Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

three posted:

Anyone done Linux virtual desktops before? I looked at vWorkspace but it seems kind of meh.

Is there a good way to automate provisioning like one would with VMware View with Linux servers (theoretically, we could ignore that it'd be a "desktop" in technicality)? I'm guessing I'd need to use puppet or something and create a fair amount of logic.

I basically want to create a pool of Linux VMs that can be refreshed at reboot but can be hit on a pooled basis without having to know what server you're trying in to.

http://vcl.apache.org/

Hope you like very verbose logs and Perl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I know it's a bit far away but anyone wanna do a Goon meetup in Baltimore on July31-Aug 3rd in balitmore?

It's that time of the year where I get drunk as Dan Vs. and go to a con and yell at people.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Or as you used to call them, "weekends".

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Or as you used to call them, "weekends".

Ha, not quite(believe me yelling at them is too much fun). But right after I will be visiting the DFW area as a stop over for VMworld so if anyone wants to meet PM me(I'll buy you a drink or meal or something). Just taking 3 weeks off or so in august.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 22, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mid summer. . . Baltimore. . . convention.

Sounds familiar.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

psydude posted:

Mid summer. . . Baltimore. . . convention.

Sounds familiar.

Well duh, I hope I wasn't too over bearing when we met. I don't even think I brought it up other than the reason "every goon I meet asks my why do you have avatar as an X".

besides dan is my hero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wDrbp7oUU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNU8afXeWM8 And bronies annoy me, too much "never lived in the real world" poo poo; well that and "I didn't grow up on a farm or don't own horses". Seriously 99% of those dicks would run away if they knew what growing up on a farm or raising horses entailed.

But I would like to talk and buy a drink or two for some IT goons(only talk about IT), I think the only goon I met right after a Con was 10101101 and his coworker; both cool guys.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 22, 2014

pram
Jun 10, 2001

evol262 posted:

But no, there's no product out there. You'd have to roll your own. If you want to keep going down this rabbit hole (and openstack fronted by a load balancer, a script that triggers shutdown of the VM on logout or VNC close, and a script which makes sure nova has some minimum number of hosts running with floating IPs in the right range for the balancer is probably what I'd do), you should come over to the Linux thread so we don't poo poo this one up. Or the virtualization thread.

Theres a company that makes a VDI solution for OpenStack, costs $$$ though

http://vbridges.com/technology/bridgepoint/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well duh, I hope I wasn't too over bearing when we met. I don't even think I brought it up other than the reason "every goon I meet asks my why do you have avatar as an X".

Haha, nah, you're a cool dude. I just wouldn't want to necessarily be in Baltimore during any of the major conventions.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

psydude posted:

Haha, nah, you're a cool dude. I just wouldn't want to necessarily be in Baltimore during any of the major conventions ever.

You typo'd something there.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Quitting my job to do the A+ then the Routing and switching CCNA to meet a conditional offer to do an MSc in Network Security.
This is either the smartest thing I'll ever do, or the dumbest.

Bloody excited.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
What are you doing now? There is a huge knowledge gap between the A+ and CCNA. If you're starting from scratch you're going to be totally lost. Maybe cram for the CompTIA Network+ instead of A+, then take the CCNA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you have at least a little bit of computer experience (as in, you have a vague grasp of how your computer, a LAN, and the internet relate to each other) I don't think it's that unreasonable to do ICND1/CCENT from scratch.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I think quitting a job to pursue the A+ cert is extremely risky. The A+ cert is only good for the most entry level helpdesk jobs available. Even then, its utility is marginal. The CCNA is not exactly a walk in the park for the uninitiated. You may want to reconsider your plan to leave gainful employment doing whatever it is that you are currently doing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A CCNA isn't that hard if you're willing to apply yourself depending on the level, granted. If its just starting out and you have the basic grasp of a network, CCNA should come easy enough.

Hell, I have one and i'm a loving idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GOOCHY posted:

I think quitting a job to pursue the A+ cert is extremely risky. The A+ cert is only good for the most entry level helpdesk jobs available. Even then, its utility is marginal. The CCNA is not exactly a walk in the park for the uninitiated. You may want to reconsider your plan to leave gainful employment doing whatever it is that you are currently doing.

Yeah, if you have money to burn, CompTIA/Cisco certs are very commonly offered as night classes at local community colleges, so you might want to check that. (That said, you can almost certainly self-teach yourself CompTIA stuff)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

dogstile posted:

A CCNA isn't that hard if you're willing to apply yourself depending on the level, granted. If its just starting out and you have the basic grasp of a network, CCNA should come easy enough.

