Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

TheMcD posted:

If we're going to be pedantic, it was never stated that legislature had to be slated to be eligible for the voting in the second part of the session. Logic dictates that, but gently caress logic, we're going by the cold hard words here, and they state the motion that passes is the one "with the most support" - being slated was never stated as a requirement, only implied in the same way the support for my motion was implied. So we've still got 24 hours to collect the support needed to slate it and approve it.

That's your argument? That because it doesn't explicitly state that something needs to be slated to go up for vote? Are you daft man? How can one vote if there is nothing to vote on? No motion had the requisite support, so nothing can be voted for.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Ignore the Islamist pedantically flailing about in an effort to block legislature?

Flailing? Asking that this legislature follow it's own rules is flailing? Do none of you christians read? Do none of you understand the rules of law? What is the point of laws and legislature if they can simply be ignored?

OOC: Guys, of course I'm flailing, the amended law goes directly against what my party would want, so I'm doing whatever it takes to try and get it blocked. Ought to be interesting to see if it actually works though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

OOC: Guys, of course I'm flailing, the amended law goes directly against what my party would want, so I'm doing whatever it takes to try and get it blocked. Ought to be interesting to see if it actually works though.

OOC: Yeah, I'm kind of intrigued myself. I figured this sort of legalese pedantism would come up for obvious reasons, and believe me, I can be pedantic with the best of them. At this point, we've pretty much reached deadlock until we get official word.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I propose an amendment to Operation Down Under: Corollary I

- The main focus of this act will be the expansion into Sicily.
---- Muslims conquered in Sicily are to either be converted or replaced with loyal Orthodox courtiers.
---- We are to direct all plans for expansion southwards.
---- Expansion would be the focal point of our republic for this next legislative session.
- Another point would be the technological advancement of the republic.
---- We are to send our spymaster out to a technologically advanced nation to learn from them.
---- In particular, we are to improve our trading methods.
- Extraneous funds shall be used to further construct improvements in the Goonikos family palace.
---- This will secure a strong base if we ever lose the Dogeship.
- For the purposes of amendment and only amendment, this century lasts 10 years. All subsequent centuries will last 100 years.

This allows us to refine the legislative laws to prevent any future incidents. I doubt I am the only one who doesn't want another 90 years of Islamic shenanigans.

I wonder if TheFlyingLlama is of Sicilian descent.

Edit: OOC: Hang on, I'm going to filibuster this thread in real time

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 22, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
OOC: I AM THE MASTER OF CHAOS! Your infighting only empowers me! :moreevil:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

unwantedplatypus posted:

---- Muslims conquered in Sicily are to either be converted or replaced with loyal Orthodox courtiers.
---- Expansion would be the focal point of our republic for this next legislative session.
---- We are to send our spymaster out to a technologically advanced nation to learn from them.
- Extraneous funds shall be used to further construct improvements in the Goonikos family palace.
- For the purposes of amendment and only amendment, this century lasts 10 years. All subsequent centuries will last 100 years.

This allows us to refine the legislative laws to prevent any future incidents. I doubt I am the only one who doesn't want another 90 years of Islamic shenanigans.

I wonder if TheFlyingLlama is of Sicilian descent.

I like the idea of a law that basically says "WE ARE THE REPUBLIC OF AMALFI, AND OUR LAWS ARE SO POWERFUL THEY TELL LANGUAGE ITSELF TO GO gently caress ITSELF". Clearly, we are the best republic.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Edit: OOC: Hang on, I'm going to filibuster this thread in real time

OOC: Are we all going to get on Skype and talk about Italian cuisine until everybody but one guy drops, and then that one guy gets to call the shots? I like the sound of that.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

OOC: Are we all going to get on Skype and talk about Italian cuisine until everybody but one guy drops, and then that one guy gets to call the shots? I like the sound of that.

"...and THAT, my fellow legislators, is why the secret to the best gnocchi is in the olive oil! Now, if you will turn to page 307 of my pamphlet, we can proceed to a discussion on the finer points of marinara sauces."

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

TravelLog posted:

"...and THAT, my fellow legislators, is why the secret to the best gnocchi is in the olive oil! Now, if you will turn to page 307 of my pamphlet, we can proceed to a discussion on the finer points of marinara sauces."

"Oh my, is that my dagger in your back. Dreadfully sorry, ooh and I'm afraid you might even have to stop filibustering in your present condition. Its okay, the legislature will just have to go on. I'm sure you understand."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Depending on how many people knowledgeable in food you've got in the room, you might start a genuine discussion/argument/war.

I wonder if it's bad form to find that incredibly fitting?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I am of course willing to extend the session until we get something on the docket to vote on, as it would make little sense to continue until the senate votes on something, unless your saying you want the mad doge and Glitterhoof to just run things on the fly for the next ten years in that case, whatever floats your boat.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I am of course willing to extend the session until we get something on the docket to vote on, as it would make little sense to continue until the senate votes on something, unless your saying you want the mad doge and Glitterhoof to just run things on the fly for the next ten years in that case, whatever floats your boat.

As nothing has managed to get the requisite votes, it's obvious that we should turn to our glorious leader, and his trusted lieutenant glitterhoof

OOC: Oh poo poo, don't give them a shot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
On the one hand both Caligula and Nero are very Roman. On the other hand then we aren't killing muslims. I'm very conflicted here.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:siren:VOTING IS OVER:siren:

GAH! What's with this messed up tavern?!? Did you guys get into a minor legal dispute in here? Well let me see this proposal napkin. . .mmmh Well it looks nice, but whats this NOT ENOUGH VOTES?!? You guys, if you wanted me in charge so bad you should have told me!

