Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ColHannibal posted:

I've seen multiple quarter inch size holes be fixed in a pinch with some raw eggs. Is it permanent? No, but protein is an amazing glue and the structure of a radiator lets it grip really well. You could probably get a few hundred miles of highway driving out of an egg fix.

They did this years ago on a car myth episode of Mythbusters and Jamie and Adam were both gobsmacked when it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

It was bizarre Clarkson asking what crystal meth was, they don't have amphetamines there?

No. Cocaine is readily available (try going into the bathroom at any London pub or restaurant and I guarantee you there'll be the remnants of people having done lines on the cistern) and so are Es.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

drgitlin posted:

No. Cocaine is readily available (try going into the bathroom at any London pub or restaurant and I guarantee you there'll be the remnants of people having done lines on the cistern) and so are Es.

Just got done watching all of Shameless (UK). Can you really go to a bar and ask for an E at the counter? Or do you have to achieve Frank status first.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Just got done watching all of Shameless (UK). Can you really go to a bar and ask for an E at the counter? Or do you have to achieve Frank status first.

Let's hear what you think first.

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
I literally LOLed when Clarkson broke his windshield. "Breeze'll be nice"

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I liked the season and all but it cant be over, there was no P1 or 918 on the track.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

ColHannibal posted:

I liked the season and all but it cant be over, there was no P1 or 918 on the track.

They said that would happen sometime in June or something.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Maybe everyone knew about this already except me, but there's a Youtube channel that is just James May explaining things: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMrtJn-MOYmfqNgyPxx6NYMZnd25y4shc

edit: here's a condensed best of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtkbm87WLh4

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 26, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.inautonews.com/top-gear-and-clarkson-facing-lawsuit-for-racist-remark#.UzoJatxvZh5

:v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Seems legit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ooops.

quote:

In a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplayIn a statement, Wilman said: "When we used the word "slope" in the recent Top Gear Burma special it was a light-hearted wordplay joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and the local Asian man who was crossing it.

"We were not aware at the time, and it has subsequently been brought to our attention, that the word 'slope' is considered by some to be offensive and although it might not be widely recognised in the UK, we appreciate that it can be considered offensive to some here and overseas, for example in Australia and the USA.

He added: "If we had known that at the time we would not have broadcast the word in this context and regret any offence caused."

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/apr/23/top-gear-regrets-offensive-remark-jeremy-clarkson

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They didn't have that line in the US broadcast.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Taerkar posted:

They didn't have that line in the US broadcast.

Much like changing "Born in the USA" to some generic classical song (which I forget) for their Vietnam trip. :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
What a horseshit "apology."

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I watched the UK version and didn't even notice until that whole thing hit the news. Good job champions!

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Trabant posted:

What a horseshit "apology."
Fit the complaint perfectly then.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you believe that a highly produced, meticulously edited program with a history of going out of its way to be offensive to pretty much everyone just accidentally used that expression only to backtrack and (somehow?) blame The Colonies... Then sure, let's go with your point of view.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Trabant posted:

If you believe that a highly produced, meticulously edited program with a history of going out of its way to be offensive to pretty much everyone just accidentally used that expression only to backtrack and (somehow?) blame The Colonies... Then sure, let's go with your point of view.

I don't quite understand why people are so vehemetely defending them either. I didn't know the term, but though it was pretty funny when someone pointed it out. Do people actually get upset at very vaguely offensive terms? I mean, I know when someone calls me a cracker I just get FURIOUS.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

subx posted:

I don't quite understand why people are so vehemetely defending them either. I didn't know the term, but though it was pretty funny when someone pointed it out. Do people actually get upset at very vaguely offensive terms? I mean, I know when someone calls me a cracker I just get FURIOUS.

The P.C. police have a hard-on for Top Gear anyhow, since they are driving cars which hurts Mother Earth. Expensive ones, too. But, yeah, that is an offensive term. I can't say I've heard anyone under the age of DEAD A COUPLE DECADES use it in that manner, though.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

subx posted:

Do people actually get upset at very vaguely offensive terms?

Have you heard of Tumblr?

v that too.

corgski fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 23, 2014

Sair
May 11, 2007

subx posted:

I mean, I know when someone calls me a cracker I just get FURIOUS.

Not quite the same thing.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

The P.C. police have a hard-on for Top Gear anyhow, since they are driving cars which hurts Mother Earth. Expensive ones, too. But, yeah, that is an offensive term. I can't say I've heard anyone under the age of DEAD A COUPLE DECADES use it in that manner, though.

To be fair, Clarckson's remarks about climate change are loving braindead.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He is a buffoon that plays himself on TV.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ColdPie posted:

To be fair, Clarckson's remarks about climate change are loving braindead.

