Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pope Guilty posted:

So is Ecclesia supposed to be really hard? I was doing fine up until the prison island, and the giant skeleton at the start of that just repeatedly wrecks me.

Elevator-crab at the lighthouse (which I think is right after the prison island) and that horse-machine-crossbow thing late in the game absolutely wrecked my poo poo in Ecclesia. It has some pretty rough boss battles at times. But if you could get the patterns down, that really eased things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Guilty posted:

So is Ecclesia supposed to be really hard? I was doing fine up until the prison island, and the giant skeleton at the start of that just repeatedly wrecks me.

Yeah. It's hard.

The bosses have specific patterns, though. So if you watch for those you can theoretically dodge everything. Think of Shanoa as more of a dodge/agile character than the usual rough-and-tumble Belmont.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah. It's hard.

The bosses have specific patterns, though. So if you watch for those you can theoretically dodge everything. Think of Shanoa as more of a dodge/agile character than the usual rough-and-tumble Belmont.

This is basically the thing. Don't just run in mashing the attack button. Dodge, look for an opening, attack, dodge, repeat. There are even some mook enemies who will require this approach upon first encountering them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pope Guilty posted:

Remember that you pretty much can't tank anything in OoE, unlike the other metroidvanias. Luckily almost every attack has a tell you can find if you hang back for a bit.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah. It's hard.

Yeah, this is something really important to remember. Even with high defence and buffs and such, Shanoa both hits like a truck and bleeds buckets.

However you don't have a backdash that's any good. What's a vampire slayer to do?

First things first, keep in mind that doing damage is ALWAYS less important then avoiding it. You may do a ton of damage but in a straight race you're barely a match for most basic enemies, let alone a boss. Attack when you can, but learn the pattern of the boss and avoid them.

Second, Magnes nodes in boss arenas are usually quite useful but not something you can hang around on. For the Giant Skeleton, keep in mind it has a charge if you try to get behind it.

Also, the vast majority of bosses are much bigger then Shanoa and take big steps to match it. The Giant Skeleton can step over you if you're standing in just the right spot, but it also has a nice big blind spot to step over you when you crouch.

Next is that there's three things that affect damage. One is your Strength or Int. Two is your damage type vs the enemy's weakness, and lastly is your weapon rank. The last one is annoying but using the same weapon helps power it up. I wouldn't worry about it terribly much, though. The type of weapon is usually much more important then your rank. At this point, you'll have Macir, the hammer glyph. It's effective vs the skeleton, so make sure to use that instead of Confodore, Ascia or the like.

Another thing is Shanoa has a bit of a backswing on ground attacks. If you can help it, hopping a bit before attacking helps you keep up mobility.

Good luck! The next boss is the only one I've never gotten a perfection medal for.

Dresh posted:

This is basically the thing. Don't just run in mashing the attack button. Dodge, look for an opening, attack, dodge, repeat. There are even some mook enemies who will require this approach upon first encountering them.

I can think of about 3-5 in the very same Prison Island that that's the case for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Equip the same weapon glyph to both arms and you can alternate between them almost as rapidly as you can press the buttons, which is essential for having adequate damage output against bosses.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Speaking of tanks, I liked how they had 8-bit Simon appear as a playable cameo on the DS and he played like on the NES. Slow sprite plod, awkward nes jumping, but hit like a tank.

It fit the image of Simon as a burly barbarian in the official art. Made the Belmonts actually seem like different people.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
One thing that's just killer is that if you change direction in midjump, Shanoa changes facing when she hits the ground. I'm used to being able to jump in, then start to fall back, attacking as I do, then hit L to backdash away when I hit the ground. This must be unlearned for Ecclesia, since Shanoa changes facing, meaning that backdashing upon hitting the ground sends her right into the boss!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

It was fun to see the NES characters rendered in 3d.

You mean seeing Death Note characters dressed up as Castlevania ones.

