Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I quit everquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

qxx posted:

stuff about boxing

I did something very similar to you, but I used WinEQ2. I sometimes found myself frantically alt tabbing trying to get to the right character when things went screwy which tended to end in someone dying. WinEQ2 allows you to bind hotkeys to the session windows. I had Alt + F1 for my first rogue, Alt + F2 for my second rogue, Alt + F3 for my shaman, and Alt + ~ for my warrior. That's nice for quickly getting to your tank to pick up some lost aggro, or dropping a fast heal with the shaman.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

joem83 posted:

I did something very similar to you, but I used WinEQ2. I sometimes found myself frantically alt tabbing trying to get to the right character when things went screwy which tended to end in someone dying. WinEQ2 allows you to bind hotkeys to the session windows. I had Alt + F1 for my first rogue, Alt + F2 for my second rogue, Alt + F3 for my shaman, and Alt + ~ for my warrior. That's nice for quickly getting to your tank to pick up some lost aggro, or dropping a fast heal with the shaman.

The Death Spiral of alt+tab alt+tab+tab alt+TAB+TAB+TAB+TAB:psyboom: in a panic to find the right screen is like the worst feeling ever. At this point that never happens with 3 toons but sometimes does with 4. What a frustrating feeling that is though.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I still prefer alt tabbing over isboxer after so many years of doing it, but I also hate boxing entirely so the two might be related.

Does anyone have any real info on Miragul for the Fiery Avenger? Alla is all over the place with 7 days, 3 days, 6 hours, PHs! No PHs!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Goddamn this game. We tried EW raid last night which we've only "beaten" once. As soon as Zeixshikar lands, the raid just explodes. Summoned and one shot a few key people, crystallized some clerics, need less to say we whiped.

I'll have to start getting some timers down, reacting to events instead of anticipating them is really hurting us. The weird part for me is how goddamn hard he is for a teir 1.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't use isboxer. Here's what I do:

1. Pull with monk

2. Click mage window, pet attack/ruinous servant/malo macro

3. Click bard window, autoattack/assist/bellows macro (optional, sometimes done before mage if nuking)

4. Play monk

If i feel fancy I'll nuke on the mage in between cooldowns on the monk. On the rare occasion fights actually last longer than 30secs I have burst damage macros on everyone. Boxing is super easy for me.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Midnight City posted:

I still prefer alt tabbing over isboxer after so many years of doing it, but I also hate boxing entirely so the two might be related.

Does anyone have any real info on Miragul for the Fiery Avenger? Alla is all over the place with 7 days, 3 days, 6 hours, PHs! No PHs!

I killed him last year when I got my paladin his epic. He doesn't have a PH, I just don't remember his spawn time. I just camped my paladin there and checked his spawn every few hours for about 3 days and got him.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

darkhand posted:

Goddamn this game. We tried EW raid last night which we've only "beaten" once. As soon as Zeixshikar lands, the raid just explodes. Summoned and one shot a few key people, crystallized some clerics, need less to say we whiped.

I'll have to start getting some timers down, reacting to events instead of anticipating them is really hurting us. The weird part for me is how goddamn hard he is for a teir 1.

I remember the trick being to stand the entire raid in front of him because he shits out a cone ae that rapes. Put his rear end toward the statue, everyone in front and burn; have people one shoting crystals.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

qxx posted:

It's nothing new, actually it's the old way of boxing. I just guess pretty much everyone uses ISBoxer nowadays but I'm still stuck doing it the old way because old habits die hard. There was a boxing thread on EQLive recently that had a lot of decent info about different boxing styles. I wrote a reply to someone that couldn't imagine someone 3+ boxing.
Also:

"Audio triggers for...warrior going into berserker frenzy..."

I could not even begin to count how many times this audio trigger has saved my group. And on the topic of Audio Triggers and SNES Zelda...which I'm sure we all agree is one of the greatest games of all time...this website has like every sounds in great quality from SNES Zelda and they make *bitchin* audio trigger sounds.

