Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Bown posted:

This season of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle has been nothing short of incredible so far. The UKIP episode last week has to be one of his best sets ever.

The latest episode made me physically laugh a lot more than usual, which I felt was a pretty shocking and unforgivable betrayal of the format. Not tuning in next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Satire episode is definitely the funniest so far

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I don't like Stewart Lee much

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

I don't like Stewart Lee much
"Was it funny?"
"No, but I agreed the gently caress out of it."

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
'Get back in the sea you finned oval office' still gets me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bown posted:

This season of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle has been nothing short of incredible so far. The UKIP episode last week has to be one of his best sets ever.

Wasn't mad on the UKIP one, tbh. It wasn't bad, but the material was pretty much shooting fish in a barrel for his audience.

The satire one was brilliant, though.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
The sketch at the end of the UKIP episode was just tremendous.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Crankit posted:

Even worse it didn't keep my favourites, so now I'll probably miss some radio show that I like. I also don't like the way it seems to order my favourites completely randomly.

What they've done to iPlayer Radio (including deleting everyone's favourites) is a complete joke. I think it's prompting people to give feedback though and I did and it was loving BRUTAL. That'll learn 'em.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mickolution posted:

Wasn't mad on the UKIP one, tbh. It wasn't bad, but the material was pretty much shooting fish in a barrel for his audience.

The satire one was brilliant, though.

"tories are bad and labour have become the same" wasn't exactly pushing the boundaries this week.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

"tories are bad and labour have become the same" wasn't exactly pushing the boundaries this week.

That's true, I guess. I just felt that the previous episode was quite safe. Maybe this one was too, but was just funnier.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

3 was funnier than 2.
i think there was a bit more variety in 3 - like the stuff with the animal park / really wild show / etc - than just the political part. but in 2 he stayed closer to the ukip thread throughout.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
He did a 28 years old I was joke :allears:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cerv posted:

3 was funnier than 2.
i think there was a bit more variety in 3 - like the stuff with the animal park / really wild show / etc - than just the political part. but in 2 he stayed closer to the ukip thread throughout.

Yeah. I wasn't really thinking about the Labour/Tory bit when I posted earlier, tbh. The bit that stuck in my head was the animal satire section.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hahahahaha Noel Edmonds and a mysterious consortium are planning on buying the Beeb.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Hahahahaha Noel Edmonds and a mysterious consortium are planning on buying the Beeb.

THE CONSORTIUM.... WAS MEEE!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
BBC 3 went a bit darker than usual tonight. Life and Death Row followed the cases of two of the two youngest men on death row in Texas, interviewing them, and their victims/victims' families, in the days leading up to the executions. It's not brilliant but it's not your usual BBC 3 fare, either.

There was a thing about prostitutes as well but I didn't watch that.

Has anyone seen the new Linehan garbage on BBC 4, The Walshes? It's on iPlayer and I don't recommend it, at all.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Al2001 posted:

What they've done to iPlayer Radio (including deleting everyone's favourites) is a complete joke. I think it's prompting people to give feedback though and I did and it was loving BRUTAL. That'll learn 'em.

The iplayer twitter feed at the moment is pretty much all damage control responses to endless torrents of abuse about the new layout.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The volume still goes up to 11 though, so it's ok by me.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Anyone else watch the Widower? Im growing to love Reece Shearsmith

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I didn't know that was on, I guess that's what the shamelessly-named ITVplayer is for.
e: I guess the iPlayer itself is shamelessly named.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 18, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Hooray, you can search by channel again on iPlayer

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
I was in one of the Random Acts on Channel 4 last week and I forgot to mention it at the time because I was quite literally staying overnight in a castle.

It's on 4OD and is called Gregory is a Dancer

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Padje posted:

I was in one of the Random Acts on Channel 4 last week and I forgot to mention it at the time because I was quite literally staying overnight in a castle.

It's on 4OD and is called Gregory is a Dancer

What an interesting life you lead. "I missed myself on television, I was in a castle."

Gaz-L posted:

THE CONSORTIUM.... WAS MEEE!

Settle down, Ric, you're basically bankrupt.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

VogeGandire posted:

What an interesting life you lead. "I missed myself on television, I was in a castle."

