Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The Leper Colon V posted:

It's really hard to use Shedinja effectively without Swords Dance + Shadow Sneak, and even Smogon recommends that set, so they at least consider it legal. Protect and Will-O-Wisp aren't bad as the other two options, though, (and Protect is basically mandatory to scout out coverage moves.) If you're going competitive with it, give it a Focus Sash. If not, give it a Lum Berry.

Well, bear in mind that I have about six different ways to get an attack boost onto it, including an INCREDIBLY reliable weakness policy scolipede.

Let's assume that I am able to boost this thing as much as I need to. What would be 3 good moves to put on along with protect? Shadow sneak would be one obvious one.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

Doesn't the universal randomizer have those options built in?
Only updating the type chart (for Gen I) and updating move power/accuracy. Adding the physical/special split or any of the new move effects requires custom code.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ignite Memories posted:

Well, bear in mind that I have about six different ways to get an attack boost onto it, including an INCREDIBLY reliable weakness policy scolipede.

Let's assume that I am able to boost this thing as much as I need to. What would be 3 good moves to put on along with protect? Shadow sneak would be one obvious one.
Protect, Shadow Sneak, X-Scissor, and Will-o-Wisp, probably. Shedinja has pretty much absolute crap for a movepool. Also, for teammates you'll want a spinner/Defogger, a Heal Beller/Safeguard user, and maybe a weather starter too, since Shedinja dies to all status, all entry hazards minus Sticky Web, and Sandstorm/Hail.

The other problem is that Shedinja's weaknesses are Flying, Rock, Ghost, Fire, and Dark, and all five of those are loving everywhere now:

Flying: Talonflame and other Brave Bird users, Mega Pinsir, Skarmory (also has SR)
Rock: Stealth Rock period, and Rock Slide/Stone Edge are everywhere because they form one half of the EdgeQuake combo as well as help with taking out Talonflame
Tyranitar: All variants can easily kill Shedinja in multiple ways, forces a switch automatically thanks to Sandstorm, and can Pursuit trap for a guaranteed OHKO.
Ghost: Aegislash, Gengar, Psychics running Shadow Ball for coverage, and a lot of Ghosts run Will-O-Wisp anyway
Fire: Talonflame again, both Mega Charizards, Heatran, any Fire type really
Dark: Bisharp, Absol, any Dark type really, a bunch of stuff is now running Knock Off thanks to the buff, Foul Play users, Pursuit users, Sucker Punch users, and again, Tyranitar.

Shedinja has gotten really hard to use, especially since Steel lost it's Ghost and Dark resistance, so more stuff is running Ghost/Dark moves. The other problem is Shedinja can't really threaten any of the above types either.

E: This applies for both Wifi and Showdown; some of the guys I use on Wifi who easily kill Shedinja include Rock Slide/Crunch DD Mega-Tyranitar, Rock Slide Garchomp (I've flinch-haxed at least two wins, Rock Slide is worth it), Sacred Fire/Stone Edge Entei, Talonflame, Aegislash, hell just about everything has some way of killing Shedinja.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 23, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
God dammit whoever thought up the requirement to fight Spiritomb in Gen 4 was a loving sadist. :qq:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaziken386 posted:

God dammit whoever thought up the requirement to fight Spiritomb in Gen 4 was a loving sadist. :qq:

It's one of those gameplay ideas that makes perfect sense when your players live in a place with the population density of Tokyo, but absolutely nowhere else.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 23, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It's one of those gameplay ideas that makes perfect sense when your players live in a place with the population density of Tokoyo, but absolutely nowhere else.

It wouldn't be as bad if you could just talk to one person 32 times. But no, you have to talk to them, leave the underground, and go back in if you want it to count more than once.
Gaaammeeefreeeaaakkk!!!!! :argh:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh, oops, my bad! I was skimming the thread to see if anyone found it before, but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Edit: I've decided to try combining that patch with various aspects of FireRed Throwback, mainly so I can have the GB Player.

Was it just the GB Player patch that was compatible? I've tried mixing and matching with the various patches, but none seem to work.