Thank you for this. Back when I used to play I would occasionally dual-box a druid with a monk, and I remember it being a bit of a hassle. Dmg shield and DoTs plus rogue/monk dmg (no mercs) were good for grinding most stuff, and as long as I did not over pull (easier on rogue/monk just FD) I did ok. I think I used WinEQ for it.

Also think you made my day with the Zelda site :-).

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
April patch nerfs zerker damage by 10%. :oh joy: What's funny is that condi damage is what is needing the nerf.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ShadowMoo posted:

April patch nerfs zerker damage by 10%. :oh joy: What's funny is that condi damage is what is needing the nerf.

Lack of patch notes, no incoming test patch notice, test and live spell files are identical.

Are you reposting rumors from general chat?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Anybody know how to go into the UI files and change both the bank UI and the map UI to the default? I'm using zliz's UI but I prefer the default for both of those elements.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

qxx posted:

The Death Spiral of alt+tab alt+tab+tab alt+TAB+TAB+TAB+TAB:psyboom: in a panic to find the right screen is like the worst feeling ever. At this point that never happens with 3 toons but sometimes does with 4. What a frustrating feeling that is though.

This is what 3 boxing is like for me too. ALT+TABBERQUEST. I box a paladin/bard/shaman, and honestly, I don't even use the shaman for trivial stuff like heroic adventures, I just have him there to buff and refresh fatigue. His main use is his wizard merc. I bust him out if I need heals for named, or if I need him to actually contribute in missions. If I can get my bard the t4 ROF click, then I really won't care about the shaman slows either.

Isboxer would make things easier for sure but I just can't justify paying a monthly fee for something that doesn't actually require maintaining a server, like Everquest.

jetz0r posted:

Lack of patch notes, no incoming test patch notice, test and live spell files are identical.

Some hilarious April Fool's joke I guess.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I used isboxer and it was great for the trial but I never bought it/filez it. With a bard you really don't need it and the grand majority of my box parties are 2 dudes with one being a low effort box. Beastlord/bard, Monk/Shaman, Druid/Pet class when I actually feel like playing again.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Anybody know how to go into the UI files and change both the bank UI and the map UI to the default? I'm using zliz's UI but I prefer the default for both of those elements.

Yessir, go into the default UI folder and find the series of files that all start with EQ something (ugh, not at my computer right now). Anyway, you should be able to make sense of the names and find the files that you need to copy over to yoru custom UI folder. Probably be something like EQ_MapWndw or EQUI_BankWndw or something like that. If I was home, I'd be able to tell you for sure.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

jetz0r posted:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/learn-about-critical-damage-changes/

New info posted today.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Interesting, wasn't aware that Guild Wars patches affect EQ. Things HAVE changed!

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I have to give this ISBoxer a try, I'm in the "two characters side by side per monitor" and mouse all over hell and back camp. Anyone have the "here's what you want to learn right quick" for that?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

This is going to change how I play my paladin forever, drat it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

DerekSmartymans posted:

You can also go in your eq\ui\zliz\ folder and delete the equi_bank and map files (or whatever they're called), if the file's missing, it will revert to default. Stuff like textures will still come from the modded UI so it may look funny

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

quote:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/learn-about-critical-damage-changes/

New info posted today.

drat I knew new models were ugly but that gnome looks terrible. Lovin that new update to the green heroic armor.

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have to give this ISBoxer a try, I'm in the "two characters side by side per monitor" and mouse all over hell and back camp. Anyone have the "here's what you want to learn right quick" for that?

To each their own, my method is certainly not pleasing to others, but I never found a reason to need to see more than 1 screen at a time. I would suggest going both full screen and alt+tab'ing between them, give it a try anyway. It's really not bad with just 2 characters and you might find it's more flexible than tiling your windows and clicking on them to active/choose a character.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'd try clicking each window open as well, I find it a lot easier than alt tabbing a million times all over the place.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I did not think the tank merc could handle either mob, but in all honesty most epic guides were written ten years ago. I also was wanting to get my epic around lvl 51-55, around which my tank merc would not be able to handle the high lvl General. Renux is only 50, but is a real monster with that clockwork poison. If she spun my tank I don't think I would last long as a rogue.

