Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Here's one for you. The Two Missing Primarchs are like, the ultra-rare Collector's Edition Primarchs.
Edit: alternatively, given how little info there is, present two random corpses as the missing Primarchs.

Or steal the Primarchs and make your own Space Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Break into Rock to steal the body of Luther, discover L El cool J and maybe kidnap him too.

That would be a serious Black Crusade mission for some of the Fallen.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Alternatively, have the Fallen start infiltrating back into the Dark Angels.
"Wait, is it just me or does the Chapter seem a bit over-strength, lately?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rockopolis posted:

Here's one for you. The Two Missing Primarchs are like, the ultra-rare Collector's Edition Primarchs.
Edit: alternatively, given how little info there is, present two random corpses as the missing Primarchs.

Or steal the Primarchs and make your own Space Marines.

Also good ideas.

The PCs are in agreement about trying to butter up Trazyn, though. He gave them a guided tour of his Imperial collection in our last session, and among his exhibits is a Standard Template Constructor in pristine condition. Come to think of it, a good end to the campaign could be Trazyn agreeing to relinquish the STC to the PCs in exchange for them obtaining the comatose Roboute Guilliman from Ultramar...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't a complete, working STC enough to immediately bring yourself to a serious tech advantage compared to the Imperium? You could turn out the fancy poo poo. All the grav vehicles, archaeotech guns, shielded personal teleporters and vortex warheads you could ever want.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

Isn't a complete, working STC enough to immediately bring yourself to a serious tech advantage compared to the Imperium? You could turn out the fancy poo poo. All the grav vehicles, archaeotech guns, shielded personal teleporters and vortex warheads you could ever want.

Indeed. Trazyn called it a very nice piece of work for such a primitive species. Hence my note that it might make a good high-level final adventure to steal a loyal, comatose primarch and exchange him for the STC.

Trazyn's a archivist and curator, after all. He's after unique exhibits for his collection...

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

For some reason I thought each STC only made one thing? Like, I remember reading a reference to some guardsmen who found an STC that made a slightly sharper bayonet blade and were rewarded with their own planets.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It depends on the STC, but yes, most only make one thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FireSight posted:

It depends on the STC, but yes, most only make one thing.

I thought there was a difference between Standard Template Constructs that only do one specific thing, and Standard Template Constructors that are the full kit that can make pretty much anything you ask of it.

Trazyn the Infinite has one of the latter, in the Rogue Trader game I'm running. Possibly more than one. Nothing but a museum piece for him, if a very nice one, and he'd strongly consider giving it to very talented helpers in exchange for something unique. Like an intact primarch, or the Codex Astartes, Book of Magnus, or Book of Lorgar.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The STC itself is a device that produces something based on instructions. The STC Template tells it what it can build. Most Templates are found inside of an STC when it is discovered, and usually only the inserted Template is found, so "most STCs only make one thing". Templates appear to be something that cannot be reproduced with current tech, so you get stuck with either a single STC dividing it's time between multiple templates, or multiple STCs working full time on single templates. The imperium appears to favor the second method.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Standard_Template_Construct

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Like, I remember reading a reference to some guardsmen who found an STC that made a slightly sharper bayonet blade and were rewarded with their own planets.

That would be a hilarious end to an OW campaign. "Okay, now your Fellowship 20 PC with no social skills must rule this planet."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ronwayne posted:

That would be a hilarious end to an OW campaign. "Okay, now your Fellowship 20 PC with no social skills must rule this planet."

End? That sounds like a fantastic way to begin one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What 40K really needs is an RPG that's all about being Imperial Nobility in charge of entire planets and managing your domains while also amassing political favor and resources and maybe dabbling in Chaos on the side. The closest they have to that is Rogue Trader which is still pretty strongly geared towards space-piracy-murderhobo adventures. They just need to make a game where how ridiculously ostentatious your outfit looks or how many horrifying winged servitors following you around singing hymns is more important than your weapon loadout.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
RT had colony management in a book it was...well it gave a lot of good ideas but the end result was if you get one bad roll, everything burns down. Which while appropriate, it is done in a mechanically unfufilling manner.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Trazyn the Infinite has one of the latter, in the Rogue Trader game I'm running. Possibly more than one. Nothing but a museum piece for him, if a very nice one, and he'd strongly consider giving it to very talented helpers in exchange for something unique. Like an intact primarch, or the Codex Astartes, Book of Magnus, or Book of Lorgar.

