Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Tapping isn't part of the cost, the cost is just discarding a card, so they can make it hexproof after attacking with it.

Okay, but I really don't think something with discarding a card as a cost will warp the format more than something like revelation. Scry 3 is nice but it is not completely game changing. Quote me when I'm wrong though :)

Samael fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I'm looking forward to all those incredible Azorius cards rotating out not because I don't like Esper or control decks in general, but because I'd really like to see the main control deck not be base blue-white for a while. How about blue-black, or Grixis?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well, (some) people really dislike counters, card drawing, discard, and land destruction, so that eliminates the best blue, black, and red control strategies, leaving Green and White. Maybe if they print some good control enchantments in the next few sets we can see WG control be a real thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Okay, but I really don't think something with discarding a card as a cost will warp the format more than something like revelation. Scry 3 is nice but it is not completely game changing. Quote me when I'm wrong though :)

I don't know that Sphinx is going to be part of a successful control deck necessarily but the part that people hate about playing against control "They always have the perfect card!!!" is going to be happening an awful lot more if a persistent scry 3 is playable. That Sphinx will cause a lot more of that feelbad than Revelation ever has.

It's just funny to me because every rotation you see a lot of "good that control card I loving hate is going to be gone and nothing in the new set bothers me" and then by the next rotation it happens again, and again, and again.

Smashing Link posted:

Well, (some) people really dislike counters, card drawing, discard, and land destruction, so that eliminates the best blue, black, and red control strategies, leaving Green and White. Maybe if they print some good control enchantments in the next few sets we can see WG control be a real thing.

Players that are not super familiar with what might be in a deck due to being new or just not paying attention to that sort of stuff really hate cards they don't expect interacting with them in those ways. Interaction like that also get in the way of Magical Christmas Land, which is a place a lot of people live. Land destruction is probably too punishing out of all of those effects because you keep most starting hands under the assumption that you will have the mana to cast your spells. Discard and counters and removal all have less of a drastic effect if you weren't expecting any kind of interaction other than casting dudes.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know that Sphinx is going to be part of a successful control deck necessarily but the part that people hate about playing against control "They always have the perfect card!!!" is going to be happening an awful lot more if a persistent scry 3 is playable. That Sphinx will cause a lot more of that feelbad than Revelation ever has.

It's just funny to me because every rotation you see a lot of "good that control card I loving hate is going to be gone and nothing in the new set bothers me" and then by the next rotation it happens again, and again, and again.

Sorry, this is my first standard "season" so if it happens every time, I apologize. I just don't like that card at all, since it forces control to be azorius splashing something and I want control to be a bit more varied than that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'm looking forward to all those incredible Azorius cards rotating out not because I don't like Esper or control decks in general, but because I'd really like to see the main control deck not be base blue-white for a while. How about blue-black, or Grixis?

As long as Blue is the best colour at answering cards before they come into play, and White the best at answering cards after, this will not happen.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It happens every year during rotation when new decks pop up. Cards that were not used (Pack Rat, Nightveil, Grizzly Salvage, Frostburn Weird) last year all of a sudden find a home. Its almost like, gasp, Wizards plans these things out a year before to make future decks viable!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Sorry, this is my first standard "season" so if it happens every time, I apologize. I just don't like that card at all, since it forces control to be azorius splashing something and I want control to be a bit more varied than that.

Oh yeah totally I get that. Unfortunately Wizards design lately seems to be based on having huge swingy effects like that, so you see a lot of homogenous decks. I can't remember the last time there were multiple viable control decks. I feel the same way about generic red aggro decks because I find them very boring to play against.

I am sorry that your first experience versus control has been two years of playing against the same card though, I know how boring that can be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as Blue is the best colour at answering cards before they come into play, and White the best at answering cards after, this will not happen.

In fairness, black is usually pretty good at answering cards after they come into play. UB control has been a real force in the past when black has had a solid sweeper to work with.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Oh yeah totally I get that. Unfortunately Wizards design lately seems to be based on having huge swingy effects like that, so you see a lot of homogenous decks. I can't remember the last time there were multiple viable control decks. I feel the same way about generic red aggro decks because I find them very boring to play against.