Even on the NES it was pretty clear that Grant was a pirate and not a mummy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dresh posted:

At least until you get Ignis/Vol Ignis, then it just becomes a game of Gradius :v:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

One thing that's just killer is that if you change direction in midjump, Shanoa changes facing when she hits the ground. I'm used to being able to jump in, then start to fall back, attacking as I do, then hit L to backdash away when I hit the ground. This must be unlearned for Ecclesia, since Shanoa changes facing, meaning that backdashing upon hitting the ground sends her right into the boss!

If you attack before trying to switch directions she will continue facing the way that you're attacking as long as you're still in the attack animation when you're holding back. Another tip is that if you land facing one way and want to backdash the other, hold down before trying to change directions to stay in the same place. Order of Ecclesia's bosses are all about positioning, and you never want to be forced to move too close to the bosses that damage you when touched. With regards to this, you have a main glyph (Y button) and sub glyph (X button). The main glyph has a slightly longer range than the sub glyph, and you can use that to stay further away from enemies if needed.

The skeleton boss has a very simple trick. His kick attack leaves him extremely vulnerable to the hammer. He seriously just sticks his leg out for several seconds and you can get several hits in. The kick will never hit you if you're ducking on the left corner of the boss arena, so when he gets too close you know that he is going to try and use his jump attack on you. Before he's able to do that, use magnes to jump over him and once he backs up a bit jump back over and hit him whenever he kicks again. Repeat until dead.

Anatharon posted:

However you don't have a backdash that's any good. What's a vampire slayer to do?

Shanoa's backdash is actually incredible and you can cancel everything on the ground with it except for sliding. Here's an example of the kind of things you can do with it from the LP of level 1 hard mode that I did.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Evil Eagle posted:

If you attack before trying to switch directions she will continue facing the way that you're attacking as long as you're still in the attack animation when you're holding back. Another tip is that if you land facing one way and want to backdash the other, hold down before trying to change directions to stay in the same place. Order of Ecclesia's bosses are all about positioning, and you never want to be forced to move too close to the bosses that damage you when touched. With regards to this, you have a main glyph (Y button) and sub glyph (X button). The main glyph has a slightly longer range than the sub glyph, and you can use that to stay further away from enemies if needed.

That's really helpful, thanks!

quote:

The skeleton boss has a very simple trick. His kick attack leaves him extremely vulnerable to the hammer. He seriously just sticks his leg out for several seconds and you can get several hits in. The kick will never hit you if you're ducking on the left corner of the boss arena, so when he gets too close you know that he is going to try and use his jump attack on you. Before he's able to do that, use magnes to jump over him and once he backs up a bit jump back over and hit him whenever he kicks again. Repeat until dead.

Okay, so once the skeleton is flipped over, clawing at Shanoa, I should be focusing on getting back to his left to tempt the kick?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Shanoa's backdash is actually incredible and you can cancel everything on the ground with it except for sliding. Here's an example of the kind of things you can do with it from the LP of level 1 hard mode that I did.

I was making the unfair comparison to Albus' backdash which is probably the best one in the entire series. :v

It's also kinda slow.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 18, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, so once the skeleton is flipped over, clawing at Shanoa, I should be focusing on getting back to his left to tempt the kick?

Yep, that's the best way to go about it.

Anatharon posted:

I was making the unfair comparison to Albus' backdash which is probably the best one in the entire series. :v

It's also kinda slow.

Well it's hard to beat backdashing through enemies and projectiles. I will say that canceling Shanoa's backdash is the fastest way to move through the game before grabbing Rapidus Fio or Redire+Magnes.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 18, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Yep, that's the best way to go about it.

Well it's hard to beat backdashing through enemies and projectiles. I will say that canceling Shanoa's backdash is the fastest way to move through the game before grabbing Rapidus Fio or Redire+Magnes.

Hm, maybe I have been undestimating it then. I tend to not spend much time on the ground so I never really used it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I was posting this stuff in the Lords of Shadow thread but it's probably better posted here: IGA interviews! I've added some excerpts, but go ahead and read 'em all if you're bored.

http://kotaku.com/the-challenge-of-leaving-castlevania-and-konami-behin-1544855373

quote:

I asked Iga why he wasn't in charge of Lords of Shadow. "We made two 3D Castlevania games," he said. "And to be honest, they didn't turn out so well. Mercury Steam is very skilled at creating beautiful 3D images, so they were brought in to develop the game."

