Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Really enjoying that Venezuela and Cuba have joined the Axis of Evil now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Essay:Are Atheists Smarter Than The Average Bear posted:

Atheists, are you sick and tired of pesky bears dragging your trash around your property and creating an unsightly mess? You can't seem to outsmart those wily bears and you don't have enough machismo to stand up to them? There is no longer need to despair! The genius of private enterprise has come to your rescue and government bureaucrats have CERTIFIED their handiwork. Yes, there are now CERTIFIED bear resistant trash containers! Go HERE and never again be humiliated by God's creation the bear.

Nothing screams "credible encyclopedic resource" like whatever the gently caress this is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mornacale posted:

A bunch of 3rd world, developing countries are really having the strongest military to ever exist on this planet quaking in their boots. But then Obama has weakened the US military to a level that could get beaten by a Cuba.

And I do love how Venezuela is on the list because they dared elect a leader who said "Maybe the people who live in the country with the oil should benefit from it".

Andy really cannot see the world in any other way than Conservative vs Liberal. He probably goes to a resturant and goes down the menu and orders what he thinks is the most conservative meal.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Not My Leg posted:

Nothing screams "credible encyclopedic resource" like whatever the gently caress this is.

I go camping all the time and outsmart bears by putting my trash in a bear canister and hanging it up in a tree. Check and mate Conservative.

This is also awesome:

Conservapedia posted:

The announcements about the Big Bang "discovery" are purely liberal claptrap. No gravitational waves were observed. To the extent the universe has expanded faster than the speed of light, that undermines the Theory of Relativity (though liberals try to make excuses for the inconsistency).--Andy Schlafly 18:44, 19 March 2014 (EDT)

I'm sorry, I've just never seen such a blatant rejection of widely-accepted science before. I'll stay out of this from now on, as you are right in observing that I do have a bias here. --Kennywillis 19:07, 19 March 2014 (EDT)

Liberals don't even permit discussion and debate, so their "peer review" is by definition a joke. There is a long list of liberal sacred cows that cannot even be questioned in a scientific paper, or else it will be automatically rejected.--Andy Schlafly 19:11, 19 March 2014 (EDT)

Andy has this visceral reaction to the words "peer review" so this isn't surprising or unexpected, but awesome in the sense that he puts these thoughts on paper for the public to see.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's pretty rich coming from someone whose second-favorite debate tactic is "I bet you oppose school prayer so your argument is invalid".

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

That's pretty rich coming from someone whose second-favorite debate tactic is "I bet you oppose school prayer so your argument is invalid".

Favorite being "you do not have an open mind so I win"

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I just want to imagine some of Andy's homeschooled children going on the Conservapedia dictionary, seeing "definition inappropriate for family website," then googling Santorum to find out what the hell that means.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

A bunch of 3rd world, developing countries are really having the strongest military to ever exist on this planet quaking in their boots. But then Obama has weakened the US military to a level that could get beaten by a Cuba.

Everything is whatever the conservatives need it to be. The enemy is both unfathomably powerful and if anybody in the country makes the slightest misstep it's over, the terrorists one. On the other hand that same enemy is so blisteringly incompetent that they can never defeat us. Hell they're stupid for fighting us in the first place. Stay in line citizen and help us out, we'll win any day now. Aaaaaaany day...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everything is whatever the conservatives need it to be. The enemy is both unfathomably powerful and if anybody in the country makes the slightest misstep it's over, the terrorists one. On the other hand that same enemy is so blisteringly incompetent that they can never defeat us. Hell they're stupid for fighting us in the first place. Stay in line citizen and help us out, we'll win any day now. Aaaaaaany day...

Is that an eco I hear, or is it just me?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Would you like to know more?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's the basic conspiracy thinking, enemies are both incredibly powerful and weak at the same time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is that an eco I hear, or is it just me?

Do you also post in/read the Freep thread or the GOP/American politics thread? If so it's not an echo, you've just been in the D&D subforum too long.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

bobkatt013 posted:

Would you like to know more?

Better than the eco post, this.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Alkydere posted:

Do you also post in/read the Freep thread or the GOP/American politics thread? If so it's not an echo, you've just been in the D&D subforum too long.