Aha, I watched myself on TV, but could not let the good people wading beneath the Piers Morgan Memorial Pier, clinging to the support legs for dear life, know I was on it, due to the castle business.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Padje posted:

Aha, I watched myself on TV, but could not let the good people wading beneath the Piers Morgan Memorial Pier, clinging to the support legs for dear life, know I was on it, due to the castle business.

Since when do castles have TV reception?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Film section of the Iplayer is filling up again. My Week With Marlyn, The Shooting Party, The Last Station, and Page Eight, a Bill Nighey film that shows you what John leCarré would be like if he was irredeemably bad at his job.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Why've they taken the ability to rewind live TV away from iplayer? That was one of the only things I ever used it for, dagnammit. I mean you could rewind up to two hours before, now it won't even put the news on from the start.

edit: well it seems none of it is working maybe it's just me

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 19, 2014

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Film section of the Iplayer is filling up again. My Week With Marlyn, The Shooting Party, The Last Station, and Page Eight, a Bill Nighey film that shows you what John leCarré would be like if he was irredeemably bad at his job.

Why did Page Eight get such good write ups in the broadsheets? What is going on here? It was just strange and dull.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Previously I have been a big fan of Stewart Lee though this series has felt a little flat to me for some reason. Perhaps my tastes have changed, though I'm not digging it as much, seems a little too aware of what buttons to push regarding his audience (though I suppose every comedian does this I guess). I just watched the UKIP one and stopped once he started singing about nothing. Maybe I am getting bored of what once drew me to him, what once brought a smile now makes me roll my eyes, what appeared at first to be mysterious now appears immature. It's not you, it's me. And I will regret the tattoo of his name on my neck in a cursive font.

Did anyone bother to watch W1A?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The part i enjoy the most about the new series is exactly what you have grown tired with. I love watching him skillfully pull the audience around with him, misdirecting and manipulating them, pushing their buttons to further deconstruct the joke until there is, well, nothing.
And then Chris Morris makes him look like he's a fraud for doing it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I enjoyed season 1 of SLCV a lot more than anything since. Even with the abundance of poo poo sketches, the stand-up felt a lot stronger than anything since. I don't know...

ultrabindu posted:

Why did Page Eight get such good write ups in the broadsheets? What is going on here? It was just strange and dull.

I genuinely don't know how anyone could watch more than ten minutes of it and not dismiss it as poo poo. I guess the Graun hacks liked it because it was aimed at them like a loving missile. The characters deformed themselves to yell about which minority they were, showing how inclusive the Beeb is. That or a general hangover of liking leCarré or Gambon.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Mr. Squishy posted:

I didn't know that was on, I guess that's what the shamelessly-named ITVplayer is for.
e: I guess the iPlayer itself is shamelessly named.

Did you watch it yet? What did you think?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Googlebox is getting to be a guilty pleasure of mine. The UKIP candidates (Grey haired chap slurps his wine and says 'Perhaps they could do something about those.. unemployed and you knew he stopped himself saying blacks, and his pissed sloaney partner), the family with a podgy baby Vikki Pollard, the old Wirral couple who are just comfortable and sweet, and the family with mute long haired guy who I am sure must be a goon.

Yes, I am watching people watching TV, and enjoying it. I am the one they pander to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why did I just see an advert for ITV on Channel 4? :psyduck:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Has anyone seen the new Linehan garbage on BBC 4, The Walshes? It's on iPlayer and I don't recommend it, at all.

It's dreadful, like everything he has done after father Ted, which I suspect Arthur Matthews did most of the good work on that.

The it crowd got by simply because it was about nerds and computers and the internet will lap up any old tripe about those subjects as long as they aren't made fun of directly. It was just as terrible though.

The walshes is like some relic from the 90s that wouldn't even be even notable then.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Rarity posted:

Why did I just see an advert for ITV on Channel 4? :psyduck:

This isn't as mad as you'd think. Back in the day (80s and 90s) cross-promotion was a regular thing between them.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Everything Graham Linehen makes is like some relic from the 90s that wouldn't even be even notable then.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like Gogglebox as well. Leon is the best. Those two hairdressers are great as well.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oh and that big Sandra who is inexplicably drinking from a pot noodle pot, and apparently makes fatal trumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tullendar
Jan 25, 2014
I have been enjoying a show called Bluestone 42, which is based on a squad of soldiers in Afghanistan who deal with IED's. It's in its second season, and has been renewed for a third. Well worth a watch.