Finally I am too nervous to try and camp out without agroing either mob so that the 85 SK can log back in. From what I remember both mobs will poof if they are not agroed within a certain (fairly quick) time limit.

Also, I am not on Test. I rolled on EMarr because it is the server I played on until I quit in 2004.

I'm on EMarr as either Caxide or Suuma and I can help, I can't guarantee a time I'll be on but if you see me on I don't mind coming to help.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Midnight City posted:

Also whoever it was that needed the Soul Leech from Fear golems I have one I can MQ for you if you're on Test, Passenger is the name

That's fantastic. I will get in touch later this weekend if you're on. Thanks!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I have 11 accounts I can use to make heroic characters. Nine accounts are free, two are silver. Any ideas on what classes I should skip, and which classes I should make on the silver accounts?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

suuma posted:

I'm on EMarr as either Caxide or Suuma and I can help, I can't guarantee a time I'll be on but if you see me on I don't mind coming to help.

Great! I'll add the names to my friends' list!

Edit: Run speed 5>SoW, or not?

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 22, 2014

qxx
Dec 2, 2005

Only the wrong survive.

acumen posted:

I'd try clicking each window open as well, I find it a lot easier than alt tabbing a million times all over the place.

No doubt but if you're only boxing 2 toons, then you're only ever alt+tab'ing, never anything beyond that like alt+tab+tab etc... so it's less time/clicks to do that than clicking windows. Three characters is definitely a whole new world for the alt+tab than just two. I would encourage ya to give it a shot, just as a means of making things easier.

But if you aren't already muscle-memory'd into alt+tab'ing on instinct, then you might bypass that and just check out ISBoxer. In a nutshell, ISBoxer lets you control multiple screens from one screen, so you never have to switch to 'active' screens to play the toon. You can project commands from your 'main' to all your boxes via keyboard or whatever, and I'm pretty sure you can even do screen overlays like picture-in-picture. There are some YouTube videos of people demonstrating and it looks good it's just way too late for me to unlearn what I got going on. It seems like the type of program that lets you get as complicated or as simple as you need it to be. And it's even 'legal' to use in EQ, as stated by the Dev team.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Run speed 5>SoW, or not?

Pretty sure Run Speed is a 10% boost per rank so Run Speed 5 is a 50% increase. SoW is 55%, so Run Speed 5 is close but slightly slower than SoW but equal to Fabled Jboots click.

Edit: Those UI pieces you were asking about before are EQUI_BankWnd, EQUI_BigBankWnd & EQUI_MapViewWnd. Copy those out of default and paste them into your custom UI folder. Depending on how custom your UI is, the textures those 3 pieces pull may make the windows look different than the default, but that should at least give them default's structure and size.

darkhand posted:

You can also go in your eq\ui\zliz\ folder and delete the equi_bank and map files (or whatever they're called), if the file's missing, it will revert to default. Stuff like textures will still come from the modded UI so it may look funny

I'm not sure about that. If you delete files out of the 'default' UI folder, it'll definitely patch back in replacements but it shouldn't make any changes to custom UI folders. The patcher doesn't know to scan the for a directory named D:\EverQuest\uifiles\zliz and do a check for files.

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I have 11 accounts I can use to make heroic characters. Nine accounts are free, two are silver. Any ideas on what classes I should skip, and which classes I should make on the silver accounts?

Hard to say what classes to skip without more info and even then, it's really up to you. I don't think there are any useless classes altogether but some are obviously more dynamic or useful than others. If you're boxing and playing some or most of these in tandem, that makes it a little easier to narrow down. Personally, as I mentioned before, Cleric seems wasteful if you have mercs handy. Rogues always bugged me to box because their DPS is not only not passive enough to box fluidly, but positioning is also an issue. If you're talking about boxing most of these, the general rule for me is, "What does the most of it's tricks with the least amount of attention" which is why I like Necros so much, for example. They have pets and dots for damage so you can lay some of that down real quick and flip to another screen while that works it's magic rather than something more demanding like nuking over and over. The same would apply to melee classes that perform fairly well without having to manually mash a button every 4 seconds. It all depends on your play style and how you plan to roll them out on a daily basis as well as what kind of content you plan to mash on most of the time.