In 2010, Konami didn't quite yet have its own game engine that could handle Castlevania. Remember, this was years before the Fox Engine.

"Couldn't you still have been in charge?" I asked.

"It would've been difficult, with them in Europe and me in Japan," he said. "And since the quality for our 3D Castlevania games wasn't that high, it wasn't really our place to tell them how to do one. They had that expertise."

It's an uncomfortable line of questioning, I know. Iga didn't just make Castlevania games, he was their biggest cheerleader and biggest fan. He lived, breathed, and ate Castlevania. Iga embraced a game series like few creators do. To pass that on must have been difficult.

There's a jazz song playing that I should know, but don't. I check the voice recorder and asked him what he thought of the new Castlevania games. "Looking from the outside, I think they did a good job," Iga said. "But for many fans, they automatically think 2D when they hear Castlevania. So there's that to overcome."

"When we did our 3D versions, many fans said they preferred 2D. So because of that, it might be difficult to make 3D Castlevania games."

"Were you depressed when you were no longer in charge of Castlevania?" I asked.

"Yes, of course, I was depressed," he replied, grinning. "But, I am a huge Castlevania fan. I want there to be Castlevania games for the next one hundred years. I want them to continue making those games."

"Were you bitter?" I asked.

"Certainly not. I didn't create the franchise. It was something I worked on."

"But you made it your own."

"Well, this is the next phase of Castlevania," said Iga. "I have a lot to be grateful for because of Castlevania."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/19/5523676/koji-igarashi-interview-castlevania-konami-and-going-independent

quote:

"The more hardcore the game... the less suitable it is for the casual market," Igarashi told Polygon in an interview at this week's Game Developers Conference. "Unfortunately, I'm good at making core experiences, so it was two years of making a game that leaned too 'hardcore' for the social market. So it was canceled. Then I'd try again and be canceled. And again and be canceled.

"That happened several times, more because my natural style is more akin to a hardcore game."

"My style of creation, the sort of game experiences I'm really good at don't fit that trend," he said. "There was a little frustration on my part trying to make that leap. I think a lot of creators are unable to make that leap. I couldn't. I was frustrated with myself, but it's kind of disappointing that during this time, the fans were constantly saying 'We want more core 2D Metroidvania experiences' and I was, of course, in trying this new foray, unable to appease them to make them happy as well. I couldn't make the transition but I also couldn't continue to make the games I wanted to make. So there was some disappointment.

"Whether it was actually wasted time or not is something I think about," he said. "But [making games is a] business and therefore you need to follow what the market dictates. Since the market dictated that social games were profitable and making money then that's something as a creator that you can't totally ignore."

quote:

"A lot of people said, 'That's a shame. We're going to miss you,'" Iga recalled. "Others said 'It's a shame and we'll miss you, but this really is probably the right time,' because they know what Konami is about. One of the things, that made me happy is [that] a lot of people said, 'Hey, I want you to hire me, take me with you.' So that felt good."

quote:

When asked to expand on his future game plans, Igarashi said, "If you just look at my strengths, most likely it will be an action game. Of course, fans would like a 2D exploration sort of game, a Metroidvania-type game. That's definitely something i'm interested in to make them happy.

"But, probably much to fans' chagrin, I'm frustrated that I have been unable to make a really good 3D game as well. That's something I want to eventually truly conquer, because it has continually defeated me."

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-resurrection-of-koji-igarashi

quote:

USG: Why do so many creators have to go independent to make the games they want to create? Why do publishers seem so willing to ignore the evidently large number of fans who are begging for these classic style games and franchises?

IGA: You can call it capitalism. You can call it standard business practices. But in the end, businesses exist to make money. That's their main goal, and so, looking at games and development as far as "how can we make the most money possible?," it is a pretty standard notion in all businesses of all types. So while it may seem very logical to think, "Hey, giving the fans what they want equals getting money," they don't really think in that fashion as a company. They think, "How can we make the most money possible," and then that leads to a different sort of game being made, not necessarily what the fans want.