Actually, on further trial and error, it's looking like Extras is the only one that works :v:

Raserys fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 23, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raserys posted:

Was it just the GB Player patch that was compatible? I've tried mixing and matching with the various patches, but none seem to work.

Actually, on further trial and error, it's looking like Extras is the only one that works :v:

I tried like three different ones, they all seemed to work.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Aaaaaaaagh. Maybe it's the order I'm doing them in, when they work there's generally something wrong with the moves, like Scratch or Growl being hosed up.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Gee wondertrade thanks for the level 100 shiny Entei. That thing must be hacked right? Too bad Entei sucks so much.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ogmius815 posted:

Gee wondertrade thanks for the level 100 shiny Entei. That thing must be hacked right? Too bad Entei sucks so much.

Not necessarily. Shiny versions of the Johto beasts were event mons a few years ago.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Strange Quark posted:

Not necessarily. Shiny versions of the Johto beasts were event mons a few years ago.

Well this one knows all special fire moves and is 100% terrible at everything except being a shiny Japanese legendary to look at in the box.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I just realized that the Feebas I've been leveling up with the exp share for the last hour or so actually doesn't have a modest nature, because, in Gen 4,holding an everstone doesn't guarantee the child will have the same nature. If the mother is holding it, there's only a 50% chance of the nature passing down. So if I want a modest feebas, I have to already have a female modest feebas on my other game.

Gamefreak whyyyyy :negative:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I need advice on builds for 2 mons - Togekiss and Shedinja.

Togekiss currently has air slash, roost, nasty plot and baton pass, but I feel like I need thunder wave on there if I want to take advantage of serene grace more. The problem is, if I get rid of nasty plot or baton pass I can't get either one back so I need to be double-sure if I'm gonna do it. I know BPass isn't common on togekiss but I have a lot of BPass pokemon in general, and so far this is the only one that can nasty plot too. So it's something to consider. I do already have a swagkey, which fills a very similar niche.

I'd keep the current moveset, or dump Baton Pass (unless you have something that can pass a Nasty Plot to it). Togekiss can actually do a lot of damage after one Nasty Plot, enough to just go for the kill with Air Slash rather than relying on hax; it's a little slow to sweep, but its bulk helps make up for that. I've been running a Salac Berry Air Slash/Fire Blast/Roost/Nasty Plot with decent results.

King in the East
Jul 23, 2013
So I've been playing the games since Gen I, yet I still know next to nothing about competitive battling/IVs and EVs, etc. However, I just got Wonder Traded a female Vulpix with Drought, and apparently perfect IVs (correct me if I'm wrong; I assume this because the IV judge guy mentions all of my stats and then says they "can't be beat"). I have no idea how viable Vulpix and Ninetales are, but I've always found them to be pretty :3:, so I kinda want to raise the Vulpix now. How do I breed it to get another Vulpix with perfect IVs? I want to be able to name it. I read the OP, but I guess I'm an idiot because I still don't quite understand breeding and stat inheritance. I do understand how to breed for natures with the Everstone, though (my Vulpix is Timid)

King in the East fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 24, 2014

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I would only consider using Shedinja in doubles battles after Skill Swapping Sturdy on to it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

King in the East posted:

So I've been playing the games since Gen I, yet I still know next to nothing about competitive battling/IVs and EVs, etc. However, I just got Wonder Traded a female Vulpix with Drought, and apparently perfect IVs (correct me if I'm wrong; I assume this because the IV judge guy mentions all of my stats and then says they "can't be beat"). I have no idea how viable Vulpix and Ninetales are, but I've always found them to be pretty :3, so I kinda want to raise the Vulpix now. How do I breed it to get another Vulpix with perfect IVs? I want to be able to name it. I read the OP, but I guess I'm an idiot because I still don't quite understand breeding and stat inheritance. I do understand how to breed for natures with the Everstone, though (my Vulpix is Timid)

