Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I really like kingdom vassals as Scandinavia because 1) Finland is loving huge so organizing the levy is way easier, 2) Norway has Iceland/Orknies/Shetlands/Faroes which are a god drat pain so organizing the levy is way easier. Neither is especially big so I don't think they're likely to get out-of-control strong. Denmark's all so close-together that you could definitely destroy that if you wanted I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Republics are pretty hard to get off the ground, but once it got going the stability was amazing. It was such a pain to take over Italy, since Republics can't usurp kingdom level titles.

I had earlier placed a member of my dynasty on the byzantine throne, but he kind of failed at living. At least he converted the country to Catholicism. I want to see if my pet Pope can grant an invasion. From there, i'll try to restore the Roman Republic.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 24, 2014

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Republics are pretty hard to get off the ground, but once it got going the stability was amazing. It was such a pain to take over Italy, since Republics can't usurp kingdom level titles.

Republics are (at least for me) super stable purely because of the designate heir title. It gets annoying not being able to matrilinially marry away useless courtiers but it's a small price to pay for having a super diplomat son take over the republic.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Republics often get into a death spiral in the mid game where you have too many courtiers and your dynasty stops reproducing, which can be dangerous. I usually make another republic and give it to my current heir and let that court fill up with eligible men.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Republics often get into a death spiral in the mid game where you have too many courtiers and your dynasty stops reproducing, which can be dangerous. I usually make another republic and give it to my current heir and let that court fill up with eligible men.

My solution is to just make sure to keep some relatives landed, since the court size limit won't kick in for them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Expand as an empire and give off titles to your family members, and kill/otherwise remove courtiers constantly. Problem solved.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Did anyone read the second sentence of my post.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Did anyone read the second sentence of my post.

Making another republic sounds extraordinarily messy, and would be competition for my republic. I'd rather just distribute the counties I get from seizing cities for my family's trade posts.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

Making another republic sounds extraordinarily messy, and would be competition for my republic. I'd rather just distribute the counties I get from seizing cities for my family's trade posts.

Doges under you act as regular duke level mayors.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

My bro initially didn't want to grant an invasion, because he like the current Byzantine ruler too much. So, I supported a drunken lout usurper. That was the excuse we needed.

Now, i'm a Republic with (another) crazy overpowered CB.

To be honest, I was never really aware of a courtier limitation. It always felt like there was a shortage of people eligible to inherit for sure. I thought that was because I was marrying them off to royalty a little to enthusiastically.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 24, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So running a pure Enatic Cathar regime is pretty hard - no matter what you do, each count/duchy is by default agnatic-cognatic gavelkind, so if you want to keep things running as you want, you have to manually jump to each character and set the succession to enatic (since it isn't available except through the console.)

Anyway I'm doing OK with creating Alba, and decide to go make a claim on, and then capture, Santiago for the MA points. There I find the local bishop happens to be the son of a Karling (on his mother's side), and he has a claim to France. The Duke of Anjou is up to his usual rebellion, the other Karlings seem to be busy with a family feud, so I say "why not" and press his claim.

I didn't think King-Bishops were possible - he has the King title, and killing him just makes another "King." I'm not quite sure what to do, I could revoke his title but really don't need the tyranny this early.

He also has a claim on Aquitaine (which I can't press); also Bavaria is trying to claim the French crown (which I can't defend against), and presumably if the Bavaria won, I'd lose the French lands? Or would he become my vassal and then have to revolt?

Update: So I tried transferring the Bishop-King of France's bishopric title away, and he became a regular King. Who for some reason had an immediate -100% warscore against the King of Bavaria, who then became my vassal since I have the higher title? And I transferred a few of the duchies in France back to him and gave him a BS title and he said "Catharism? Sure I can do that!" and he starts revoking titles from filthy Catholics. This game. :allears:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 24, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I had the Kingdom of England become a Bishopric after William shenanigans caused succession crises and the AI pressed some bishop's claim.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Just conquered the world in my Byzantium->Roman Empire game to get the SPQR achievement before the next patch. Now I'm eyeing the survival achievement but I've got 300 years to go and time takes forever now. What's people's advice for cutting down to a manageable amount of land to speed up the game but stay safe against the hordes?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

A nice feature for the upcoming patch will be that you'll be able to make the Pacific and Great Lakes into separate sea zones. Wouldn't it be fun to make a merchant republic on the shores of Lake Superior? :allears:

