Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Search on Kazaa for the latest episode number from PlanetNamek and then find out you downloaded the unsubbed Japanese version and also your parents ground you from the computer because you tied up the internet for 9 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Also, when you get to the Garlic Jr. Saga make sure to make a big deal about it as if it was a big special event. Tell everyone you know. Let them know the Garlic Jr. Saga has officially started.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I still remember the day Cartoon Network started showing new episodes of DBZ like it was 9/11. They showed the final two episodes of the old episodes to get you ready, then two new episodes. It was like holy gently caress a new era of time has begun.

e: Also Burter was my favorite member of the Ginyu Force for some reason. I was kinda sad how easily he got wiped out.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

I still remember the day Cartoon Network started showing new episodes of DBZ like it was 9/11. They showed the final two episodes of the old episodes to get you ready, then two new episodes. It was like holy gently caress a new era of time has begun.

e: Also Burter was my favorite member of the Ginyu Force for some reason. I was kinda sad how easily he got wiped out.

I remember thinking him and Jeice would be a good fight, because the reruns would restart midway through the fight with Recoom, which built them up by DBZ logic (fights always went from weakest to strongest).

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

furiouskoala posted:

I remember thinking him and Jeice would be a good fight, because the reruns would restart midway through the fight with Recoom, which built them up by DBZ logic (fights always went from weakest to strongest).

I actually just rewatched it. It's not a bad fight in its own, just...short. The Ginyu fight is about my least favorite fight in the series though. The whole body change thing was really really stupid. I just don't get how Ginyu did not already know that his power level wasn't going to be anywhere near Goku's. He's surely done the body change before, so how did he not know that? Just a really dumb concept that robbed the series of what could have been an interesting fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Goku and the rest of the Z-Fighters are unique in that they don't run around at full power all the time. You have to figure out how to draw out more power, and in Goku's case you need to understand the Kaioken too. Krillin straight up says this while he and Gohan fight with Ginyu.

And when Ginyu started getting the hang of things Vegeta showed up, so yeah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

I actually just rewatched it. It's not a bad fight in its own, just...short. The Ginyu fight is about my least favorite fight in the series though. The whole body change thing was really really stupid. I just don't get how Ginyu did not already know that his power level wasn't going to be anywhere near Goku's. He's surely done the body change before, so how did he not know that? Just a really dumb concept that robbed the series of what could have been an interesting fight.

While Blitzblast explained while Ginyu not knowing how to draw out Goku's full power makes more sense than you might think, I agree. I mean, the fight actually was pretty good up until the body switch happened. Goku and Ginyu were trading blows, Ginyu had the whole "Ah, you are a worthy adversary!" thing going on, it's Goku's first real challenge with his new powers, etc. Then it turns into attack of the body swappers and becomes more of a comedy. Which, I mean, Dragonball's always had elements of comedy, but this one wasn't even that funny.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It was a pretty nice twist, though. Bad guy admits he's outmatched, then WHAM, fist through his chest, now he's got magic powers and Goku is hosed while Ginyu runs off with his body to wreck poo poo up. The alternative would have been Goku curbstomping him and then moving on to Frieza, instead he's out of the game for a while and everybody has to fend for themselves until he's back.

It wasn't until I started actually watching anime and realizing this happens all the loving time that I realized it was cliche, but when I first saw it I thought it was a really cool twist.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It was a pretty nice twist, though. Bad guy admits he's outmatched, then WHAM, fist through his chest, now he's got magic powers and Goku is hosed while Ginyu runs off with his body to wreck poo poo up. The alternative would have been Goku curbstomping him and then moving on to Frieza, instead he's out of the game for a while and everybody has to fend for themselves until he's back.

It wasn't until I started actually watching anime and realizing this happens all the loving time that I realized it was cliche, but when I first saw it I thought it was a really cool twist.

Except Goku had already been out of the game throughout the entire saga at that point. So it went from being what could've been a cool fight Goku could have won while struggling a bit, to literally more of the same stuff.

But yeah, that's Dragon Ball Z in a nut shell: wait around til Goku comes back to wreck poo poo up. Dragon Ball in its entirety is almost completely focused on Goku, but at least Goku was around for most of the original series.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kai is pretty great but it really needed that filler episode where they get their driver's license.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Azubah posted:

Kai is pretty great but it really needed that filler episode where they get their driver's license.
I hope they can add that one and the one where EARTH'S SPECIAL FORCES go into the Holodeck and get killed by the ancient Saiyans as special features or something.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Azubah posted:

Buu saga has yet to be released though, we can still have hope!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cardboard Box A posted:

I hope they can add that one and the one where EARTH'S SPECIAL FORCES go into the Holodeck and get killed by the ancient Saiyans as special features or something.

And the one where the minor characters fight the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet. Because if DBZ needs anything, its more Ginyu Force.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The Bee posted:

And the one where the minor characters fight the Ginyu Force on King Kai's planet. Because if DBZ needs anything, its more Ginyu Force.

