Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
With the Unicorn you just have to transform it into Unicorn mode before you disassemble it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Also MG Turn X confirmed to have a custom action base. It's just slightly taller than the MG Turn A so you can have the Turn X do the full on energy drain too!

This is all leading up to a Master Grade Kapool, right?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

boom boom boom posted:

This is all leading up to a Master Grade Kapool, right?

You have no idea how much I want an MG Kapool. The Kapool and GM Sniper II need MGs like, yesterday.

I'm hoping that because of Build Fighters, we may someday get a MG GM Sniper II and GM Sniper K9. Someday...

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011

The Leper Colon V posted:

Get some actual sandpaper, got it.

Consider a couple Popsicle sticks to glue strips of sandpaper on as well, both your fingers and the model will thank you. Also, while not a proper model nipper, a small pair of wire cutters will be so much more pleasant to use then nail clippers that it's worth digging them out if you already have some. I learned both these things the hard way on a 1/100 Flag that I just finished snapping together after many years of forgetting Gundam kits existed. (Damnit, Build Fighters) Spoiler alert: It came out like poo poo, but man was it a fun romp down Nostalgia Lane. Oh, and if anyone remembers me freaking out about the number of parts in the MG Tallgeese up thread, I freaked out almost as much going from building an F-90 P Type to the Flag. Only in a good way this time. :neckbeard:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Was there for the premier of Twitch Plays Emerald, and decided to see if I could finish the Hyper Mega Launcher before they could get their starter. I almost made it but then the landing gear stymied me.

First up, turns out I was wrong. This thing is primarily based off the HG, just slightly modified to equal the MG's level of parts separation. They even give you the connector to plug into the bottom of the MG Zeta 2.0, though presumably that won't work with the RG. Kept it just in case though.

Biggest difference is this latch, which is well known as the main reason why the HG HML can't fit onto the RG. It's been trimmed from a solid piece into two walls and a flat surface between them, and has a new connection that honestly doesn't work all that well. There's also a new part similar to the HG's connector into the bottom of HG Zeta, which was kind of annoying to figure out how to use since there are no instructions given.

Here it is compared to the ZZ's Double Beam Rifle. Still ridiculously heavy, even the ZZ's shields couldn't support it at full extension. I dunno if the RG Zeta's inner frame is enough for this to be honest.

"Flight mode" for both I guess. The promo pics for the RG HML show it coming with the HG's landing gear, but those aren't actually included. Instead you get these two really small parts that don't actually fit where they're supposed to go and wouldn't reach the ground even if they did.

Thoughts on the kit? It's alright. It's got a giant seam running down the entire middle, and it's made of that really cheap, rigid plastic that you can't really sand. Had to disassemble it a couple times, each time thinking I'd snap a peg. I never did, which is either because I was so careful or because it's pretty durable. I dunno.

Checked back to the stream after typing this all up and they're still not done with the tutorial. :allears:

EDIT: Tested out the Nu vKa's leftover sheet of effect parts, and it turned out it was too small for the HG.

So I tried something else. It looks pretty silly, but better than nothing. :shrug:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 22, 2014

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/03/hguc-1144-neo-zeong-on-display-anime.html

wow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drat, that thing's big :magical:.

"Yes, it is true; We designed this thing on a drunken bet, just to see if the toy guys would actually make an HG kit the size of a toddler."

edit: There's also a picture of the Crossbone Maoh's chest cannon. I'm a little sad it wasn't "Eyebeams-o'-Doom" :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 22, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

25k Yen, so given import prices and shipping that'll probably be anywhere from $300-350 for foreigners. Oh right and holy goddamn poo poo Bandai. I'm pretty sure if I bought it and put it on display somewhere, it's big enough that my cat would think we got another pet to replace him and he'd challenge it to a fight.
EDIT: I know how money works!

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, looks like nowhere local sells gunpla, so I'll probably have to import. If I do, what's the general consensus on the two shipping methods? SAL is a lot cheaper for lighter packages, but the uninsured/3-week time is making me wary.

Could've sworn I saw a discussion about this a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Okay, looks like nowhere local sells gunpla, so I'll probably have to import. If I do, what's the general consensus on the two shipping methods? SAL is a lot cheaper for lighter packages, but the uninsured/3-week time is making me wary.