What's that Glitterhoof, this docket would have succeeded if not for half of the COR leadership not showing up? Mhhh, yes, okay I'll be merciful, ONCE! A thing like this again and I'll be removing three random senator's testicles and blinding their third youngest daughter!

Senators, I'm calling for a second vote right here, regarding the Operation Down Under Proposal. Do though vote yea or nay on it?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also given the problem that COR had of one of its leaders not showing up, I'm insituting another pair of laws for the next session regaring COR leadership.

DIBS LAW posted:

• 10. Leadership of COR for a legislative position will go to the first two Party Leaders of COR who claim one of the positions.
  • 11. For the purposes of legislature,in the event one COR leader does not post during the session, then the opinions and votes of the other leader will become the position of COR for that session. (So basically since AJ Impy was indicating COROR support for the Down Under Act this session, I'm giving it slated status even though technically Sarus never okay-ed it with technical Cor support).

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Yea, and as the leader of the only intermediate party (given the coalition), I'm also using my power to revise a clause, in this case adding the following phrase "and the Doge shall do everything in his power to marry his children off to either nearby rulers so as to usurp their territory or to the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire so as to ensure we have powerful allies".

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
COR votes Yea on the proposal and accedes to the amendment.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Do I still have to give a Yea to this, even though I proposed it? Eh, might as well just in case.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Yea, sorry about my tardiness I was distracted by my drink!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Yea from a rank-and-filer.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Nay.

OOC: GLITTERHOOF WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED ME

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
If I get a vote, I vote NAY

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Beerdeer posted:

If I get a vote...

TheFlyingLlama essentially incorporated your vote in with his bloc vote as leader of the Partito Islamico. However, since the Partito Islamico constitutes less than the 26% of the electorate needed to block the motion, and that the other three party/committee leaders (Myself, TheMcD and Travelog) have indicated our assent, the point is moot. We have the votes needed, as Saurus has abstained from using his veto over my actions as leader of the Committee of Representatives by his absence during the initial phase.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

AJ_Impy posted:

TheFlyingLlama essentially incorporated your vote in with his bloc vote as leader of the Partito Islamico. However, since the Partito Islamico constitutes less than the 26% of the electorate needed to block the motion, and that the other three party/committee leaders (Myself, TheMcD and Travelog) have indicated our assent, the point is moot. We have the votes needed, as Saurus has abstained from using his veto over my actions as leader of the Committee of Representatives by his absence during the initial phase.

True, however for the purpose of the actual vote, I do open it to all members to vote, not just the party leaders. This is of course to allow for faithless electors or dissent, though if members don't vote, its assumed that they then fell in line with party leaders. Though with this measure there does seem to be a broad amount of support across the board (except from Partito Islamico). Still voting is open for another several hours if anyone continues to want to dissent or such.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Jimmy4400nav posted:

True, however for the purpose of the actual vote, I do open it to all members to vote, not just the party leaders. This is of course to allow for faithless electors or dissent, though if members don't vote, its assumed that they then fell in line with party leaders. Though with this measure there does seem to be a broad amount of support across the board (except from Partito Islamico). Still voting is open for another several hours if anyone continues to want to dissent or such.

Reasonable, especially with regards the disparate nature of the Committee. Should any of the constituent parties within the Committee wish to dissent, there will be no reprisals, unless Saurus wishes to throw his weight around.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Never have I assumed to vote for my members. While I speak most frequently for the Partito Islamico, I could never be so arrogant as to be it's only voice. I speak only for myself, and any party members that do not wish to speak, for fear that you Christians would persecute them for their beliefs.

OOC: So does that mean that party members vote as their head does, unless they specifically state otherwise? That puts a lot of power into the hands of party leaders.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TheFlyingLlama posted:

OOC: So does that mean that party members vote as their head does, unless they specifically state otherwise? That puts a lot of power into the hands of party leaders.

I'd like to hope that it encourages people to vote more and participate, plus I'll probably be doing role call votes whenever a shift in leadership happens so party membership can fluctuate. The main reason for the partly leader thing is because I'm basing the success of the vote of the actual number of people registered in the senate, so if some people decide to stop playing for an update or something, then nothing would get passed. Which reminds me. . .

reignonyourparade posted:

You should save and load up as the current doge whenever you lose the dogeship, that way we can have parties aligned to the different families that get a bonus when that family is in power.

I was actually considering doing this, the trick would be how to allocate bonuses for aligning with families and how that would play out. I was thinking some kind of veto or amendment power.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
And with no significant opposition, apart from the Islamic Faction it looks like the Down Under Act passes with a broad coalition of support. This act will be implemented along with the Charles IV Gambit for the next session.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
*Whelp, triple post, aw well*

Update 3

For as much vaunting and pomp and favor went into the crowning of the anti-pope, his reign was rather brief and uneventful, he ditched the King of Lombardy and went squealing back to the Bishop of Rome the first chance he got begging for forgiveness and what have you not.

While theological discord was abound in Europe, per the Senate's orders I dispatched my loyal spymaster to Constantinople to get a better understanding of how to better improve and manage the realm. As we all know the vile Thracians stole the secrets of perfect rule from the Cretians several hundred years prior and then proceded to invest the whole of "western" history to cover this up.

