Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

emotive posted:

Hmm, I'll try that. I never simmer it or anything, I just mix it and dump it into the stir fry and let it cook for a couple minutes. Maybe that's my problem haha.

I never simmer my stirfry. If you look at the Chinese/asian cooking thread the secret to wok cooking is insanely high heats. Even if you don't have a wok, it still translates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

emotive posted:

Hmm, I'll try that. I never simmer it or anything, I just mix it and dump it into the stir fry and let it cook for a couple minutes. Maybe that's my problem haha.

I've always thought the sauce goes in at the end, because otherwise the heat would char the sugars in the sauce.

It sounded like he was suggesting you create at a separate time the sauce, then store it and use it when you actually make a stirfry meal.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Scientastic posted:

Pat your steaks dry and season with salt, oil the pan, get it superhot, whack the steaks in, fry for 1m, ignore the amount of smoke, turn the steaks over, 1m that side. Serve. Ignore anyone who says that they need time in the oven to cook through or anything like that.

Sounds good to me. I'll report back in a few days. Thanks.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
I'm interested in turning some chicken thighs into a big mess of shredded buffalo chicken to put in/on everything while I'm at work. The recipes I've looked at online are all 1 bottle of Frank's and some chicken in a crockpot for several hours then stirring in a couple tablespoonfuls of butter. I didn't think this would be rocket science but it can't be that easy. Has anyone tried this and does anyone have any tips?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nope, that's really it. Buffalo sauce = Franks + some butter.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

emotive posted:

Mine tend to suck too, so I've taken to following some recipes for a while until I get a better handle on it. Here's the breakdown for this one:
2 tbsp minced ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cider vinegar (recipe actually called for wine, but I didn't have any)
2 tsp sesame oil (forgot this in my list above)
1 pod star anise
2 tsp sriracha (hot sauce)
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch

Credit where it's due, the recipe comes from this cookbook, from one of my favourite restaurants back in Victoria, BC.

Drifter posted:

It sounded like he was suggesting you create at a separate time the sauce, then store it and use it when you actually make a stirfry meal.

I was, yes. The sauce can be made well in advance and should keep for a few days in the fridge

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I was tempted into a loaf of spelt bread with walnuts at the farmers' market the other day, and it's so crusty that, between being all crust and being old, the heel is pretty much inedible. I'm against throwing away food on general principle, so I thought it might be fun to make croutons, but I'm not sure if I should vary the recipe relative to normal bread. Any thoughts?

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 21, 2014

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I am getting married in about a year. What kind of pot/pan set should I be looking to add to my registry? What material is the best?

I am thinking of a set, should it be stainless steel, anodized aluminum, enamel cast iron, or something else?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I am getting married in about a year. What kind of pot/pan set should I be looking to add to my registry? What material is the best?

I am thinking of a set, should it be stainless steel, anodized aluminum, enamel cast iron, or something else?

They all have different uses and depending on your personal experience, you may have preferences.

If you have a lot of room in your kitchen there's nothing wrong with getting a good mix of everything. Read the pots/pans section of the minimum viable kitchen to get an idea of what you might need.

I don't really agree with his line about not recommending non-stick pans, you really want one or two IMO. They're great for things like eggs and a requirement if you have a spouse who cooks, but isn't really great. You don't want to wake up to your husband scraping a stainless pain clean because he doesn't know how to use it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Bob Morales posted:

They all have different uses and depending on your personal experience, you may have preferences.

If you have a lot of room in your kitchen there's nothing wrong with getting a good mix of everything. Read the pots/pans section of the minimum viable kitchen to get an idea of what you might need.

I don't really agree with his line about not recommending non-stick pans, you really want one or two IMO. They're great for things like eggs and a requirement if you have a spouse who cooks, but isn't really great. You don't want to wake up to your husband scraping a stainless pain clean because he doesn't know how to use it.

Just get cast iron. Still non-stick, drat near indestructible, can't maybe give you cancer, and way cheaper.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Is putting bits of hard boiled egg whites in cream of potato soup a thing? Local place did their this way today, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't ever recall that being a thing for cream of potato.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I want to make this: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_provencal

But was wondering if I could replace the anchovy filet with some fish sauce instead?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Rurutia posted:

I want to make this: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_provencal

But was wondering if I could replace the anchovy filet with some fish sauce instead?

can you get a different kind of smallfish? a couple sardines or something would work too. fish sauce would totally be okay, but something that is not fermented would probably be better.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

can you get a different kind of smallfish? a couple sardines or something would work too. fish sauce would totally be okay, but something that is not fermented would probably be better.