Hell, I have one and i'm a loving idiot.

But would you quit your job to pursue it? If it's so easy then study at night while you still have some money coming in from your day job. Right?

It's not going to be easy if you're coming in cold.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Leaving the job seems a bit drastic I realise, but to be honest, regardless of this, that needed to happen anyway.
I'll be doing some freelancing for funds and getting some money from my parents for living.

The A+ I'm going to self teach but I realise the CCNA is a big leap so I'm going for a taught course, two full days a week for six weeks with 7 day a week lab access. I'm hoping that after that even if I'm not ready for the exam I'll be in going in the right direction.

Part time study with my current job is never going to happen unfortunately. But I have a window where I can have some money coming in while I study full time, so I'm going to take it.

I have 5 months essentially. I'm a photographic assistant/retoucher at the moment.

m4mbo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 22, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

m4mbo posted:

Leaving the job seems a bit drastic I realise, but to be honest, regardless of this, that needed to happen anyway.
I'll be doing some freelancing for funds and getting some money from my parents for living.

The A+ I'm going to self teach but I realise the CCNA is a big leap so I'm going for a taught course, two full days a week for six weeks with 7 day a week lab access. I'm hoping that after that even if I'm not ready for the exam I'll be in going in the right direction.

Part time study with my current job is never going to happen unfortunately. But I have a window where I can have some money coming in while I study full time, so I'm going to take it.

I have 5 months essentially. I'm a photographic assistant/retoucher at the moment.

m4mbo posted:

Self study is something I think is kind of a requirement of the industry. Classes are great and I am not saying look for them, but if you aren't doing studying on your own right now, you might not be a great fit for this industry.

After you a+, don't do anymore comptia. Go for a CCNA or some other more specialized vendor line and try your best. The comptia stuff is just doesn't have much value, cert wise or even knowledge wise.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Sickening posted:

Self study is something I think is kind of a requirement of the industry. Classes are great and I am not saying look for them, but if you aren't doing studying on your own right now, you might not be a great fit for this industry.

After you a+, don't do anymore comptia. Go for a CCNA or some other more specialized vendor line and try your best. The comptia stuff is just doesn't have much value, cert wise or even knowledge wise.

Oh don't think I'm not up for self learning, I just figured with my timeframe and lack of experience it would be handy to get some taught time for the CCNA. I'm currently trying to self study with the A+ but I'm not really able to put as much as I'd like in with my hours at work. So I'm changing that problem.

I don't know enough to say what I'll go for after the CCNA, during the MSc if I manage it, but I guess CEH would be useful.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

S+ isn't a bad idea, but I don't know how much weight it holds in the UK.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Security+? Well I mentioned having a look at the Security CCNA but the course leader I spoke to for the MSc said that we'd be covering that sort of thing so it would be better to do routing and switching.

I've got til the end of September to apply having passed the CCNA and I'm hoping I should manage it with a month in hand, or at least I've planned as such to allow for any unforeseen difficulties.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This was pretty much known, but some of the evidence that's come out is amazingly damning:

http://pando.com/2014/03/22/revealed-apple-and-googles-wage-fixing-cartel-involved-dozens-more-companies-over-one-million-employees/

Eric Schmidt posted:

“I would prefer that Omid do it verbally since I don’t want to create a paper trail over which we can be sued later? Not sure about this.. thanks Eric”

"Hay guyz don't commit these crimes to email because we don't wanna get sued lol" Is not the kind of thing you want to commit to an email, because you can be sued. I kinda wonder if the DoJ has a macro that just immediately searches for "We can be sued" as soon as they get their mail dumps.

But this is the real bad part:

quote:

“For each of these ‘Restricted Hiring’ companies, Google has agreed to the following protocol.

1. Not to pursue manager level and above candidates for Product, Sales, or G&A roles — even if they have applied to Google;

So as soon as you get to a management position in one of the major silicon valley companies, you're not ever going to be hired at another company, not unless you quit first I guess.

This goes hand in hand with the conversations about "Why isn't there an IT workers union?" because it's pretty clear that while the workers weren't organising for their benefit, the companies certainly were.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don't be evil.

Be manipulative instead.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

If there's anything the IT industry doesn't need more of right now, it's opinions on who is or isn't a great fit for this industry.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Well I currently feel a bit daunted by it all, but I think it's doable given my timeframe and the time I can put into it daily.