Or a Deamon Primarch for that part.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

FireSight posted:

The STC itself is a device that produces something based on instructions. The STC Template tells it what it can build. Most Templates are found inside of an STC when it is discovered, and usually only the inserted Template is found, so "most STCs only make one thing". Templates appear to be something that cannot be reproduced with current tech, so you get stuck with either a single STC dividing it's time between multiple templates, or multiple STCs working full time on single templates. The imperium appears to favor the second method.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Standard_Template_Construct

Don't think they actually have any real full STC systems. The closest the imperium has are printouts that they use as patterns for constructing things. A Leman Russ or voidship is a STC design, but they're constructed conventionally on forge worlds, which have slightly different patterns, probably either due to tweaks the admech has declared kosher, or to the filling in of fragmented and incomplete STC data to get a working design.

Felime fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 23, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Games Workshop themselves go back and forth on what the hell an "STC" is all the time. One book says that it's a single plan for a single thing, another book treats it like it's a complete repository of human technology, yet another book treats STCs like something else entirely.

The best way to handle it, in my opinion, is to simply say that both approaches are correct and that the AdMech are nuts to find a complete, intact STC that will reveal all the secrets of technology to them and let them print off infinite whatevers, but there are also single-purpose STC blueprints for stuff out there too. The writers are never going to let a full-fledged STC pop up ever without immediately having it destroyed/re-lost/corrupted by Chaos because that sort of thing is a game-changer and 40K isn't really big on game-changing things (of course you can feel free to go nuts in your own games) but it's still the sort of thing that can drive character motivations and serve as a plot hook. Meanwhile, STC instructions for a single thing are the kind of prize you could conceivably dangle in front of the players as a brass ring without also having to engineer a radical setting shift in the process if they manage to grab it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kai Tave posted:

The best way to handle it, in my opinion, is to simply say that both approaches are correct and that the AdMech are nuts to find a complete, intact STC that will reveal all the secrets of technology to them and let them print off infinite whatevers, but there are also single-purpose STC blueprints for stuff out there too. The writers are never going to let a full-fledged STC pop up ever without immediately having it destroyed/re-lost/corrupted by Chaos because that sort of thing is a game-changer and 40K isn't really big on game-changing things (of course you can feel free to go nuts in your own games) but it's still the sort of thing that can drive character motivations and serve as a plot hook. Meanwhile, STC instructions for a single thing are the kind of prize you could conceivably dangle in front of the players as a brass ring without also having to engineer a radical setting shift in the process if they manage to grab it.

I'm perfectly fine going with the game-changer option in this Rogue Trader game as the ultimate prize of the game. After all, getting it is one thing. Making use of it, and effecting a real setting change, is going to be another challenge entirely. There will be powerful voices in the Imperium who will say the STC must be corrupted, because Rogue Traders found it. Or because they retrieved it from a Necron archive. Or simply because they're not the ones controlling it. The Imperium is a vast, fractious, and superstitious empire that I doubt a reawakened Emperor could easily bring to heel. And the Adeptus Mechanicus in the sector who aren't Necron fanboys really hate the PCs.

Much more likely than instantly revitalizing the Imperium, I think, is founding a Second Imperium, or becoming an Illuminati-like cabal reforming the Imperium from within, based around the vast power of their STC. It will also depend, probably, on who if anyone else helps them in their quest to obtain the STC. Our ex-Guard new Rogue Trader is a veteran of the 3rd Nocturne Firedrakes, a Guard regiment from the Salamanders homeworld that normally fights alongside their Space Marine allies. The Salamanders would be receptive to a plot to retrieve a fully functioning STC, I think, and the Ordo Xenos Inquisitor the PCs have been working with would probably be down for it. The PCs also have built close ties with the Adepta Sororitas, who might be willing to help.

The final arc, I think, could be a heist movie in 40k. Rogue Traders, Necrons, Salamanders, Ordo Xenos, and Adepta Sororitas team up to steal Roboute Guilliman from Macragge.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Then the orks loot it for spare parts.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I thought you said the Necron collector wanted something unique? By my count, there should be 15-20 primarch bodies lying around. How pedestrian. I can think of another body, that's literally just sitting there, that would be guaranteed to be unique. Now that might be worth swapping for the accumulated sum of human knowledge and technology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sullat posted:

I thought you said the Necron collector wanted something unique? By my count, there should be 15-20 primarch bodies lying around. How pedestrian. I can think of another body, that's literally just sitting there, that would be guaranteed to be unique. Now that might be worth swapping for the accumulated sum of human knowledge and technology.

Cute thought, but not appropriate for how I'm portraying and playing things. Stealing a primarch to trade it for an STC is just my current thought for when I decide it's time to make a grand last adventure for the group. And to be honest, even Trazyn the Infinite would balk at stealing the Emperor's body. A pristine, fully functional STC is a nice find as far as he's concerned, but they were, well, standard at one point in time. The accumulated sum of human knowledge and technology? Hardly. It's a mark of how far humanity has fallen that a STC could change everything.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Kai Tave posted:

Games Workshop themselves go back and forth on what the hell an "STC" is all the time. One book says that it's a single plan for a single thing, another book treats it like it's a complete repository of human technology, yet another book treats STCs like something else entirely.

