Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I don't know poo poo about writing, but Benny's stories are loving boring. Which is weird, because when he writes about his daily life I'm really entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

natetimm posted:

The Mexican thing is Benny trying to inject his own personal culture into everything, but his experiences and life in general are so disconnected from what a "typical" Latino or Mexican or whatever would be experiencing it's ridiculous. Benny is a fat, spoiled white kid who happens to have Mexican ancestry, not a cultural touchstone of what it means to be Mexican in today's US. He has almost nothing to contribute perspective-wise from his cultural heritage because his entire life revolves around about the most vanilla type of media you can get your hands on.

Benny is George Zimmerman

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Aqua Bear posted:

... when he writes about his daily life I'm really entertained.

Yes!But he doesn't do anything!

i am he
Feb 4, 2014

Yad Rock posted:

Benny is George Zimmerman

and we are all trayvon martin

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

WerewolfBarMitzvah posted:

and we are all trayvon martin

That should be his next writing prompt for the Thunderdome.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ms. Happiness posted:

That should be his next writing prompt for the Thunderdome.

No, it should be "How To Sign Up For Healthcare At the ACA site: An Instructional"

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

DopeGhoti posted:

No, it should be "How To Sign Up For Healthcare At the ACA site: An Instructional"

Would it be counted as fanfic if you guys did a big group of stories about an unemployed manchild who didn't get healthcare and X happened (doesn't have to mention Benny)?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Scapegoat posted:

Would it be counted as fanfic if you guys did a big group of stories about an unemployed manchild who didn't get healthcare and X happened (doesn't have to mention Benny)?

This thread sucks when it gets creepy.

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
Benny, if you post here I will draw your OC.

Oh wait, wrong sad sack.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This thread sucks rocks when it gets creepy.

Because it shows that anyone can be a superstar with an overly fixated fanbase. Yay!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lolie posted:

What happened with last week's Target interview, Benny?

What are you talking about? The interview is tomorrow.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Perhaps Benny is in jail for trying to buy crack from a cop while applying for the drug kingpin job. This would be a good thing since it would show initiative and give him an opportunity to meet new and interesting people.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Quantum Finger posted:

Perhaps Benny is in jail for trying to buy crack from a cop while applying for the drug kingpin job. This would be a good thing since it would show initiative and give him an opportunity to meet new and interesting people.

No jail can hold el Serpiente, man!

Check breaking news for a desperate shopping cart chase across the Nevada border.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Guys I don't think he is coming back to this thread.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

flavor effigy posted:

Guys I don't think he is coming back to this thread.

Maybe he got the job and is too busy :pray:

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What are you talking about? The interview is tomorrow.

Close, it's actually tomorrow.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Why would he leave all of a sudden? It's not like everyone has been especially cruel lately? Hell, I came back after 4 separate posts about my terrible mother..

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

Pillowpants posted:

Why would he leave all of a sudden? It's not like everyone has been especially cruel lately? Hell, I came back after 4 separate posts about my terrible mother..

I assume it has to do with everyone finding out about the adult baby fetish.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Benny not posting here for sympathy is the smartest thing he's done in a year.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

crabrock posted:

Benny not posting here for sympathy is the smartest thing he's done in a year.
I agree with this. I do want to hear about the library bookstore volunteer position, though. On the 17th, he was awaiting a call from the library volunteer coordinator person about getting his fingerprints done. Wonder what will happen tomorrow!

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Uncle Salty posted:

I agree with this. I do want to hear about the library bookstore volunteer position, though. On the 17th, he was awaiting a call from the library volunteer coordinator person about getting his fingerprints done. Wonder what will happen tomorrow!

Nothing. Nothing will happen tomorrow.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Benny the Snake posted:

As for why I only applied to one booth over at the job fair it's because, well, I know I'm not fit to sell insurance. Selling insurance to me is a lot like selling used cars as I'd be working on a commission to sell people what they can't afford. I'm too honest to do so.
I was looking at the beginning of the thread when people were still optimistic and sympathetic, trying to figure out when things changed and found this.

So Benny, rethought this yet?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Also, I'm about 85% sure that you're not supposed to put a book back where you think it's supposed to be, if you see one lying around at the library. The actual, paid, trained/educated library staffers keep track of how many times a book is moved/touch/displaced, not just how many times someone checks it out. I don't remember the reason that this matters, but library staffers collect data on this. This is probably why you often see "Please don't re-shelve books" signs posted in the stacks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I worked in a bookstore for a while and the worst thing was when people would try to reshelve books, and do it wrong. If you leave it on a table, a staff member will find it and put it in the right place. If you stick it on the wrong shelf, there's no goddamn chance of ever finding it again. Not until the next time someone has time to re-alphabetize the shelves. Don't put things in the wrong places on bookshelves you fucks.

Also Benny, get healthcare

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I was looking at the beginning of the thread when people were still optimistic and sympathetic, trying to figure out when things changed and found this.

So Benny, rethought this yet?

Cliffnotes summary of Benny's statements about lying in this thread are a few pages back.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531379&pagenumber=117&perpage=40#post427001358

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Dear Benny,

Wow. Please get Healthcare.

Yours,

Fingerling.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Benny gives it his all. (Or at least his some. His maybe.)

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

hmmm no latinos, I'm not convinced he wrote this

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

The good news: No stereotypical Mexicans! No random killing of family!

The bad news: The structure was grating, especially the "Yours, Jason," "Yours, Lydia" stuff. I felt nothing for any of the characters. There was not much in the way of detail, and nobody said anything interesting.

It was a love/relationship story written by somebody who's never been in love or a relationship, and it showed.

