Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Though it's fine if you've got the filter wrench and a long enough extension.

At my old shop we got chewed out multiple times for losing that loving tool since nothing else would get the filter off; turns out it was one dude leaving the tool on the cartridge when he was done. There were multiple occasions I'd lift a Prius up and find our tool stuck on there (this was after one of our upper techs bought his own set).

All the other brands you can stick a normal filter wrench, or even the plier type in a pinch, but Toyota are special little snowflakes like that. I also love how you can't just remove a plug to drain the cartridge, you have to use the lovely little drain tool that comes with the new filter:

gently caress that retarded little tool. Sometimes I'd get cars coming in for their first ever oil change and the drain bung would be so tight (from the factory) that it would undo the entire filter housing and turn the underside of the car into a complete scatfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

MetaJew posted:

I am not good with MS Paint

I did this in my browser:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Checking/adding power steering fluid on a GM 3800, anyone?

:suicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^lmao loving GM. Love the battery location on those, too.^

Slavvy posted:

gently caress that retarded little tool. Sometimes I'd get cars coming in for their first ever oil change and the drain bung would be so tight (from the factory) that it would undo the entire filter housing and turn the underside of the car into a complete scatfest.

Oh, every single time. Most of the cars I had in, as soon as I felt that the plug wasn't coming loose I'd just sigh and unscrew the housing, letting it all dribble down. Then I'd take the housing and lock it in a vise, and loosen the plug that way; replace the o-ring and lube with a little oil, and it'll actually be usable next time the car's in.

God drat I do not miss lube shop work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I like the battery location on the Solstice a bit better.

To clarify: http://www.cherod.com/solstice/HowTos/batteryReplacement.htm

quote:

Start to finish this was less than one hour

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Hahahahaa the corolla comes with a CVT there? Sweet god.

The current one does here too:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are you guys saying that there are modern cars which have open paper oil filters like this? This is irritating 1980s technology even on bikes, which lag behind cars in technology. That's just offensive.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are you guys saying that there are modern cars which have open paper oil filters like this? This is irritating 1980s technology even on bikes, which lag behind cars in technology. That's just offensive.

Sure, all modern BMWs, Ecotec motors, some Volvos, some Toyotas, etc.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mercedes were using that type of filter during the 60s and 70s. Not sure about current models.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

poo poo, my 3.8 Hyundai has a paper filter. It's more common than you think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, that filter type is common as balls. There are also types that have end-caps which are made of thick felty paper stuff. You force the end onto a barbed pipe in the filter cap, which I guess somehow makes the paper seal against oil flow. Then when you screw the filter housing on, the other end also gets impaled on the feed pipe.

Root Bear posted:

Checking/adding power steering fluid on a GM 3800, anyone?

:suicide:

To be fair, the engine was designed for RWD applications. It's just plain ol' laziness and cheapness.

dissss posted:

The current one does here too:

Christ.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well you see it's cheaper because you're only buying the paper element, not a whole expensive metal canister! (never mind the aforementioned service issues, or the fact that their comparative rarity means economies of scale give spin-ons the advantage again)

The only real advantage to cartridge filters is that it's "easier" to mount the filter remotely/up top, but even that can be done if you care to (the Tacoma and 08-10 Passat 2.0 spring to mind); it's pointless bullshit that complicates service, especially when they're just stuck in the same tight undercar crevice as older spin-on locations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
I remember reading that you get better flow through a paper filter than a can filter. Haven't tested it myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

televiper posted:

I remember reading that you get better flow through a paper filter than a can filter. Haven't tested it myself.

But....the paper gets put into a can.......it's just a less replaceable one.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I love the cartridge filter in my BMW. You can change the filter without changing the oil (if you're running full synthetic and want to replace the filter at a more frequent interval, for instance), you can visually inspect the oil itself from up top without having to drain it, you don't have to fumble around with a guaranteed messy (and potentially hot) filter in an awkward location under the car, you can actually get a look at the condition of the filter element without cutting it open or destroying it, etc. I wish all my cars had them.

