Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ElrondHubbard posted:

It's a real shame you couldn't toss her off a cliff, take the scroll for yourself, and publish it out of spite.

Taking completely immoral counter-productive activities out of spite is pretty much my favourite thing to do in RPGs. Either the game acknoledges it and it's awesome, or everything carries on exactly as normal and it's unintentionally hilarious.

But I do think that if you somehow think that Legacy wasn't the best part of DA2 by a country mile, you're crazy. The Qunari section is the only other answer that's anywhere near acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Nichael posted:

I'm kind of skeptical she'll show up again. The reception to her didn't seem that positive, though the DLC itself, like the other DA2 DLC, was actually a substantial improvement over DA2's base game.

Yeah, she was not well received at all- people thought she was waaay too Mary Sue-like. The only thing I like about MOTA is the differing paths you can take- stealth or fighting- that was cool.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The last fight in MotA owned. Never thought I'd say that about anything DA2 related but there it is.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ElrondHubbard posted:

However, I did end up feeling absolute loathing towards Talis and wanted to murder her more than anyone else in the entire game (including Anders) by the end, so I guess it was pretty good at getting emotion out of me. It's a real shame you couldn't toss her off a cliff, take the scroll for yourself, and publish it out of spite.

Oh she was terrible, wasn't she? She was that grating sort of cute-because-we-say-so with the requisite and predictable dark secret bullshit. They even give you a dialogue choice at the end, if I remember correctly, where you tell her you should kill her for the bullshit she puts you through, and she just gives you a gem or something and leaves.

Comparatively good DLC, though. I think Legacy was better overall, but MotA had some fun battles.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I still need to catch up on the novels (partially so I can catch any references in Inquisition) but it looks like we're getting another one in August. What's the hook, you ask? Griffins!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I haven't played MotA yet, but I had to turn down the difficulty in Legacy just because the enemies felt far too spongy. Every fight was a slog but not diffcult. Very Elder Scrolls.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

DrakePegasus posted:

I still need to catch up on the novels (partially so I can catch any references in Inquisition) but it looks like we're getting another one in August. What's the hook, you ask? Griffins!

Mask of the Empire comes out next month as well.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

So I've become pretty meh on the whole Dragon Age franchise, but I do have an irrational love of griffins.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Man talking with Wynne was the best in DAO :allears:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrakePegasus posted:

Personally I've always wanted a return of the dedicated dragon slayers from...Weisshaupt? Like, the reason they call this the Dragon Age is because dragons are back; they're back because those motherfuckers made them extinct! I always felt the dragon fights were the best part of DA:O and DA2, even though I felt the last one in DA2 was kind of bullshit with how often it stayed outside the arena, and the dragon fights in DA:I look incredible. So I want a game where hunting dragons is the point.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 21, 2014

Ironed Idol
Nov 16, 2013

by XyloJW

double nine posted:

There was a movie? Why

They made a dantes inferno anime. I'm not kidding.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lotish posted:

So I want a game where hunting dragons is the point.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Lotish posted:

Personally I've always wanted a return of the dedicated dragon slayers from...Weisshaupt? Like, the reason they call this the Dragon Age is because dragons are back; they're back because those motherfuckers made them extinct! I always felt the dragon fights were the best part of DA:O and DA2, even though I felt the last one in DA2 was kind of bullshit with how often it stayed outside the arena, and the dragon fights in DA:I look incredible. So I want a game where hunting dragons is the point.

Nevarra. I hate myself for knowing that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

^^^ Thanks. According to the wiki, the Pentaghast clan hunted dragons to extinction, so Cassandra's got some heritage to her.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 21, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ironed Idol posted:

They made a dantes inferno anime. I'm not kidding.

Reminding me of that made me think, "Wow. I guess the Dragon Age anime wasn't that bad."

