Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

tuyop posted:

What do you mean by magnifier? If you pinch, it zooms in on a line and tracks with your hand. Is that not a magnifier?

Notability's was much better though.

Yeah, you're right it is. Somehow zooming in on a page never seems to work right for me in that my writing is still chicken scratch. Something about having a preview pane above your magnifier helps me stay neat and in-line. A built-in wrist guard doesn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, you're right it is. Somehow zooming in on a page never seems to work right for me in that my writing is still chicken scratch. Something about having a preview pane above your magnifier helps me stay neat and in-line. A built-in wrist guard doesn't hurt either.

The skeumorphism on Noteshelf grinds my gears way too much to try it, though. And the Evernote integration is a huge plus for Penultimate. I just wish the pen was much finer or there was an option for those fountain pen type things that Noteshelf has.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure if this would be the place to ask, seeing as it's a built-in app.

Does anyone use the Videos app frequently? I watch videos from it while I'm work on dinner break. It seems at some point the app stopped respecting the stop time you can set in iTunes. Usually I set this so it skips the credits/footers at the end of a video, but now it just plays through to the end of the video file. I was just wondering if there was a setting I changed without knowing it, or a fix. For some reason, I can't find the right phrase to Google more information on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Today I got an email oh so politely informing me that the Ness app got bought by OpenTable, a company which in no way provides the same services that the Ness app did, and is being shut down.

Ness is basically a restaurant review and recommend app where you feed it information about what places you've eaten at that you like, and it spits out recommendations based on your past preferences and other people's reviews. It's great if you travel a bit and are in a city that you're unfamiliar with. It was great because it allowed you a fair bit of flexibility in your search criteria. Whatever their algorithm was it was pretty loving good at pointing me to places I'd like and was shockingly decent at recommending places that I might not be head-over-heels in love with but which matched some specific criteria enough (combination of geography, genre, and price) close enough that I'd at least find it good for one night of travel eating.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a similar app? I really loved the way that it tailored its suggestions based on my own ratings of various restaurants. I never saw anything else quite like it and right now I'm really hoping that's just because I missed something obvious. It was really great for finding good food on the road without investing more than about 30 seconds into scrolling through some local offerings to see what you felt like. :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Today I got an email oh so politely informing me that the Ness app got bought by OpenTable, a company which in no way provides the same services that the Ness app did, and is being shut down.

You say this like both don't offer restaurant ratings and reviews. Surely it sucks but I assume open table will be integrating their suggestions.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Dave posted:

You say this like both don't offer restaurant ratings and reviews. Surely it sucks but I assume open table will be integrating their suggestions.

THe open table app does user reviews, but it doesn't do the suggestions thing that's the whole point of why I liked the old app.

I'm admittedly pissed that an app I found useful got bought and shut down, that's why I'm asking if there's anything out there that does something similar. It wasn't just ratings and reviews, it was the quickly-generated and tailored suggestions that were the whole point of the app.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 21, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I totally get that but you acted like a sports scores app bought them or something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I suspect the functionality will appear in Opentable at some point.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

THe open table app does user reviews, but it doesn't do the suggestions thing that's the whole point of why I liked the old app.

I'm admittedly pissed that an app I found useful got bought and shut down, that's why I'm asking if there's anything out there that does something similar. It wasn't just ratings and reviews, it was the quickly-generated and tailored suggestions that were the whole point of the app.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think opentable bought them? Do you think it might have been for their recommendation engine?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Some point in the future isn't now, hence me asking for an app recommendation in the app thread.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Molten Llama posted:

They're not really comparable unless you only use 1Password with Safari.

I only use Safari (and 1Password).

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Hey guys, any good faxing apps? I don't have a fax machine and I want to fax some files.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks to whoever recommended the Loom app. It's really nice. The desktop version is pretty horrible though. Forcing you to log in all the time & making it impossible to download more than 1 photo (let alone a folder) at once. Wish there was a decent desktop client.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good to-do app that uses iCloud/syncs across multiple devices? My mum has been using Remember The Milk on her iPad but we got her an iPhone and it doesn't support multiple devices without a yearly subscription.

Are there any apps with similar functionality but with a one-off cost?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Something wrong with the stock Reminders app?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

Can anyone recommend a good to-do app that uses iCloud/syncs across multiple devices? My mum has been using Remember The Milk on her iPad but we got her an iPhone and it doesn't support multiple devices without a yearly subscription.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that Clear synchs across devices like you're describing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roomscan (free) is a pretty neat trick to do with phone sensors. I don't have a tape measure handy ATM but it manages to get the proportions right in the odd-shaped rooms that I tried in my office.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Reminders if you want a simple todo list, Wunderlist if you want a bit more control.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Fing is absolutely magical when troubleshooting occasionally.