Placing a cartridge filter on the underside of the car, however, is loving stupid.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Having a filter nicely located at the top of the engine that doesn't dump oil out by design is anything but irritating.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fucknag posted:

it's pointless bullshit that complicates service, especially when they're just stuck in the same tight undercar crevice as older spin-on locations.

If this complicates service for you, then sweet lord don't work on European cars.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Carteret posted:

If this complicates service for you, then sweet lord don't work on European cars.

Having to get a special wrench to remove the cartridge, vs. just using a plier wrench? Needing to hunt around/buy various permutations of odd-size Torx bits, 12-point drive and triple-square bits? Sounds about right.

And yeah I agree having them up top negates most of the annoyances, it's specifically the non-euro brands that, as mentioned, keep them down below.

Special mention, though, goes to transition-model Ford trucks/Panther cars with the modular V8, when they switched from parallelogram to rack-and-pinion steering and kept the filter in the same place, making it about 5 times less accessible due to the rack being in the way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Changing the oil on a modern BMW is super simple. Don't need a special tool to take out the cartridge, it doesn't spill, and you can drain the pan without removing any underbody panels.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
First time I changed the oil on my e82, I groaned at the thought of taking off the underbody paneling.

That trap door that lets you get at the oil drain bolt owns.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CharlesM posted:

The explanation for that is the hole is something for manufacturing, not an access hole.......:doh: I dunno. It would have been perfect if it was in the right place, though.

I thought I remember hearing that it lines up on the 2.0 engines, but not the 2.3/turbos. I promptly cut a new one in the right spot for mine after the second oil change of taking off the undertray when half the bolts were seized.

Also recently converted to a spin on filter, which is nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

opengl128 posted:

I thought I remember hearing that it lines up on the 2.0 engines, but not the 2.3/turbos. I promptly cut a new one in the right spot for mine after the second oil change of taking off the undertray when half the bolts were seized.

Also recently converted to a spin on filter, which is nice.

This is what I heard as well. I was going to do both of these to my Mazda 3, but it took a truck up the rear end before I reached the first oil change interval.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Oil changes on motorcycles suck more than you could think. Most of the time sport bikes need to have the mid or lower fairing removed to access the filter. After that, you get about 6" between the engine case and hot exhaust header. The filter wrenches are stupid expensive too - $70 OEM Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki filter wrench, $40 OEM Suzuki wrench. Universal ones are garbage - incorrectly sized to fit on or pop off easily or have the nut / 3/8" drive break off.

Big loving cruisers are just as annoying. Honda VT750's come to mind. The drain plug is hidden in a recess in the case, behind a coolant hose that you can't move to fit a socket past, on the left side of the engine. If the bike is on its side stand, a regular length wrench won't fit the angle to grab the drain plug and leave you with room to break it lose. The Yamaha XV1900 is just like that, but with less room between the drain plug and frame. Oh, and there are two of those for the engine and one for the oil tank. 0.5 hr flat rate for an oil change on those. Kill me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My Husqvarna had two oil drain plugs within inches of one another. One required a 12mm socket, and the other required a gigantic hex driver for reasons known only to :sweden:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

DefaultPeanut posted:

Oil changes on motorcycles suck more than you could think. Most of the time sport bikes need to have the mid or lower fairing removed to access the filter. After that, you get about 6" between the engine case and hot exhaust header. The filter wrenches are stupid expensive too - $70 OEM Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki filter wrench, $40 OEM Suzuki wrench. Universal ones are garbage - incorrectly sized to fit on or pop off easily or have the nut / 3/8" drive break off.

Big loving cruisers are just as annoying. Honda VT750's come to mind. The drain plug is hidden in a recess in the case, behind a coolant hose that you can't move to fit a socket past, on the left side of the engine. If the bike is on its side stand, a regular length wrench won't fit the angle to grab the drain plug and leave you with room to break it lose. The Yamaha XV1900 is just like that, but with less room between the drain plug and frame. Oh, and there are two of those for the engine and one for the oil tank. 0.5 hr flat rate for an oil change on those. Kill me.

Safety Dance posted:

My Husqvarna had two oil drain plugs within inches of one another. One required a 12mm socket, and the other required a gigantic hex driver for reasons known only to :sweden:

My KTM has two oil drain plugs, a spin on oil filter, a cartridge oil filter, and a mesh screen filter. The drain plugs are two different size hex bolts. There is also a hex key screw that goes into the frame where the spin on filter goes to fully drain the oil out of the frame. You also have to bleed the oil system after changing it.