UW seems to be a common theme because they have never stopped printing Wrath and O-Ring effects. I remember UB being good for a little while in Scars block, but for the most part, it's been U/W for a while.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I would love to see Control's next big thing become that Sphinx; Revelation is just a bullshit card because it essentially resets the game for the Control player and the other guy has spent so much time just getting the game in winning distance via attrition. It's just very good in a blunt way and has seen the maximum amount of play from the moment RtR was released and will continue to do so until it rotates out of Standard. Prognostic Sphinx would involve a lot more skill in knowing what to keep and what to Scry away compared to just "tap out (except for counter mana in the mirror), gain X life, draw X cards, masturbate furiously."

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

I am sorry that your first experience versus control has been two years of playing against the same card though, I know how boring that can be.

I have been spoiled because I technically started playing when shards of alara came out and I did a ton of sealed with shards/alara reborn/conflux with my friends and that was a ton of fun. Then I started playing again when M14 came out and other than a few decks (MURDERGOATS, that biovisionary deck looks cool!) everything else has been kind of dull. Combined with modern items going up in price and being told by people "You should have bought your fetches when they were $10 :smuggo:" it has not been the best introduction for me so far.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

MrBling posted:

Watching Efro lose never stops being funny. Such a poor loser.

What'd he do? He's always rubbed me the wrong way whenever I see him getting into some slapfight or argument over something extremely dumb on Twitter.

Also sad I missed all the cool Legacy shenanigans today :\

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They could totally reprint Damnation after Verdict rotates out!! It could happen, shut up :(

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

morning wood posted:

Agreed. +5 points for Gryffindor.

Please don't cross the nerd streams.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Watch some block constructed with brettwjayne's deck and you'll see how insane it is. Sphinx's issue right now is that blue and white have much better cards to cast than it to close the game out. It is possible Elspeth remains the go to win con for white decks but Sphinx has some incredible strengths that might be able to be seen come rotation to push Aetherling out as the go to blue creature.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Aetherling, any predictions on the next big creature for control? Aetherling, Blood Baron of Vizkopa, and Obzedat, Ghost Council are all rotating out at once.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

Speaking of Aetherling, any predictions on the next big creature for control? Aetherling, Blood Baron of Vizkopa, and Obzedat, Ghost Council are all rotating out at once.

Yeah. The bigass blue dude printed in JOU HUE.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Serious question - would making Rev sorcery-speed have caused it to be less oppressive? That adds another step to its decision tree, if nothing else.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

a dozen swans posted:

Serious question - would making Rev sorcery-speed have caused it to be less oppressive? That adds another step to its decision tree, if nothing else.
I would say a lot less. Having to do it main phase, not being able to hold up counter magic, for last standard season while rareish there were times you would snapcaster flashback it for a few cards and life, and lots of other scenarios. Sphinx at sorcery probably changes Control to a more creature/planeswalker tapout deck?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

morning wood posted:

Prognostic Sphnix seems like a decent candidate. Hard to kill, reasonably evasive, and that scry effect means you get to shape your game moving forward.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Andrew Shrout is a genius at picking matches. We get what will most likely be a super quick infect match so that they can swap to the second match when this finishes.

Oh and if anyone missed it yesterday apparently they're gonna have Shrout full time in his role. He was talking about not having the itch to play as much any more and he wanted to move on from playing into a different role.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Boxman posted:

Prognostic Sphnix seems like a decent candidate. Hard to kill, reasonably evasive, and that scry effect means you get to shape your game moving forward.

Yeah, I think Prog Sphinx is the leading candidate. I'd love it to be Tromokratis, but it costing actual 7, rather than Aetherlings fake 7, AND it doesn't help you shape your turns like Prog Sphinx does makes it an easy choice.

Talking of control decks, everyone keeps talking about how these decks are so different to old school control decks and how they run so few counters. I kinda want to try and see if I can make an old style control deck work.