Fair enough. I can get anchovies, I'm just trying to be lazy and no have to go to the store.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Orgophlax posted:

Is putting bits of hard boiled egg whites in cream of potato soup a thing? Local place did their this way today, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't ever recall that being a thing for cream of potato.

Sounds like a Russian thing. Was there a lot of dill in the soup as well?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

You don't want to wake up to your husband scraping a stainless pain clean because he doesn't know how to use it.

I'm super curious about this, because it makes me think I've been using my stainless steel pans wrong. I typically scrub the poo poo out of them when I have to and use a decent amount of oil to make sure things don't stick when I saute. I have a set of stainless T-fal pots & pans with the heavy something-cored bottom. (Aluminum-core, maybe?) Please tell me I'm not using them crazy-wrong?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm making tacos, got some pork short ribs. What can I do with the meat, besides carnitas? Wanna try something new :kimchi:

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounds like a Russian thing. Was there a lot of dill in the soup as well?

Nope. Done the normal way they usually do it, just with cut bits of hard boiled egg whites.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

M42 posted:

I'm making tacos, got some pork short ribs. What can I do with the meat, besides carnitas? Wanna try something new :kimchi:
Dump a can of chipotles with the sauce on them and cook them.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm super curious about this, because it makes me think I've been using my stainless steel pans wrong. I typically scrub the poo poo out of them when I have to and use a decent amount of oil to make sure things don't stick when I saute. I have a set of stainless T-fal pots & pans with the heavy something-cored bottom. (Aluminum-core, maybe?) Please tell me I'm not using them crazy-wrong?

I've just seen my ex get out a stainless pan, I ask what she's doing, then it just sticks like glue because she didn't realize you can't use them like a non-stick. I sauted some shrimp in stainless pan last night and it basically came clean with just a quick hit with a scrubby pad, nothing really stuck (of course I used oil/butter).

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
I bought a 6qt KitchenAid stainless steel stockpot last week for homemade broths and reductions. I got some Bar Keepers Friend to clean any deep stains off it and it works well when applied in minimal amounts to other cookware (e.g. the Giada 4qt tri-ply saute pan I got on clearance because they were out of better ones and I really needed a nicer saute pan than my bottom-barrel non-stick), but is there a specific type of rag/sponge I should be using to avoid damaging the pot?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

emotive posted:

Good basic stirfry sauce recipe, go! Every time I whip something together it sucks.

Rice Wine Pepper Beef Noodles is my go to guy for an essentially idiot-proof and opposite-of-bland stir fry. Seriously, it'd be very difficult to gently caress this up. Also, very saucy (go with rice if you don't feel the noodles). Works with pretty much any other meat/meat substitute too.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Should I be using vegetable oil instead of olive for cooking steak because of the higher smoke point?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes, if you use oil at all. I just render out some of the fat from one side of the steak like if, for instance, I'm doing a sirloin. (I'm forever doing sirloins.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Cooking goons, as part of an effort to teach myself how to cook, I ended up buying a shitload of white rice. Please give me some suggestions on a simple recipe I can use.

So I asked this a while ago, but I never followed up on the follow-up questions from goons, which gives you an idea of how often I visit GWS. (It isn't very often :ssh:). I bring this up because I went ahead and cooked the rice again tonight. I'll get to that later.

dino. posted:

Rice doesn't really tell us much. Is it sushi rice? Basmati? Grocery store long grain? What did you buy?

It's grocery store long grain. What are the differences between the types?

Drifter posted:

How new are you to cooking? Are you consistent in your cooking outcomes (is rice always nice and fluffy/proper, can you scramble eggs correctly?).

which means technique and getting used to moving around the kitchen. No matter what you do, I'd recommend always setting aside a space on your counter to create the mis en place, don't keep running back and forth scrounging and scavenging for the next ingredient.

