next year the entire world economy is going to collapse. It's gonna be "the Great Depression on steroids" and basically we're all doomed.

:tinfoil:

From a few pages ago, but I can't stop thinking about this rant. "We're about to be invaded by aliens! Also, inflation!" I don't even understand how it's possible to be afraid of these things at the same time.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Looks like this is making the rounds. Every website I've seen reporting on it are absolutely losing their loving minds "LIEbral agenda!!!"

I have no idea what "disgrace to our homage" means, but ok.

Revisionist history, JUST LIKE COMMUNISM!!!

Blaze article linked in the second post.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

hamster_style posted:

Looks like this is making the rounds. Every website I've seen reporting on it are absolutely losing their loving minds "LIEbral agenda!!!"

How dare they prevent those ex-inmates from owning unregistered guns!

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

And according to the school, they are getting bombarded by angry second amendment enthusiasts who totally aren't unbalanced and are capable of controlling their emotions.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I hope that school does okay.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I understand they have a bunker

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

You're Λll hosed
Mark Zuckerberg was hired by the CIA through his cousin Edward Snowden, to create a CIA database like Myspace and Google + in over 190 countries. Jeff Rothschild VP of CIA Facebook and CIA asset, suggested to Mark Zuckerberg that Edward Snowden (which is a CIA invented alias) should pretend to leave to China then Russia, in order to act as a second secret agent whistleblower like Julian Assange (Australian Secret Serviceman recruited by the CIA), who is also an anarcho-capitalist like Jeff Rothschild and Snowden. Their jobs is to pretend the world is free, and that "heroes" can still get their information to light. This is not the reality, the reality is that governments in over 190 countries working for the City of London Corporate Interests, can now censor any story they want in the media, by making it seem unpopular, uninteresting, or because "people are all brainwashed" (not being massively censored in order to be brainwashed). The idea is to keep people in a state of lethargy, while they are constantly being suggested by nazi tyrants like Jeff Rothschild, that if they really wanted to they could find the truth.
Jeff Rothschild arranged the marriage between Mark Zuckerberg and his chinese wife Priscilla Chan, who's parents got very rich in China by helping the CIA install capitalism there after the fall of communism. Jeff Rothschild also is the one who suggested to Mark that he hire his sister to look less sexist, even though that just made him look more sexist, as well as nepotist (nepotism is illegal in the state of California except for CIA agents).
Jeff Rothschild is funding all sides of WW3 and his associates include Priscilla Chan's father, Larry Ellison, Peter Thiel, Jordan Belfort, Bush family, Bin Laden family, Sarcozy, Berlusconi, Tony Blair, Richard Branson, Putin, Obama, Li Keqiang, Wen Jiabao, Ban Ki-moon, the british royal family, the pope, and many more members of the global crime organization. They are all planning to move to Australia and NZ, while those countries play a neutral role in WW3, just like the US did at the start of WW2. They are planning to mass murder 90% of humanity if they can, by doing the same thing Jeff Rothschild's ancestors have been doing since Napoleon, which is genocide and international banking for profit.
They need to be stopped now before it is too late...
SOURCES:
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/meet-real-snowden-john-mccarthy-jullian-assange-snowden-cia-mossad-assets/
http://anarchadia.com/2013/10/14/edward-snowden-is-mark-zuckerbergs-cousin/
http://anarchadia.com/2013/08/08/why-snowden-is-bullshit/
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/fashion/who-is-priscilla-chan.html?_r=0
http://anarchadia.com/2013/08/03/jeff-rothschild-helps-the-u-s-military-censor-civilians/

A high school friend believes this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

hamster_style posted:

Really, the only problem with that picture is that it implies that the second amendment explicitly states those restrictions, which it does not.

That and comic sans.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How appropriate that figurative children flip their poo poo at a definition provided to literal children.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Walking Dad posted:

A high school friend believes this.

Yeah, that looks an awful lot like paranoid schizophrenia. Has your friend had a drug abuse problem in the past? Did this come on suddenly?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The worst part of this dumb meme is that people seem to have completely missed the original, self-deprecating nature.

