Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

powderific posted:

What about a small pouch on one of the pack straps for lenses and just have the camera out on its strap? Even small beltpacks are pretty unwieldy.

evil_bunnY posted:

Put 2 pouches on your daypack's shoulder straps.

I guess those are the best option -it just seems a shame that I can;t think of anything more creative to take advantage of the fact that these lenses are so teeny-tiny.

Any recommendations for such a pouch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I guess those are the best option -it just seems a shame that I can;t think of anything more creative to take advantage of the fact that these lenses are so teeny-tiny.

Any recommendations for such a pouch?
In cold weather you can wear an M65-type field jacket and use the pockets as dump pouches, but if you want something more flexible....

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

evil_bunnY posted:

In cold weather you can wear an M65-type field jacket and use the pockets as dump pouches, but if you want something more flexible....

A Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 fits perfectly in the pocket of an M65, but the 70-200 2.8 feels like it'll fall out.

An old euro-military greatcoat, on the other hand, has pockets about the size of the TARDIS -- I once put an entire Sunday paper, with all the ads, in the pocket and it only just stuck out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Once you start down the route of making sartorial decisions based on your photo gear, you inevitably end up with a photographers vest:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a bag to take with me to the beach this summer to carry my small bit of camera gear through customs and on the plane. Has to work to carry the camera if I want to go on excursion as well. All I have is a T2i, a Sigma 18-250, a nifty 50, and a filter. Other than the camera gear I'm looking to carry a book or two, tablet, chargers, etc.

My laptop bag isn't suited for camera gear and I no longer have a laptop to haul. Is something like the Kata KT DL-DR-465 Digital Rucksack a good fit?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

spog posted:

Once you start down the route of making sartorial decisions based on your photo gear, you inevitably end up with a photographers vest:

Fun story: One of my coworkers worked in Pensacola in the '80s, and was friends with the local TV guy. This was back in the era of 35mm film for print and short-lived batteries for Beta camcorders. The TV guy wore a vest like that.

One time they were both shooting a football game, and a player got tackled through the sideline and took out the TV guy. He went down in a fan-shaped spray of spare batteries flying out of his pockets.

FunOne posted:

I'm looking for a bag to take with me to the beach this summer to carry my small bit of camera gear through customs and on the plane. Has to work to carry the camera if I want to go on excursion as well. All I have is a T2i, a Sigma 18-250, a nifty 50, and a filter. Other than the camera gear I'm looking to carry a book or two, tablet, chargers, etc.

I was seriously considering this before I put a grip on my camera and decided to go full-laptop size. Looks pretty good for all but the books, but hell, buy ebooks and read 'em on the ipad, save some space.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 16, 2014

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Delivery McGee posted:

I was seriously considering this before I put a grip on my camera and decided to go full-laptop size. Looks pretty good for all but the books, but hell, buy ebooks and read 'em on the ipad, save some space.

As long as you don't take their advice in the schematic and pack all your lenses without bayonet caps :stare:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Delivery McGee posted:

Any opinions on the Lowepro 16L?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Seconding that question- Anyone have experience with the Lowepro Hatchback backpacks? I'm looking at the 22L online and trying to figure out how easy it'd be to remove one backpack strap and access that back compartment like you would on a fastpack or side-access bag.

Messenger bag kills my shoulder after a while so I need a backpack, but I'd like to keep the option of easily stowing/grabbing the camera. Otherwise maybe I'll just stick a lens insert into a regular backpack.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Seconding that question- Anyone have experience with the Lowepro Hatchback backpacks? I'm looking at the 22L online and trying to figure out how easy it'd be to remove one backpack strap and access that back compartment like you would on a fastpack or side-access bag.

Messenger bag kills my shoulder after a while so I need a backpack, but I'd like to keep the option of easily stowing/grabbing the camera. Otherwise maybe I'll just stick a lens insert into a regular backpack.

drat, that's a nice bag. That might be a little better for snowboarding than the Lowepro Slingshot I have.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

evil_bunnY posted:

I love shooting in my M65 so much I kinda miss the otherwise-loathed cold weather we have for about 2 months a year in Austin

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remy Marathe posted:

Get a backpack that opens on the side.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

FunOne posted:

Any opinions on the Lowepro 16L?