Could've sworn I saw a discussion about this a few pages ago, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me now.

EMS is perfectly fine and quite quick, but they do tend to send kits just wrapped in a plastic shipping bag rather than in a cardboard parcel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've never lost anything from SAL, for what it's worth. If the price difference between the two shipping methods is less than 10% of the value of the shipment I just EMS it because why not; more than that and I wait for the boat to come in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

I've never lost anything from SAL, for what it's worth. If the price difference between the two shipping methods is less than 10% of the value of the shipment I just EMS it because why not; more than that and I wait for the boat to come in.

The price difference isn't so bad, considering what you'd pay for the EMS rate is usually about what you'd pay locally in-store.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It looks like I can actually get a Plavisky Wing Star Build Strike for the same price as the regular Build Strike + Shipping. I was going to have to get the tools on Amazon anyways, so I can throw that in there, and get free shipping. :toot:

...anyone have any experience with putting Future on the translucent wing effect bits? I'm wondering if it'd make them look better. Since, from the pictures, they look pretty plastic-y.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Future is a gloss coat, so yes it makes transparent plastic more shiny. It's one of the very few tools you'll have that will actually work on clear plastic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hm... I wonder if there's a way to use Future, and then intentionally frost the plastic slightly. That seems like it'd make a cool effect.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just spray a flat coat on top of the Future. You'll cover up the gloss though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hm... I wonder if there's a way to use Future, and then intentionally frost the plastic slightly. That seems like it'd make a cool effect.

Some high grit sandpaper miiiight work? I forget whether or not you can make it more glasslike by essentially polishing with higher grit sandpaper, but you can definitely create a frosted effect.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat, that thing's big :magical:.
"Yes, it is true; We designed this thing on a drunken bet, just to see if the toy guys would actually make an HG kit the size of a toddler."

edit: There's also a picture of the Crossbone Maoh's chest cannon. I'm a little sad it wasn't "Eyebeams-o'-Doom" :sigh:.

I love it, I want to someday have it fighting the Dendrobium or something. :allears:

Also 'Screaming Skull Of Destruction' is still a pretty cool chest cannon.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I love it, I want to someday have it fighting the Dendrobium or something. :allears:

Also 'Screaming Skull Of Destruction' is still a pretty cool chest cannon.

That's a whole new level of Gunpla modeling, spending about a month's rent on 2 models. I really can't get over how goddamn huge the thing is. The only thing that's more mindblowing than the size is how big the box is going to be. :magical:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

TARDISman posted:

That's a whole new level of Gunpla modeling, spending about a month's rent on 2 models. I really can't get over how goddamn huge the thing is. The only thing that's more mindblowing than the size is how big the box is going to be. :magical:

What's amazing to me is how if this was 40K that would easily cost 2-3x as much e.g. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/MARS-PATTERN-REAVER-TITAN-BODY-ONLY.html) costing ~700 dollars.

Also, just wanted to chime in and say, gently caress the stickers on the Build Strike Full Package. This might be my last HG because I'm tired of stickers.

EDIT: You might be able to tell I'm still sour from my 40k days.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 22, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Neo Zeong is kind of interesting to me because as far as I can tell it's Bandai taking a good old-fashioned risk. A relatively safe risk, of course, since Neo Zeong is the suit of the main villain of a wildly popular show that is about to have its finale, but still a risk. If it does well I'm hopeful this'll start a new precedent and we see more oddball kits.

It's probably going to crash horribly though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've been cutting back on my kit stockpiling (he says, as he opens the box of the Kotobukiya Levatein) but I'll probably grab it for the balls out insanity of the thing.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Midjack posted:

I've been cutting back on my kit stockpiling (he says, as he opens the box of the Kotobukiya Levatein) but I'll probably grab it for the balls out insanity of the thing.

The full size one is out? Where did you get it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

HLJ has it in stock. Amazon and some other places claim it's not coming out until september, don't know what the deal with that is.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So this happened to one of the joints when I was assembling the RG GP01:

It can still sort of work but that part near the foot will flop around. Not sure if I can glue it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Your only real choice is to weld that back on. Most parts order services will not allow you to order individual pieces from an RG's inner frame.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Your only real choice is to weld that back on. Most parts order services will not allow you to order individual pieces from an RG's inner frame.
I don't have anything to weld it with and I've never done it before, so I'm probably hosed.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
Hey I was interested in getting a Nineball model. Does anyone know if the Armored Core models are any good?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Zeether posted:

I don't have anything to weld it with and I've never done it before, so I'm probably hosed.