That's so dumb because there's no way Tien and Yamcha and such were strong enough to take any aside Guldo. DBZAbridged handled that way better.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

That's so dumb because there's no way Tien and Yamcha and such were strong enough to take any aside Guldo. DBZAbridged handled that way better.

I have to agree. Goku didn't even manage to get up to Vegeta's level on Kai's planet and had to rely on the Kaio-ken to keep up with him. (Guess what those guys didn't get taught!) This is after possibly receiving a huge power boost from getting revived from death.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zonekeeper posted:

I have to agree. Goku didn't even manage to get up to Vegeta's level on Kai's planet and had to rely on the Kaio-ken to keep up with him. (Guess what those guys didn't get taught!) This is after possibly receiving a huge power boost from getting revived from death.

Filler is stupid, but so are power levels. There is just no feasible way that any one but Goku could stand up to Freeza even in his first form. Unless Piccolo's fuse with Nail really boosted him from like below Zarbon to handling second form Freeza.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, but that wouldn't be the first time that happened. Remember Goku already trained with Kami in Dragon Ball for several years before fighting (the current) Piccolo, and even after that he couldn't beat Raditz in a 2 on 1 without sacrificing himself.
Then comes Krillin, trains one year with Kami and suddenly can oneshoot 3 Raditzes... I mean Saibamen.
And this was canon.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I had thought that Krillin, Tien et al were stronger after all of the training that they get than Goku was at the time of having done it before them. It at least looked like Piccolo was after training with Kai, and Krillin was after training with Kami. It's a shame that the rest get training from Kai that they never really use, but I think they should have been able to take the Ginyu force. It even looks like it would be a perfect matchup.

vvv Exactly. Have Chiaotzu vs Guldo (perfect matchup); I wanna say Krillin vs. Racoom, only because there are some fights in DB where he goes up against super-huge larger opponents and wins, so it'd keep with the theme; Jeice and Butta vs. Yamcha and Tenshinhan; and maybe Piccolo vs Ginyu. Otherwise maybe Krillin vs. Buta, since Krillin is supposed to be really fast as well (or he was in Dragonball), and Tien vs Racoom, to carry a theme of reformed jerk/assassin-in-training vs. dude that really liked to beat up a six year old.

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 23, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Considering Piccolo was able to keep up with big bull style Freeza before Kai's training, and how easily every member of the Ginyu Force except Ginyu were just taken apart by Goku without effort, I don't see the problem with Team Other Guys with guest performer Piccolo winning against the Ginyu Force.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

At least Gohan's rapid raise to power was somewhat rationalized by him being a half-saiyan: they have the better overall potential but lack their ancestors' edge and thirst for battle. Even Vegeta acknowledged Gohan's strength and he wasn't exactly keen on giving compliments.

Namekian's fuse no jutsu was really more of a deus ex machina, there wasn't much information about it and we still have only cursory knowledge regarding the percentage by which the power level rises. Nail (who lost to Frieza's 1st form) + Piccolo (who was killed by Nappa and trained for some time) = Frieza's 2nd form. Somehow.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
King Kai is actually the strongest person in the setting and trains people to exactly where they need to be to catch up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

WickedHate posted:

King Kai is actually the strongest person in the setting

But Cell killed him by self-destructing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Schubalts posted:

He bought a halo to keep up the illusion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Cell was weaker than Goku at the time though and still killed him anyways.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

WickedHate posted:

King Kai is actually the strongest person in the setting and trains people to exactly where they need to be to catch up.

This is better than the truth which is that King Kai was weaker than Nappa

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I always thought the whole fusing deal for Namekkians was weird. Piccolo and Kami made sense because they were once one individual. But for anyone else how the heck does that work? I like abridgeds handling of it, as an ability they shouldn't use but was going to abuse. You'd think after it becoming apparent that someone was killing everyone, all the warriors would have combined into 1 guy haha

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it would've been better if, instead of fusing with Nail and suddenly getting absurdly powerful, Piccolo had his potential unlocked by Guru somehow. Maybe Guru gives Dende the ability to do that, and Dende unlocks Piccolo's hidden power.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Considering Piccolo was able to keep up with big bull style Freeza before Kai's training, and how easily every member of the Ginyu Force except Ginyu were just taken apart by Goku without effort, I don't see the problem with Team Other Guys with guest performer Piccolo winning against the Ginyu Force.
Well, Piccolo only fought against Freeza after training with King Kai, being wished back to life, and absorbing Nail. By the time the Ginyu Force arrived at King Kai's only the humans were left. As well, Vegeta and crew were thoroughly smashed by Recoome until Goku showed up and one-shot him. Vegeta was only able to stand against the rest of the Ginyu Force after the zenkai boost of nearly dying, again, and getting a senzu bean from Goku. Although the one kill he scored was against an unconscious opponent.

Vintimus Prime posted:

I always thought the whole fusing deal for Namekkians was weird. Piccolo and Kami made sense because they were once one individual. But for anyone else how the heck does that work? I like abridgeds handling of it, as an ability they shouldn't use but was going to abuse. You'd think after it becoming apparent that someone was killing everyone, all the warriors would have combined into 1 guy haha
That's actually the origin of one of the characters in the Dragonball Multiverse fan comic.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 24, 2014

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Steve Jorbs posted:

That's actually the origin of one of the characters in the Dragonball Multiverse fan comic.

