Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Getting this thread back on track: Mud just popped up for streaming and you, yes you, should watch it.

Loved this one, sad it got no award love.

Just streamed Room 237 last night. I love that there's no outside narration at all. These guys don't need any help to seem crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

JediTalentAgent posted:

One story that goes around was that Eddie Murphy wanted to be in Star Trek 4 but lost interest when they wanted him to be a sort of street hustler/comedian character when he wanted to have a character with a more science-based background.

Personally, I've sort of wondered how Murphy would do if given a fully serious, dramatic role to play in a supporting or co-starring role, even if it was just to appear in an HBO movie or an episode of Law and Order.

Put him in True Detective Season 2!

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Just started some movie called Upstream Color. No idea what the gently caress this is. Its really loving weird. I am 20 minutes in. I think I am enjoying it. I have no idea. What the christ is going on.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bung Harmer posted:

Ghostbusters is the greatest comedy of all time in nerdy circles like SA. In the real world it's a pretty good comedy. Murphy was one million percent correct to do Beverly Hills Cop instead.

Yeah calling it one of the greatest comedies of all time is overstating the case a bit IMHO.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I would certainly not call Ghostbusters one of the greatest comedies of all time. I would, unreservedly, call Ghostbusters one of the greatest films of all time, though.

This is because Ghostbusters isn't fully a comedy. Also because that film defined my childhood the way Star Wars did for many others. (Edit: That, and Back to the Future)

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Zwabu posted:

Yeah calling it one of the greatest comedies of all time is overstating the case a bit IMHO.

Ghostbusters is one of the greatest comedies of all time.

The reason Murphy was smart to take Beverly Hills Cop over Ghostbusters isn't because Beverly Hills Cop is the better movie, but because it was a starring role and established him as a leading man. After BHC he went on to star in lots of fantastic movies.

The role of Winston Zedimore, on the other hand, is not a starring role. Ernie Hudson was not established as a leading man. He went on to play in Congo. Not the leading role in Congo, he was just in Congo. He was in Congo, had less screentime than the gorilla puppet, and he was thankful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tennis Ball posted:

Just started some movie called Upstream Color. No idea what the gently caress this is. Its really loving weird. I am 20 minutes in. I think I am enjoying it. I have no idea. What the christ is going on.
Its really good, really weird, and, well, keep watching.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Anyone have any recommendations for good found footage films on Netflix? I love the crap outta those but they don't have a found footage search option. I've seen Blair With Project, Grave Encounters, the Paranormal Activity films and the V/H/S series. Anything else I'm missing?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Is Cloverfield up any of the netflix areas? I just got done watching Battle: Los Angeles and am in the hankering for some more disaster movie stuff.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Yaws posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for good found footage films on Netflix? I love the crap outta those but they don't have a found footage search option. I've seen Blair With Project, Grave Encounters, the Paranormal Activity films and the V/H/S series. Anything else I'm missing?

Europa Report might stretch the definition of found footage, but it's a similar idea.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Yaws posted:

The Bay, Apollo 18, Troll Hunter, Quarantine or REC.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Yaws posted:

Atrocious is a Spanish found footage that was a little slow at times, but has a killer ending.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Tennis Ball posted:

The best use of this film is to play it at a party on mute. People can glance at it every few minutes, see some great cinematography, then go back to mingling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The best use of this film is to play it at a party on mute. People can glance at it every few minutes, see some great cinematography, then go back to mingling.

That's how I first saw Eraserhead. Since I'm a nerd, I sat there in the kitchen with a couple other people and watched the whole thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just watched Computer Chess and I'm not sure what the gently caress I just watched. It reminded me of Primer and Upstream Color in the sense that it made absolutely no loving sense. It was however pretty entertaining and had some really bizarre things. Ultimately it left a ton of questions and plot threads on the table, which is probably to be expected from a movie starring Wiley Wiggins, but it's still worth a look. 82% on RT for what it's worth, which is honestly a lot higher than I would expect.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's how I first saw Eraserhead. Since I'm a nerd, I sat there in the kitchen with a couple other people and watched the whole thing.

I had a similar experience with Fantastic Planet. Eraserhead at a party just sounds like a downer.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Do you great folks have anything similar to Point Break, Con Air, The Rock, Face/Off that isn't with Stallone, Seagal or Arnold as the lead?

