Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Turns out, Judge Judy and the like are actually binding arbitrations. I had always wondered.

Fun fact:

2. The people are real -- but they don't have to pay.

In general, "Judge Judy" and other TV judge shows handle cases that would otherwise be heard in small-claims court. That limits the amount of money at issue in a dispute; for "Judge Judy" litigants, the maximum award is $5,000, according to eHow.com.

Regardless of the outcomes on "Judge Judy," both parties to a case emerge as winners. That's because the show pays for the arbitration award, along with the litigants' airfare and hotel expenses. For most "Judge Judy" litigants, that adds up to a free trip to Los Angeles.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_justice/2012/01/is-judge-judy-a-real-court-top-3-secrets-of-tv-judge-shows.html

although, the dude cites to an ehow.com article, so take it for what its worth.
This is how court shows have been run since the OG People's Court.

Though, I think the winner got paid more than the loser in the OG People's Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, the fine print in the credits at the end of these shows always mentions that the award is paid for by the show. It has to be a big part of the reason why people with an obviously losing argument who are going to be mocked and yelled at by the judge still agree to show up. (It's a good deal for successful plaintiffs too, of course, since it means someone who's guaranteed to actually have money is on the hook for what they're owed.)

Thanatosian posted:

This is how court shows have been run since the OG People's Court.

Though, I think the winner got paid more than the loser in the OG People's Court.

You're right; The People's Court specifically mentions that the award comes out of the loser's share of whatever they're getting paid. (I swear I'm not some kind of obsessive fan of courtroom reality TV, I'm just a fast reader.)

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 22, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I thought all those shows operated that way, where the award comes out of the loser's check.

The best of those shows was Texas Justice, mind you. I wish that was still on.

quickly
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks, Andy Dufresne and jassi007. I removed the unprotected accounts and took the other precautions mentioned.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
I may be about to sign an agreement that has the following language

"b2n owns or controls the rights necessary to enter into this agreement"
"the data are original with b2n and/or legally licensed by b2n"

The language makes me nervous because all I have is permission, given by eMail, to use the data (from a third party). Does permission_given_by_eMail really count as "legally licensed"?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
If there's money on the line, hire a lawyer. People here won't be able to give you an answer that you want to rely upon.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Alaemon posted:

Judge Judy drives me crazy by her scattershot application of hearsay, though. She gets super cranky any time she's presented with an out-of-court statement (usually even if it might not be offered for the truth of the matter asserted). If parties even try, she shouts them down on hearsay.

But then she's almost always willing to read police reports. That really grinds my gears for some reason.

Police reports are hearsay but in most states, if they're certified, they're admissible as a hearsay exception.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Any advice on how to research what criminal law may have been violated by a residential contractor abandoning a project in Rhode Island?

My family member consulted a lawyer who suggested that the best way forward is putting any evidence together with any relevant criminal law and presenting that to the police and proceeding on that basis. Unfortunately, my family member is unable to afford a lawyer at this time and we are doing this ourselves.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

The current strategy involves a pot of coffee and reading a whole lot of state law. Is there a faster way? Like a database of judgements or something somewhere where I can find analogous cases replete with enumeration of violated laws or something?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 22, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Accretionist posted:

Any advice on how to research what criminal law may have been violated by a residential contractor abandoning a project in Rhode Island?

My family member consulted a lawyer who suggested that the best way forward is putting any evidence together with any relevant criminal law and presenting that to the police and proceeding on that basis. Unfortunately, my family member is unable to afford a lawyer at this time and we are doing this ourselves.

The current strategy involves a pot of coffee and reading a whole lot of state law. Is there a faster way? Like a database of judgements or something somewhere where I can find analogous cases replete with enumeration of violated laws or something?

If all else fails, there is a reality show for you: http://www.catchacontractor.com/CatchAContractor/Apply_Now.html

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Accretionist posted:

There is probably a state agency regulating contractors. Speak with that agency about lodging a complaint and finding out what your options are.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm skeptical that a contractor abandoning a project amounts to a crime, though it's possible there could be some minor fines since it's a residence. I doubt the police would be interested in a construction dispute unless there's something more to the story.