Apparently secrets and tools of trade are abound in the city of Constantine. I eagerly look forword to the next wonderous discoveries that might be had there.

The spies employed by Basileios reported that the situation on Sardinia, the former count had pooled together enough money to try and wage a claim to the rule of the whole island, though time would be the only judge of whether that would succeed or not.

Meanwhile I entrusted my son's education to one of the mayors I conquered, the man was a fairly reliable subject and I needed someone competent to ensure he was taught well.

The King of Lombardy isn't one to be held back from his plans though, after his last anti-pope went crying back home, you'd think that'd be the end of that, but no, scarcely a couple months later, BAM! A new anti-pope. You know what they say about the definition of insanity. You should know, I coined the phrase and had it attributed to me! Bah fools who know no genius!

Ill-Ruler! That's what all these traitors have the gall to name me! ME! The one who steered Amalfi through two decades of intrigue and potential chaos, and to think of these bastards most recent list of "grievances" against me!

They say "Meletios! Don't train your daughter with weapons! Its unladylike like! Meletios, what are you playing at, giving a child a weapon?!? Meleitios, why are you training with a sharpened blade?!?" I'm sorry, I thought I wanted to give my daughter the best training and most realistic combat training and experience.

I mean, yeah we had our occasional injuries and digit removal, but to call me an "unfit father" or "dangerous lunatic" was a bit too far!

Some even called me a racist and "culturally insensitive"! I'm sorry, I thought this was Amalfi, if you want to be Amalfian you speak Greek here!

And you know what, those traitors ate their words, oh yes they did!

My little girl, so much like her daddy, when she wasn't playing with her blade, she was bobbing and weaving her way through court and parties, picking up on small whispers and such here and there. I couldnt be more proud when I explained to her how to snoop through someone's carrier pidgeon messages to see who they were screwing. Learing to blackmail people is a key skill to have!

Of course it wasn't all fun, games and spy craft, we're still a family, and a pious one at that. While her mother and brothers were in church, I taught her how to read her Bible. Not really one for religion my self, but Sofia ate it all up and took inspiration from those stories. I played along, I never wanted her to think her dear old dad was a cynic.

I also showed her how to tell the difference between an assassin and a tree branch scratching at the window. You'd think they'd be difficult to confuse, but in the dark you'd be surprised how much they're confused. For nobles it the second leading cause of death, right after late night carriage rides to the hills where young noblemen and women are stalked ruthlessly in the night.

And you know what? It all paid off, Sofia is a chip off the old block, plotting and shceming all on her own. On top of that, she's a dutchess now, married her to the Duke of Tuscany!

I'm happy to say that was the proudest day of my life, walking her down that isle. More so then when I became Doge, more then when I ruled for ten years. I got to see my family grow up.

Heck, we finally managed to get the people of Salerno to convert to the truth faith, none of this following the Bishop of Rome foolishness. Jut the latest in a string of successes.

Anyays, you asked what I was most happy about these past few years, I completly forgot my manners, how else can I help you today?

Meletios. . .You know why I am here

Do I now? *Sigh* Well I suppose my ruse couldn't last forever, I suppose I knew the terms when you agreed to spirit me off that cursed island. I guess I can finally end this "insanity" I've had for so long.

Truly it was a way few would choose to live, 20 years of addition life for the cost of people's willingness to take you seriously. Not many would choose it.

And I'm equally amazed that you stayed in the form of a horse for 20 years to keep an eye on me. Well few know that in the end, if you use your skills, it don't matter what the others will think of you.

Its funny, another said something similar to that when I made a deal with him. It did not end as well for him as it is for you.

So it is the end then? Well I knew the time was coming, I can't say how my boys will turn out, but I know at least their sister. . .my little girl, will be all right.

Shall we depart then?

Indeed old friend, indeed.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I smell a Muslim plot!

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I smell a Muslim plot!

This calls for swift and righteous vengeance! It's what Glitterhoof would have wanted.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Because the death of a sixty year old man in his sleep is so suspicious. This smells more of another attempt to smear the good Muslims in this republic.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I am not saying its suspicious. I am saying its convenient. Besides, a good Muslim is a bad amalfian.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Update 3

Come now son, on your horse, lets be off bright and early! We have a busy day ahead of us!

Oh ho, you want to complain about it, well let me tell you something. . .

I was scarcely fifteen, a young man, when I was awoken late in the night by some of our loyal retainers. While the transition of power for the new Doge had been smooth, many in the land still spoke in whispers against the family, and your grandfather's madness had bought few friends. I was to be spirited away to Constantinople to finish my education with the family's spymaster.

Doge Musco had been a warrior of renown in his youth, a pious man who was quick to anger he cared for his fighting and gold and little else. While in his older age he slowed down in many of his activities his mind still retained an edge few possessed. His fiery hatred of "unbelievers" was one of the main reasons I was sent away.

Protecting our holdings was Bishop Bartholomew. While the Papists remained in control of the Republic, he stood as a bastion of true piety in the face of adversity, much to Musco's chagrin.

What was left of our coffers was to be spent on a massive construction project at our palace. Apparently my father left instructions in his will that an intricate series of tunnels and passages be built into the foundation of our home. I questioned this upon my return, but to my surprise, the tunnels have been quite useful for when we need to engage in our work unbefitting the eyes of our lord. And don't pretend I don't know you go crawling around in there when you think I'm asleep.