Just looking for good 90's action movies. Nothing too serious or dramatic. You know the sweet spot I'm talking about.

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 23, 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Do you great folks have anything similar to Point Break, Con Air, The Rock, Face/Off that isn't with Stallone, Seagal or Arnold as the lead?

Just looking for good 90's action movies. Nothing too serious or dramatic. You know the sweet spot I'm talking about.

THE BIG HIT, though not up for streaming in the US, is worth a watch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Edit: I keep forgetting this is the Netflix thread. Sudden Death is a good one.

Double edit: and they must have taken it down recently. Bad Boys is still up, though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Olympus Has Fallen is the most 90's action movie of the 2010s. No seriously, it's lots of fun and really violent, I was surprised by how much I liked it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Lockout, with Guy Pierce, is more 90s-ish than 90% of actual 1990s movies.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Seconding Lockout, its like guy Pearce went 100% Method and absorbed every one-liner spewing action hero from the 80's and 90's, its awesome.

Also I just noticed Star Trek: Into Darkness and Pain & Gain are on Netflix Canada. P&G is the most insane meatheaded movie ever that's based on real life.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

edit: never mind, neither film is on streaming right now.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

You have to poke around with some different regions at the moment, but find Hard Target with Van Damme and watch the gently caress out of it every day. It ends up on US Netflix pretty often, so you might just have to wait a few months.

Hard Target is John Woo's first American movie. It stars JCVD as a hard-up Cajun ex-commando named Chance Boudreaux (because his momma took one) who helps an out of towner try to find her missing homeless father on the mean streets of New Orleans. Notable for it's use of NOLA as a strange and rotting setting, Lance Henrikson and Arnold Vosloo as villains, a wonderful cameo from Ted "My brother Sam makes some good movies" Raimi and Wilford Brimley riding a horse with an explosion in the background.

edit: Also, my favorite bit of movie trivia

quote:

During this editing period, Van Damme went with his own editor to make his own edit of the film. Van Damme's version excises whole characters to insert more scenes and close-ups of his character Chance. When asked about this edit, Van Damme replied that "People pay their money to see me, not to see Lance Henriksen".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That may be the most wrongest statement to ever wrong. Lance Henriksen rules. :colbert:

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Tennis Ball posted:

I watched that a while back as well. I'm a big Shane Carruth fan after Primer and wanted to see his follow up. I think it was entertaining, but I don't think it lived up to its potential. What were your thoughts after seeing it Tennis Ball?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

You have to poke around with some different regions at the moment, but find Hard Target with Van Damme and watch the gently caress out of it every day. It ends up on US Netflix pretty often, so you might just have to wait a few months.

Hard Target is John Woo's first American movie. It stars JCVD as a hard-up Cajun ex-commando named Chance Boudreaux (because his momma took one) who helps an out of towner try to find her missing homeless father on the mean streets of New Orleans. Notable for it's use of NOLA as a strange and rotting setting, Lance Henrikson and Arnold Vosloo as villains, a wonderful cameo from Ted "My brother Sam makes some good movies" Raimi and Wilford Brimley riding a horse with an explosion in the background.

Hard Target is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Very, very entertaining.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Don't forget that the final shootout in Hard Target takes place in a darkened warehouse full of giant papier mache heads and Mardi Gras floats.

I also had Broken Arrow on this list (yay John Woo) but, yeah... not on streaming right now.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Is Cloverfield up any of the netflix areas? I just got done watching Battle: Los Angeles and am in the hankering for some more disaster movie stuff.

It's up on the Brazillian Netflix.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Skywalker OG posted:

Hard Target is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. Very, very entertaining.

Punching a rattlesnake in the head? Check.

The motorcycle scene which defies description? Check.

Pissed of Lance Henricksen plus doves? Check.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like how Lance insists on using a break open single shot pistol. Just to make it more fair I guess?

He uses it to blow away a traffic cone iirc. He hates these cones!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

priznat posted:

I like how Lance insists on using a break open single shot pistol. Just to make it more fair I guess?

He uses it to blow away a traffic cone iirc. He hates these cones!