Lake superior? More like lake inferior if you ask me! :smug: The only true home of a glorious trader republic is the west coast!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Actually I think I'll skip doing that achievement. I'd really just be doing nothing for 300 years. Maybe I'll do it eventually by playing the game in the background while doing something else. Cramming it all in before the patch hits just seems like it would be a drag.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Higsian posted:

Actually I think I'll skip doing that achievement. I'd really just be doing nothing for 300 years. Maybe I'll do it eventually by playing the game in the background while doing something else. Cramming it all in before the patch hits just seems like it would be a drag.
Just give every duke level guy its independence, only keep the emperor titles and the kingdom of Sicily as land. Watch the world spiral into chaos around you.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My plan for the patch is looking more and more to be play as a byzantine count form independent Greece and do what Alexander never did and go on to conquer India.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

DrSunshine posted:

A nice feature for the upcoming patch will be that you'll be able to make the Pacific and Great Lakes into separate sea zones. Wouldn't it be fun to make a merchant republic on the shores of Lake Superior? :allears:

Make the Great Lakes region a battleground between the Merchant Republics of Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Toronto.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Have a "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" event.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I recently started my second non-ironman game ever, because I wanted to try out how badly you could break the game with a custom ruler. I started at Old Gods as the count of Viscaya, thinking I'd use my beefed-up diplo skills to get my hands on the kingdom of Navarra and take it from there. Within five years, I was king of Galicia, Castille and Léon, entirely because of other vassals who started factions to get me installed in those titles and winning. I didn't lift a finger. And within just a hundred years, I found myself on the throne of Hispania. Thanks, RNG!

Now to think of something interesting for my next run...

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

DrSunshine posted:

What I'd really like to see is the incorporation of Sunset Invasion, being able to see the Aztecs on their home turf. Can you stand against the inexorable empire as the Shoshone Dominions?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Has there been any word on if they are going to fix the whole "cannot marry infidel" thing and change it to a negative modifyer getting permission rather than a complete marriage block because it wasn't unheard of for different religions to marry. I hate starting off as a Zoroastrian because there are never any decent wives to take.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

I hate starting off as a Zoroastrian because there are never any decent wives to take.

That's what your sister is for, dude. :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DStecks posted:

That's what your sister is for, dude. :v:

Genetically speaking, wouldn't that just doom yourself to being the Hapsburgs in a handful of generations? Gameplay-wise, do the Zoroastrians get reduced occurrences of the inbred trait or something?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Genetically speaking, wouldn't that just doom yourself to being the Hapsburgs in a handful of generations? Gameplay-wise, do the Zoroastrians get reduced occurrences of the inbred trait or something?

Pretty sure Zoroastrians get a hugely reduced chance of inbreeding, otherwise the whole "inbreeding makes your vassals happy" bonus would be aggressively worthless.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DStecks posted:

Pretty sure Zoroastrians get a hugely reduced chance of inbreeding, otherwise the whole "inbreeding makes your vassals happy" bonus would be aggressively worthless.

They definitely do, from my Zoroastrian run it was pretty uncommon to see the inbred trait, and they tended to die quickly. It's still a good idea to marry outside the family if you can find a genius/quick/strong spouse, but I can imagine that would be difficult if you are just starting out. (If you can't marry them, just take them as concubines - children of concubines get a very small diplo hit but it's not a big deal and well worth it.)

It was a bit unsettling checking on your vassals and seeing that a duke had his wife die in childbirth, so he betrothed himself to his daughter.

A different question, has anyone had a game where a heresy became the predominant religion?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Also non parent-to-children succession will help you pass the throne to non less inbred branches of the family.

monster on a stick posted:

A different question, has anyone had a game where a heresy became the predominant religion?

I had a game where I mended the schism, making catholicism an heresy, which then immediately became the predominant religion, making orthodoxy an heresy.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Yes, just yesterday, actually.

I've done it myself a couple of times, but this is the first time I've seen the AI do it.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Please tell me you're a Jewish merchant of Venice in that screenshot.

Are any of your kids named Shylock???

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

nutranurse posted:

Please tell me you're a Jewish merchant of Venice in that screenshot.

Are any of your kids named Shylock???