That would typically be handled with an action for breach of contract, but good luck suing a fly-by-night residential contractor. Small claims court may be an option, but if it's a substantial problem, you should speak with a lawyer.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 23, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I don't want to post too much information, but the job is fully paid up and he has made some amusingly self-incriminating statements (in writing :toot:) as to why the money can't be refunded.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

the milk machine posted:

I'm skeptical that a contractor abandoning a project amounts to a crime, though it's possible there could be some minor fines since it's a residence. I doubt the police would be interested in a construction dispute unless there's something more to the story.

That would typically be handled with an action for breach of contract, but good luck suing a fly-by-night residential contractor. Small claims court may be an option, but if it's a substantial problem, you should speak with a lawyer.

My understanding of contractors is that it is a violation of their contract, and they can be taken to court for that. If the contractor belongs to some sort of professional body eg. Master Builders guild or equivalent, it might help to inform them.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
That's true, but that doesn't mean that a crime has been committed. The police won't do anything about a civil dispute.

Accretionist posted:

I don't want to post too much information, but the job is fully paid up and he has made some amusingly self-incriminating statements (in writing :toot:) as to why the money can't be refunded.

If he's been paid in full and then abandoned the project, you will need a lawyer to have any hope of recovering anything. Depending on your state, small claims court may be an option, but if we're talking about a significant amount of money, you need a lawyer.

For future reference, never pay a contractor in full before the job is complete. This is true all the way from residential work to skyscrapers and power plants.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 23, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

the milk machine posted:

For future reference, never pay a contractor in full before the job is complete.

Yeah, I reviewed the contract this morning and the payment schedule was by date rather than anything at all to do with progress. Good lesson right there: Don't do that.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CaptainScraps posted:

Police reports are hearsay but in most states, if they're certified, they're admissible as a hearsay exception.

I know, but she doesn't say it so I KNOW that it's certified and qualifies as an exception. It's like she doesn't even care about building a record!

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
I've got a question about harassment and restraining orders in NY. I'll try to keep it as brief and E/N free as possible.

I have a family member who's been estranged from the rest of my family for the last decade or so. A couple of months back they resurfaced, and they've been sending me tons of emails trying to get me to reconcile with them. They aren't threatening, just very passive aggressive -- there are family court records involving me and this person, though.

What are my options for getting them to go away and leave me alone?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Funambulist posted:

What are my options for getting them to go away and leave me alone?
You can make a rule on your mail client to delete their email maybe? That seems way easier than getting any sort of court or police involved.

I'm not a lawyer though, just an IT guy.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, I set up a gmail filter to catch anything from their email address. It only archives their email in a special folder, because they've got a history of making false accusations on people to harass them. So I want a paper trail.

Lately, though, the emails have been getting a lot more frequent, and honestly a little creepy. "I'm praying you'll come to your senses and realize I've only ever wanted the best for you", "I love you so much, I have always loved you, let's take a vacation to Italy" type of stuff that makes me feel really uncomfortable. I'm thinking I should probably definitely call up a family lawyer on Monday.

Funambulist fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 23, 2014

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
-

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 22, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Depends on what you think the outcome in US v Auernheimer ought to be - after all, he just guessed a passcode too.

Seriously, this is sort of an open question in case law right now, so it's not a simple answer, and since it pertains to you personally, you need to get a lawyer who is your lawyer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did your phone have gold fringes?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

DEA posted:

Question in California.

Is an officer permitted to search through a locked phone after arrest for evidence? I had that lovely pattern lock that sorta revealed itself through repeated smudges. The officer guessed my lock correctly and began to rummage through my texts asking me about its contents. The officer even had the audacity to concernedly ask why I had an ACLU app on my phone and what it was for (weird question to ask?) I said three clear times that he did not have my permission to reverse engineer my password as it was locked for a reason. He told me not to tell him how to do his job. Was he correct? My logic is somewhat influenced by Ontario's ruling (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02/20/phones-search-cops-password-ontario-court_n_2729585.html), despite it being an entirely different country making it near irrelevant I was wondering if there are some overlaps existing despite California's horrendous mobile privacy laws -- is searching through a locked phone without a warrant different then searching an unlocked phone?

poo poo that happens in Ontario, Canada, has very little bearing on the California, United States, legal system.