That being said, if you need crowd control, I would go with a bard on one of your free accounts. Bards have low AA and you can get a lot of useful AA within the free account AA restrictions. Bards are obviously >> Enchanters when it comes to utility, especially in a group setting. And by silver do you mean gold/paid for? Whatever classes you end up going with, I'd have the gold accounts for whatever needs the most AA/gear to perform; your tank and then maybe your primary melee DPS.

Edit 2: darkhand reminded me of this little trick, for those of us that are nostalgic for this sort of thing: If you go into your EQ folder and delete the two files named spellsnew.eff and spellsnew.edd, then bypass the patcher, your spell particle effects and the sounds they use will be all the old ones from back in the day. There are some instances where this can goof things up but nothing too heavy. Basically, any spell effect that showed up new later in the game will be missing. Off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe a few auras and the spell effect for collection ground spawns. The ground spawns will just look like really plain yellow spheres, for example. Still a fun trick to see stuff like the old invis spell effect and sound, which I love.

qxx fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 22, 2014

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I ended up making the free 85 on my main account a warrior. I kept waffling on it but any time I picked a class I was like "No wait, I would actually enjoy leveling as this class and learning about it."

Like I had made a 85 Paladin but also a little frog paladin I leveled through Unrest with, then camped the Fabled Ghoulbane and Fabled Mithril Twohander in Guk with my main for and laughed when my merc coincidentally looked identical to the character...and suddenly I just wasn't looking forward to playing an 85 paladin I had no connection with. Fabled Mithril Twohander is recommended level 55 so the ratio scales way down on a level 30....it keeps its 41% haste though. Which is just :hellyeah: on that level.

So I decided to make my level 85 a class that is godawful boring to level up anyway! At least an 85 warrior has abilities to play with. Also very useful to camp Fabled stuff with. I got Fabled FBSSs and Ykeshas for a bunch of alts I snuk in LGuk, along with the DE mask for a bard. Next stop: Getting fabled gear out of Chardok without having to destroy my actual main character's max ally rep in there.

I'm not really planning to start playing this character with any seriousness any time soon but it sure is useful to have for killing old content to get drops for my real characters.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 12, 2020

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
Remember if any of you guys play useful classes on Drinal let me know.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Went ahead and made a second Mage to go with my current necro+Mage setup. At 90+, are melee mercs worth a drat, or are they more of a liability due to aggroing mobs when they shouldn't?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Carl Seitan posted:

Went ahead and made a second Mage to go with my current necro+Mage setup. At 90+, are melee mercs worth a drat, or are they more of a liability due to aggroing mobs when they shouldn't?

I thought mercs didn't aggro stuff. When I'm sneaky stepping my merc does not aggro anything that I don't aggro first.

Edit: What is the "level that we can group together" formula again? I got my baby druid to 10 in about an hour (big deal, I know...but I wanted SoW and Stinging Swarm :-) ), and I currently have on my main acct a 20 wizard, 30 monk, 51 rogue (main reason for dual-boxing), and a heroic 85 SK.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 22, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

qxx posted:

It's nothing new, actually it's the old way of boxing. I just guess pretty much everyone uses ISBoxer nowadays but I'm still stuck doing it the old way because old habits die hard. There was a boxing thread on EQLive recently that had a lot of decent info about different boxing styles. I wrote a reply to someone that couldn't imagine someone 3+ boxing without ISBoxer.

At least setup some AutoHotKey scripts that allow you toggle your EQ windows or focus a specific window with a specific hotkey. Alt+tabbing even between two boxes is crazy, because sometimes EQ messes up the tab order, or perhaps you were reading a website, which will then make your browser the next in the alt+tab line.

