Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Mark Larson posted:

I hope this isn't a dead thread... anyway, I've been thinking of getting into the iOS scene but an iPhone 5 is too expensive. Is there a case for the iPod touch that can take a SIM card and provide data functionality over wifi or through the dock LightningŪ connector? If that case would also have GPS and a battery it would be perfect.

EDIT: Something not huge would be great.

FreedomPop has a case for fourth-gen iPod touches, but not the fifth-gen model. They also sell 3G/4G Wi-Fi hotspots.

http://www.freedompop.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah, that's pretty much the kind of thing I was thinking, but I am not in the States right now. I was hoping something similar to this but unbranded and for the 5G existed.

Also, do those mobile hotspots pass the GPS signal to the iPod?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Pucklynn posted:

Can you guys help me with this issue? I've had this problem for at least the last four months, maybe more. I've replaced the iPod entirely because I thought maybe it was just old and had been dropped too many times, but that didn't help. I've got the newest versions of both the iPod software and iTunes and I'm out of ideas. Here's my problem:

I have a brand new 160gb iPod Classic. I also have ~300 unplayed podcast episodes that I would like to listen to in chronological order, oldest first. I made a Smart Playlist with the following critera:

Media Kind: Podcast
Plays: 0
Artist is not "steve boyett"
Live Updating

There is nothing on this iPod except this playlist, the Purchased playlist, and the podcast episodes. I have the menu set up to display the "Playlists" option on the main menu. When I hover over it, the side pane says "2 Playlists". Clicking the button does nothing-- I can't access either of these playlists this way. If I go into "Music" and choose "Playlists" from there, it shows "No Playlists". If I plug the iPod into the USB port in my car, I'm able to find and use the playlist through my dashboard controls, but if I'm using the iPod by itself, I cannot access this playlist at all.

Do you have any solutions for this? It's very obnoxious to constantly have to catch the end of each podcast and click back twice in order to listen to the next newest episode.

So nobody knows anything about this?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think the ipod only sees podcasts in the podcasts app or folder. They don't show in regular playlists

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think the ipod only sees podcasts in the podcasts app or folder. They don't show in regular playlists

He said it was an iPod classic, so no ios.

Sorry, I can't help. I have a nano, but on the rare occasion I use a playlist (on-the-go, from time to time), it works fine.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?

Mark Larson posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the kind of thing I was thinking, but I am not in the States right now. I was hoping something similar to this but unbranded and for the 5G existed.

Also, do those mobile hotspots pass the GPS signal to the iPod?

Not so far as I know, no.

Is there a reason you need a SIM card and GPS? You mentioned data only over wifi, I would have thought a data plan was what you needed but I assume not. If you need to be able to use a phone there are plenty of VOIP apps available, some of them will even give you a real phone number (Pinger, Fongo in Canada, etc).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I don't need a phone number or ability to call, just mobile data. There are just too many apps that use location (coarse and fine) along with data, and they'd be hamstrung with no GPS.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

I don't need a phone number or ability to call, just mobile data. There are just too many apps that use location (coarse and fine) along with data, and they'd be hamstrung with no GPS.

Get an iPad mini with LTE?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ultimate Mango posted:

Get an iPad mini with LTE?

That's actually not a bad idea. I guess I'd have to sell my existing iPad though... it would be really silly to have both an iPad and a mini side by side at home. An iPod and iPad I could justify.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

That's actually not a bad idea. I guess I'd have to sell my existing iPad though... it would be really silly to have both an iPad and a mini side by side at home. An iPod and iPad I could justify.

