Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yeah it's a basic loving joke and i am extremely annoyed that i let myself consider the possibility that it might be serious

it's significant that you categorized it as something plausible-sounding but false instead of blatantly obviously not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
americans are hugely unaware so it's not a huge leap, no

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heresiarch posted:

americans are hugely unaware so it's not a huge leap, no
yeah it almost seemed like an actual "lol americans :smug:" thing when jonad quoted it

i am not absolved though :negative:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol

hey sham bamina, did you know that the word "gullible" didnt appear in the dictionary until 1982?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

FMguru posted:

lol

hey sham bamina, did you know that the word "gullible" didnt appear in the dictionary until 1982?
n... no??

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
also if you'd said that about the original mad max and not the road warrior then it would be even more plausible, remember that next time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

true fact: when the road warrior came to american movie theaters in the early 1980s most americans thought it was a documentary (or at least based on a real story) about life in australia

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Robocop was the best 80s wasteland future movie except they underestimated how bad it would be

shaggar is right. I love robocop. turns out robocop 2 is also surprisingly not terrible. it's not verhoeven but they do a really good job of matching the tone and style of the first movie.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i watched most of the first episode of the 100 and it was pretty bad but not as execrable as i figured it would be

i'n not entirely clear on why they sent a bunch of 27 year old teenagers to recolonize the earth or why they wasted lift capcity on bluejeans and handguns but it had mr. reese's fixer lady buddy as some sort of doctor and mr. gaeta was standing around in the background (i'm guessing the space station must be orbiting a soundstage about 3 miles outside vancouver)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ugh finally watched the latest nucosmos

still too flashy and up its own special effects rear end

i knew the atheist ranting was going to be bad but i didn't expect the religious language used in relation to scientific concepts which just makes the atheist agenda that much uglier

is dna really the "scripture of life"?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Stymie posted:

is dna really the "scripture of life"?
ok thats pretty bad

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

now let us read from the Book of Hox

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sagan was a proud agnostic because he knew the atheist movement was a religion trying to gain legitimacy through co-opting science and that was reflected in his work

he advanced science and critical thought as a means to skeptically view the world without having to challenge the legitimacy of religion and the motives of the religious

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

i read this thing about how the physicality of books can tip off how far you are to the end. like you know the end is coming becasue there can only be so much more in the next 30 pages. anyone have any clue what im talking about?

the piece speculated on how authours could confound this impulse, by printing the back of books full of XXXXX's, etc. etc.

seems reasonable although i don't know if it's an impulse worth confounding or embracing

one method i've seen is to just have the back 35 or so pages be an excerpt from the author's next book

another is for the book to just be the first instalment of a trilogy but give absolutely no indication of this fact anywhere on the cover :argh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

qntm posted:

one method i've seen is to just have the back 35 or so pages be an excerpt from the author's next book

or you could go all tolkien return of the king and have the history of middle earth and an elvish dictionary in there

he also milked the ending a lot harder than peter jackson ever dreamed of

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

qntm posted:

seems reasonable although i don't know if it's an impulse worth confounding or embracing

another is for the book to just be the first instalment of a trilogy but give absolutely no indication of this fact anywhere on the cover :argh:

or you can use ebooks and tell it not to indicate the total number of pages read

anyhow tv and movies suffer from this as well because you can always hit the play button to see what's left. it's kind of an interesting problem

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

or you can use ebooks and tell it not to indicate the total number of pages read

thats the best part of kindle on iOS, no progress indicator at all. I have to use a band to hide the progress bar on my actual kindle...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

when I read a fire upon the deep i didn't realize the last half of the ebook was just authors draft footnotes so the ending caught me really off-guard