You referring to the oft-quoted essay by Umberto Eco?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

mintskoal posted:

Favorite being "you do not have an open mind so I win"

Openmindedness posted:

True conservative meaning - willingness to consider the possibility that conservative viewpoints may be true despite the indoctrination towards liberal beliefs in public schools and the media

False liberal meaning - acceptance of sinful, immoral, and dangerous lifestyles

Yep.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
It seems like half of these are

quote:

True conservative meaning - A false liberal term meaning [X]
False liberal meaning - [X]

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Finnankainen posted:

When businesses give you botulism you will eat it and like it!

quote:

Food Police
True conservative meaning - Liberal effort to control what people eat by illegal regulation.
False liberal redefinition - allowing the government to control what people eat because they know better than the free market.

They're probably talking about stuff like banning trans fats and 24 oz sodas, that kind of thing.

That said if the government enforces it it's...not illegal. It might be something you don't like, possibly even immoral, but something by definition is legal if a government body condones it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're probably talking about stuff like banning trans fats and 24 oz sodas, that kind of thing.

That said if the government enforces it it's...not illegal. It might be something you don't like, possibly even immoral, but something by definition is legal if a government body condones it.

I believe it was Locke who spoke of the natural law of man to be allowed to eat cheap and unhealthy garbage without restraint.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Alkydere posted:

*Whoosh*

Small Frozen Thing posted:

You referring to the oft-quoted essay by Umberto Eco?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mornacale posted:

Well, Iran needs to impress someone with their 1920's era boat planes

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

[/quote]

No... No, that's really not true. What on earth do you think the power of judicial review is for?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sorry I poorly phrased that. What I meant was that a body of law is a government construct and not a universal concept, hence why what's "legal" varies from country to country.

I shouldn't have said that a government can't do anything illegal because that's flat out wrong, but a government constructed a system of law and if something is passed legally it's, well, legal. Whether or not you "like" it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

quote:

Environmentalists lose in a landslide in a referendum on fracking in southern Illinois Tuesday. [10]

"gently caress the earth" - Conservapedia.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

so much for all that "good stewards" bullshit in their holy book

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

I think they derive more pleasure from loving the world than doing so with their wives.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Not My Leg posted:

Isn't this an allusion to that old joke about the atheist and the bear, which also spawned one of the greatest threads in Somethingawful history?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2870098

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SocketWrench posted:

so much for all that "good stewards" bullshit in their holy book

I think they believe the earth is in much much much better shape and far more resilient than research would indicate. Though, then we go into that "we became ecologically sound for NOTHING!" territory.

quote:

Mark Twain actually urged people to work to support themselves. What would he say today? [11]

...Uh. What? I imagine he'd say the same thing. The human condition doesn't change that fast, yo.

Did we need an entire conservativenewsandviews.com article to establish this?

quote:

Ted Cruz rejects Rand Paul’s call to ‘agree to disagree’ on social issues.[3]

"gently caress young voters & also the gays" - Ted Cruz.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Upcoming financial bubbles bursting in lower and higher education and its significant impact on the future of Darwinist indoctrination.[11]
"..about a third of American colleges and universities have unhealthy financial outlooks." The future continues to look grim for Darwinist indoctrination.

Everything is going to poo poo, which is positive because more desperate people will be turning to church and which means more people opposed to evolution. They sure got their priorities straight. :golfclap:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

I think they believe the earth is in much much much better shape and far more resilient than research would indicate. Though, then we go into that "we became ecologically sound for NOTHING!" territory.

Typically the Christian arguments for "gently caress the planet" come in three flavors:

1) Christianity and right-wing politics are synonymous, hence environmentalists are satanic and obviously must be lying!
2) God always takes care of things, so it's literally impossible for the environment to be ruined!
3) The Rapture is coming, so we won't be here to care! Making Earth a living hell will just make Jesus come back sooner! That means environmentalists are trying to keep Jesus away! They're the anti-Christ!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Which is why all of this talk about freedom is kind of hilarious. This is the same group of people that were demanding that Rock'n'Roll be banned and censored.