Get over it. Nobody will care. I have 2-3 ios devices running simultaneously not only at home but when I am on an airplane or otherwise around people. Really no one cares.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Just bought a 160 gb classic to replace my dying and old 80 gb. I'm having trouble syncing it or even putting music on it at all, it seems iTunes 9+ acts really strange with Classics? It constantly gives me errors and gives up, or takes like 45 seconds per song to transfer, and then normal speed, then slow again, then errors out. Is there a way to go from iTunes 11 to iTunes 8 without losing 5,000+ ratings etc?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Quad posted:

Just bought a 160 gb classic to replace my dying and old 80 gb. I'm having trouble syncing it or even putting music on it at all, it seems iTunes 9+ acts really strange with Classics? It constantly gives me errors and gives up, or takes like 45 seconds per song to transfer, and then normal speed, then slow again, then errors out. Is there a way to go from iTunes 11 to iTunes 8 without losing 5,000+ ratings etc?

Are you using an original iPod or a aftermarket one? Try a different cable. I've had problems syncing with a bootleg chinese knockoff cable before

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Pucklynn posted:

Can you guys help me with this issue? I've had this problem for at least the last four months, maybe more. I've replaced the iPod entirely because I thought maybe it was just old and had been dropped too many times, but that didn't help. I've got the newest versions of both the iPod software and iTunes and I'm out of ideas. Here's my problem:

I have a brand new 160gb iPod Classic. I also have ~300 unplayed podcast episodes that I would like to listen to in chronological order, oldest first. I made a Smart Playlist with the following critera:

Media Kind: Podcast
Plays: 0
Artist is not "steve boyett"
Live Updating

There is nothing on this iPod except this playlist, the Purchased playlist, and the podcast episodes. I have the menu set up to display the "Playlists" option on the main menu. When I hover over it, the side pane says "2 Playlists". Clicking the button does nothing-- I can't access either of these playlists this way. If I go into "Music" and choose "Playlists" from there, it shows "No Playlists". If I plug the iPod into the USB port in my car, I'm able to find and use the playlist through my dashboard controls, but if I'm using the iPod by itself, I cannot access this playlist at all.

Do you have any solutions for this? It's very obnoxious to constantly have to catch the end of each podcast and click back twice in order to listen to the next newest episode.

Found the answer to my issue on accident.

Turns out if I put some music on the iPod I'm suddenly able to access my Playlists again. /facepalm

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have a question about ipod suffles.

I have been through a number of different ipods my latest one to break was a refurbished nano which pretty much suited me perfectly.

I only use them for podcasts, never music. The shuffle is all I can really afford right now. When it says it speaks the title of the thing you are playing is there any way of seeing if you have listened to that before?

What I mean is with podcasts often being an hour or more I will listen to them in stages and often skip between them. Is there any way of showing if a podcast has been listened to or not?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Jippa posted:

I have been through a number of different ipods my latest one to break was a refurbished nano which pretty much suited me perfectly.

I only use them for podcasts, never music. The shuffle is all I can really afford right now. When it says it speaks the title of the thing you are playing is there any way of seeing if you have listened to that before?

What I mean is with podcasts often being an hour or more I will listen to them in stages and often skip between them. Is there any way of showing if a podcast has been listened to or not?

Not while you're using a Shuffle, to my knowledge. iTunes has those dots that indicate new or partially-heard episodes.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I got my first iphone when the 3GS came out and later upgraded to a 4S. A couple months ago my company got me a crapberry that can act as a wifi router. Since I have an LTE ipad I figured I could just dump the iphone and use the ipad for apps and the blackberry for text and calls.

I did that and it's been 2 months and it kinda sucks. I can't just whip the ipad out on a whim and do something during the various little down times during the day, especially at work. For one it's too big to carry everywhere and secondly I don't need any odd looks from people when I'm on the job. It's also not something I want to lug around in stores, bars, restaurants, out and about around town, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love my ipad but it's only really useful during extended downtimes or at home.

I could just get another iphone and pay the $80 a month again, which I'm still considering. The other option is to get an iPod touch and tether it my blackberry. I tried it on my ipad and it works ok, not as fast as LTE but it worked. The feature also drains the battery pretty quickly but I can pop a new battery in the BB if I need to (though that means more crap in my pocket). I'm afraid I'm going to get a touch and just wish I had an iphone again.