Just order some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. Or Tamiya Regular Cement if you're comfortable working with brushes. It's very easy to use, don't stress out.

TheBigTwo posted:

Hey I was interested in getting a Nineball model. Does anyone know if the Armored Core models are any good?

They're as solid as any other Kotobukiya model as far as I know. Biggest hassle you'll have is finding one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheBigTwo posted:

I've put a couple together. They're pretty good; coming in between a HG and MG in complexity and separation. They will definitely need painting to look good.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'll probably just assemble the rest of the GP01 with the inner frame of the leg exposed or something and call it battle damage. :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They did a loving killer job on the MG ball's ejection pin marks. there's like two really bad ones and they're REALLY BAD but all the others are hidden and fine and easy to remove if you feel necessary. This is a cool kit

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

HLJ.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

unpurposed posted:

What's amazing to me is how if this was 40K that would easily cost 2-3x as much e.g. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Titans/MARS-PATTERN-REAVER-TITAN-BODY-ONLY.html) costing ~700 dollars.

EDIT: You might be able to tell I'm still sour from my 40k days.
That's a silly comparison. Neo Zeon is twice the height of that titan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm thinking about getting a Red Frame and custom painting it with chrome gold to resemble the Knight of Gold from FSS, would you guys recommend doing a candy coat with clear yellow (and what yellow would you recommend) or is there a really good metallic gold paint I could use instead?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Zeether posted:

So this happened to one of the joints when I was assembling the RG GP01:

It can still sort of work but that part near the foot will flop around. Not sure if I can glue it.

This is quite fixable but needs to be done carefully. Do the following:

- close-up eyeball the pieces and find the orientation that "fits." Use the molding seam as a guide. Mark the upward-facing side of the broken bit with something so you'll know it at a glance.

– A drop of thin liquid cement on the base of the broken-off piece and a drop on the spot it broke from should be sufficient. Let the parts sit for 10-15 seconds so the cement has some chance to work, and then carefully fit the pieces together, again using the molding seams and your orientation mark as guides (a pair of cheap reading glasses may help with things like this). Once you are sure you have it right, press it in there just firmly enough that the pieces bond, and then let the weld cure. If the bond seems weak, one more drop applied carefully to the base of the join shouldn't hurt anything, though generally more cement = longer cure time.

– let it cure for a LONG TIME. Impatience does not mix well with repairs like these. A week is not too long. After it's cured you'll want to avoid putting any undue stress on the weld, so be mindful when you pop the toe back on and always take care afterwards to treat that joint gently.

As a footnote, never use super glue for this sort of thing, it's not suited for the task in any way .

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mr. stefan posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Red Frame and custom painting it with chrome gold to resemble the Knight of Gold from FSS, would you guys recommend doing a candy coat with clear yellow (and what yellow would you recommend) or is there a really good metallic gold paint I could use instead?

Vallejo Liquid Gold is pretty much the best gold paint ever. It takes special steps to work with it, but its so worth it if you are willing.
Black primer, gold then heavy gloss coats will get some really smooth gold

not mine, airbrush with no gloss

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 23, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The only problem I've got with this ball kit so far (no bad seam lines, even on the cylindrical arm bases) is the "sleeves" at the base of the arms being polycaps. Whatever, it'll decay over time and I can't really paint it, but it looks fine.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

would you guys recommend doing a candy coat with clear yellow (and what yellow would you recommend) or is there a really good metallic gold paint I could use instead?

You candy coat when you don't have access to metallic. If you want absolute quality, Alclad's gold is the best you'll find. Testor's metallic gold is also very solid. You can try some acrylic gold if you want, but generally metallics don't come out too great with that paint type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Fauxtool posted:

Vallejo Liquid Gold is pretty much the best gold paint ever. It takes special steps to work with it, but its so worth it if you are willing.
Black primer, gold then heavy gloss coats will get some really smooth gold

Is this the one you mean?. How airbrush friendly is it? I'm hoping to get a really shiny chrome gold look.

• Locked thread