Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
There's overheating shut-off and there's also recording cut-off. I've never had a camera overheat while just running, but they do go to sleep. There are a hundred reasons this is a bad idea, but I'll wait and see. If I can use my DSLR as a webcam, I imagine a TV studio can find a way to make it work if there's money behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

1st AD posted:

I've never had a D600 or D800 overheat.

The recording cutoff has a lot more to do with certain taxes applied to cameras that function as video recording devices; the recording limits allow manufacturers to bypass this.

Wow, I had no idea about that. So when did that come in? Cameras have been able to record videos for years with no restrictions, it's only DSLRs I've heard having some sort of cutoff

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

thehustler posted:

Wow, I had no idea about that. So when did that come in? Cameras have been able to record videos for years with no restrictions, it's only DSLRs I've heard having some sort of cutoff

It's because Canon, Nikon, et al don't want to pay that tax on millions of cheapo DSLR units that are being bought by regular users.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's been around since well before video on DSLR's and you definitely saw cameras with the same limitations before. Over 30 minutes makes it a professional camcorder or some such nonsense that puts it into a difference class of taxation. On the 5D MkII the file size limit of FAT32 cut you off well before then, but the specific 30 minute limit is always due to taxes.

edit: It's not like recording time limits are going to be a thing if they're piping it out live anyway. And yeah, I've never had the D800 overheat and I've shot continuously in pretty hot conditions.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 18, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I had a canon t3i overheat on me but I was shooting people working on a highway in the middle of the day in El Salvador, I'm impressed it lasted as long as it did

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
I've had my 550D overheat a bunch of times, mainly when in studio with heavy lighting, and once when shooting through the whole day in direct sunlight in summer. It's pretty easy to cool down though, just remove the battery and let some cool air in.

5DII has never overheated however.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A friend posted this on facebook. Fuckin' OUCH.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Slim Pickens posted:

I hope they have insurance. :shepicide:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I too had an accident on Friday, but it was only a D600 so the cost to repair/replace it is pretty low.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Slim Pickens posted:

Brain Farm's skate crew.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I did a quick search but didn't find anything, and I've had a hell of a time finding a definitive answer on google. Thought I'd ask here.

I'm a biologist filming animal behavior. We finally made the jump from miniDV cameras, and just got some consumer Sony HD camcorders (PJ430 and PJ380). We really want the date/time displayed, and usually this shows up in a sub-track but occasionally we've had clips that don't seem to have the sub-track info. My question is where the date/time actually resides in the metadata.

Most of my searching suggests it is not in the .mts file itself. (true/not true?)
The .cpi file has camera settings, but I haven't seen clearly whether this includes date/time.
If it's not there, the .mpl file seems to be the last logical place.

We've been copying the entire card so original file structure should be in place.

Right now we're using VLC media player. Any better option for simple playback?

Thanks!

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
For fucks sake, Blackmagic.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/12544/blackmagic-studio-camera-announced-today

Their forums are chock full of people crying out for firmware fixes for glaring errors on their current crop of cameras, latest being the crippling pattern noise on the 4K production camera, with not a beep from the company, while they go and announce a new camera nobody asked for.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Two new cameras, actually: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

Not sure why EOSHD only has the studio camera listed since this went out in an email to all customers and is a bit more interesting to me.

edit: actually, he just posted about it now.

powderific fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 7, 2014

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

This is the first BM camera I would actually pay money for. A hundred times more exciting than the other.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I don't understand- where do I load the the magazine?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
How brilliant it is to corner the coloring market then release budget-friendly cameras that shoot RAW. They're going to sell so many licenses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually kindof excited for the A7S. I've been looking for a way to move to a two camera setup that's more compact than my current D800/XF300 kit that doesn't sacrifice stills and it seems like an A7R and A7S combo could be just the ticket.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Slim Killington posted:

This is the first BM camera I would actually pay money for. A hundred times more exciting than the other.