Really? Man, I need to catch back up to that.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Vintimus Prime posted:

Really? Man, I need to catch back up to that.

Skip the two pointless Namek specials that are still going.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Squallege posted:

With a third starting next week! :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squallege posted:

I don't think that's how skipping works.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I find it pretty funny that even the DBZ fancomic isn't immune to having filler, somehow. :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Squallege posted:

Honestly I kinda like the current Namek special; it's an interesting "what-if" that isn't just "What if this super crazy thing happened?" It's taking out one domino from way back and exploring the way it could change things.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Honestly I kinda like the current Namek special; it's an interesting "what-if" that isn't just "What if this super crazy thing happened?" It's taking out one domino from way back and exploring the way it could change things.

Yeah the most interesting universes in DBM are ones like that, or Universe 13 where Kakarot never hit his head, which sets off a series of changes rather than "Cell won, the end"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pierson posted:

I find it pretty funny that even the DBZ fancomic isn't immune to having filler, somehow. :v:

Yeah, and no one is able to escape Namek.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Steve Jorbs posted:

Well, Piccolo only fought against Freeza after training with King Kai, being wished back to life, and absorbing Nail. By the time the Ginyu Force arrived at King Kai's only the humans were left. As well, Vegeta and crew were thoroughly smashed by Recoome until Goku showed up and one-shot him. Vegeta was only able to stand against the rest of the Ginyu Force after the zenkai boost of nearly dying, again, and getting a senzu bean from Goku. Although the one kill he scored was against an unconscious opponent.

In addition to this, King Kai's training only got Goku to a little better than Nappa without the kaioken that no one else learns. Goku only gets as strong as he did with the zenkai from the Vegeta fight and the intense training on his way to Namek. Logically there is no way in hell that The Other Guys could take on the Ginyu Force.

I'm repeating myself here, but Dragon Ball did this better instead of resorting to these illogical power gaps (i.e., the characters getting much more out of Kami's training than Goku, apparently). Goku got these special power ups while every one else did their own thing or followed in Goku's footsteps (mostly Yamcha and Krillin still training with Master Roshi while Goku was set free). Goku's training was better, but everyone else's was still effective. For instance, while Goku was with Kami the others trained with Korin and did their own thing. They were stronger for their efforts, but Goku still blew them away. There was consistency. There wasn't consistency in DBZ with people's power ups.

The inconsistency of course is really just Toriyama not really caring about the side characters and powering them up to however he sees fit. But as my last post said, the Freeza thing just makes no loving sense. For Piccolo to handle second form Freeza must have meant that his fuse with Nail must have multiplied his power by at least twenty times, assuming Piccolo's King Kai training left him at about the strength of a Ginyu Force member (even that's a stretch). I can understand Vegeta handling Jeice after his zenkai, but then for the characters to have logically any chance against Freeza is where the logic starts to unravel. Toriyama really overpowered Freeza to a level that stretches belief for anyone to realistically fight him, at least until Goku's SSJ.

Again, arguing power levels is stupid. It's a fun show regardless but the power creep is really something no one should think about seriously.

Also, regarding DBM. I loved the current special issue but it's kind of fallen with the last few pages. Seems like the author had more in mind but had to cut it short due to page limits for instance, wasn't the Ginyu Force supposed to show up earlier? The Zarbon fight was really good though.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The ridiculous leaps in power wouldn't have been that bad if Frieza had actually been the last villain. Then it'd just be toryiama just pushing things to the limit for a big finish.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

The ridiculous leaps in power wouldn't have been that bad if Frieza had actually been the last villain. Then it'd just be toryiama just pushing things to the limit for a big finish.

It's easy to think that was the case, since it makes perfect narrative sense. You'd figure that Toriyama was forced to keep going from fan outcry and pressure from his editors, but I read an article a while back that says this couldn't be the case. There was no break in publishing whatsoever between the end of Namek and Trunks' arrival for any outcry or changing of Toriyama's mind to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Zonekeeper posted:

It's easy to think that was the case, since it makes perfect narrative sense. You'd figure that Toriyama was forced to keep going from fan outcry and pressure from his editors, but I read an article a while back that says this couldn't be the case. There was no break in publishing whatsoever between the end of Namek and Trunks' arrival for any outcry or changing of Toriyama's mind to occur.

I helped contribute to that article.

I think Toriyama MAY have considered ending it at Freeza, but there's no indication as to when or if that were the case in his interviews and writing.

Sort of like, say, he considered ending it at Freeza when he was writing the Ginyu saga, brought it up over Sake to his editor, he said "are you crazy, it's more popular than ever, keep it going" and Toriyama went "ok" and just wrote up a new storyline after he finished his original plan for Freeza. No fan outcry or pressure, just a decision made one day.

• Locked thread