It used to be like

WHAT MY MOM THINKS: *picture of Neo hacking the matrix*
WHAT I REALLY DO: *picture of guy plugging in power cord that was knocked loose*

Somehow that turned into "no one understands how great I am/how hard I work."

The last panel should definitely be "what I think I do" and the "what I actually do" panel should be a baby covered in measles.

hamster_style posted:

After hearing about it in this thread many times throughout the years it finally showed up on my feed. Though I don't remember the original incarnation having a picture of a swole Marine accompanying it.

And that soldier...was Albert Einstein.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 23, 2014

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, that looks an awful lot like paranoid schizophrenia.
This comes up so much it could probably be the thread title.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Popular Thug Drink posted:

How appropriate that figurative children flip their poo poo at a definition provided to literal children.

People shouldn't be upset that their children are being taught incorrect information?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

People shouldn't be upset that their children are being taught incorrect information?

It's OK that the actual parent got it corrected. It's loving ridiculous that certain players in the media try to make it a national story when it's the most minuscule local news story.

'Local man asks for correction on teaching material'

HOLD THE PRESSES, WE NEED TO MAKE SURE AMERICA KNOWS

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

berzerker posted:

Other than accepting "Professor so-and-so" that a perfectly legitimate thing. Sexism in academia is a real issue and women get called "Miss so-and-so" way more often than men get called "Mr. so-and-so." Related article:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/03/what_should_students_call_their_college_professors.html

I got my degree in electrical engineering and my microelectronics class had two professors since one of them was pregnant and was going to be leaving halfway through to have her baby.

Dr. Greene and... Ginger.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

pacerhimself posted:

It's OK that the actual parent got it corrected. It's loving ridiculous that certain players in the media try to make it a national story when it's the most minuscule local news story.

According to the article, it was only for that one school and produced in-house by teachers no longer working there, so I agree with you. If it had been more widely distributed then that would have warranted a wider response. Ugh, who knows what other inaccuracies are in that book.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LeJackal posted:

Yeah, wouldn't want them to think there's a possibility of not being able to own a gun ;)
It's just more proof you should never read anything written in Comic Sans.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

duz posted:

Yeah, wouldn't want them to think there's a possibility of not being able to own a gun ;)
It's just more proof you should never read anything written in Comic Sans.

Would you be as upset if they described the First Amendment as the right to an Abrahamic religion and a state-run newspaper? Or that the USA has a tricameral legislature? Or that George Washington was appointed president for life? The problem is that they were misrepresenting basic historical and factual civics.

This complaint seems familiar. I should be careful with it, its probably an antique.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A good lesson plan should just have the actual text of the amendment and then a discussion of what it means in contemporary thought.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
^^^ I was late to school. :eng99:

LeJackal posted:

Would you be as upset if they described the First Amendment as the right to an Abrahamic religion and a state-run newspaper? Or that the USA has a tricameral legislature? Or that George Washington was appointed president for life? The problem is that they were misrepresenting basic historical and factual civics.

A more apt comparison is if the section on the first amendment included in the description of Right to Freedom of Speech a bit that said "except for some cases like inciting riots or yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater", but I digress. The material should state the amendments as written, and then have a section on how the Supreme Court is often asked to rule on nuances to those laws and bills that may cover ground similar to those amendments (firearms for convicted felons, flag burning in protest, religious articles in government buildings, defining search and seizure in the digital age, etc.) Then you give students the knowledge that the amendments are written one way, but they are constantly being interpreted and reinterpreted by the changing circumstances of American Society which they are a part of.

The only part that I really take issue with is the facebook response of "this is why we need to be homeschooling" because the implication of the presented example is that public education is biased or flawed and homeschooling isn't.

quote:

This complaint seems familiar. I should be careful with it, its probably an antique.

It's one of my favorite repeating processes. Since the dawn of human history, the current generation was respectful and the new generation is not respectful. One would think by now we'd have all become so disrespectful after thousands of generations to just be throwing poo poo at each other constantly like monkeys.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

LeJackal posted:

How am I supposed to read this as anything other than, "My parents are easily provoked to murder?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Solution: don't speak to your parents.

Problem solved.