You need to get something else with good IVs (if your Vulpix is a male you have to get a Ditto) that can breed with your Vulpix. Give one of them a Destiny Knot and the baby will inherit 5 IVs from among the parent's IVs. Even if you have another 6 IV parent you will still have one random IV since pokemon have 6 stats. Keep breeding until one of them gets a dump IV that Vulpix doesn't need (I think they're special attackers, so if all 5 are perfect except for Attack that would be ideal).

e: Oh, also, look up to see if Vulpix gets any good egg moves you want it to use and get those on there.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

King in the East posted:

So I've been playing the games since Gen I, yet I still know next to nothing about competitive battling/IVs and EVs, etc. However, I just got Wonder Traded a female Vulpix with Drought, and apparently perfect IVs (correct me if I'm wrong; I assume this because the IV judge guy mentions all of my stats and then says they "can't be beat"). I have no idea how viable Vulpix and Ninetales are, but I've always found them to be pretty :3, so I kinda want to raise the Vulpix now. How do I breed it to get another Vulpix with perfect IVs? I want to be able to name it. I read the OP, but I guess I'm an idiot because I still don't quite understand breeding and stat inheritance. I do understand how to breed for natures with the Everstone, though (my Vulpix is Timid)

Ninetales' main asset is Drought, which means that if you're thinking of using it competitively you want to put it in a team that can take good advantage of the sunlight it induces. Sun isn't considered the strongest weather at the moment but you can certainly build a viable team around it if you try. You'll want to look for things with strong Fire-type attacks since they'll get even stronger in sunlight, but also Grass-types with Chlorophyll (doubles the mon's speed in sun), so that your team can deal with the Ground and Water-types that your Fire-types will have trouble with.

The real problem with Ninetales is that Mega-Charizard Y now exists and is generally a stronger Drought user. Of course, if your team relies heavily on sun then there's no reason you can't use both, so that you can still set up sunlight even if one of them gets KOed.

As far as breeding for IVs goes, what you want to do is breed it with another compatible Pokemon that has as many perfect IVs as possible and make sure one of the parents is equipped with the Destiny Knot item. The Destiny Knot causes a total of five IVs to be passed down from the parents (selected randomly from between both parents) instead of the normal three, so the more perfect IVs you have between both parents, the better your chances of getting a lot of perfect IVs on the offspring.

King in the East
Jul 23, 2013

Travis343 posted:

You need to get something else with good IVs (if your Vulpix is a male you have to get a Ditto) that can breed with your Vulpix. Give one of them a Destiny Knot and the baby will inherit 5 IVs from among the parent's IVs. Even if you have another 6 IV parent you will still have one random IV since pokemon have 6 stats. Keep breeding until one of them gets a dump IV that Vulpix doesn't need (I think they're special attackers, so if all 5 are perfect except for Attack that would be ideal).

e: Oh, also, look up to see if Vulpix gets any good egg moves you want it to use and get those on there.

Awesome, thanks. If I managed to find a good IV Ditto to use for more breeding, could I still use that even if my Vulpix is female?

Edit: also thanks for the additional info Thuryl

King in the East fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

King in the East posted:

Awesome, thanks. If I managed to find a good IV Ditto to use for more breeding, could I still use that even if my Vulpix is female?

Yeah absolutely. The baby will always be the same species as the mother so if your vulpix was a boy, a ditto is the only way to get it to make more vulpixes (vulpii?) But you can breed anything with a ditto regardless of gender.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

.TakaM posted:

I would only consider using Shedinja in doubles battles after Skill Swapping Sturdy on to it.

Just give it a Focus Sash so it can survive a hit. Not weather, or hazards, but a single attack at least.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you might use it in doubles, Heat Wave is a good thing to breed onto it. Otherwise, none of its egg moves are must-haves. Maybe Hex if you're gonna run Will-o-Wisp.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Downside: I've reached Tyrogue in my Pokedexing, which means I nwo have to beat the odds and score a Htmontop.

Upside: That means a lot of Hitmonlees and Hitmonchans to toss into Wonder Trading! I could also potentially throw some into the trading thread, if random-rear end Lees and Chans sound like things people would want.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Downside: I've reached Tyrogue in my Pokedexing, which means I nwo have to beat the odds and score a Htmontop.