USG: You explored a lot of avenues for low development costs with games like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth and Harmony of Despair. Why do you think those ventures fell to the wayside?

IGA: Honestly, because resources are limited. Your staff, the people who create, are limited. Why spend those resource on something that makes some or little money versus the social market which, in Japan, Konami had already has several successes with and shown that could make huge amounts of money? So that's where you're naturally going to assign your people to try and go for that big money rather than go for middling amounts of money.

USG: So the classic style of Castlevania died off because of social gaming, not because Konami wanted to focus on Lords of Shadow?

IGA: Honestly I mean, those sorts of decisions were made in upper management, above my head.

USG: Of course.

IGA: So I can't really comment on exactly what the rationale was for why the company decided not to move forward in making classic Castlevania games. But, you know, without a doubt, it's impossible to suggest that social didn't make the company money. It made them lots and lots of money. Naturally, putting resources on that side of the fence while maybe trying a different approach with the Castlevania series – that was probably their thinking.

USG: Lots of console-centric publishers explored low-cost downloadable games last generation – not just the downloadable Castlevania games, but things like Hard Core: Uprising, Capcom's franchise revivals. But they didn't seem to have the same traction that many indies have experienced recently working on similar titles – Rogue Legacy, a Castlevania-inspired action game, has sold something like 100,000 copies. What do you think you need to do in order to see the kind of success so many indies enjoy?

IGA: Honestly, numbers like 100,000... when you're looking at them from the perspective of a publisher, a big publisher – they're just like, "Eh, it's a drop in the bucket. Why would we chase after small numbers like that?" So, in order for a publisher that owns IP that the fans really love to pursue that style of game or those more classic sort of games that the core fans seem to like, that market needs to explode again like it did. And unless it does, then, really, the only people that I think are going to be able to focus on those sort of game experience are going to be independent developers. Because they don't care, they're not always trying to go for the biggest money. They're trying to go for what makes the fans happy and they're also trying to go for something that, you know, makes a little money, that's fine with them.

quote:

USG: There's a trend these days of classic game developers going independent and getting the band back together, so to speak. Do you plan to work with people like Ayami Kojima and Michiru Yamane, who are so closely linked with your Castlevania games?

IGA: Obviously I worked with a lot of talented people on a wide variety of Castlevania games. So, yeah, probably the core people that fans will associate with bringing the band back together for a Castlevania game will include names like Yamane and Kojima. There are lots of other really talented people that maybe aren't as high profile but are absolutely necessary to create that kind of experience. And I know lots of different artists, of course, as well, that have helped make the franchise what it is. So, knowing those people and potentially being able to work with them is defintiely something that I'm looking into. Because I want to work with talented people that really make the games the gamers like. With Kojima, I don't talk with her as much as I used to, but with Yamane, I go out drinking with her a lot, so... [laughs]

USG: I interviewed her a couple of years ago and she seemed like she'd be pretty interested in working on another Castlevania-style game.

IGA: Oh, really? Whenever I go drinking with her, she always talks about all the times I screwed up before on the games that we worked together, so it's nice to hear that she's interested in that sort of game, working with me again. [laughs] 'Cause the only image I have is all the times I screwed up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IGA sounds like a cool dude, I hope he gets to make games again. :smith:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sakurazuka posted:

IGA sounds like a cool dude, I hope he gets to make games again. :smith:

I can't wait for his Mighty No. 9-esque Castlevania equivalent. It will be so great :allears:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

IGA posted:

"And since the quality for our 3D Castlevania games wasn't that high, it wasn't really our place to tell them how to do one. They had that expertise."

Uhh, Curse of Darkness is legit one of the best Castlevania games. What the hell Iga :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Uhh, Curse of Darkness is legit one of the best Castlevania games. What the hell Iga :(

I feel like you played completely different 3D castlevanias from me because those games were real bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Barudak posted:

I feel like you played completely different 3D castlevanias from me because those games were real bad.