The STC system is a highly advanced computer system that has all known human technology stored in it. What the Ad Mech has are either print outs from a STC (paper/vellum/carved rock are much easier to store and copy than computers) or badly damaged STC systems that have most of the contents corrupted (with a little c) so they only have the plans for a limited amount of stuff and might well have destroyed the plans for anything heretical (like AI robots).

A fully working system was something that colenists could go to, input what they wanted and the tech level they had at hand and it would give you the plans for what you wanted. So if you wanted a land vehicle but could only make bad iron and brass it would give you the plans for a simple steam engine.

goatface posted:

If you had a fully working STC then yes you could make an army of robots equiped with non-overheating plasma guns on jet bikes but first you would need to be able to make the tools to make the high tech stuff. Luckily the STC will also have the plans for the machine tools to move a society from Imperial levels of tech to some thing much higher, if you could keep the Ad Mech and Administratum off your back long enough to make the tools to make the tools to make enough of the robot death machines.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone done an Apocalypse World hack for Space Marines, or am I going to have to write Emperor's Finest myself?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Your stats are
CLEANSE
BURN
KILL
PURGE

On a 12+, kill everything and everyone in sight.
On a 6-11, kill everything or everyone in sight.
On a 6-, GLORIOUS LAST STAND as you kill everything and everyone in sight.

Sex Move
Fall to Slaaneshi.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I was thinking closer to Dungeon World, using the PRIMAL system of:

Precision, Resilience, Initiative, Might, Authority, Lore

So an Assault would be MI, a Dev PR, a Tac PM, a Techmarine RL, an Apothecary LA, a Sergeant AI etc etc

Honestly, I just had an idea for the two stage skill of
pre:
Anything is a weapon...: Improvised weapons always count as though part of your standard kit
... if it's travelling fast enough: Supply drops can be called down upon enemy positions, with the effect of an artillery barrage
and then realised it would be annoyingly complicated to actually use in Deathwatch,

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Welp my Psyker caused mass possession in our Only War campaign, keeping his terrible track record with psychic powers completely intact. Luckily we were in the middle of nowhere and only two PCs got possessed, but possession causes a shitload of bad stuff... The DM had intended to have a little mini random encounter, but decided afterwards that the possession was a good little side entertainment instead. Best of all, the power used was just something used at full push because the GM stated we'd get access to information we would not otherwise have. I didn't intend to do that, but then everyone OOC told me to push it and then demons. "...and then demons" is surprisingly often how stories involving a psyker end.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Welp my Psyker caused mass possession in our Only War campaign, keeping his terrible track record with psychic powers completely intact. Luckily we were in the middle of nowhere and only two PCs got possessed, but possession causes a shitload of bad stuff... The DM had intended to have a little mini random encounter, but decided afterwards that the possession was a good little side entertainment instead. Best of all, the power used was just something used at full push because the GM stated we'd get access to information we would not otherwise have. I didn't intend to do that, but then everyone OOC told me to push it and then demons. "...and then demons" is surprisingly often how stories involving a psyker end.

I had a psyker in my Only War game roll Grand Possession on perils because of pushing...then kick the demon's rear end on the first possession roll. I'm working on something to give the character for that particular feat, not sure exactly what yet.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The WFRP game Dyne is running on the forums managed to have BOTH of the spellcasters TPK the party, in the same turn. Even with multiple rerolls. After something like 4 rerolls, we had results that didn't insta-end the game. The elf managed to cause every single person related to him to go sterile, instantly, and everyone was de-pantsed by the ice witch.

I loving love the bad poo poo that can happen if spellcasters/psykers gently caress up in the Games Workshop universes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You could make him soulless. Not blank enough to affect the psychic powers of others, just so daemons and warp creatures find it almost impossible to "see" him, and can only really target him by trying to aim at their own blind spot.

Like an Exorcist marine.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FireSight posted:

The WFRP game Dyne is running on the forums managed to have BOTH of the spellcasters TPK the party, in the same turn. Even with multiple rerolls. After something like 4 rerolls, we had results that didn't insta-end the game. The elf managed to cause every single person related to him to go sterile, instantly, and everyone was de-pantsed by the ice witch.

I loving love the bad poo poo that can happen if spellcasters/psykers gently caress up in the Games Workshop universes.

I don't know how people can look at the 40k/Fantasy magic system and not go 'that right there, thats a fine game system.'

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

goatface posted:

Has anyone done an Apocalypse World hack for Space Marines, or am I going to have to write Emperor's Finest myself?

I made some notes on a Deathwatch hack, http://pastebin.com/Rm8B5KS6 (and a Commissar hack because someone needs to run Apocalypse Now in 40k and it might as well be me).