The new Doge meanwhile was already busy consolidating the realm into how he saw fit. First he changed the title of our fair republic from its Greek tone to that hideous Latin form. While I suppose the name of Salerno carries more official weight to change, it still burned me to see such a move.

To try and consolidate our borders, Doge Musco launched a brief war to the north. A female child had come into possession of the county of Molrse so to secure an alliance, he attacked on behalf of a claimant how lingered in the court. The child was scarcely popular, and by the time Bartholomew had raised our banners the war ended in the Republic's favor.

It was in the aftermath of this conflict that I came of age. I'd learned many things while in Constantinople. Apart from the basic craft of spying my father and our spymaster taught me, I also learned how to swing a blade as a guest of the Varangians, those North men taught me how to stand tall and destroy my foes. From the Patriarch of the city I learned of the true faith and the impiety of the Bishop of Rome and those who claimed to be the true owners of the so-called See. I learned that I was Sebastianos Goonikos, first of my name and the true inheritor of Amalfi, that it was my birthright to hold to this republic. But most importantly I learned of patience, of waiting for the right moment, for if one can hold fast and true, the lord will deliver unto us our just rewards!

The Doge himself welcomed me home with gritted teeth, At the wharf he was waiting the city's vast entourage and with much pomp and flair, I was awarded the most serene title of "State Inquisitor", as though a small government post would keep me from my destiny. Still I smiled and "humbly" accepted this great honor.

Bartholomew had also arraigned my marriage to a minor noblewoman from the North. A thin woman who's quick with her wit and quicker with her tongue. If she wasn't a perfidious Papist perhaps I could even love her. We eventually came to an understanding though, as long as we don't talk about matters of faith, neither of us wants to kill to the other. In those rare moments we tend to accomplish a lot. . .

Ah-hem, enough about your mother!

While my rightful title was far from my grasp, I devoted my-self to managing the lands won by my father. While Salerno had dutifully converted, A'rjaeno in those days still followed to Bishop of Rome. Tensions were still high when a talented young artist offered to create an icon of Saint Peter himself! Never one to deny the faithful their rewards I paid him without much though. Scarcely a month later, I beheld the work and nearly fainted from the beauty and piety of such a masterpiece.

Without another word I packed a small ration of supplies and set forth to Antioch. while it was in heathen hands, I wouldn't let such a triviality stop me from observing the land of the Apostles. Bartholomew took charge of looking after the land and my family as I set out.

While passing through Hellas with a small group of pilgrims, we were accosted by a band of ruffians praying on the faithful. I felt the divine fury of our the Lord coursing in my veins. Hewing my blade I smote the wretches so that they might never threaten the faithful again.

I felt my body tremble as I passed the gate into the city of Antioch. The first home of Christianity and home of many of the Apostles! Christ may have perished in Jerusalem, but here is where his message began to spread. I hardly considered myself worthy to behold such magnificence.

And as I traveled the churches and cathedrals, beholding the old icons and artifacts, I felt my faith renew and strengthen a thousand fold. On a small hill outside the city, I knelt an made a solemn pledge. For God almighty and in the name of his son Jesus, I would reclaim my Republic in their name!

Indeed, upon my arrival the Lord only confirmed my oath. Bartholomew informed me that while away, he'd manage to sway many of the villages in Benevento to cast aside the Bishop of Rome. Truly god was on my side.

The day after, my wife gave birth to you. She wanted to give you some barbaric Germanic name! Preposterous! "He'll bear the name of our Republic progenitors and noble savior"" I said. For all my father's many flaws, he was still a noble man who secured our lands for more than 20 years. The family would not forget his name! You carry that noble name Meletios.

If I needed any more proof of god's favor, it was when I found out that Doge Musco had died while I was on my pilgrimage, apparently an old war wound had become reinfected and taken him! Now our Doge was Anasasios of House Konstantios, a true follow of Christ like myself. The righteous were succeeding, while the wicked were being made to pass.

Sadly the Doge would pass only a few months later from illness, luckily his brother inherited all titles and continued proper Orthodox rule on the Republic.

In addition to my honorary title bestowed earlier, I was invited to the Small Council of the Doge. While my talents were better suited to spycraft, the Doge wanted me to ensure to proper command and loyalty of the city's levies. A waste of my considerable skill, but I acquiesced.

The spymaster himself questioned the wisdom of this decision and privately confided in me from time to time for advise. So in truth, I realized long after, God had given me, not one, but two positions of respect now, allowing me more power and influence.

I say I realized because for a time, like many do, I questioned my faith.

With the death of the last Patriarch of Constantinople, a pious and noble man from my time in the city came news of his replacement. A wicked man who cared not for the concerns of the souls of his followers or even for basic morality. Instead he wasted away in the Hagia Sofia, drinking and whoring the days away, defiling the holy site with his mere presence.

How such a man came to this noble position I'll never know, though I suspect it had something to do with Imperial scheming in matters of the faith.

Shiploads of precious cargo was also disappearing off the coast due to an unusual series of fierce storms, as though the heavens had opened up upon the Earth and rage their almighty fury upon us mortals.

Even impertinent peasants were becoming emboldened to act without conscious!