Just saying.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Funambulist posted:

Yeah, I set up a gmail filter to catch anything from their email address. It only archives their email in a special folder, because they've got a history of making false accusations on people to harass them. So I want a paper trail.

Lately, though, the emails have been getting a lot more frequent, and honestly a little creepy. "I'm praying you'll come to your senses and realize I've only ever wanted the best for you", "I love you so much, I have always loved you, let's take a vacation to Italy" type of stuff that makes me feel really uncomfortable. I'm thinking I should probably definitely call up a family lawyer on Monday.

family law is only one of my office areas, and not a large one, but i can't see you getting a restraining order or anything based off those comments. She'd need to be violating a prior "no contact, ever" order in my opinion.

Contacting a lawyer is a good idea, just be careful before you spend thousands on a lawyer on this.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A landlord enters a tenant's apartment and finds what he believes to be illegal drugs. If the landlord contacts the police, can he give them permission to search the apartment if the tenant isn't notified or denies permission? Does the landlord's word constitute probable cause, allowing the police to search without permission or a warrant? Does it matter if the landlord's initial entry into the apartment violated landlord-tenant law? State is KS if it matters.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

family law is only one of my office areas, and not a large one, but i can't see you getting a restraining order or anything based off those comments. She'd need to be violating a prior "no contact, ever" order in my opinion.

Contacting a lawyer is a good idea, just be careful before you spend thousands on a lawyer on this.

Alright, is it at all possible to get one of those? For more info, this is a parent who lost custody of me for violent and erratic behavior, plus lying to authorities. I have to imagine that would be taken into consideration.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Funambulist posted:

Alright, is it at all possible to get one of those? For more info, this is a parent who lost custody of me for violent and erratic behavior, plus lying to authorities. I have to imagine that would be taken into consideration.

In my opinion and in my jurisdiction, no. It's annoying, and I'm sure it's upsetting, but if you're over 18, it's probably not bad enough to get a court order. If you came into my office, I'd sympathize but I wouldn't take your money. Find a lawyer who gives a free or cheap consultation in your area. Good luck, for real.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In my opinion and in my jurisdiction, no. It's annoying, and I'm sure it's upsetting, but if you're over 18, it's probably not bad enough to get a court order. If you came into my office, I'd sympathize but I wouldn't take your money. Find a lawyer who gives a free or cheap consultation in your area. Good luck, for real.

Yeah, my gut feeling's been that that is what I needed to do all along. I'd like some sort of big official leave-me-the-hell-alone notice, but if I can't get that, I'll live. It's annoying and makes me kinda uncomfortable, but she can't really do anything to me. Thanks! :)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can probably find a suitably scary but legally weightless "leave me the gently caress alone"/C&D form letter somewhere.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

It might be best not to engage and just ignore them, however. A scary letter won't do anything legally, but it might piss them off and make them feel their obsession towards you is justified, leading them to escalate.

I'd set my email rules to delete anything from them and screen my calls, they should leave you alone in six weeks or so.

Wophugus
Mar 23, 2014

Super stark shouter shorting super sharp stocks.

Konstantin posted:

A landlord enters a tenant's apartment and finds what he believes to be illegal drugs. If the landlord contacts the police, can he give them permission to search the apartment if the tenant isn't notified or denies permission? Does the landlord's word constitute probable cause, allowing the police to search without permission or a warrant? Does it matter if the landlord's initial entry into the apartment violated landlord-tenant law? State is KS if it matters.

I don't think so. The Supreme Court ruled in Chapman v. United States that a landlord generally can't give cops permission to search a home. However, the landlord's word probably is good enough for probable cause, and other circumstances might have made the entry legal. For example, if the cops had reason to think the drugs might be moved or destroyed before they could get a warrant.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, for probable cause purposes, if an informant obtained his information illegally (unless he was working for or with the cops when he illegally obtained the information, which doesn't seem to be the case here).