It's just notes, stats, and moves at this point. The next stage is to sort out a set of basic moves and Chapter-specific playbooks. My current sticking point is "which playbook should I start with ?" I'm taking suggestions that would be cooler than Ultramarines.

There's also The Regiment, a very solid military-style hack. In its current version it's for Colonial Marines; the last one was for WW2.
http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-regiment-colonial-marines-25.html

edit: oh, I'm gonna have to use Cleanse and Purge somewhere.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

kingcom posted:

I don't know how people can look at the 40k/Fantasy magic system and not go 'that right there, thats a fine game system.'

It's sure as hell more fun than D&D. We had a Psyker just narrowly avoid Daemonhosting and gain 30 Corruption on the spot in one of my first Dark Heresy games just for trying to use Sense Life to look for targets on the other side of a door in battle. He was waaaaaay more careful after that.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

kingcom posted:

They can do it because it's a drat fine system and don't you dare say otherwise.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Waci posted:

They can do it because it's a drat fine system and don't you dare say otherwise.

I wasn't being too sarcastic cause I love the psyker system.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

For all the fun party types in the Warhams games, I've gotta say, Acolyte teams are my favorite. When you get an Arbitrator, a feudal Psyker, a Noble Scum, a crazy genetic experiment Adept, and a Sister of Battle all sitting down in a bar to go over their plans, they look like the punchline to a joke no-one told.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So after running DW for a while, I feel that I need some practice making compelling and interesting combat encounters. My DW group is rad, but when we run out of ideas for cool combat, we inevitably escalate encounters beyond what was intended. Caravan/top-of-a-moving-train fight? Ends in an avalanche destroying a small city and most the caravan. Vampire-elf summoning a lesser demon in a obligatory sewer fight? Massive ur-God rips a hole in space time. Fighting off members of a chill outcast cult? Barn of refugees burns down.

While that is all super rad, the characters are rarely actually threatened physically before the fight ends/they're running away. I've only had one death, and that was a ridiculous string of bad rolls. What I was wondering, is a game like Only War, presumably focused on small-scale combat, still compelling enough to entertain a ridiculous group like mine, while still providing enough crunch to gauge a pace that everyone enjoys in combat? I'd like some lethality, so my players don't feel like they're just kicking around a sandbox.

edit: I guess I was thinking a sort of 1st ed. D&D, each person makes a character, and I give them two more default dudes/dudettes. When/if they're main guy dies, they get to pick one of the default guys. In between sessions, they'd be free to change their replacement fodder into whatever they liked, with the collary that they matched the general concept, and to worry more about personality than skills.

Or maybe even a "stable" of sorts, where you can pull from a platoon's worth of 40 or so soliders, with the party initial makeup being whatever (psykers, tech priests, other crazy poo poo), while the rest are regular joes (heavy gunners, marksmen, whatever.) However, they'd be able to "purchase" new unique character types and personalities with some abstract resource. Anyhow, then we could bypass the whole awkward "rank" thing, and through group decision, elect who command would send on important missions, get into trouble on a pleasure world, steal the commissar's hat, etc... This would hopefully encourage shenanigans as well, when 4 grizzled veteran freaks and one green recruit get sent on the super deadly kill mission. I think some of my players would enjoy playing the terrified redshirt as an alternative to a more situationally inappropriate/useless main character, and maybe even more so if the newbie survives witnessing untold horrors.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 2, 2014

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FireSight posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a flowchart floating out there somewhere on the internet where it goes from Psyker uses powers -> Psyker becomes the demons -> Total Party Kill!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Cythereal posted:

The original Scrolls of Magnus, a condensed version of the Book of Magnus given to Ahriman. Currently hidden and guarded by Eldar Harlequins, but Trazyn has a solid lead on it.

If you do this, make sure to provide the option for the players to broker a deal between Trazyn and the Harlequins to guard powerful chaos-tainted relics (who better, after all? He's not going to use them, and he will throw the whole weight of a Phaeron into protecting them). Then they could end up doing missions for the Harlequins.

quote:

The Mechanicus would split from the Empire and go to war to get a complete STC. That, of course, would be the best part.

Even if it's just a redundant copy of a single system, it's still an unbelievably holy relic to them, so you're dealing with the local Mechanicus making killing you for it their #1 priority. Not as interesting as making it the real deal at the scope you're aiming for, though.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 3, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does anyone have good suggestions of a map app for playing 40kRP? I'm running a DH game again for my group over IRC and DH/OW is the level where cover and knowing precisely where the bad mans are so you can get them suppressed and then burn them to death with a nun come into play the most. I can try to keep track of it all on paper and report it to the players, but that slows things down a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Microsoft Paint