I'm ashamed to admit, my faith wavered, how could I endure so much, a man of my most noble station and still hold to faith? I suppose that's how the devil works in his ways, chipping away at our soul with a myriad of tests. My first failed test was when I indulged your mother in procuring obscene reading material she'd developed an appetite for. The feelings they stirred in her made even a pious man such as my self lose sight of his compass.

Anyways, enough about how your little sister was born. . .

Back to my tale, I would lash out at others for the smallest of offences against me!

Your aunt cared little of piety and god when she came of age, she preferred to fritter her days away on idle fashions and other frivolities.

I went about my duties to my lord with a sense of detachment, I cared not for the task appointed to me. I would bark orders and march the men to be sure, but I had not the fire within to make them shine. Fortunately the Doge didn't notice or cared little about such things.

I even began to stay in an simply feast rather than work to better myself and the realm.

Courtiers and vassals though plagued me with problems, the many who still followed the Bishop of Rome refused to give me basic acknowledgments and for weeks I had to hunt down a suitable replacement for that blasted bird. I explained it wasn't my fault, but my duty as a Christian to repay that debt compelled me to do the work of a peasant!

The worst thought. . .when I was at my lowest, was that damned ball! Sergio Musco had taken it upon himself to host a gala the likes of whitch the city had not scene in years. He took great pains to make sure each and every influential person in the city was invited, including three of the other noble families. Yes an invitation was absent for my housel. Confident this had been a simple error, I made haste to the ball.

Only to be stopped by Sergio and his armed thugs. I expected him to make recompense for the insult of not inviting me, but to my shock, he just laughed and said that I wasn't invited anyways. As the guards dragged me away, he whispered into my ear "why would I invite the son of a madman who got lucky?"

I spent many a day after drowning my sorrow at the tavern, why had God forsaken me so? It had seemed only just a while ago I was blessed with fruitful life, why now was it all falling to pieces?

Then I beheld a mighty vision son.

I sat in a cusioned room, not unlike those I hear of the decadent sultans of the east. A thick smoke smelling of the sweetest lavender hung like an impermiable haze, obscuring my vision so I saw only the outline of the figures before me. Yet I could see their sensual curves, their vivacious dances and hear their seductive calls. Through the haze I could make out the sight of them removing their undergarments. They kept chanting "For the highest pleasure you deserve". They beckoned me to join them in their ecstasy.

But NO! I had fallen low and far, but I could see through the Devil's tricks all the same. I drew my blade and beckoned at the foul deamonspwn to approach me! But as I heard their hisses, the mist faded and I stood before the most raidient light. It told me that I had passed God's final test, that I was in fact, worthy of his most wonderful salvation!

My faith stirred, of course, the lord had great plans for me, I am a Goonikos, we're destined for great things, this was but a momentary gap, a simple negative to balance all the good we've enjoyed. I simply had to plan and the lord would see me through.

I would not be denied my righteous vengeance, the lord would see me through.

Scarcely several days later, a wandering monk found his way to my palace. Inviting him in, he explained that his order was expanding to the holy land after being granted permission to build a monastery by a local Mohammedan ruler. They were looking for patrons to support their most noble mission from god. Who was I to refuse to grant all assistance needed for this task?

I even found a way to supply them with more gold for their task, my bookshelf brims with holy texts and useful guides and primers.

During all this your uncle finally came of age. Salvatore is quite skilled in numerous things, though when it comes to the subtitles of rule, he's absolutely clueless. Still, he's been a valuable addition to the family business with the many blessings god gave him, even the highest of merchants have need of steel.

Through my excursions to the outdoors in my hunt for herbs, I found renewed drive and vigor to see my task through!

God already saw fit to reward me with salvation, but the supplies I needed to ensure the ascent were all the better and much appreciated. The captain of the ship also received a hefty sum for his arrival, tardy as it was.

That when I started teaching you, do you remember? Ah, you may be older now, but you've still got that roguish look about you. But I see you Meletios, I see you skipping on your theological studies to go out and play. I see you doodling mindlessly in the corner. No son of mine will be going to hell for impiety, oh no, not if I have anything to say about it!

I did my duty to my peasants to search for a vile beast devouring our cattle and leaving them mutilated. A fortnight we hunted and while we found no dragon, we did discover a mad man couching naked in a cave smeared in sheep's blood. Not quite the fearsome beast I was hoping to subdue. I sometimes wonder if god put something in the water of this place.

Why else would the Doge have us assist the King of Serbia against a force nearly three times the size of our own.

We'd scarcely mustered the banners when we received word of the inevitable.

Months of planning had gone into this effort. The Bible may say thou shall not kill, but Sergio Musco had impugned the honor of my family and for that, just and righteous recommence was to be expected and delivered. My readings from the Monks taught me about a particular species of hemlock that, when ground into a fine powder, is practically undetectable in wine. A little sprinkle here. . .

And my just vengeance was delivered. But you know what, I learn something there, in one swift action from behind the shadows, I'd neutralized one of our family's biggest rivals. No fight, no messy battles, no fierce proclamations, just a swift and sudden end. And I was good at it, my father had taught me much and with the knowledge blessed to me by the lord, I had the knowledge to surpass my father and reach out to take what was mine by cloaking my self in the shadows!

Anastasio Urso was a crotchety old man, bitter, cruel and greedy, and he was also the next in line to inherit the dogeship! This I could not allow. I was easy enough to build up a network of supporters who wanted to see the old bastard meet a most righteous fate.