Benny: Read "The Gum Thief" by Douglas Coupland. Like all Coupland, it has it's tin ear dialogue moments. However, it's an excellent epistolary novel. By the end, you actually care about the characters and what happens to them. I didn't get that here.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

It's hard to put my finger on what bothers me about this story (other than awkward prose). Maybe it just seems so predictable - you know exactly what's going to happen by the first couple of exchanges. Short-tempered guy turns out to be abusive rear end in a top hat, check. Water tensions on Mars turns into greater conflict that dude gets caught up in, check. One of the two realizes the other is their soulmate all along, check. There's no wrench in the gears to make the story go somewhere interesting - it's just a straight trajectory with straight characters telling their own story in a straight and shallow way. The characters should be much more introspective and thoughtful and detailed about what's going on, considering what they're supposed to mean to each other.

But, at least it isn't about Mexicans killing each other! Unless Jason was killed by a Mexican off-camera...

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

blackmet posted:

The good news: No stereotypical Mexicans! No random killing of family!

The bad news: The structure was grating, especially the "Yours, Jason," "Yours, Lydia" stuff. I felt nothing for any of the characters. There was not much in the way of detail, and nobody said anything interesting.

It was a love/relationship story written by somebody who's never been in love or a relationship, and it showed.

Benny: Read "The Gum Thief" by Douglas Coupland. Like all Coupland, it has it's tin ear dialogue moments. However, it's an excellent epistolary novel. By the end, you actually care about the characters and what happens to them. I didn't get that here.

Thanks for making a lot of the comments I wanted to make: I'm in this round so I don't feel comfortable criticizing people until my own story's up. (I need to finish neurotically making edits and just post it.)

EDIT: That goes for Fugue too. I'll throw at least one comment in -- if his characters wanted something (instead of just waiting for things to happen to them) I think it would help. I also think this is pretty fundamental advice that he should have picked up in school.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Hmmm, I didn't hate this. I don't like either Jason or Lydia. The two characters are either reciting the farm and war bulletin or talking about a boyfriend. The aspects of the story were clear, though. The pacing was good, for a beginning to a story. I would read a bit more, I think.

Benny will get good feedback from the real writers in Thunderdome, because it isn't offensively horrible.

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 24, 2014

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

blackmet posted:

The bad news: The structure was grating, especially the "Yours, Jason," "Yours, Lydia" stuff.

It jars for me because these communications are so brief. As a reader, I assume that they're brief for a reason (technological limits, expense, etc), so the structure seems at odds with the communication method.

I also don't think the characters have "a life of their own". In real life, people have different vocabularies, different syntax, different words they use often. Those differences are usually extremely noticeable when people are expressing themselves in writing but I really don't think Lydia and Jason have "voices" which are distinct enough (and separate enough from Benny's own voice).

I could see where Benny was trying to go with this, though, and he did fairly well at introducing key information in the first couple of sentences. Lydia isn't a credible character to me, but I think it takes work for any writer to master the challenge of developing characters whose life experiences are different from their own (in this case, a female character).

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

The problem is that it's extremely unimaginative and filled with clunky exposition. Why wouldn't Lydia already know that Mars isn't terraformed? It's also not a conversation, so why would you "Forget to say he's a Marine"? Why wouldn't you just go back and edit your letter? Why does Lydia suddenly love Sean - there's no emotional growth, but then all of a sudden she misses him so much?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

The problem is that it's extremely unimaginative and filled with clunky exposition. Why wouldn't Lydia already know that Mars isn't terraformed? It's also not a conversation, so why would you "Forget to say he's a Marine"? Why wouldn't you just go back and edit your letter? Why does Lydia suddenly love Sean - there's no emotional growth, but then all of a sudden she misses him so much?

This is kind of what I mean about Benny not getting inside the head of his characters. A real person would go back and edit (in a verbal conversation you might add the "forgot to say he was a marine" thing).

Their communications are evidently infrequent, so each one needs to bring important new information. Lydia doesn't express any deepening emotional concern for Jason's welfare throughout their exchanges, which makes her "I love you" stuff at the end far less credible. Girl gets treated badly by guy and realises she loved someone else only after he's likely dead - it sounds like something a "nice guy" would write.

Also, Lydia says at one point that she doesn't know how Jason got to Mars, but in the last letter she says "I wish you never boarded that shuttle for Mars." Jason doesn't clarify how he got to Mars in between those exchanges, so it's a continuity error.

There's also nothing in the exchanges until the last one which suggests anything beyond a friendship so "I think about those long summer days we spent together laying on the grass watching the clouds fly by" seems almost out of place (when did they do this - as kids, as adults). Nothing in the prior exchanges suggests that Lydia is someone who has been "left behind" and is trying to get on with her life while missing Jason. Nor is there any suggestion that Jason misses Lydia in the exchanges. The emotions he expresses are about the situation in which he finds himself on Mars.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 24, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Benny hasn't posted in his own thread for a week. This makes me sad.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm fairly sure it's because he already has healthcare and doesn't want to see a therapist.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

cname posted:

I'm fairly sure it's because he already has healthcare and doesn't want to see a therapist.

Would his parents plan definitely cover therapy?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Scapegoat posted:

Would his parents plan definitely cover therapy?

It doesn't matter. Therapy only works if you, y'know, give a poo poo about improving your situation and make an honest effort. I can't imagine Benny doing much else except nodding his head and wondering when he can go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Dex posted:

It doesn't matter. Therapy only works if you, y'know, give a poo poo about improving your situation and make an honest effort. I can't imagine Benny doing much else except nodding his head and wondering when he can go home.

Pretty much this + I'm sure it costs some miniscule amount of money that Benny can't/won't come up with. IE: If something he really wanted was the same price as the co-pay, he would likely find a way to get it.

• Locked thread