Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Pro Controller is super comfortable. I think it's hands down the best choice for games that don't really use the two screens (like VC games, 3D World, or Tropical Freeze), and even worth considering for games that do (Wind Waker, W101).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's so comfortable, I got a dongle so I could use it for PC gaming as well.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's so comfortable, I got a dongle so I could use it for PC gaming as well.

Do the analogue sticks work as proper analogue sticks with the dongle?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Do the analogue sticks work as proper analogue sticks with the dongle?

Yes, it does. It makes the PC think it's a 360 pad, or you can make it recognize it as a generic gamepad and connect up to 4 pro controllers at the same time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Seriously just buy 360 controllers. They're good, and won't cost you $40 each with an added cost of $25 to use them with your PC.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Seriously just buy 360 controllers. They're good, and won't cost you $40 each with an added cost of $25 to use them with your PC.

I needed a pro controller for my Wii U anyway, cheaper to make it also be my PC controller than to buy a 360 controller with a worse D-Pad v:v:v

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
They're pretty comparable in price anyway. Plus you can probably actually find used Wii U Pro controllers. I've hardly ever seen used 360 Wired controllers for sale, they get bought up too quickly.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Is the Metroid Prime Trilogy the same as buying Prime 1 2 and 3?

Because the Trilogy, used, on Amazon is like $70 whereas the games individually are a lot less.

I just got a Wii U and i love it so far. Just beat Mario 3D.

Quick question, is there a spell check for the internet browser? I'm using it now and i have to manually correct all of my numerous typos.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Prime 1 and 2 are Gamecube games, so you won't be able to play them on your Wii U unless you get the Trilogy (which contains Wii ports of them).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

johnny sack posted:

Because the Trilogy, used, on Amazon is like $70 whereas the games individually are a lot less.

The Metroid Prime Trilogy is all three games on one disc, with added pointer controls for Prime 1 and 2. So you could buy them all individually as long as you have a Wii or a Gamecube to play the first two games, but the controls for the first two games are a little stiff on the Cube.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Supercar Gautier posted:

Prime 1 and 2 are Gamecube games, so you won't be able to play them on your Wii U unless you get the Trilogy (which contains Wii ports of them).

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I'll watch Craigslist or ebay for a deal on the trilogy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

johnny sack posted:

Not exactly. You've got a different control setup for the Wiimote, 4:3 changed to 16:9, and achievement unlocks all for 1 & 2.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

johnny sack posted:

Quick question, is there a spell check for the internet browser? I'm using it now and i have to manually correct all of my numerous typos.

A proper spell check? No. Spell suggestion, yes, and admittedly its one of the shortcomings of the browser mode.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The pro controller is the most comfortable and ergonomic controller I've ever used. Plus it's extremely light. It owns and everyone should get one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Since the Pro Controller uses Bluetooth, has anyone just made drivers for Windows? Works great on my Mac for OpenEmu but I want to use it for PC games too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SeANMcBAY posted:

Since the Pro Controller uses Bluetooth, has anyone just made drivers for Windows? Works great on my Mac for OpenEmu but I want to use it for PC games too.

It doesn't need drivers, so if you have a bluetooth adapter that can connect to a wiimote, it can also connect to the pro controller and work as a gamepad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I find the pro controller extremely hard to use. My thumb doesn't rest naturally in a way that makes the face buttons comfortable and the buttons themselves feel really cheap

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's probably the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Love it.

The biggest disappointment is the lack of opportunity to use it. For local multiplayer it's great, but for single player I always feel like I'm giving up something to use it. It sort of feels wrong to ignore the biggest gimmick of the console by not using the Gamepad. Too bad you can't use it for Wii games since that would be an awesome use case for it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I really want to know what the real reason for us not being able to use the gamepad/pro controller as a wiimote+classic controller is. It's got the same amount of buttons, and it connects via normal bluetooth as well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

johnny sack posted:

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I'll watch Craigslist or ebay for a deal on the trilogy.

Every Gamestop ever has stacks of them for 49.99 "used" but probably new and opened. If you haven't played any of the Prime games, 49.99 is still a steal IMO.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Elliotw2 posted:

I really want to know what the real reason for us not being able to use the gamepad/pro controller as a wiimote+classic controller is. It's got the same amount of buttons, and it connects via normal bluetooth as well.