Roargasm, I missed replying to you properly but thanks for the tip, ill get some study materials for the Network+ and familiarise myself with it as much as I can.

Appreciate all everyone's been saying, the forums have been really helpful for getting a clearer picture of the scene.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You're very welcome but it sounds like it might not be the greatest advice :/ I know that the new version of the CCNA is harder but if the ENT exam still covers all of the entry level stuff the Net+ might be wasting your time. Having access to the lab is going to make the material much easier to learn, too

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 23, 2014

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

I'll have a look and compare the syllabus's, I've got the Todd Lammle Study guide for routing and switching and I'm sure I can find out some details about the Net+ online.

Either way a £20 punt on a book is worth it if it might help set me up a bit better, even if it covers pretty much the same stuff it's useful to have it explained by someone else.

E: yeah that's what I figure about the labs. Might try and set up a home one too after I'm comfortable with packet tracer and such.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Honestly, if I was just starting out I'd prefer to do the CCENT over Network+ (I have a Network+ by way of disclaimer). Knocking out half of the CCNA and getting a well-regarded industry cert would IMO be a far better use of your time, especially if networking is something you think you'd like to do.

Patq911
Mar 17, 2012
I'm just starting out as well. By "just starting out" as in "some kid who wants to work in IT". As with most 19 year olds (and probably most people) I have no idea what to start on, what to do, etc. I'm not asking for step by step advice, but I'm also not asking for no advice.

I know that certs are good, but I don't really know what to do if I get one. My parents are paying for my sister's college so I'm either on my own or have no college. I do have a part time job that's only like 20 hours a week, it's not anything IT related; just general cleaning of some government buildings. I had the chance to ask one of the IT guys about how to get in the business while I was filling in for someone at city hall, but I just didn't know what to ask, and I still don't know what to ask you guys. I kind of want to ask if they had an internship or low level position, and what the requirements would be. I don't know, I just don't want to rush into anything.

Also this happens to be my first post on SA I think. I bought this account for no reason a while ago, I guess I should use it a little.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just wanted to bump this a little, I was serious when I posted the other day that if anyone wants a network engineer job in Denver they should PM me :) Guess I should do a formal post in the job fair thread at some point. Looking for roughly CCNP level experience though the actual cert isn't a hard requirement since we don't in fact run much Cisco gear. Juniper, Force 10, F5. Linux expertise a huge plus.

Full-time remote is not an option but frequent work-from-home may be as long as you're in the general area.

Sorry, psydude. I would LOVE to hire you but they want someone in here yesterday.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Patq911 posted:

I'm just starting out as well. By "just starting out" as in "some kid who wants to work in IT". As with most 19 year olds (and probably most people) I have no idea what to start on, what to do, etc. I'm not asking for step by step advice, but I'm also not asking for no advice.

I know that certs are good, but I don't really know what to do if I get one. My parents are paying for my sister's college so I'm either on my own or have no college. I do have a part time job that's only like 20 hours a week, it's not anything IT related; just general cleaning of some government buildings. I had the chance to ask one of the IT guys about how to get in the business while I was filling in for someone at city hall, but I just didn't know what to ask, and I still don't know what to ask you guys. I kind of want to ask if they had an internship or low level position, and what the requirements would be. I don't know, I just don't want to rush into anything.

Also this happens to be my first post on SA I think. I bought this account for no reason a while ago, I guess I should use it a little.
IT is a big field. You have helpdesk, hardware repair, software support, systems administration, network administration, storage administration, business analytics, security, auditing and compliance, software development (frontend and backend), UI/UX research and design, technical project management, technical sales/pre-sales engineering, and product management all wrapped up under a two-letter moniker. You also have the related fields of web design, inbound marketing, social media marketing, and about two dozen others that end up getting shoved under the authority of the IT department because they have to do with computers and the Internet.

So, here's the money question: what do you actually want to do all day?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 24, 2014

starwarsman
Jun 30, 2008
small question: is it safe to assume that being on call is pretty much a requirement for any mid-level job in any of the fields listed in the OP? I worked an event management job that required some bizarre hours, and I kinda got burned out on the whole concept. I imagine it may be a bit more interesting doing structured work at X O'clock instead of watching people eat food and give speeches...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

starwarsman posted:

small question: is it safe to assume that being on call is pretty much a requirement for any mid-level job in any of the fields listed in the OP? I worked an event management job that required some bizarre hours, and I kinda got burned out on the whole concept. I imagine it may be a bit more interesting doing structured work at X O'clock instead of watching people eat food and give speeches...