I've made this quiche, and it's super easy and tasty. You can substitute a shitton of stuff for the filling, but start out simple.
http://scandifoodie.blogspot.com/2010/09/rice-crusted-vegetable-quiche.html

This is an easy rice gratin and the things I've made that are similar to this have been delicious.
http://www.canadianliving.com/health/__get_enough_milk_products_every_day/roast_chicken_and_rice_gratin_with_apples.php

You could also make a delicious soup of lemon, chicken, spinach and rice (instead of lentils).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post425752447

edit: actually, I kinda love this entire site. Here's their collection of rice recipe stuff.
http://www.thespicespoon.com/blog/category/recipes/rice/

I am relatively new to cooking. I had a cooking class in 7th grade, but that's about it until now, aside from the (very) occasional dessert I help out with. So yeah, I doubt that I'm consistent in cooking outcomes. Certainly, tonights attempt at rice went better than the first attempt I made.

First time I tried to make something with the rice I had, I followed the instructions that were on the back of the bag the rice came in. It probably would have gone alright had I not made two major mistakes.

1. I decided it was a good idea to cook the rice in a pan, rather than a pot.

2. I found that, however delicious it may be on brown rice, garlic salt tastes really bad on white rice :cry:

Thanks to my pan/pot mix-up, when I finished the rice, it was in a weird half-cooked state that only revealed itself when I actually sat down to taste it. It started out soft like it should be, but ended up in a sort of solid, grainy form as I chewed on it more :barf:

For this attempt, I used PatMarshall's basic recipe (which was nearly identical to the bag's, but a bit clearer in wording. Also, the bag never mentioned washing the rice, which I did this time):

PatMarshall posted:

Rinse thoroughly (I put my rice in a bowl, add cold water, agitate, then carefully drain off the water, don't worry about getting every drop out. Repeat about 3 times). Add to a covered pot with 1.5 times water as rice (so for 1 cup of rice, use 1.5 cups of water). Note that different rice varieties need different amounts of water, but 1.5/1 works pretty well for the basmati or calrose I usually use. Salt. Drizzle some oil if you want, I'm not sure this does anything though. Cover, bring to a boil, cut the heat to low and steam for 10-15 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed. take off the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Don't touch the lid at any point. After 5 minutes, uncover and fluff gently with a fork, being careful not to mash the grains.

Since I live with my family, I decided to go for 2 cups of rice this time around. (I did one cup on the previous attempt, since no-one was around at the time.) Good thing family was around this time, since I nearly ended up trying to cook the rice with 2 cups of water instead. Threw in a bit of regular iodized salt this time, put it in a pot with a cover, and left it for 10 minutes to cook on low. (Which reminds me, I don't really know the proper technique for boiling something. Here, I cranked the temperature to high for 10-20 seconds, and then cranked it back down to the proper temperature. Advice on boiling things would be welcome). After cooking and letting things cool off, I lifted the pot cover...and found that nothing had evaporated; the drat pot looked the same as it did before :cry:. I figured the lid might have been a bit loose, so I recooked the rice, double checking the lid to make sure it was still on, leaving it to cook for 15 minutes at medium heat (The heat setting was accidental; I meant to keep it on low).

Much to my (pleased) shock, when I finished this time, the rice was cooked properly! :toot: And it tasted really good, too. Meant to take pictures during the process, but forgot. Oh well.

So, here's where I've been going with this long-rear end post. Since I've managed to prove to myself that I can cook rice without ruining it (albeit, without checking that I can do it consistently, something I'll remedy in the next week or so), I'd like a simple dish that I could cook alongside the rice. (Other than Drifter's suggestions above, which I'll keep in mind for later). Any suggestions?

(I'd also like a bag of brown rice, so if anyone can point to a kind to buy/avoid, I'd appreciate that too).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

NuclearPotato posted:

So, here's where I've been going with this long-rear end post. Since I've managed to prove to myself that I can cook rice without ruining it (albeit, without checking that I can do it consistently, something I'll remedy in the next week or so), I'd like a simple dish that I could cook alongside the rice. (Other than Drifter's suggestions above, which I'll keep in mind for later). Any suggestions?
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Rice guy I don't wanna quote that entire post cause I'm on my phone but about the boiling part: when you say you turned it on high for "10-20 seconds" and down to low, did the water actually come to a boil? Or did you literally put water in the pot and turned the knob to high, counted to 20, and brought it down to low? Might be a silly question but I thought I'd ask...