It wasn't very good though.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

StashAugustine posted:

Man talking with Wynne was the best in DAO :allears:

I liked doing what with my human mage especially. Given what we know about the Circle and Wynne, the substitute-parental/child relationship the two had just made sense.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I liked doing what with my human mage especially. Given what we know about the Circle and Wynne, the substitute-parental/child relationship the two had just made sense.
Really, my Mage character just went out of my way to piss her off as much as possible. Yeah, enjoy your cage, you old senile biddy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sylphosaurus posted:

Really, my Mage character just went out of my way to piss her off as much as possible. Yeah, enjoy your cage, you old senile biddy.

That works just as well for the exact same reasons: a complete rejection of that expected relationship and the Circle.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 22, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

From NeoGAF & BioWare Forums

quote:

The german Fansite Dragonage-game.de has made summary about the GameStar Preview.

Here is a quick translation.

Two new companions:

-The bald elf mage called Solas who is an apostate and a Fade expert.
-The Qunari Iron Bull. David Gaider describes him with this words: He fears nothing, only the past.

-GameStar saw also an archer (likely Sera).
-The Inquisitor can make his/her own rifts in the fade and summon demons.
-No fade puzzles (transformations) like Origins.
-Two voice actors for each gender.
-Skyhold or Homebase system. You will also be able to customize certain rooms and buy upgrades, like a garden to grow plants for alchemy. The journalist also suspects that there will be a "map room", where you can allocate troops to open new trade routes or occupy outposts.
-Dynamic wildlife. If you kill all the wolves in a forest they are gone for a while. In the same forest another player can met deers.
-New enemy: Giants, they're like Darkspawn ogres and throw rocks.
-A dragon is especially vulnerable on the head.
-The Protagonist can actively jump but not climb.
-Morrigan will make an appearance but won't be a party member. The same goes for Hawke and the Warden.

The pros:

-Large and beautiful areas.
-Elaborated tactical camera.
-Challenging fights.
-Savegame import (Dragon Age: Keep)

I wonder what the Warden is going to look like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Policenaut posted:

From NeoGAF & BioWare Forums

A jump button? Pre-ordering now.

SuperSpy
Apr 7, 2011

Jobs done, questions none.

Policenaut posted:

I wonder what the Warden is going to look like.

I assume the Dragon Age: Keep thing where you tell the game what you did in Origins/2 will have some way of asking you what the Warden and Hawke looked like.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SuperSpy posted:

I assume the Dragon Age: Keep thing where you tell the game what you did in Origins/2 will have some way of asking you what the Warden and Hawke looked like.

The warden is totally going to wear a helm that covers his face.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

A jump button? Pre-ordering now.

Yeah, having a jump/roll button is one of the major things that makes running back and forth through large open worlds waaaay more bearable. It sounds like they're pulling popular ideas from the past, strongholds, hunting animals, overworld resource allocation, and trying to make them work.

I'll still not buy the game on release, and after the initial "games journalism" torrent of 10/10 best game ever made bs I'll wait to see what the goon reaction is. Despite all the hate Bioware gets most people still seem to have played the games to completion and at least enjoyed it in some aspect (sarcastic rear end in a top hat Hawke being the preferred route)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SuperSpy posted:

I'm sure this will be the case, but if it's not, my bet is that the warden will be the Cousland.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Two new companions:

-The bald elf mage called Solas who is an apostate and a Fade expert.
-The Qunari Iron Bull. David Gaider describes him with this words: He fears nothing, only the past.

:wtc:

That was physically painful to read.

Policenaut posted:

-The Inquisitor can make his/her own rifts in the fade and summon demons.

This seems wrong in so many ways, but I guess I know what my first character is going to be. I should probably pump charisma to make sure no one suspects the demon summoning inquisitor of not being on the level.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

This seems wrong in so many ways, but I guess I know what my first character is going to be. I should probably pump charisma to make sure no one suspects the demon summoning inquisitor of not being on the level.