Upside: That means a lot of Hitmonlees and Hitmonchans to toss into Wonder Trading! I could also potentially throw some into the trading thread, if random-rear end Lees and Chans sound like things people would want.

Can't you just cancel the evolution if Attack and Defense aren't matched? As long as it's on the field, it should show the stats when you level it up so you know when it's good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think if you want a Tyrogue you first make sure that Atk and Def IVs are the same, Train it to max EVs in both (or something else) and then evolve it? If you need to remove the EVs later you can always do that.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
My friend and I just hit 100 consecutive victories in the Maison Super Multi using the combination of my Mat Block Greninja with his Quiver Dance Volcarona. Take that, people who say Greninja isn't viable in doubles :smug: I know multi is a lot easier than doubles, but it still counts for something, right? They actually don't do anything special for battle 100, but here's 50 and 100 anyway.

P39W-WWWW-WWW6-AHKP
2NQG-WWWW-WWW6-C2EB

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Thanks for the warning about the Kanto legendary birds fleeing as soon as they show up.

Just today I encountered Moltres for the first time so I didn't get all confused/angry when he fled. Before I read it here I figured it worked like past generations where you get ONE TURN to attack before it flees.

GameFreak!!

(Who cares about Moltres anyway, Articuno and Zapdos are both better)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pureauthor posted:

I think if you want a Tyrogue you first make sure that Atk and Def IVs are the same, Train it to max EVs in both (or something else) and then evolve it? If you need to remove the EVs later you can always do that.

A friend of mine suggested going for the Audino trainers in the Battle Chateau, which would work since they give HP EVs.

No matter what I'm gonna have a bunch of Pokemon that will evolve into things I don't want. Only difference in analyzing versusjust brute-forcing it is that I'll be benching/trading away Tyrogues instead of Hitmons.

Blaziken386 posted:

Can't you just cancel the evolution if Attack and Defense aren't matched? As long as it's on the field, it should show the stats when you level it up so you know when it's good.

This could work too, but I kind of prefer the prospect of having a bunch of disposable Hitmons over trying to pressure one Tyrogue into becoming a Hitmontop.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 24, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spectacle Rock posted:

Thanks for the warning about the Kanto legendary birds fleeing as soon as they show up.

Just today I encountered Moltres for the first time so I didn't get all confused/angry when he fled. Before I read it here I figured it worked like past generations where you get ONE TURN to attack before it flees.

GameFreak!!

(Who cares about Moltres anyway, Articuno and Zapdos are both better)

You might want to care because you only get one of the birds in a playthrough. :v: Which you get depends on what starter you chose I think.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You might want to care because you only get one of the birds in a playthrough. :v: Which you get depends on what starter you chose I think.

I think you get the one that your starter beats type-wise. So Froakie-pickers get Moltres.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys what's a good EV spread for Aegislash?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cleretic posted:

I think you get the one that your starter beats type-wise. So Froakie-pickers get Moltres.

Not really, no. Fennekin gets Zapdos and Chespin gets Articuno.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Pureauthor posted:

252 HP/252 Attack or 252 HP/252 Sp. Atk depending on whether it's a physical or special attacker.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

It only really matters if you don't have any of their previous gen games: FR/LG, Gale of Darkness, Platinum, or HG/SS. I've got Leaf Green, Gale of Darkness, Platinum on a flashcart, and SS, so I've got way too many copies of the legendary birds. Articuno can bite me, I'm not chasing that bastard around; I'll just stumble across him enough times eventually.:colbert:

Pureauthor posted:

Depends what you want him to do. If you're going pure physical or special attacker, 252 HP then 252 in Attack or Special attack with a Brave or Quiet nature (and 0 Speed IV) respectively, and dump the remaining 4 in one of the defenses. If you want to go mixed, I'm not sure on that.

This setup is what I use on Wifi and it works great for me there, and also stomps the absolute poo poo out of the Battle Maison triples. Showdown may be different.