If you run two windows, it's simple; just bind a shortcut for toggling the two windows like this:
code:
	SetTitleMatchMode, 2
^Space::
	WinActivateBottom EverQuest
Press Ctrl+Space (change to your liking) and it will toggle between windows containing the name "EverQuest". Change the title accordingly, and change the SetTitleMatchMode perhaps to 1 (instead of 2) so it only matches windows that begin with "EverQuest". My EQ windows get renamed by ISBoxer, so I'm not sure what the default title is.

This will also work with 3 or more windows, simply cycling the windows. If you want to bind specific keys to activate a certain box, you'll have to use AHK to launch and rename your EQ windows with unique titles, you that you can identify them. It'll be a bit more work, but is certainly possible.

I'm going to be a bit arrogant here and state that anyone who thinks they like "manual boxing" more than ISBoxer just hasn't given ISBoxer a proper shot, because it only adds benefits; no drawbacks. I think it's much fun to control my little army with just a few keypresses. A fair reason to not want to use it is the $5 / month expense, though.

DerekSmartymans posted:

The bank XML file is named EQUI_BigBankWnd.xml; just delete it if you don't like it. I don't understand how you can prefer opening 24 bags by hand, though, but to each their own.

The map window is the default, just with a different colored border.

Midnight City posted:

No PH, he just wanders the caves. Probably a few days spawn time. I parked a ranger there and checked daily when I did Pally epic a year ago.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I thought mercs didn't aggro stuff. When I'm sneaky stepping my merc does not aggro anything that I don't aggro first.

Edit: What is the "level that we can group together" formula again? I got my baby druid to 10 in about an hour (big deal, I know...but I wanted SoW and Stinging Swarm :-) ), and I currently have on my main acct a 20 wizard, 30 monk, 51 rogue (main reason for dual-boxing), and a heroic 85 SK.
Level * 1.5 + 1, so your 20 Wiz can only get XP if he groups with a player no higher than 20 * 1.5 + 1 = 31.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 22, 2014

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Too much to quote, so let me just thank you for the previous post!

Also, you gave a snip of code to ctrl-space toggle your two eq windows. Where do you "put" this code to have it work for you? I admit I am really lost on where you write this stuff to have it work.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I have ten of my heroic slots sorted out (thanks qxx!). The last slot will be either Monk, Berserker, or Ranger. Which of those three is hardest to level?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Berserker would be the hardest to level I would think.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 22, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Do the berserker but be warned that berserkers are...strange to say the least. I thought I'd like it more than I would but after trying three times at this point all they've ever done is confuse and anger me. Half their AAs cripple you in some way, some hurt you, others just do wacky poo poo like blind you randomly. It's not a class I'd jump into lightly.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DerekSmartymans posted:

Too much to quote, so let me just thank you for the previous post!

Also, you gave a snip of code to ctrl-space toggle your two eq windows. Where do you "put" this code to have it work for you? I admit I am really lost on where you write this stuff to have it work.
It's for AutoHotKey. Have you heard of it? It is a bit complex, but the online documentation is good. Give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Fansy posted:

If any goons would like free access to redguides (an mq2 community), send me a PM. We're always happy to have more shitposts. Also it's fun to run 6 lvl 85's at once, and only have to play 1 of them.

This is the best name/post in the thread hands down. Now that I'm successfully out of the USA and not playing, I can say this here plainly: you're stupid if you're not using MQ and now this dude wants to let you use it free, so this is an offer you should probably accept.

darkhand posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA. There's a reason we only killed him once, and that's it. Most of us were level 99 by the time we actually zerged that poo poo down and refused to go back ever again. Guild roster turnover's a bitch though, so now a whole new crowd of people got to suffer through that motherfucker :v:

RIP LoB zerg DA abuse days of yore

Edit - if you're reading this thread and you don't know why Fansy's the best name ever, you should probably Google Fansy the bard and educate yourself

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 22, 2014