E: something easy to go with rice would be some kind of vegetables or chicken, both are pretty simple. For vegetables the easiest thing to do is roast them: drizzle them in olive oil, salt, and put it on a sheet/pan/foil into the oven. You can bake chicken too for something hands off or fry them normally in a pan. When I started cooking I kept looking for specific recipes and got frustrated when things had 20 steps and 50 ingredients, but that's not the way to go. Your best friends are going to be salt, pepper, and oil. Instead of looking up "recipes" look up "how to cook [chicken/beans/etc]" instead. You can get the recipes in later.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 22, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tell me how I should you would cook these two massive turnips I have laying around over here.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I snagged 5lbs of really meaty beef shanks at the farmers market on a whim. I was thinking goulash, or maybe some kind of bourguignon knock off. Any other suggestions?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I feel like I remember there being a classic French cuisine thread a while back, anyone know if this was a thing, and if so is there a link?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

NuclearPotato posted:

I'd like a simple dish that I could cook alongside the rice. (Other than Drifter's suggestions above, which I'll keep in mind for later). Any suggestions?
I like lemon and garlic chicken because you can make it super easily and it's tasty. It was a staple of mine when I first started cooking for myself regularly.

You'll need some chicken (diced breasts are a good way to start out as you can tell more easily when they're cooked than with darker meat)
Some lemons (2?)/lemon juice if you can't get fresh lemons
Garlic
Olive oil
Black pepper

Grab a bag or some other receptacle in which to marinade the chicken.
Add the lemon juice and a splash of olive oil
Smash a couple of cloves of garlic (and I mean just bash them with the side of a knife, no need to slice them or anything) and add those
Add pepper
Add chicken
Leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes or so

Then heat up a pan to medium and dump the chicken, marinade and all, into it.
Cook 'til the chicken is white all the way through.

Then you're done! Serve that over some rice and congratulations, you just made a super easy, relatively healthy meal! Of course it's better if you have some sort of vegetable with it as well - I tend to go for green beans that have been steamed then fried off in some garlic and olive oil - but most vegetables go with something this simple so that's really up to you.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I found some tofu in my fridge with expiry date january 2014. Still edible or throw it away? I don't dare open it in case it's super-fermented. (the indian shop guy once told me to disregard the expiry date, that poo poo is good for another couple months)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

midnightclimax posted:

I found some tofu in my fridge with expiry date january 2014. Still edible or throw it away? I don't dare open it in case it's super-fermented. (the indian shop guy once told me to disregard the expiry date, that poo poo is good for another couple months)

Eat it unless it stinks or is bulging.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Breaky posted:

Tell me how I should you would cook these two massive turnips I have laying around over here.

You have to kinda let them go about 50% longer than any other vegetable, including potato. Roasting them can be good but I haven't quite mastered that yet. It's a hell of a lot easier to pressure cook the crap out of them to ensure you've gotten rid of all the bitterness and gotten them tender, then puree or turn into soup. Maybe start there?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Poach in butter, stock or wine, and some fresh herbs

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Breaky posted:

Chop em up small and fry them in oil, they're almost like french fries

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like to mix turnips in with mashed potatoes. I cut the nips up smaller than the potatoes, because I'm too lazy to parcook the turnips and then add the potatoes partway through.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What are some things to add to steel cut oats besides my standard dried cherries and dried currants?

And does anyone sell unsweetened dried currents, where they're still really tart? The bulk ones at Whole Foods are pretty darn sweet.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

regulargonzalez posted:

What are some things to add to steel cut oats besides my standard dried cherries and dried currants?

And does anyone sell unsweetened dried currents, where they're still really tart? The bulk ones at Whole Foods are pretty darn sweet.

Fruit preserves, fresh fruit, maple syrup...? Unless you mean while cooking, in which case I dunno.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Comic posted:

Fruit preserves, fresh fruit, maple syrup...? Unless you mean while cooking, in which case I dunno.

Well either way, just tired of my standard oatmeal and was wondering if there were any amazing Oatmeal LifeHacks I need to be aware of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
It's been a while since I've had nice cooked oatmeal, I normally take quick oats or old fashioned oats uncooked with yogurt and fruit preserves, like granola.

Steel cut you can't really do that with.