I'm not licensed in KS and am not a defense attorney, so don't take my word for any of this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I'm moving out of my Michigan apartment in May. My lease ends on the 16th. The office wants me to pay for the full month up front, and then they would pay me back once I have moved out, minus the pro-rated rent. I've never had an apartment ask to do this, and it seems fishy. Frankly, I'm worried it'd become a second security deposit that I'd have to fight to get back.

Can they legally demand that I overpay my rent?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dienes posted:

I'm moving out of my Michigan apartment in May. My lease ends on the 16th. The office wants me to pay for the full month up front, and then they would pay me back once I have moved out, minus the pro-rated rent. I've never had an apartment ask to do this, and it seems fishy. Frankly, I'm worried it'd become a second security deposit that I'd have to fight to get back.

Can they legally demand that I overpay my rent?

IANAL but I doubt they can.
But, check your tenancy contract and see what it says.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

There is probably a state agency regulating contractors. Speak with that agency about lodging a complaint and finding out what your options are.

the milk machine posted:

IANAL, however if the contractor is licensed and bonded, the state may be holding a bond for him you can file a claim against, possibly without even needing to go through court. You should get in touch with the state agency responsible for licensing ASAP to find out how to do it, if that is the case.

Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

The blood of Palestinian children keeps my engine running smooth.
deleted

Netanyahu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 1, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Netanyahu posted:

I am under 21, got arrested under for DUI and in the process of contacting a lawyer and obtaining a police report etc. I did a breathalyzer and asked for blood test (though I don't know if the latter was mistake.) One question, the officer on scene alleged I blew "twice the legal limit" - I don't know if he means .2 (since I am under 21) or .16.

The charge I got was 23152(A) VC - does that indicate to me what I blew?

This can vary a lot depending on the particulars, were you driving a boat?

edit: to be mildly helpful:

quote:

The charge of driving under the influence (DUI) is typically composed of two crimes: Vehicle Code § 23152(a) and Vehicle Code § 23152(b).The difference between the two DUI charges is that Vehicle Code § 23152(b) is the "per se" charge, (meaning it is violated if the person is over 0.08% regardless of whether you were impaired or not), and Vehicle Code § 23152(a) can be violated even if you are below the limit established by the "per se" charge, (meaning that you can be charged with the crime of DUI even if you were below 0.08% at the time of driving).

you can get A if you're impaired but not over 0.08, and you can get B if you're over 0.08 but not impaired.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 24, 2014

Netanyahu
Nov 20, 2013

The blood of Palestinian children keeps my engine running smooth.
deleted

Netanyahu fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 1, 2014

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Netanyahu posted:

I am not sure I understand, a car. I ask because the same offense with a (b) appended seems to mean a BAC of .08% but (a) is under but I am not entirely sure.

(A) is the charge that applies whether your BAC was over the legal limit or not--i.e the police will allege you were impaired regardless of your BAC. They will need to prove you were too impaired to drive and BAC is one piece of evidence.

(B) is the charge they can bring regardless of impairment. If you blow over .08, you are in violation of the law regardless of your arguments that you were OK to drive.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Idle curiosity here.

Say someone wrote a check for a certain amount, call it $100, at a point when they had enough money in their account. However, they suck at balancing a checkbook because this isn't the 1950's anymore, and the check overdrafts the account. The person deposits money in the account and makes sure the bill is properly paid as soon as they notice the discrepancy.

Has anything other than stupidity on the part of the checkwriter occurred?

Assume Massachusetts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Duckboat posted:

Idle curiosity here.

Say someone wrote a check for a certain amount, call it $100, at a point when they had enough money in their account. However, they suck at balancing a checkbook because this isn't the 1950's anymore, and the check overdrafts the account. The person deposits money in the account and makes sure the bill is properly paid as soon as they notice the discrepancy.

Has anything other than stupidity on the part of the checkwriter occurred?

Assume Massachusetts.

You're hosed