We were almost undone when one of my cohorts got drunk and let slip to a bar maiden about our plan. I worried, perhaps it was a sign from god to cease this endevor. But Theophilos was eager to make up for his mistake and beeseeched me for one more chance, claiming he'd found a way to end Urso. Wary, though not ungenerous, I accepted and prayed for the best. . .

And the Lord delivered!

With Urso dead, and his brother, the only other living male of the family, a bishop, the Urso line was extinguished. A merchant from Salerno managed to swoop in and purchase the properties of Urso for a song and establish himself as a patrician, though his new palace had been thoroughly ransacked by Urso's former employees.

Noble House Kill Count: 1

Rocco is a harmless sort though. He's happy enough to spend most of his time on his estate hunting all the wildlife he sees and sleeping with all of the maids. Disgraceful and sinful, but not worrisome.

But ending a noble house, this had nothing on my greatest achievement son.

The Musco with their damned hubris had decided to build the "greatest ship to grace the waters of the Tyrrhenian". Sergio may have been dead, but his son Musco was just as much the arrogant bastard his father was. He made sure to invite me to this launch though, he wanted to see my face when the largest ship in Amalfi ailed under the Musco flag.

Naturally I couldn't allow this. Musco for all his "cunning failed to realize a simple truth

Dock workers will do whatever you ask of them so long as you pay some good gold. A peculiar piece of advice father gave me, but one that I decided to heed.

Hahaha, Musco was screaming that he'd have his "vengeance", it was almost pitiful to see the way the fool kept lunging at me trying to claw at my face, I was almost tempted, them my men could have run him through. Alas though, his men had better sense and held him back.

Now you've been asking me all day where we're going in the city. Well, we have to go to the church.

Your Aunt Paola's wedding was there remember? Its not the chapel, but for grand events like that its quite well suited. But today is a bit more somber my son.

The Doge passed away last night, and today, after his rites have been said, the Signoria will appoint me to the position I've worked so hard for son. Then after that I'l convene the Senate and see if they still have some sagely advise for me.

God has delivered to me one of my fondest dreams.

While I may have had to make some promises to the burghers to ensure their support, I feel the lord will find it in his mercy that I ask of his shepherds just a tiny bit more.

So hold your head up high son and be proud, for your father is now the most powerful man in Amalfi.

What's Been Accomplished as Per Legislative Directives

-Passed low clergy obligation
-I have a spymaster sitting in Constantinople collecting sweet research.
-Goonikos holdings have been upgraded (I upgraded my Palace, Trade Port and some of our feudal holdings this turn.
-Keeping the spymaster happy with lots of gifts, and summer fairs have been going on almost every year.

Still To Do
-Expand towards Sicily/ actually get some land on Sicily
-Build more trade posts (still don't quite have that tech level).

Legislative update to come soon!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 1, 2014

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Good stuff. If you wouldn't mind, think you can end updates with a checklist of stuff you accomplished as per the legislature and things that are still on the agenda? As we go on it will be harder to keep track of.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.
Agreed, putting it at the end is a lot easier for us to keep up with.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TravelLog posted:

Good stuff. If you wouldn't mind, think you can end updates with a checklist of stuff you accomplished as per the legislature and things that are still on the agenda? As we go on it will be harder to keep track of.

Definitely, I'll do that, thanks for the input, I'm still kind of new to this whole actually doing a lets play rather than following one, so I appreciate any and all input from you all! :)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Welp, sorry for the double post. . .

Legislative Update

Ah hello senators, I'm so glad you were able to find your way back to the assembly hall, good thing my father saw fit to purchase it in his will, otherwise who knows what could have happened to it. Anyways, it's been quite a few years since my father last assembled you in these hallowed halls, so let me bring you all up to speed on our surrounding areas.

House Updates

House Castriota is new to this political institution, with Rocco taking over after the last Usco died. They're mostly harmless, Rocca hasn't had any children yet, so the line is still very fragile.

Also fragile is the Mauro. Sico's only surviving male heir is his son Adalgisio, age fifteen. Being the last Mauro has placed an enormous amount of pressure on the child, though I recall I was in a very similar situation to him only a little while ago.

The Konstantios continue to be the most solid family line in the Republic, with three dynastic male heirs, the family has managed to secure their own succession for the moment. They continue to be one of the most prestigious families in the Republic.

Finally the Musco, godforsaken bastards as they are always are also quite strong, with only one female taking up the otherwise male dominated family line, they're succession is even more secure than the Konstantios, the downside with them being they're damned Papists rather than proper Orthodox followers like us.

Administrative Matters

Our quest for noeldge procedes at a steady rate, recently we've improved our ability to move supplies and quarter soliders, which can help us field a larger force.

Our retinue limit is now 1428, so we could now field a unit of Cataphrats, or alternatively hire a different force is we want to have a larger army

MILITARY RECRUITMENT posted:

Cataphract Regiment: 1200 Supply Use
-150 Heavy Cavalry
-100 Horse Archers

Spanish Lancers: 700 Supply Use
50 Heavy Cavalry
200 Light Cavalry

Contingent of Sellswords: 475 Supply Use
-200 Heavy Infantry
-50 Archers

Force of Swiss Men at Arms: 450 Supply Use
-150 Pikemen
-100 Archers

Detachment of English Bowmen: 400 Supply Use
50 Heavy Infantry
200 Archers.