4 Dissolve
2 Cancel
4 Negate
4 Render Silent
2 Dispel
3 Psychic Strike
2 Syncopate

4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
4 Detention Sphere

2 Prognostic Sphinx
1 Aetherling

4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Watery Grave
4 Godless Shrine
4 Island

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

mehall posted:

Yeah, I think Prog Sphinx is the leading candidate. I'd love it to be Tromokratis, but it costing actual 7, rather than Aetherlings fake 7, AND it doesn't help you shape your turns like Prog Sphinx does makes it an easy choice.

Talking of control decks, everyone keeps talking about how these decks are so different to old school control decks and how they run so few counters. I kinda want to try and see if I can make an old style control deck work.
We have another thread for this :P but if you really want to go control heavy splash into red for 4 Counterflux. When you positively want to win a control mirror, counterflux and render silent will do it easily. You even get stuff like Izzet Charm where all three modes can be useful. Probably see a nice uptick in American Control when the UR scry land comes out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mehall posted:

4 Dissolve
2 Cancel
4 Negate
4 Render Silent
2 Dispel
3 Psychic Strike
2 Syncopate

4 Thoughtseize
4 Duress
4 Detention Sphere

2 Prognostic Sphinx
1 Aetherling

4 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Watery Grave
4 Godless Shrine
4 Island

I think with effective counterspells getting a little more expensive and effective creatures getting a little less expensive, it certainly wouldn't be a top-tier deck. Bearing in mind that your list is a thought experiment, but I would almost certainly fit Essence Scatter in there somewhere.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

That's some good prizes there :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm told the GPT I was at might have broken the attendence record for an event of that class, at 114 players. Came 35 with BW Midrange, then pulled two Cornucopia in my 3 prize packs. Rough with the smooth.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

C-Euro: Yeah, you're right, I'd probably cut the Syncopates for them, or maybe the rest of the Cancels

Korak posted:

We have another thread for this :P but if you really want to go control heavy splash into red for 4 Counterflux. When you positively want to win a control mirror, counterflux and render silent will do it easily. You even get stuff like Izzet Charm where all three modes can be useful. Probably see a nice uptick in American Control when the UR scry land comes out.

But then what colour do you cut, as you're super dependent on making sure you have the answer ready BEFORE they can play it, which is the downside to it. Though, it should have Supreme Verdict in it if I'm white, or Aetherize if I really want to cut white. If you cut white you lose D-Sphere though, and if you cut black you lose your early game discard, which is where a lot of game comes from I think.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Hey What a Judas, I hope your wallet is prepared to handle this sick miscut I just found!

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
Isn't the Prognostic Sphinx too susceptible to stuff like devour flesh to be a replacement for Aetherling?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

It, too, will rotate out with RTR.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

traslin posted:

Isn't the Prognostic Sphinx too susceptible to stuff like devour flesh to be a replacement for Aetherling?

Devour Flesh and Far/Away cycle with Aetherling. I don't think there's anything similar on Theros block yet. We'll see what Journey, M15, and the new block bring I guess.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, I mean we've only seen 40% or whatever of post-rotation cards but only Agent of the Fates has a sacrifice effect right now, right?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wow. SCG LA Legacy Kassari is already in the top 8 with Mono Green 12 Post. This should be really fun.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

suicidesteve posted:

Devour Flesh and Far/Away cycle with Aetherling. I don't think there's anything similar on Theros block yet. We'll see what Journey, M15, and the new block bring I guess.

Forgot about those cards cycling too. Fated retribution and planar cleansing hit it though.

Edit - Celestial flare too.

traslin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 24, 2014

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Hey What a Judas, I hope your wallet is prepared to handle this sick miscut I just found!

Pffffffffshh that's off-center, buddy!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

traslin posted:

Forgot about those cards cycling too. Fated retribution and planar cleansing hit it though.

That's a good reason not to play it in this standard, but what finisher is there in Theros block that can avoid those right now?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Kabanaw posted:

That's a good reason not to play it in this standard, but what finisher is there in Theros block that can avoid those right now?

Anything that is indestructible?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kabanaw posted:

Elspeth, because Planar Cleansing is also rotating, but that doesn't mean the Sphinx can't go in the same deck as Elspeth since they play well together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I'm a little confused on how the block rotation works in standard. I understand that the Ravnica block will rotate out but what set replaces it and when does this occur?

• Locked thread