Anyone else had their Evernote Channel on IFTTT start making GBS threads the bed for seemingly no reason?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has Evernote's offline behavior gotten better in the last few years? Last time I tried it it was basically useless without a network connection because it apparently didn't cache anything or didn't cache stuff correctly.

edit: I suppose I could just try it.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ghana rheya posted:

Anyone else had their Evernote Channel on IFTTT start making GBS threads the bed for seemingly no reason?

Yes. It keeps telling me it's disconnected but all my information is in there and correct.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Looking to replace the physical clock next to my bed - is there a good clock app that will keep the screen on rather than having to turn on the screen?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Lady Gaza posted:

Clear is the prettiest, simplest and nicest app for this, get it.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Clear looks great, thanks. She wanted a bit more functionality than the stock reminders app.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

withak posted:

Has Evernote's offline behavior gotten better in the last few years? Last time I tried it it was basically useless without a network connection because it apparently didn't cache anything or didn't cache stuff correctly.

edit: I suppose I could just try it.

Offline access to your data is a premium feature. For this reason alone I use simple note for most stuff now.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Clear looks great, thanks. She wanted a bit more functionality than the stock reminders app.

If it's what she wants, great, but moms tend not to care about fancy gestures and a beautiful design because an app like Clear takes some time to get used to.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Speaking of Evernote, I have this one recipe in my inbox my mother game me months ago. I want to get some kind of iOS recipe book, but also want to access it from a web browser. So while I use Evernote anyways, this rules it out since they oddly don't have a webpage access point for the stuff you would store in the application. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Speaking of Evernote, I have this one recipe in my inbox my mother game me months ago. I want to get some kind of iOS recipe book, but also want to access it from a web browser. So while I use Evernote anyways, this rules it out since they oddly don't have a webpage access point for the stuff you would store in the application. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

Try Evernote Food though it hasn't been very useful in my experience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

Try Evernote Food though it hasn't been very useful in my experience.

I said in my post that I don't want to use Evernote's solution, as there is no way to access the information on a website or outside of the app. Which is odd, you'd think they'd let you pull it up on their website as well, given how their note taking app works.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

Offline access to your data is a premium feature. For this reason alone I use simple note for most stuff now.

Yeah I've been using Simplenote since I found out that Evernote didn't work without a cell signal. It works perfectly so there isn't any reason to change.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I said in my post that I don't want to use Evernote's solution, as there is no way to access the information on a website or outside of the app. Which is odd, you'd think they'd let you pull it up on their website as well, given how their note taking app works.

I don't think I understand. Evernote food just pulls from one of your standard notebooks. That notebook is still available in the webapp.

Oh, you could check out paprika. Not sure if it has a webapp, though.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

I don't think I understand. Evernote food just pulls from one of your standard notebooks. That notebook is still available in the webapp.

Oh, you could check out paprika. Not sure if it has a webapp, though.

Nope, no web app. It does have a desktop app for OSX if that is also viable for you.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
As a new iOS user coming from a google edition HTC One, the App Store kinda annoys me. Is there any way to get a list view of search results or at least filter by price or rating? The "one app per page" thing is probably great for getting impulse app purchases (which is probably the point), but it's not so great for app discoverability.

Along the same lines, Apple doesn't do the whole 15 min refund thing like Google, right?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

Oh, Evernote didn't make any indication that this is how it worked. That's why I was confused. They made it sound like all the data was only in the app. I'll check it out soon then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leathal posted:

As a new iOS user coming from a google edition HTC One, the App Store kinda annoys me. Is there any way to get a list view of search results or at least filter by price or rating? The "one app per page" thing is probably great for getting impulse app purchases (which is probably the point), but it's not so great for app discoverability.

Along the same lines, Apple doesn't do the whole 15 min refund thing like Google, right?

No they do refunds for a maybe-unlimited amount of time though. I've gotten refunds like ten days after purchase if I find a better app or just didn't need one. I say exactly that in my refund request.

Use a different curation service like app shopper for your in depth searching needs. Check lifehacker, gizmodo, and pocket tactics or touch arcade for must haves and games.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ghana rheya posted:

Fing is absolutely magical when troubleshooting occasionally.

Renew your login. All Evernote permissions given to IfTTT have a time limit when granted, then you need to reauthorize.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone have a recommendation for an app to track books to read, movies to watch, games to play, etc? Ideally something I can add to quickly, that can sort by categories like those, and that can track these things by name, maybe picture, etc.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

teamdest posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app to track books to read, movies to watch, games to play, etc? Ideally something I can add to quickly, that can sort by categories like those, and that can track these things by name, maybe picture, etc.

https://donenotdone.com/welcome

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

teamdest posted:

I like Tastekid but it doesn't make todo lists for you. I just copy that stuff into Evernote, so it's not really what you're looking for. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I actually need some help with ifttt.

I'm trying to set it up so that it pulls the latest entry from an rss feed at the same time everyday then uses either pushbullet or push.co to notify me of the same feed on my phone. If it makes any difference, it updates daily but I don't know at what hour. I'm guessing this is possible, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

http://interglacial.com/rss/oblique_strategies.rss is the feed.

• Locked thread