Remy Marathe posted:

I use the 16L everyday. I love it. I've used it for backpacking several times as well. I abuse the hell out of it and no issues so far.

I see no need to remove one of the straps. Never any issues getting to the compartment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He means sliding one strap off his shoulder and getting the camera out without setting the bag down, in which case I don't think that bag would do it very well/safely.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It sounds like he wants something like the Kata 3n1 bags. Might be a bit bulkier than what he wants though.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
You've got the 3n1-33, right? I've got the 3n1-30. It looks like the 3n1-10 or 3n1-20 aren't actually all that bulky.

I asked a little while ago what to do about finding a possible solution to having a hydration pack and DSLR. While all of the suggestions that I got were great, I found a solution out of crap I had laying around.

I got a drinking tube with bottle adapter for $11. So I shoved that in an old backpack I had laying around and threaded the tube through a headphone port in the back. Filled up a two liter bottle and was good to go. As you can see, there is still plenty of room in the bag.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 23, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Had the 3n1-30, or 33 or whatever. It's on the mail to the guy who bought it though.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
I'm in the market for a reasonably priced shoulder sling strap for a 70D that attaches to the tripod mount. Any recommendations?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
One of these:

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/curve

With one of these:

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1

Consider how important having a secure strap holding your DSLR is before you consider your budget.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
The problems with the cheap knockoffs seem to be the metal bits -- buy a decent snap-hook for $5 at the hardware store, and if the thumbscrew holding the plate to the camera is a problem, get a 1/4"-20 bolt. You'll have to take the rig off to use a tripod, but better than the screw coming apart and dropping your camera, and you have to remove the BlackRapid lug to use a tripod too. If the plate itself is bad, that could require some work to fab up a better one.

I happen to have a lot of 1/4"-20 bolts laying around. What else can a tripod mount be used for? I've already made a rig to attach a tiny video camera/phone to the long lens (turn the tripod collar on the lens so it's facing up, attach a baby camcorder or iPhone holder, shoot video and stills of the football game at the same time).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

The problems with the cheap knockoffs seem to be the metal bits -- buy a decent snap-hook for $5 at the hardware store, and if the thumbscrew holding the plate to the camera is a problem, get a 1/4"-20 bolt. You'll have to take the rig off to use a tripod, but better than the screw coming apart and dropping your camera, and you have to remove the BlackRapid lug to use a tripod too. If the plate itself is bad, that could require some work to fab up a better one.

I happen to have a lot of 1/4"-20 bolts laying around. What else can a tripod mount be used for? I've already made a rig to attach a tiny video camera/phone to the long lens (turn the tripod collar on the lens so it's facing up, attach a baby camcorder or iPhone holder, shoot video and stills of the football game at the same time).

You can use something like this http://www.blackrapid.com/products/fastenr-t1 to use a blackrapid while your tripod plate is mounted to the camera. My cameraclip Pro came with something similar too.

Super handy!

e. or this http://www.blackrapid.com/products/acratech but that just seems excessive.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 24, 2014

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So, I now have 2 Elinchrom Quadra packs with 3 batteries, 2 A heads and a ringflash. I've seen recommendations for the Think Tank Airport, but that guy also has the much smaller lithium batteries, while I have the bulky Lead Gel ones. I have the hard case that fits a pack and two batteries and heads, but I kinda want to get rid of it and have all my lighting in one bag. Does anyone with a similar kit or bag have any recommendations?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Whitezombi posted:

I use the 16L everyday. I love it. I've used it for backpacking several times as well. I abuse the hell out of it and no issues so far.

I see no need to remove one of the straps. Never any issues getting to the compartment.

Do you know if the 16L or 22L would fit under an airplane seat?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FunOne posted:

Do you know if the 16L or 22L would fit under an airplane seat?

I own the 16L and it definitely will.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'd like to have smallest possible bag for my Fujifilm X-T1 with the 27mm pancake lens that I can discretely carry around. (Or at least as discretely as possible.) The overall dimensions with the pancake lens and lens cap are 5.1 x 3.5 x 2.9" / 129.0 x 89.8 x 75 mm. Without the lens cap, the depth is 2.6" / 66mm.