All in all, it's not bad, but it is tedious. It probably takes me an hour to do it all, measuring out the right amount of oil for the frame and crank case, and removing and replacing the skid plate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

Well you see it's cheaper because you're only buying the paper element, not a whole expensive metal canister! (never mind the aforementioned service issues, or the fact that their comparative rarity means economies of scale give spin-ons the advantage again)

Which is why AutoZone (and other parts stores) charge far, far more for the paper element compared to a can - and why they exclude such filters from their "buy oil and filter for $X" deals. :fuckoff:

Even at Wal-Mart, I pay $8 for an oil filter. It's the same filter drat near every Ecotec uses. :argh:

That said, it's nice being able to change the oil filter from above; if I'm really hungover/shaky, I might spill 3 or 4 drops. And I can order replacement oil filter housing caps easily (half of the ones you buy online come with a new cap/o-ring for an extra $1-2). A crescent wrench is all I need to change the filter :downs:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Which is why AutoZone (and other parts stores) charge far, far more for the paper element compared to a can - and why they exclude such filters from their "buy oil and filter for $X" deals. :fuckoff:

Even at Wal-Mart, I pay $8 for an oil filter. It's the same filter drat near every Ecotec uses. :argh:

That said, it's nice being able to change the oil filter from above; if I'm really hungover/shaky, I might spill 3 or 4 drops. And I can order replacement oil filter housing caps easily (half of the ones you buy online come with a new cap/o-ring for an extra $1-2). A crescent wrench is all I need to change the filter :downs:

Now do it on a Cobalt SS/SC. :suicide:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not enough "nopes" in the world for that challenge.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Toyotas 1KZ-TE 3.0L Turbodiesel has a catridge filter mounted at 45 degrees towards the block on the injector pump side of the engine, which sounds like a recipe for a mess, but they then made the filter mount have a cast in tray with a hose that runs down and drops out behind the sump next to the drain plug. So you just unscrew the filter and walk away while it drains itself into your oil pan and then you take an oil free filter off and throw it away.

I was kinda dissapointed that my 100 series didnt have the same system, its just got a small tray under the filter to catch any leaks and you have to mop it out. Im seriously thinking of drilling a hole into it and brazing in a bung to run a hose down to the back of the sump like the small diesel has.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Now do it on a Cobalt SS/SC. :suicide:

Its incredibly easy on the base model Cobalt, but that's a different motor. Now on the aforementioned 3800, try doing it without getting oil all over the passenger side control arm and subframe.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

DefaultPeanut posted:

Oil changes on motorcycles suck more than you could think. Most of the time sport bikes need to have the mid or lower fairing removed to access the filter. After that, you get about 6" between the engine case and hot exhaust header.
there is about 4" between the oil drain and the header on my 99 CB250, also the drain points at the header...
First time I changed the oil, half a litre covered the header and my driveway
I've found the easiest way to do it is to chop part of the handle off a 3 litre milk bottle /jug and wedge the remainder of the bottle between the oil drain and the header
I undo the sump plug and the oil all runs into the hacked up bottle

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The oil change on my Vulcan 500 was dead simple (filter front and center, drain right in the middle, easy to reach), though I always did it on a cold engine, so the headers weren't a worry.

The coolant drain, however, was about an inch above the exhaust. There was no way to drain the coolant without it getting all over the pipe other than taking the exhaust off (no way). And it was angled forward, so it would shoot out horizontally at first, then just dribble out at the end, so you had to keep your eye on it or it would miss the drain pan.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
My car has a little skidplate/splash guard thingy that comes off and folds back by unbolting 4 bolts.

They told me that due to that (and the canister oil filter) it would be an extra $20 to change the oil in my car. I find that hilarious. I'll most likely be doing it myself next weekend anyway.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Phone posted:

I like the battery location on the Solstice a bit better.

To clarify: http://www.cherod.com/solstice/HowTos/batteryReplacement.htm

"The second procedure is a bit less involved and does not require removal of the right fender."