Wii mode uses Wii hardware, they'd have to write Wii drivers for the gamepad and pro controllers, which I'm sure isn't high on the priority list.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Wii mode uses Wii hardware, they'd have to write Wii drivers for the gamepad and pro controllers, which I'm sure isn't high on the priority list.

They're still busy with the Super Mario Bros 3 emulation :v:

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
My dad wants to buy a Wii U and wants my buying advice and I honestly don't know anything about the Wii U. He likes the marios and the donkey kongs. What's the best value for his money?

Was thinking of just getting the 'basic' system since I think it's going to be cheap to get any bundled game, unless there's something I don't know about.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Buy a $200 refurb from the online Nintendo shop. Don't repeat my mistake and drop $300 for it.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

Level Slide posted:

Buy a $200 refurb from the online Nintendo shop. Don't repeat my mistake and drop $300 for it.

Wish i had done that instead of buying the stupid swap force package for $ 240.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Do this then buy both Mario games and Donkey Kong.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Could be like me who pre ordered it back 2012! $350 to play less than 10 games for its total life span.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dexters Secret posted:

My dad wants to buy a Wii U and wants my buying advice and I honestly don't know anything about the Wii U. He likes the marios and the donkey kongs. What's the best value for his money?

Was thinking of just getting the 'basic' system since I think it's going to be cheap to get any bundled game, unless there's something I don't know about.

Lucky for him, the Mario and DK games on this system are awesome!

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Dexters Secret posted:

If your dad is not a frequent gamer, do not buy him the Donkey Kong game. My GF enjoyed the SNES one way back when, but the one recently released is more for the hardcore crowd. He'd be in for a very frustrating experience.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Dexters Secret posted:

If by the marios and the donkey kongs, you mean he's a platformer fan, then I additionally recommend Rayman Legends. Aside of being designed with the gamepad in mind, its control scheme is very simple and easy to grasp. Its also going cheap pretty much everywhere, so if you want to give yourself a good starting collection of games, its a good choice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say buy him a Mario or a Donkey Kong.

Astro Nut posted:

If by the marios and the donkey kongs, you mean he's a platformer fan, then I additionally recommend Rayman Legends. Aside of being designed with the gamepad in mind, its control scheme is very simple and easy to grasp. Its also going cheap pretty much everywhere, so if you want to give yourself a good starting collection of games, its a good choice.

Rayman Legends really, really didn't click with me and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It would behoove you to have him try the demo first.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 24, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Rayman Legends really, really didn't click with me and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It would behoove you to have him try the demo first.

I liked Legends (Origins really didn't click with me, though), but it's not a game that stuck with me at all. It's not even that there's anything wrong with it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as 3D World or Donkey Kong. I'd probably even take NSMBU over it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

A bunch of Wii U Ubisoft games are on sale:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/20733/1/ubisoft-wii-u-3ds-eshop-sale-for-north-america.html

Picked up Cloudberry Kingdom, ZombiU and Rayman Legends. May get ACIV later as well...

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Well, here's a surprise announcement: Advance Wars coming to PAL Wii U Virtual Console next week.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think I would have impulse bought ACIV if it were 30 instead of 40, and Rayman if it were 20 instead of 30.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you're not opposed to a disk, AC4 is going for $25 on Amazon for Wii U. (the other current-gen versions are $30)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

A bunch of Wii U Ubisoft games are on sale:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/20733/1/ubisoft-wii-u-3ds-eshop-sale-for-north-america.html

Picked up Cloudberry Kingdom, ZombiU and Rayman Legends. May get ACIV later as well...

You can get a WAY better price on most of these games at this point. Like the digitial games you dont' really have a choice but the ones that are also on disc really aren't that cheap here at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I much prefer digital games?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Kirios posted:

I much prefer digital games?

Valid, but a lot of people read the thread and it's useful information to have available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm interested in Rayman Legends, but at 30 i'm not sure. Best price I've seen is 24 on amazon but with shipping it's almost the same. Should I just wait more?

• Locked thread