What is everyone's thoughts on National Geographic pouches like these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841430-REG/National_Geographic_NG_1153_Medium_Camera_Pouch.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731792-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A1212_NG_A1212_Africa_Series.html

Too much of a hipster vibe?

Functionally, I like them although they seem a hair too small (well, more like 0.2") for the X-T1 to work. Any other suggestions?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Carry them in your normal backpack or messenger bag? Neither of those seem terribly discrete, they're so small they probably can't hold anything more than a camera.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
That was my first thought as well. I rarely use my camera bag to carry just my camera. I only use it if I need to carry a ton of camera stuff, otherwise I just stuff my camera in my backpack.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well, my intention is to carry the X-T1 around like a big point and shoot and to be able to keep it on me comfortably almost all the time. After all, the best camera is the one you have with you. I don't really need to carry anything else in the bag except maybe the kit flash and a spare battery and SD cards. If I need to have more lens options or carry around other accessories, then I would use a bigger bag.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Well, my intention is to carry the X-T1 around like a big point and shoot and to be able to keep it on me comfortably almost all the time. After all, the best camera is the one you have with you. I don't really need to carry anything else in the bag except maybe the kit flash and a spare battery and SD cards. If I need to have more lens options or carry around other accessories, then I would use a bigger bag.

You're just going to have to resign yourself to the fate of looking like this idiot all the time then.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If you want alternatives in that style, people seem to like their Domke bags.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I was hoping for a little more input than this. Is my request that outlandish? To put it another way, what do people use for their X100s when carrying it around as a sole camera?

My other thought is to use a camera strap with a body cover like this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/688095-REG/LensCoat_9991CBK_LensCoat_BodyBag_Compact_Black.html

The question then becomes what strap should I use with it that permits me to quickly take the cover off and on and how to modify the cover to connect it to the strap to retain it so I don't have to fiddle with the cover and hold it or stow it away while it's off.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Edward IV posted:

I was hoping for a little more input than this. Is my request that outlandish? To put it another way, what do people use for their X100s when carrying it around as a sole camera?

My pocket. That's the point of having a pocketable camera :)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I open carry on a shoulder harness.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I tether my x100s to my massive erections.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Edward IV posted:

My other thought is to use a camera strap with a body cover like this.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/688095-REG/LensCoat_9991CBK_LensCoat_BodyBag_Compact_Black.html

The question then becomes what strap should I use with it that permits me to quickly take the cover off and on and how to modify the cover to connect it to the strap to retain it so I don't have to fiddle with the cover and hold it or stow it away while it's off.

Have you considered just putting a strap on your camera?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BrosephofArimathea posted:

My pocket. That's the point of having a pocketable camera :)
You must have giant pockets to fit an X100 in them. (I'm imagining pants pockets, not some insane photographer's vest).
Do they make a pentax ME style belt clip for the x100?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nm posted:

You must have giant pockets to fit an X100 in them. (I'm imagining pants pockets, not some insane photographer's vest).
Do they make a pentax ME style belt clip for the x100?

ME Style clips are problematic because at best they would block the lcd screen and controls, and at worst scratch everything up. Stuff like the cameraclip can let you wear it on your belt but it's not as convenient with a small lens camera because of the way it sits (it would jut out at a 90 degree angle rather than sit flush against you).

Cute as heck posted:

Have you considered just putting a strap on your camera?

But then people will know he has a camera, which they wouldn't know if he was carrying a small camera sized and shaped bag!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've been thinking about this and the obvious answer is a bandolier.

A DSLR would pull it out of shape, but mirrorless will lie flat against your chest.

The small lenses are easy to get to in their individual pouches.

It doesn't look like camera equipment.

The only downside is that you look ike an utter, utter pillock.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Minimalist kit:

A long lens and a speedlite in the bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Minimalist kit:

A long lens and a speedlite in the bag.

A hat, a tin of brasso, an industrial-sized jar of vaseline and a fur coat.

Please invite me to your parties.

• Locked thread