Current Amalfi Standing Force: Two contingents of sellswords (2 shock units)

Here is a list of our provinces and upgrades for them.

The World

Our beloved church is experiencing some dark days right now due to the maligned influence of Patriarch Petros the Second. While lesser men might use this as an excuse to defect to another faith, my piety remains pure!

Despite a series of wars and some fractures, the lands of the Carolingien look a little worse for wear, but otherwise are still fairly intact.

Our largest neighbor is Lombardy, under King Louis (the Lombardy King Louis not the West Francia King Louis) the realm has expanded north and south, holding one of the largest successor states of Charles the Great. He also shares a border with the Roman Empire to the South. Of the medium players in the peninsula, only the Papal States and Amalfi can be considered such, everyone else is either a one or two province county or duchy sandwiched in-between the two great powers.

King Louis of Francia

SirKing Robin leads Aquitaine. He heroically withdrew from Catalonia and gallantly ceded Gascony its independence. He's also manage to avoid the issues of bankruptcy which plague his relatives.

Lotharingia is practicly not a state anymore, with most of its lands annexed to Bavaria, Lombardy Bavaria and Holland. King Lothaire is hopelessly in debt to the Jewish money lenders in his land. He also has no male heirs, so when he dies, King Louis, the Lombardy one, will inherit what's left of his pitiful land.

Bavaria has kept mostly quite this time around, Duke Karlman is nothing special, though unlike many of his relatives, he's not in debt to moneylenders, so that's something.

Here is an odity of the land, the Petty Kingdom of Holland. "King" Geirr was a Norse adventurer who launched an invasion on Lotharingia when it was at war with its neighbors, with his powerful mercenary army, he managed to carve out a sizable fiefdom before negotiating a peace with Lothaire. Quickly converting to Catholicism as to avoid arousing the ire of his subjects and neighbors, he not sits and consolidates his new found gains as the newest independent "kingdom" in western and central Europe.

Hispania is much the same. The Kingdom of Asturias stands against the Muslims, alongside independent Catalonia. Navaara was split in two by a war with Gascony though.

The conflict over Sardinia took an odd turn, both lords ended up dying one after another, the former duke managed to pass his crown onto his son, but in the process, lost a county to the north. Now three lords compete for the island, none having quite enough force and prestige to force a decisive end to the stalemate.

In Scandinavia, the Yngling continue to build their Pagan kingdom.

Sultan Ahmed and the Aghlab Banu were recently defeated in a war with the Byzantines over a province in Sicily. Apart from this terretorial loss though, the Banu has been remarkably stable these past years.

In another strange case of Norse adventurers, we have the Kingdom of Kiev (I refuse to pronounce it in the Slavic tongue). Much like "King" Geirr, King Dyre managed to assemble a might host of sellswords and adventures and launch an assault on the interior of the East. For three years his army burned its way across the vast fields of plateau until the entire land belong to him. Crowning himself the first King of Kiev, he now tries to consolidate his hold over the various pagan lords of the area.

In the far north, Holmgardr and Perm fight for influence and power amoung the various pagan petty kingdoms and counties that dot the landscape.

Finally, it would appear as though we have some competition. Genoa received enough prestige and credibility for King Louis to grant the city special administrative privileges. The Republic of Genoa has spread out fairly quickly, establishing outposts near some of our trade arteries.

SENATORS! I also will need your input on a couple of matters regarding other matters in our republic. First is a matter of our titles!

As you know, Amalfi is only a ceremonial title. To the rest of the world, we have little legal bearing in the world of the nobility. Amalfi is seen as a humble province of Salerno and no more. Currently we also hold the title to Salerno as well, now a republic, it still carries weight. Given the two titles conflict with one another, I wanted to put to you senators to vote this next session. Should we destroy one of these titles?

If we destroy the title of Salerno, then Amalfi will slowly become the primary title of the land, and provinces like Salerno will become legally subservient to Amalfi. It will take a lot of time, but Amalfi will eventually become a recognized title in the world. If we destroy the Amalfi title, then Salerno will be our primary title and name for our humble republic. Of course we could do nothing and hold both, though Amalfi will always be inferior in status to Salerno and will never acquire recognition.

Secondly a matter of inheretance.

There are two men in the family who stand in inherit. My brother Salvatore and my son Meletios. Both have potential and will have their own ways to contribute to the Republic, but in the end, only one shall inherit. Who shall it be? Salvatore is skilled with a blade and is fairly well rounded, but lacks the knowledge of subtleties and nuance. Meletios is but a boy, but already demonstrates remarkable promise. While I plan to be around for a long while, in the event of my sudden demise, I need to know who should stand to inherit should the worst happen? Please designate an heir.

Finally, as I have you reorganize and register your parties anew, I will be enforcing a pair of restrictions. First ALL NON-CHRISTIAN PARTIES ARE BANNED FOR THIS SESSION! I will not tolerate heathens in the senate hall. You papists are lucky my wife will shun me from the bedroom, otherwise I'd ban you too.

Secondly PROVISIONS TO CONVERT AWAY FROM ORTHODOXY WILL BE IGNORED THIS SESSION!. I know you senators are sneaky and might try and push something like this through, I will tell you now though, I will not oblige such perversions!