Apparently the URSA ships with the same sensor as the BMPC - i.e. the one with massive QA issues and fixed pattern noise that renders it unusable above 400ISO. It's hard to get excited for Black magic products anymore when they fail to fix the glaring errors on their existing cameras.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yes but I actually expect this one to get attention paid to its problems because of who they intend for it to compete with. $6500 leaves a lot of room to replace the sensor and buy overpriced CFast 2 cards (120G for $1200 holy poo poo are you serious)

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 7, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aja's entry in the camera world looks pretty sweet:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion

4k, global shutter, clearly designed with shoulder use/single operator in mind, $9k.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

Aja's entry in the camera world looks pretty sweet:

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion

4k, global shutter, clearly designed with shoulder use/single operator in mind, $9k.

god drat that is a gorgeous camera body

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really like the looks of it. If you skip to the end of the features video there's about 6 seconds of video actually shot with one, but it's hard to tell much from it. Looks like they're planning to ship this summer.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

powderific posted:

Two new cameras, actually: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

Not sure why EOSHD only has the studio camera listed since this went out in an email to all customers and is a bit more interesting to me.

edit: actually, he just posted about it now.

Ah yes, Zone 1, the "Directoe of Photography".

(Look at the graphic with the zones)

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 7, 2014

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The new BM looks like they still don't know how camera crews actually use cameras. Thanks for the 10" monitor, but isn't that a serious load on the joint? What if the monitor breaks for goes bad? How the hell am I supposed to use it if the camera is on my shoulder? And I couldn't help but laugh at their idiotic donkey configuration where they sell you the camera without a sensor and you're just supposed to slap your DSLR on it connected via HDMI. Like the previous camera this has hobbyist written all over it. I love the hipster camera operators in their promo pictures, shooting a very expensive looking commercial but apparently can't afford AC's.

On the other hand I'm all for them moving in to the NLE market with Resolve 11. I'm getting really tired of Avid and still don't want to use FCP.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I'm more excited about Resolve 11 AS LONG as the NLE interface is a complete overhaul of how it is in Resolve 10 (i.e. dogshit).

I'm not sure that I'd use it full time because the metadata logging in FCPX is incredibly flexible and auditioning makes cutting commercial spots a breeze, but considering how much time I spend in Resolve anyways it'd be nice if I could cut short narrative-style pieces and finish all within Resolve.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

SquareDog posted:

The new BM looks like they still don't know how camera crews actually use cameras. Thanks for the 10" monitor, but isn't that a serious load on the joint? What if the monitor breaks for goes bad? How the hell am I supposed to use it if the camera is on my shoulder? And I couldn't help but laugh at their idiotic donkey configuration where they sell you the camera without a sensor and you're just supposed to slap your DSLR on it connected via HDMI. Like the previous camera this has hobbyist written all over it. I love the hipster camera operators in their promo pictures, shooting a very expensive looking commercial but apparently can't afford AC's.

On the other hand I'm all for them moving in to the NLE market with Resolve 11. I'm getting really tired of Avid and still don't want to use FCP.

That monitor probably doesn't weigh much at all, it's not going to stress a joint like that. And if it's on your shoulder, you're not going to use the monitor. If you mean the touchscreen functions, it comes with a one-handed remote.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Actually, I'm surprised the studio camera is flying under the radar. 10" LCD (geeze, did they strike a deal with somebody to buy all these screens or what), built-in battery that actually has decent capacity, XLR/SDI/LANC/Fiber connections, m43 mount, 1080p and 60fps, small sensor (slightly bigger than the Pocket Camera). Sounds like a great deal for anyone doing live production and have a beefy switcher already.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

SquareDog posted:

Are they completely hauling the NLE in the next version because editing in resolve 10 is pretty much windows movie maker level.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Windows Movie Maker is better editing software than Resolve 10 IMO.

Hopefully they make it good and keyboard friendly, and I'd love to be able to use Resolve's tracker on type layers.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

1st AD posted:

Actually, I'm surprised the studio camera is flying under the radar. 10" LCD (geeze, did they strike a deal with somebody to buy all these screens or what), built-in battery that actually has decent capacity, XLR/SDI/LANC/Fiber connections, m43 mount, 1080p and 60fps, small sensor (slightly bigger than the Pocket Camera). Sounds like a great deal for anyone doing live production and have a beefy switcher already.