I run 252HP/252Atk/4 Sp Def
Brave@Leftovers
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-King's Shield
-Iron Head/Swords Dance

Aegislash is a boss. Seriously, he's got a cool design, excellent typing, great stats, an awesome and unique ability, and a very nice movepool. In game, he's not to difficult to find, and needs no breeding or egg move crap, so you can just catch one and get all the moves it needs by level up or TM. He's also a nice False Swiper for recruiting other mons.

I have to give Gamefreak credit, they knocked it out of the loving park with Aegislash; it's now one of my favorite Pokemon.

E: drat it, beaten on the EV spread, but I've got more technical info in my post.:colbert:
E2\/: Yep, I should say I had way too many copies of the legendary birds, now I've got extra copies of some of some gen 4/5/6 legendaries instead.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Eh, spare legendaries are good trade fodder for other legendaries. I filled in the few holes in my dex by trading away some of my spare gen1 birds.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Is there a list anywhere of the attacks which had their names revised in Gen 6?
I noticed High Jump Kick, Soft-Boiled, Self-Destruct, Feint Attack, Sand Attack, Thunder Punch, Sonic Boom, Bubble Beam, Poison Powder, Thunder Shock, Dragon Breath, Ancient Power, Extreme Speed, Conversion2, Feather Dance and Smelling Salts have all been corrected. Some of them look just plain weird after so many years.

Oddly, they chose to change Sand-Attack but not Mud-Slap! Lock-On also remains.

I am probably the only person who cares about this but I am not ashamed of being a grammar nerd.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Blaziken386 posted:

Pureauthor posted:

At least in Generation 5, in my experience a Tyrogue with equal Attack and Defense will sometimes evolve into Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan. I think the test the game applies is actually whether the stat calculation for Hitmontop gives equal stats, rather than the calculation for Tyrogue. I don't know whether this changed in Generation 6. In one way, Generation 6 is going to be harder because you no longer get to see what something is evolving into while you can still cancel it. Best to save just before you get it to evolve, so you can go back if it turns out to be the wrong thing. The thing about making sure it has the same IVs and EVs would also work (assuming a Nature that doesn't affect Attack or Defense) but is possibly more work.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
After 3 hours, team butterfly emerges victorious over the rock gym. I'm not sure that would have been possible if Masquerain didn't have Intimidate. 4 butterflies sacrificed for the greater good, and Butterfree comes out at half health. After it was done I remembered O-powers existed.

Still better outcome than the first gym where I had a Butterfree with 1HP and a fainted Sewpa at the end.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I've decided to restart Y again because I thought of a fun gimmick but I need some input.

I want to come up with a team of 6 pokemon, preferably with 3 evolutionary stages each. I then want to match each of those up to a ghost type that sort of fits. I'll start with the non-ghosts, and if something faints I'll replace it with its matching ghost. If the ghost faints, I'm out of a pokemon.

I'm thinking these sets sort-of work:

Ludicolo -> Gourgeist
Delphox -> Mismagius
Some humanform -> Cofagrigus
Yanma -> Shedinja
Tentacruel - Jellicent
Glalie - Froslass
Sudowoodo - Trevenant
Any Dragon - Giratina
Voltorb - Gastly
Golem - Golurk

Any others I'm missing? As it stands I'll probably start with

Lotad, Fennekin, Tentacool, Geodude, Voltorb, and maybe Hawlucha to cover Fly once I get it and then to be a Cofagrigus. The nice thing is that this gives me an excuse to breed good ones of all these pokemon! That's 12 breeding projects I can work on!

I'm putting the Savanna Vivillons on hold until I restart in English because it's annoying not to know what my moves are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Blhue posted:

Eh, spare legendaries are good trade fodder for other legendaries. I filled in the few holes in my dex by trading away some of my spare gen1 birds.

Yeah, at the moment a Moltres will get you a Regirock.

What you really want is a L30 Entei - you can literally get any legendary you want for that it seems (this is because the only L30 Entei is a locked shiny event one)

• Locked thread