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

vOv posted:

when I read a fire upon the deep i didn't realize the last half of the ebook was just authors draft footnotes so the ending caught me really off-guard

i knew it because i was reading those notes as i went along

i like that the last one at the end of the book was "It's finished! It's done it's finished it's doneitsfinishedithaghagjhafhkjfhsahgsahgsjg" or something along those lines

a lot of the notes were neat and you can sort of read into the fact that he was working a lot on the alien vocabulary and different stuff with the characters like i think originally the little brother was going to be older at first or something i dont remember but yeah a bunch of stuff was changed and probably changed the whole outcome of the story here and there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stymie posted:

sagan was a proud agnostic because he knew the atheist movement was a religion trying to gain legitimacy through co-opting science and that was reflected in his work

he advanced science and critical thought as a means to skeptically view the world without having to challenge the legitimacy of religion and the motives of the religious

yeah. episode one should have been intro to astronomy and all the cool poo poo in our solar system and the scope of our existence relative to time and space. it didn't need any mention of religious persecution, let alone spending 1/3 of the episode on it. then the evolution episode, which I thoguth wasn't as bad but still had some gross stuff (ex: presenting evolution as a belief in the religion of atheism as opposed to scientific theory), should have been left for later in the series. Start with more familiar science to prevent people from turning it off and then present evolution in the same scientific manner.

I was flipping between hockey and a documentary on science channel w/ brian cox about potential sources of life in our universe and it was way way better and more interesting.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

recklessly cross-quoting out of context

ol qwerty bastard posted:

... those kilometers-long spaceships you see in science fiction ... actually behave ... like huge floppy dongs ...

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
thank you for another opportunity to draw up some nomograms and endlessly agonize over the necessary physical properties of space ships

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hey most of you have good taste so can anyone recommend some good space documentaries? and maybe poo poo like that neat viking ulfbert sword documentary

I like to get drunk and watch documentaries

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hey most of you have good taste so can anyone recommend some good space documentaries? and maybe poo poo like that neat viking ulfbert sword documentary

Moon Machines is really good, especially the ones about the moon car and the moon suits and the other moon stuff that doesn't get as much love as the moon rocket and the moon lander.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935156/

:w00t:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
reading rainbows end at the moment, Vernor Vinge is like the only singularity dude who is tolerable because he is actually a good writer and has relateable characters

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Meiwaku posted:

thats the best part of kindle on iOS, no progress indicator at all. I have to use a band to hide the progress bar on my actual kindle...

mine on ipad shows me the estimated time i'll take to finish the chapter

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jet Age posted:

reading rainbows end at the moment, Vernor Vinge is like the only singularity dude who is tolerable because he is actually a good writer and has relateable characters

Take a look
It's in a book

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

SmokaDustbowl posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon_%28TV_miniseries%29

Really good overall, and a couple episodes (Spider, Galileo was Right) are outstanding.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Davethulhu posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_Earth_to_the_Moon_%28TV_miniseries%29

Really good overall, and a couple episodes (Spider, Galileo was Right) are outstanding.

this really is loving excellent, also "when we left earth"

the bbc made a really good show about the cassini probe called "destination titan" that i really enjoyed too, if you can find it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not exactly scifi but the lego movie is really loving good, like old pixar level

it has as much to say to adults who used to play with legos and still do periodically as it does to kids

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the undiscovered country is on bbc america right now for some reason

a good trek movie

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Beeftweeter posted:

the undiscovered country is on bbc america right now for some reason

a good trek movie
any idea which cut? tv showings can be weird about that stuff (sometimes in a good way).

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sham bam bamina! posted:

any idea which cut? tv showings can be weird about that stuff (sometimes in a good way).

no idea, i was just flipping through the guide and saw it was on. its about halfway through i guess (kirk and mccoy just got to rura penthe)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

not exactly scifi but the lego movie is really loving good, like old pixar level

it has as much to say to adults who used to play with legos and still do periodically as it does to kids

an alternative but not entirely contradictory interpretation

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

new cosmos 3 synopsis so stymie can have his fake outrage posts:

neil kidnaps a white baby and transports him across state lines by flying away into outer space and he explains the meaning of nullius in verba

then neil says that halley's verifiable predictions are more interesting and useful than any hocus pocus prophecies made by assorted flim flam men

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ok? just because something has a brand agenda doesn't make it automatically bad and the world needs to be reminded that legos are the best toys every once in a while

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

ok? just because something has a brand agenda doesn't make it automatically bad and the world needs to be reminded that legos are the best toys every once in a while

someone has to write for the non-existent other viewpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

haveblue posted:

you think you're making a counterargument, that's adorable

• Locked thread