Does anyone here constantly tether their touch to a mobile hot spot? Does it workout ok for you?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Jippa posted:

Not to derail an iPod thread too far but just buy this: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-Player-Black/dp/B002MAPT7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387150055&sr=8-1&keywords=sansa

it's 30 dollars, has expandable storage (i have 64gb of music on mine), you can drag/drop files without itunes, it supports FLAC files (which iThings definitely do not do), it's very light, AND it has a graphical interface (if a bit primitive, but it lets you pick the songs so it's about all you could want).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I am selling a brand new iPod Nano on SA Mart:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595367

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Can't find a straight answer to this from googling, so I'm hoping someone in here will be able to easily answer this.

I'm giving a 120gb iPod Classic to someone (model from several years ago). I don't have iTunes installed, nor can I find a connector cable for the device. Is there a way I can reset it to as-new factory settings and erase the link with my old iTunes (and all my music), without connecting it to my PC? Or failing that will he at least be able to do it (once he buys the appropriate cable) on his machine? I presume it won't let him sync it until the link with my account is erased.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Can't find a straight answer to this from googling, so I'm hoping someone in here will be able to easily answer this.

I'm giving a 120gb iPod Classic to someone (model from several years ago). I don't have iTunes installed, nor can I find a connector cable for the device. Is there a way I can reset it to as-new factory settings and erase the link with my old iTunes (and all my music), without connecting it to my PC? Or failing that will he at least be able to do it (once he buys the appropriate cable) on his machine? I presume it won't let him sync it until the link with my account is erased.

I don't think you can with out connecting it to your computer. It should allow him to wipe it and sync when he hooks it up anyway.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Haggins posted:

I don't think you can with out connecting it to your computer. It should allow him to wipe it and sync when he hooks it up anyway.

Would have liked to have given it to him all fresh and ready to go, but as long as he can do it himself that's fine. So if he connects it up it should say something along the lines of that it's linked to another account, but that he can do a restore and then sync it with his own account?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Would have liked to have given it to him all fresh and ready to go, but as long as he can do it himself that's fine. So if he connects it up it should say something along the lines of that it's linked to another account, but that he can do a restore and then sync it with his own account?

Yeah there is a restore ipod button that formats it clean.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Cool, thank you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So my iPod nano is currently stuck in a restore loop thing, has anyone had this before? Basically it just keeps forcing me to restore over and over, and I have no idea why. It's less than a day old.

edit: never mind, I got it.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone with a 7th gen iPod nano have any suggestions on water resistant/proof cases, that aren't sports armbands? My girlfriend wants something she can drop in her pocket or stuff in her bra (or clip to the strap, for that matter,) at work, that will protect it from splashes, rain, etc. She obviously can't wear a giant LOOK AT MY IPOD AREN'T I TRENDY WHILE I'M OUT RUNNING armband at work, and none of the regular cases I've found seem to speak to any degree of water resistance...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm looking for an iPod dock that won't cost me a million bucks from Apple. Speakers/remote are a plus, but not a dealbreaker. I just need something I can stick my 3rd gen Nano into to play podcasts.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

I'm looking for an iPod dock that won't cost me a million bucks from Apple. Speakers/remote are a plus, but not a dealbreaker. I just need something I can stick my 3rd gen Nano into to play podcasts.

Cheap powered speakers and a line out dock cable?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

iHome makes some relatively cheap docks. I believe you can usually find them at Apple Stores.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I was looking at adding at GPS to my ipod touch 5th gen (I don't own or want a phone) and came across Bad Elf. http://gps.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/...gps-1008-detail I would mainly use it for apps, like zombie run, sky guide/etc. From what I've seen, it got pretty good reviews on amazon, but I haven't talked to anyone that has actually used it. Is it worth the money or is there a better one out there? Or should I just save my money all together?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
SharePod got all "Look its a demo!" and I need to backup my refurb Nano 7th Gen. The headphone jack seems borked and I am going to take it in this weekend. Thankfully less than a year old. Any recommendations? 3.9.9 seems to crash every time I try to open it :(

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have a second generation iPod nano and I was wondering if I can charge it via mains plug like I see people doing with iPhones and stuff. I've only ever charged it by putting the USB cable into a PC. Since I'm going away to America in a couple of months, it would be really handy to be able to charge it without a PC or laptop.