Haha, no, they're won't be any story effects from using horrific blood/demon magic. You'll probably have a chantry npc party member badgering people on the dangers of the Fade while unquestioningly fighting side by side with your summoned rage demons.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SuperSpy posted:

Hawke will be the default appearance for each gender, the Warden is most likely going to have one appearance for each race and gender. Dwarf/human/elf, male/female, Dalish tattoos if the Warden is a Dalish Elf. Simple.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ElrondHubbard posted:

quote:

I have my GameStar copy right in front of me, and this is a mistranslation. The original German is this: "Den schreckt wirklich gar nichts - außer seine eigene Vergangenheit." Which translates to: "He fears absolutely nothing - except his own past."

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

FauxGateau posted:

The warden is totally going to wear a helm that covers his face.

Excuse you, *her* face. :colbert:

edit:

Some other points from the article- small things-

-Laidlaw says most areas are roughly three times the size of the korcari wilds from DA: O

-animal wildlife works differently: they interact with each other (wolves hunt deer, a dragon once picked a fight with a giant) and need time to repopulate, so if you kill all the wolves in an area, you’re gonna have to be very patient

-dragons actively protect their nests

-the environment is supposed to have a big influence on battle, like we’ve seen the inquisitor slightly stumble when the ground turns muddy after rain

Leelee fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Having two voice actors for each gender is good because it will probably mean that one voice is deeper or more gruff and won't sound weird coming from a Qunari.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I have my GameStar copy right in front of me, and this is a mistranslation. The original German is this: "Den schreckt wirklich gar nichts - außer seine eigene Vergangenheit." Which translates to: "He fears absolutely nothing - except his own past."

While I suppose that's better than him being afraid of his future, curling up into a ball, and crying the entire game, it still sounds like any number of generic action characters, including Fenris from last game.

Thanks for the quick update though.

Edit: spelling

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 23, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrakePegasus posted:

A little late, but what are the chances that we'll get an Allistar appearance just so he can say something along the lines of 'Ahaha! Swooping is amazing!' or 'I love swooping!' or any variation on that horrible line??

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KittyEmpress posted:

A little late, but what are the chances that we'll get an Allistar appearance just so he can say something along the lines of 'Ahaha! Swooping is amazing!' or 'I love swooping!' or any variation on that horrible line??

Steve Valentine said he hasn't been invited to do any lines for DAI, so low at this point.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Leelee posted:

Steve Valentine said he hasn't been invited to do any lines for DAI, so low at this point.

Except that it's a novel, not DAI. A novel with the main point being griffins.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KittyEmpress posted:

Except that it's a novel, not DAI. A novel with the main point being griffins.

Sorry- I read that wrong. The chances are also low, since the novel takes place in the past.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Wait, why wouldn't the Keep just pull the players' Hawkes and Wardens and include them in the game instead of a default? All they'd need is the facemorph, right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The Keep doesn't look at your old saves. It generates its own. The Keep was made because they don't people to be "forced" to play the previous games and because the actual save importing is flawed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I know it's something that's done a lot with mods and all, but for a dev to put out a full save editor is cool IMO and an elegant solution. Is there an ETA on this thing's full release?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Schubalts posted:

The Keep doesn't look at your old saves. It generates its own. The Keep was made because they don't people to be "forced" to play the previous games and because the actual save importing is flawed.

Ohh it doesn't look at all? I thought it pulled stuff that you could then tweak. I don't remember which dwarf noble I sided with back in like 2010. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ohh it doesn't look at all? I thought it pulled stuff that you could then tweak. I don't remember which dwarf noble I sided with back in like 2010. :(

Pulling saves forward would screw players on next-gen systems, since there'd be no way to, say, get a save from a PS3 version of DA:O to be read on a PS4 version of DA:I. So no, they're not bothering with any sort of save import, it's all done through the Keep so as to not screw over people upgrading, since that would undeniably have a big impact on next-gen sales.

• Locked thread