Lament of Innocence was pretty bad but Curse of Darkness was a big step up.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'd still rather play LoI and CoD than Lords of Shadow, for whatever that's worth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IGA designed game with MercurySteam visuals would have been the perfect mix. Don't let them near the music though, LoS was some boring generic poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
While I didn't like the music in the original LoS, I enjoyed the music in Mirror of Fate and LoS2.

LoS I felt was the most enjoyable 3d Castlevania, but I put LoI behind CV64 and LoD

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

I'd still rather play LoI and CoD than Lords of Shadow, for whatever that's worth.

I wouldn't. I think Lords of Shadow is a good game, but I couldn't stand either of the PS2 Castlevanias. Great soundtracks, though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Barudak posted:

Curse is almost literally SoTN in 3D. Plus it has Trevor Belmont, with a much better redesign than Simon got for Chronicles.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Curse of Darkness had cool designs and the ability to gently caress up Dracula with a sword bigger than you are in 3D. Also a pet system that was surprisingly unobtrusive for what it was.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

To be honest it was sort of nice to have a human+pet game where the pets were actually stronger than you.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

Curse is almost literally SoTN in 3D. Plus it has Trevor Belmont, with a much better redesign than Simon got for Chronicles.

You're making me want to track this down and fire up the PS2 again man.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's not really that good.

I mean, stealing was awesome, it's true. Some pets and weapons were cool.

It just felt like there was less cool stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Curse of Darkness was somehow lacking in content and also bloated to poo poo.

Large, barren areas that you had to go through to get to other parts of the castle because teleporters were sparse, grinding with weapon types to get specific IDs, getting specific IDs to get to certain (albeit optional) areas, just a bunch of boring padding.

It didn't help that half the weapon types were slow enough so as to be useless or at least not as good as just using the fast ones.

Music was fantastic though.

What the gently caress was with the chairs, though? At least Juste was building up a sweet bachelor's pad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Juste's bachelor pad was awesome. The first time I played that game I was like "Uh what's up with this weird object, is it part of a puzzle or something?" and it was a statue or something. :v:

Really though for the most part the games built at least a little on the previous entries. Especially OoE. :allears:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Phantasium posted:

Curse of Darkness was somehow lacking in content and also bloated to poo poo.

Large, barren areas that you had to go through to get to other parts of the castle because teleporters were sparse, grinding with weapon types to get specific IDs, getting specific IDs to get to certain (albeit optional) areas, just a bunch of boring padding.

It didn't help that half the weapon types were slow enough so as to be useless or at least not as good as just using the fast ones.

Music was fantastic though.

What the gently caress was with the chairs, though? At least Juste was building up a sweet bachelor's pad.

Yeah, Curse of Darkness was ambitious, but it had a ton of poo poo that just wasn't interesting to bother with. I think the pet system was far deeper than what I used it for, but it was just easier to go down the regular evolve path.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Get the Xbox version instead, it runs at 60fps and has almost no load times.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I coulda sworn that game was on PS3 as a PS2 classic.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I coulda sworn that game was on PS3 as a PS2 classic.

Nah, only LoI.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

IGA posted:

"The more hardcore the game... the less suitable it is for the casual market," Igarashi told Polygon in an interview at this week's Game Developers Conference. "Unfortunately, I'm good at making core experiences, so it was two years of making a game that leaned too 'hardcore' for the social market. So it was canceled. Then I'd try again and be canceled. And again and be canceled.

"That happened several times, more because my natural style is more akin to a hardcore game."

Man that is sad. There were actual 2D Castlevania games being developed and canceled because they were too "hardcore". Order of Ecclesia's my favorite game of all time so I hate to hear that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That reminds me of how God Hand (of all things) got a 3/10 from IGN for being too hard.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It also called out how janky it was graphically, which was true. But not 3/10 true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Man that is sad. There were actual 2D Castlevania games being developed and canceled because they were too "hardcore". Order of Ecclesia's my favorite game of all time so I hate to hear that.

Based on his wording, it sounds like he was making games for the social market, not Castlevania games.