We're really liking the studio camera at the university I work at. Our infrastucture in our TV studio is all still SD Sony PowerHADs, and they really are showing their age now. The whole thing needs upgrading really, but the cost was prohibitive. But this sounds marvellous. I imagine we'd need a new switcher as well.

I didn't see but do they come with CCUs?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thehustler posted:

We're really liking the studio camera at the university I work at. Our infrastucture in our TV studio is all still SD Sony PowerHADs, and they really are showing their age now. The whole thing needs upgrading really, but the cost was prohibitive. But this sounds marvellous. I imagine we'd need a new switcher as well.

I didn't see but do they come with CCUs?

A "CCU" on a black magic camera is probably an ipad app

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Blackmagic Ursa sounds amazing on paper. Seriously thinking about getting the EF mount one with a couple Samyang Cine lenses. But then again Blackmagic is poo poo with updating their current crop of cameras so I am wary of getting one and having to live with first batch problems that will probably never get fixed.

Is there a test footage or something shot with it anywhere? I haven't been able to find any so far.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 9, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know, but the unit they have at NAB definitely has the same hot spot issue as the current 4K camera.

I'd pass on any new cameras from them until they work out some firmware issues.

The original BMCC really does all that I need anyways, the only upgrade I would even want is to swap mine out for the m43 model so I can throw a Metabones Speed Booster on it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Again, with the market this intends to hit, I wouldn't bet on them ignoring issues with it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They're using the same sensor as the existing 4k camera and the new Ursa seems to exhibit the same issues, seems like ignoring it is exactly what they're doing?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
You're missing my point. Pocket cameras marketed at amateurs and enthusiasts aren't going to drive an immediate level of attention for fixing those sorts of problems as a camera marketed as a low-cost reason for small-budget filmmakers to say, "gently caress RED, I'll buy an URSA." They have a specific market targeted with that camera that they want a piece of, and they'll address those issues soon. I'd almost bet the same time it rolls out if not shortly thereafter.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I can't wait to rent the Ursa for $100/day.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

You're missing my point. Pocket cameras marketed at amateurs and enthusiasts aren't going to drive an immediate level of attention for fixing those sorts of problems as a camera marketed as a low-cost reason for small-budget filmmakers to say, "gently caress RED, I'll buy an URSA." They have a specific market targeted with that camera that they want a piece of, and they'll address those issues soon. I'd almost bet the same time it rolls out if not shortly thereafter.

I dunno man, as a purchaser of Blackmagic products I have to say it looks like they use camera announcements to fuel future R&D, deliver products late and buggy, then repeat the cycle all over again.

I don't remember the first batch of BMCC's being so problematic, but that thing came out a year after it was promised and the m43 version took even longer. Then they announced the pocket and 4k cameras and those also came late and with a lot more quality control issues than the first time. I don't know why you think they'll suddenly fix all these problems in a timely manner because the price is now $6k instead of $3k.

I actually think the Pocket camera is great even though I really don't want one, and at the price they're asking for I'd be willing to accept its flaws. But the 4k camera currently has lots of issues, and they still haven't delivered on raw recording yet, and realistically it sits near the same price point as the Ursa does.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah, all great points. I'm not a Blackmagic user so I'm basing this all on how it's being positioned/marketed. I could be wrong as poo poo, but that's a price point that is way too hard to ignore for firmware issues that could theoretically get fixed at any time, compared to competitor products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Blackmagic have also been notorious for having products that are pretty decent but just slightly too crap to use in an actual production environment (connectors attached directly to the main boards, fixed pattern noise issues on their current cameras) and I agree with Slim Killington that they will really have to address these issues at this price point.

However, the Ursa still isn't that great for actual production use from an ergonomic point of view, so I'm not sure how much of the industry will start using it, especially when there is so much competition that is actually tried and tested. A lower rental (or purchase) price is worth nothing when the images you record look like rear end or you can't properly operate it.