Not necessarily. It depends on a lot of things, including the type of company and their tolerance to IT downtime.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

starwarsman posted:

On call and after hours work is super common. If you want IT and not after hours stuff, I don't think developers deal with that often (provided they don't have looming deadlines). At least when you're doing that out of hours work, you're actually doing something, not just watching people talk, so the time passes quickly enough.

Also :yotj:

I've been promoted from Systems Administrator, to Production Team Lead. My company is shifting our production platform support side of Operations up to Auckland, and leaving our dev support side in Wellington. I'll be going up there and immediately hiring a whole team that I'm going to have to train up in how we do things.

This will be my first ever management job. Work is going to send me on some training courses, but what advice does this thread have for a newbie manager? I'm the stereotypical introvert so I'm a little freaked out by the prospect, but pretty excited about the career progression possibilities.

m4mbo
Oct 22, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Honestly, if I was just starting out I'd prefer to do the CCENT over Network+ (I have a Network+ by way of disclaimer). Knocking out half of the CCNA and getting a well-regarded industry cert would IMO be a far better use of your time, especially if networking is something you think you'd like to do.

I see, well I've got a bit of time before the end of my notice period to compare and contrast before I really get stuck into stuff, so I'll bear that in mind.

I want to go into security in the end, the MSc is computer and network security. I'm not quite sure where in security but it just seems like a really exciting and dynamic field.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

This will be my first ever management job. Work is going to send me on some training courses, but what advice does this thread have for a newbie manager? I'm the stereotypical introvert so I'm a little freaked out by the prospect, but pretty excited about the career progression possibilities.

Go browse around Katemats.com, especially anything tagged Management. She has a bunch of thoughtful blog posts on exactly this, including one right on the front page (although that one is actually just an ad for her book now that I look at it. Other posts have actual content).

Also don't be a micromanaging shitlord. You hired these people for a reason, give them some direction and then let them go and get poo poo done. Give them measurable goals and deadlines you can use to determine if they're getting said poo poo done. Don't come by every 20 minutes to ask "hey, hey, what are you working on? How is it going? Why did you use that flag in the command you just ran? What does it do?" because you're terribly insecure. Basically don't be one of my past bosses :v:

And congrats on the YOTJ!

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 24, 2014

Patq911
Mar 17, 2012

Misogynist posted:

IT is a big field. You have helpdesk, hardware repair, software support, systems administration, network administration, storage administration, business analytics, security, auditing and compliance, software development (frontend and backend), UI/UX research and design, technical project management, technical sales/pre-sales engineering, and product management all wrapped up under a two-letter moniker. You also have the related fields of web design, inbound marketing, social media marketing, and about two dozen others that end up getting shoved under the authority of the IT department because they have to do with computers and the Internet.

So, here's the money question: what do you actually want to do all day?

That's a big question that I don't even know if I can answer truthfully. I don't know enough about the different fields to concretely choose one. The most truthful answer I can give is something to do with managing network/s in an organization. "Marketing" and "Development" do not sound like things I would like, but like I said I don't know enough.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Patq911 posted:

That's a big question that I don't even know if I can answer truthfully. I don't know enough about the different fields to concretely choose one. The most truthful answer I can give is something to do with managing network/s in an organization. "Marketing" and "Development" do not sound like things I would like, but like I said I don't know enough.
Seven questions to start you off with the SH/SC Career Counselors:

• What is it that draws you towards working with technology?
  • Do you like working with software, or hardware?
  • Do you like interacting directly with people on a regular basis?
  • Do you prefer to ensure things run smoothly, or to build things yourself?
  • How do you feel about math?
  • How do you feel about the intricacies of business and organizational behavior?
  • Do you have any ambitions towards managing people one day?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
This'll be the day I secondline with the head IT guy for a new job, wish me luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
How many of you goons live in the DC area? I was down there this weekend bumming a free mini-vacation off my gf's corporate expensed trip and fell in love with the condo/apartments across from Reagan Airport, they're on Crystal Drive in Arlington. I am wondering how the commute is in that area on a daily basis, my limited exposure to that area is y'all are really slow drivers compared to us New Yorkers and it may drive me crazy, but maybe subway commuting would work. Also is the pay comparable to NYC metro area?

• Locked thread