The thing that's making me doubt is that you have to specifically hit "eject" on iTunes before it will let you unplug it. And there'd be no way to do that if it was wired up to the mains. :ohdear:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I have a second generation iPod nano and I was wondering if I can charge it via mains plug like I see people doing with iPhones and stuff. I've only ever charged it by putting the USB cable into a PC. Since I'm going away to America in a couple of months, it would be really handy to be able to charge it without a PC or laptop.

The thing that's making me doubt is that you have to specifically hit "eject" on iTunes before it will let you unplug it. And there'd be no way to do that if it was wired up to the mains. :ohdear:

It's worked fine with my pod touch too. I'm pretty sure the "eject" button is only there to stop problems in case the device is transferring files between it and the computer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I got a new iPod touch the other day (thanks dad! :worship:). I believe I need to register it with Apple so I can use the Find my iPhone app. If this is the case, how do I register the iPod?

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I got a new iPod touch the other day (thanks dad! :worship:). I believe I need to register it with Apple so I can use the Find my iPhone app. If this is the case, how do I register the iPod?

Don't know what exactly 'register with Apple' means in this context, but on iOS 6 Touch the process was exactly the same as on the iPhone, if I remember correctly. You'll need an Apple ID, nothing else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

HDC posted:

Don't know what exactly 'register with Apple' means in this context, but on iOS 6 Touch the process was exactly the same as on the iPhone, if I remember correctly. You'll need an Apple ID, nothing else.

And so it is. I skipped registering for iCloud on initial setup. When I eventually signed in to the iPod with my Apple ID, all was well with the world.

Is there any chance the iPod touch will be dropped by Apple in the near future? I'd hate to think so - I don't want to use my phone as my music player until battery life improves by several orders of magnitude.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think they'll drop it. Why would you be worried about music draining the battery? I don't know what it's at now but the original iPhone could play music for 24 hours before it ran out of juice. Calls, the screen, and wifi are the real drainers. I think my iPod classic gets something crazy like 48 hours.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I apologize if these questions are stupid as hell but combing through the internet for answers is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend borrow my iPod touch and she upgraded the software on it so now it forces me to use iTunes 11. I was using 10 previously and manually managing my music, where I could easily just drag and drop individual songs. Now in iTunes 11 I just can't figure out how to get that same functionality. I have 'manually manage music and videos' checked, but when I click 'Music' under my iPod in the sidebar and try to drag & drop files there it won't allow me to (there's the little red circle with the slash through it). I'm sure it's something incredibly obvious, but I'm too dumb to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated

edit: nevermind, think I figured it out, just some syncing issue. Now the latest thing driving me insane is how any time you click out of your music and then click back into it, it automatically resets to the top of the list instead of keeping your place like the previous version of iTunes did. God damnit

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 26, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good solution for getting my ipod Nano 7th Generation fixed? I broke the screen on the way to get some food the other day (which that was a bad idea for other reasons) and while it less then a year old, I guess it pointless to take it up the Apple Store since they don't cover accidental repairs. I see options to buy a replacement glass online for 20, but I had enough bad memories trying to repair the PSP's bad screen to ever want to try this again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It can't hurt to take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll repair it. There's stories on here of Apple repairing stuff for free that they really shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bung Harmer posted:

It can't hurt to take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll repair it. There's stories on here of Apple repairing stuff for free that they really shouldn't have.

I had it schedule until I saw online that it wouldn't be covered. Only reason I cancelled is the fact it's almost a hour drive from the house. I see in google seraches various places offering to repair ipods, but anyone have experience with such places?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 23, 2014

• Locked thread