Well see, true freedom is freedom from sin and evil which means those things must be banned, because Jefferson said that the Constitution can only properly function for moral people and that it is wholly inadequate for any other type.

Mornacale posted:

1) Christianity and right-wing politics are synonymous, hence environmentalists are satanic and obviously must be lying!
2) God always takes care of things, so it's literally impossible for the environment to be ruined!

The first response is also accurate for anything that even slightly goes against capitalism.

The second is usually expanded upon with the fact that humans are obviously around in Revelation for the Second Coming, therefore humanity cannot possibly go extinct, therefore this is proof that absolutely nothing humans can do can endanger the planet.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Any comment from Conservapedia on Phelps? I'm in New Zealand and therefore barred from investigating myself, but I would love to know Schlafly's response to his passing.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 22, 2014

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008
Nothing yet on the main page, and Phelps' page doesn't mention it, either.

I did, however, find this:

I can only imagine how much it took not to include a mention of "Atheism and Obesity".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mornacale posted:

Typically the Christian arguments for "gently caress the planet" come in three flavors:

3) The Rapture is coming, so we won't be here to care! Making Earth a living hell will just make Jesus come back sooner! That means environmentalists are trying to keep Jesus away! They're the anti-Christ!

The fourth argument that I've heard is that environmentalists are trying to save the earth. This means that they'll try to save the earth from God when He shows up. Therefore, environmentalists are anti-God and working for Satan.

No, it isn't logical.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The fourth argument that I've heard is that environmentalists are trying to save the earth. This means that they'll try to save the earth from God when He shows up. Therefore, environmentalists are anti-God and working for Satan.

No, it isn't logical.

I....ergh...what.

By that logic every fireman that saved a kid from a burning building kept her from ascending to heaven and is a villain. Every doctor that saved a christian postponed their reunion with god and perfect bliss and kept them in this sinful earth, where they may fall from grace.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sephyr posted:

I....ergh...what.

By that logic every fireman that saved a kid from a burning building kept her from ascending to heaven and is a villain. Every doctor that saved a christian postponed their reunion with god and perfect bliss and kept them in this sinful earth, where they may fall from grace.

I forget who it was, but I've seen someone on this site who has a chronic illness mention how he's been told more than once by fundamentalists that his seeking medical treatment is against god's plan and if he wants to do the right thing he should stop sinning and allow himself to die.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Somfin posted:

Any comment from Conservapedia on Phelps? I'm in New Zealand and therefore barred from investigating myself, but I would love to know Schlafly's response to his passing.

You can use a proxy site or a browser like Tor to get around it. I get periodically banned too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I forget who it was, but I've seen someone on this site who has a chronic illness mention how he's been told more than once by fundamentalists that his seeking medical treatment is against god's plan and if he wants to do the right thing he should stop sinning and allow himself to die.

The same people also argue that psychology and psychiatric treatment (all of them) are terrible, evil things. Faith in Jesus is all you need to think right and people with mental illness choose to have them/are faking it/are choosing to not get better by not willing it away. They believe that psychology should be banned immediately and all information on psychological study systematically destroyed. Jesus and priests will fix your mental issues and if you disagree with that you are an agent of Satan.

No.

Seriously.

THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

To be fair fear of modern medicine is not a purely Christian thing and most anti-Vaxers or Homeopathic types are agnostics or adherents to some new age wackery.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Before Prohibition, there was a group called the Washingtonians that were basically a proto-AA, but were condemned buy the Dry Clery because only God could grant grace and cure you of the scourge of demon liquor. Even when its something that Religion is against, they still have a tendency to condem you if you don't insert Jesus into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The same people also argue that psychology and psychiatric treatment (all of them) are terrible, evil things. Faith in Jesus is all you need to think right and people with mental illness choose to have them/are faking it/are choosing to not get better by not willing it away. They believe that psychology should be banned immediately and all information on psychological study systematically destroyed. Jesus and priests will fix your mental issues and if you disagree with that you are an agent of Satan.

No.

Seriously.

THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS.

And some have been prosecuted for it too....tragically after the second or third child died.

• Locked thread