The big bad guy having a special cannon type pistol is a John Woo thing that I believe you can see back in older movies like Hard Boiled (Hong Kong gangster flick starring Chow Yun Fat).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zwabu posted:

The big bad guy having a special cannon type pistol is a John Woo thing that I believe you can see back in older movies like Hard Boiled (Hong Kong gangster flick starring Chow Yun Fat).

Oh, yes the eyepatch dude? Hard Boiled is probably my favourite Woo. Face/Off has Cage with the ridiculous gold .45s too.

For something completely different I just watched Capote, something I had been meaning to for ages (even before Hoffman's death) and it's fantastic. Just a fascinating character and Hoffman plays him so well. Great flick.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I just saw Into the Abyss, a Herzog documentary about an inmate on death row, which was great. There's a moment of near self-parody when Herzog asks a criminal "during a shootout, did your accomplice shout the phrase, 'put the balls at the walls'?" Imagine that in a Herzog accent and try not to laugh.

Also saw Upstream Color. It's grown on me hugely the more I think about it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Also saw Upstream Color. It's grown on me hugely the more I think about it.

One of if not my top favorite of 2013. I sort of regret reading the director's explanation for it though, I liked my own interpretation better. A friend thought that same things I did after seeing it too which is that the sound guy is God but I guess not.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

I would certainly not call Ghostbusters one of the greatest comedies of all time. I would, unreservedly, call Ghostbusters one of the greatest films of all time, though.

This is because Ghostbusters isn't fully a comedy. Also because that film defined my childhood the way Star Wars did for many others. (Edit: That, and Back to the Future)

I never really understood why so many people like Ghostbusters that much. I mean it's a good movie, don't get me wrong, I just don't see the lasting appeal of it. I guess nostalgia plays a factor, and it was unique for its time, but there's not much substance to it besides Bill Murray cracking wise and some nice special effects, and personally, I think Men in Black did the whole big budget scifi-action-comedy formula better.

Anyway, it looks like Alois Nebel will only be available until 3/26.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3pXE7BnYOc

It's really visually striking, all black and white and rotoscoped. In motion it's similar to A Scanner Darkly, and while it has a dream like feel it's still pretty firmly grounded in the reality of it's geopolitical setting.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I just saw Into the Abyss, a Herzog documentary about an inmate on death row, which was great. There's a moment of near self-parody when Herzog asks a criminal "during a shootout, did your accomplice shout the phrase, 'put the balls at the walls'?" Imagine that in a Herzog accent and try not to laugh.
There are a few great Herzog moments that help lighten it up a bit so it's not just crushingly depressing for the whole run time. I liked about 44 minutes in when he was asking the guy about the tattoo he had of his girlfriend Bailey's name "Now the tattoo is forever. And what happens if, uh, the relationship unravels? What happens to 'Bailey'?" Again, read it in the Herzog voice for the full effect.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
ACADEMY-AWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARY 20 Feet From Stardom is now streaming. It's good.

Also, One Lucky Elephant is surprisingly thought-provoking. It can be a tough watch if you're :qq: about elephants, though.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I watched Jesus Camp lastnight which is a documentary on Families on Fire Summer Camp. The movie is unnerving, depressing and left me angry. I decided to look up and see where these people are now in hopes that they left this extremism but not one of the stars has left it.

There are so many scenes that just left me speechless. The mom homeschooling her kid and saying that "science is not a fact" Or when one of the little girls said she would be at peace if she was killed for her beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I watched Jesus Camp lastnight which is a documentary on Families on Fire Summer Camp. The movie is unnerving, depressing and left me angry. I decided to look up and see where these people are now in hopes that they left this extremism but not one of the stars has left it.

There are so many scenes that just left me speechless. The mom homeschooling her kid and saying that "science is not a fact" Or when one of the little girls said she would be at peace if she was killed for her beliefs.

My wife, a Catholic, summed up Jesus Camp pretty well after we watched it this past week: "They never actually say anything about what Jesus or the Bible teach. It's more like just a bunch of Jesus pep rallies."

For those who haven't yet watched it: The documentary was filmed during the mid-2000s during the Bush Administration, so some of the politics may strike you as a bit outdated now that the then-vaunted "moral values voters" have turned out to be nothing more than a loud, fetid fart in the wind. But as a window into the "Evangelical Bubble," it's still terribly frightening.

• Locked thread