:psyduck:

It's a BATTERY.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MetaJew posted:

My KTM has two oil drain plugs, a spin on oil filter, a cartridge oil filter, and a mesh screen filter. The drain plugs are two different size hex bolts. There is also a hex key screw that goes into the frame where the spin on filter goes to fully drain the oil out of the frame. You also have to bleed the oil system after changing it.

All in all, it's not bad, but it is tedious. It probably takes me an hour to do it all, measuring out the right amount of oil for the frame and crank case, and removing and replacing the skid plate.

At least my Yamaha only has two drain plugs and a cartridge filter. Dry sump systems are weird when you've only ever worked on wet sumps.

Oil change procedure goes as follows:
  1. Warm up engine
  2. Shut off engine
  3. Undo oil filler cap and camshaft sprocket cover
  4. Wedge specialized Yamaha oil drain chute tool between engine and exhaust pipe to avoid getting hot oil on the hot exhaustp pipe.
  5. Undo lower drain bolt
  6. Drain oil
  7. Undo upper drain bolt
  8. Drain more oil
  9. Undo oil filter cover
  10. Drain even more oil that you somehow missed before, getting it everywhere because you forgot to move the drain pan
  11. Replace filter and cover
  12. Reinstall upper and lower drain bolts and camshaft sprocket cover
  13. Pour in half the total amount of oil needed pour in 1.9L of oil
  14. Reinstall oil filler cap
  15. Start engine
  16. Rev engine 4-5 times
  17. Shut off engine
  18. Undo oil filler cap
  19. Pour in the rest of the oil (0.7L)
  20. Pray that you remembered to do everything right.

Oh yeah, and the oil level can only be checked on a hot engine, since the oil slowly drains from the oil tank when the engine isn't running.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Am I correct in reading that step 15 is "intentionally starve the engine of oil"?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Am I correct in reading that step 15 is "intentionally starve the engine of oil"?

I actually forgot one step, you also have to remove the camshaft sprocket cover when draining the oil.

And I got it a bit wrong, the total amount of oil needed during an oil change is 2.6L and you need to add the first 1.9L first, then rev the engine, and then you can add the last 0.7L.

See, it's my bike and I even get the details wrong. Then again, it's a Japanese-designed bike with an Italian engine, and built in France.

E: This is directly from the manual (emphasis mine):

quote:

The engine oil tank must be filled with engine oil in two steps. First, fill the engine oil tank with 1.9 L (1.67 Imp qt, 2.00 US qt) of the recommended engine oil. Then, start the engine, race it five or six times, turn it off, and then add the remainder of the engine oil.

I think maybe Yamaha is trying too hard to meet the "ready to race" example set by KTM.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

Oil pump needs to run to move the new oil so it'll fill up the filter cavity and soak into the filter. That's where the level drop in the oil tank comes from, and it's pretty much immediate. You can avoid most of that by pre-soaking the filter, but it's really too messy that way to bother with.

The Aprilia Rotax is the same way. Note this scrub dribbles oil all over the coolant hose but ten seconds fashioning a chute out of aluminum foil avoids that. Beyond that the biggest hassles are the common issue of the drain plug threads being easy to strip, the fairings using five different bolt sizes that take two different allen wrenches, and 15w50 synthetic being nasty expensive (some people just run Rotella and call it a day.)

The Speed Triple is even simpler to change the oil on as it has no fairings, wet sump, and the easily accessed filter is spin-on. Drain bolt, filter, new filter, drain bolt, new oil, done. Don't forget the crush washer, I guess. Of course you need a laptop to reset the ECU's service interval.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I actually forgot one step, you also have to remove the camshaft sprocket cover when draining the oil.

And I got it a bit wrong, the total amount of oil needed during an oil change is 2.6L and you need to add the first 1.9L first, then rev the engine, and then you can add the last 0.7L.

See, it's my bike and I even get the details wrong. Then again, it's a Japanese-designed bike with an Italian engine, and built in France.

E: This is directly from the manual (emphasis mine):

I think maybe Yamaha is trying too hard to meet the "ready to race" example set by KTM.
Which Yamaha is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Which Yamaha is this?

XT660X.