PARTIES WILL NOW HAVE 48 HOURS TO REGISTER. ALL PARTIES MUST DO SO! PEOPLE ALSO HAVE 48 HOURS TO JOIN IN WITH A PARTY BEFORE THIS SESSION STARTS

A new couple of legislative rules, the Doge will now also be selective on what parties may or may not be welcome in a legislative session based on his traits and characteristic. A zealous Doge will likely ban parties not of his faith, while a lazy doge might ban expansionist parties, and so on and so forth.

In addition, the Doge will also announce certain acts which might be ignored or not heeded, again based on his character traits. I'll still try and fulfill them to the best of my ability, but in the context of that character and his traits.

Finally, I've decided that upon the death of a Doge, whenever his successor takes over, the parties will all be disestablished, and will have to reconstitute themselves upon the next senatorial meeting. So one party that had been powerful under one doge might find its self weakened upon the rule of the next one.

Legislative Law posted:

• 1. The legislature shall convene once every 10 every years to vote on the actions taken by His Tradeship, the Doge.
  • 2. The legislature shall be composed of a number of parties; a party may be created at any time as long as the legislature is not currently in session.
  • 3. The party with the most members shall hereafter referred to as the Majority Party, the party with the least members as the Minority Party, and all others as Intermediate Parties. The leader of the Majority Party may, once per legislative session, use a veto to unilaterally revise one clause of a currently slated motion or remove a motion submitted by the Minority Party from the slate. The leaders of the Intermediate Parties, should a majority of them agree, may likewise revise one clause of a currently slated motion submitted by either the Majority or Minority Parties.
  • 4. A motion may be proposed by any member of the legislature, and requires support from 25% of the legislature to be slated, or the support of 75% of the Party Leaders. A motion may be amended if 1/3rd of the legislature so wishes, so long as the amendment does not reverse or otherwise countermand the general thrust of the motion itself. Any given motion may be so amended no more than three (3) times per legislative session.
  • 5. After 24 hours, any motions which have gathered the requisite support shall be considered slated. After a further 24 hours of debate, discussion and voting, the winning motion shall be the one that receives the highest percentage of legislative support. Should there be a tie, both motions shall be implemented so long as they do not contradict one another, at the discretion of our August Doge, Jimmy4400nav.
  • 6. These bylaws may be amended once per century, in a special legislative session which shall propose and vote on three motions to guide Amalfi's overall, non-specific, goals for the coming one hundred years in addition to the usual 10-year motion.
  • 7. Parties will be further divided into two groups, FULL parties and SPECIAL INTERESTS. Full parties will be subject to all the rules and privileges outlined above, and will require a membership of at a bare minimum THREE PEOPLE to be a full party. Special interests are "parties" that only have ONE OR TWO people, and will instead be grouped into the "party" COMMITTEE OF REPRESENTATIVES. The COR cannot be either the sole majority party or the sole minority party.
  • 8. In the event of a tie for the position of minority and or majority party, the preference will be given to the senior party.
  • 9. Parties may come together and form coalitions to become the majority government. There is no limit to the number of parties in the coalition. COR may be apart of a coalition.
  • 10. Leadership of COR for a legislative position will go to the first two Party Leaders of COR who claim one of the positions.
  • 11. For the purposes of legislature,in the event one COR leader does not post during the session, then the opinions and votes of the other leader will become the position of COR for that session. (So basically since AJ Impy was indicating COROR support for the Down Under Act this session, I'm giving it slated status even though technically Sarus never okay-ed it with technical Cor support)
  • 12. The Doge may, before a legislative session, forbid certain parties from participating in the session. Members will be free to join other parties and lend support there if they wish.
  • 13. The Doge may, before a legislative session, put foreword ONE measure or action he will not partake in, or voice his displeasure at doing something at the behest of the senate
  • 14. When a new Doge is elected, all parties from the previous sessions will be abolished and new party registration can commence. ABOLISHED PARTIES ARE FREE TO REESTABLISH THEMSELVES.
  • Senators are of course free to switch parties when a legislative session is not in progress.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 1, 2014

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
While the Islamic party is banned from the legislature, did I mention that my brothel is having a discount for lawmakers? Come taste the delights of the middle east.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

So long as this republic goes against the one true god, and his greatest Prophet, Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) it will never truly prosper. I see that this is a trick to try and convert those of the one true faith to your false one. It will not work. We shall remain strong, even if we cannot be officially recognized.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Partito Ombreggiato is back open for business.

Also for your questions: Destroy the title of Salerno and Meletios for successor. This started as an Amalfi game and it will drat well continue as one. For heir, Meletios has excellent stats for his age, including Attractive, and zero intrigue for Salvatore would mean a death sentence. Long live Meletios!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
The Partito Imperialista, the Imperialist Faction, as ever stands loyal to you. Now, as with bold Alexander of old when presented with the Gordian Knot, let us make a decisive and unexpected move.

Maintain Both Titles, but switch their names so that we remain the Republic of Amalfi but retain De Jure Control over Salerno.

As to the heir, I am leery of Salvatore's cultural heritage as he considers himself more Langobardian than proper Sicilian Greek. Nonetheless, this is in case something untoward happens to you, and whilst your son is promising, he is underage for consideration as an electoral candidate. Thus, for the time being, Salvatore should remain your heir. When Meletios comes of age, I ask that you pose the question once more, that we may compare these candidates as men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TravelLog posted:

Partito Ombreggiato is back open for business.

My registration card should be arriving shortly by courier. I back the proposal. Meletios is better suited for stabbing. :chef:

• Locked thread