Taerkar posted:

He is a buffoon that plays himself on TV.

Pretty much. He is amusing, though. So is May. Not sure I could handle Hamster by himself, though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hamster doesn't work well by himself.

May is glorious. :allears:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Taerkar posted:

Hamster doesn't work well by himself.

May is glorious. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k Indeed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

West SAAB Story posted:

It's been a couple of years since I last heard it used, but it was a much more widely used racial insult than just old soldiers returned from Vietnam. I'm not buying the excuse from TG this time, they would have known it's a highly offensive racial term - and it certainly wasnt being used to be funny.

quote:

Do people actually get upset at very vaguely offensive terms?

Weeeeeeeell...... it's not a vaguely offensive term here. It's quite a blatant one.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Cat Terrist posted:

It's been a couple of years since I last heard it used, but it was a much more widely used racial insult than just old soldiers returned from Vietnam. I'm not buying the excuse from TG this time, they would have known it's a highly offensive racial term - and it certainly wasnt being used to be funny.

Weeeeeeeell...... it's not a vaguely offensive term here. It's quite a blatant one.

If one knows something wasn't meant to be offensive but they still take offense, they are dumb. I'm not championing Jeremy Clarkson, but I doubt it was intended to be actual real offense. Intent/context always matters, and in the context of comedy things like this really don't count in my book. See every comedian ever in a stand up routine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OldPueblo posted:

If one knows something wasn't meant to be offensive but they still take offense, they are dumb. I'm not championing Jeremy Clarkson, but I doubt it was intended to be actual real offense. Intent/context always matters, and in the context of comedy things like this really don't count in my book. See every comedian ever in a stand up routine.

That's where I dispute that it was "comedy" or accidental. The context was an Asian on a bridge and Clarkson making obviously racist remarks that were not in any way shape or form funny.

Come on, slope on a bridge? How else was that supposed to be seen?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I dont get it, some Indian celebrity is suing the bbc for a million pounds because she felt offended by a derogatory term for Asians? Why should she get a million pounds?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
It was pretty blatant, although I didn't catch it right away as I haven't heard the term used in years. I'm not even sure if I've ever heard it outside of old war movies.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I swear Asians are the most sensitive and easily offended group. This uproar and the recent #cancelcolbert bullshit. You don't see any other ethnic group so butt hurt over nothing. And I'm Chinese.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

lostleaf posted:

I swear Asians are the most sensitive and easily offended group. This uproar and the recent #cancelcolbert bullshit. You don't see any other ethnic group so butt hurt over nothing. And I'm Chinese.

I don't know man, I'm Jewish by birth. Nobody kvetches like my extended family.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

lostleaf posted:

thelightguy posted:

I don't know man, I'm Jewish by birth. Nobody kvetches like my extended family.

This is cute and all, but there's no beating uptight old WASPs for taking offense at every stupid loving thing in the entire cosmos. Their trump card is taking offense at people being offended by them. 99% of "Political Correctness Gone Mad" is actually "Old white people leaping at the chance to be offended that somebody actually called them out on being huge assholes."

Master :qq: race. :smuggo:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

That's where I dispute that it was "comedy" or accidental. The context was an Asian on a bridge and Clarkson making obviously racist remarks that were not in any way shape or form funny.

Come on, slope on a bridge? How else was that supposed to be seen?

I literally thought he was talking about the bridge being sloped. That's how I took it. Now that I know, it's funny. Because it's wordplay, not an actual attack on that man on the bridge.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
He who smelt it dealt it.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

OldPueblo posted:

I literally thought he was talking about the bridge being sloped. That's how I took it. Now that I know, it's funny. Because it's wordplay, not an actual attack on that man on the bridge.

Ya same here, they built a rubbish bridge, were so proud of it but still well it had a slope in it. This whole thing is ridiculous. Like, this is a thing were concerning ourselves over, when there is real racial poo poo happening in England, people halfway across the world worry about what an entertainment car show said.

Thanks News for keeping us abreast of whats important in the world. Celebrity news.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Morphix posted:

Ya same here, they built a rubbish bridge, were so proud of it but still well it had a slope in it. This whole thing is ridiculous. Like, this is a thing were concerning ourselves over, when there is real racial poo poo happening in England, people halfway across the world worry about what an entertainment car show said.

Thanks News for keeping us abreast of whats important in the world. Celebrity news.

If you fuckers didn't destroy News of the World over a little thing like stolen cell phone data, this never would have happened. <:mad:>

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

lostleaf posted:

But the person offended was a British movie star of Indian decent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

But the person offended was a British movie star of Indian decent!

I'm pretty sure Indian people are considered Asian. But then I never heard of Indians being ridiculed for slanted eyes. I don't know what rod that actress shoved up her own butt.