Yes and no, but the next one will be. I've just been using the default names so I've had 4 generations of Grand Princes named Abdul-Hazm, because one of my ancestors briefly turned Andalusian and it turned out to be a really popular name, even though they've all been Italian.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ofaloaf posted:

ahahaha it works IT WORKS

Also, it is such a goddamn pain in the rear end to add provinces. Why can't the engine go back to early EU3 days, when every sea province was manually defined rather that using the sea_starts value? It'd be much easier to work more stuff in if all the sea provinces didn't have to be shunted around and reassigned new IDs every time a new land province was added.

You need to make the Northeast cultural Duke title "Prince". So you can be a Prince of Maine, a KING of New England.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

DStecks posted:

I tended to have the sister-wife and whatever concubines I could find. Running elective monarchy I could at least avoid those few inbreds that did pop up becoming heir. Playing as Karen I tend to try my best to keep the little zoro count to the west (Gilan I think its called) alive just so that I have somewhere else I can leech courtiers off.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

grancheater posted:

Also non parent-to-children succession will help you pass the throne to non less inbred branches of the family.

I had a game where I mended the schism, making catholicism an heresy, which then immediately became the predominant religion, making orthodoxy an heresy.

It happens to mia/monophysiasm all the time. I've seen it switch twice in a single game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nightblade posted:

Yes and no, but the next one will be. I've just been using the default names so I've had 4 generations of Grand Princes named Abdul-Hazm, because one of my ancestors briefly turned Andalusian and it turned out to be a really popular name, even though they've all been Italian.

Make sure to take a screenshot. I'm introducing the name "Jessica" into the Empire of Alba though that seems hardly original.

Nightblade posted:

I've done it myself a couple of times, but this is the first time I've seen the AI do it.

I'm guessing that is because Orthodoxy appears to be a somewhat small religion, so it will be easy for a heresy to take over. Catholicism will be much harder - though for whatever reason I managed to convert the Hungarians away from Tengri before the Catholics did; now they've managed to form Carpathia, and they won a holy war against Cumania. Last I checked, the Cathar MA is 82 and the Catholic MA is in the 20s.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I sort of wonder, if Israel ever gets the opportunity to build a third temple, would they resume all rituals like animal sacrifice?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm guessing that is because Orthodoxy appears to be a somewhat small religion, so it will be easy for a heresy to take over. Catholicism will be much harder - though for whatever reason I managed to convert the Hungarians away from Tengri before the Catholics did; now they've managed to form Carpathia, and they won a holy war against Cumania. Last I checked, the Cathar MA is 82 and the Catholic MA is in the 20s.

Yeah, Orthodox is a religion that seems fairly strong at most starting dates, but all it takes to wipe it out is for a few states to go belly-up, and those few states very frequently do. Proto-Russia usually gets stomped by the Golden Horde, and Byzantium falls to the Muslims as often as not.

People complain about Orthodox not getting a Crusade mechanic, but I'm with the people who've suggested that it should be some kind of "defensive" crusade. If we want to follow history, then what should happen to the Byzantines over the course of CKII is having territory slowly chipped away by Muslims, not sudden "Jihad" events wrecking everything. I haven't played nearly enough in Byzantium to make any more concrete recommendations than that, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I am good at taking territory, but I'm terrible at parcelling it out in a manner that doesn't make everyone hate me. Assuming I'm the emperor of an infinite empire, what should I be trying to keep as my personal demesne, and how many duchies should I be holding onto? I always seem to end up with a hundred people hating me because they desire this duchy or that, and endless rebellions as a result.

Or are those just the cost of doing business?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One of my failed Zoroastrian games saw the Shi'a invasion get its dick kicked in so hard that the Druze faith supplanted it, which was kinda wild.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DStecks posted:

Yeah, Orthodox is a religion that seems fairly strong at most starting dates, but all it takes to wipe it out is for a few states to go belly-up, and those few states very frequently do. Proto-Russia usually gets stomped by the Golden Horde, and Byzantium falls to the Muslims as often as not.

People complain about Orthodox not getting a Crusade mechanic, but I'm with the people who've suggested that it should be some kind of "defensive" crusade. If we want to follow history, then what should happen to the Byzantines over the course of CKII is having territory slowly chipped away by Muslims, not sudden "Jihad" events wrecking everything. I haven't played nearly enough in Byzantium to make any more concrete recommendations than that, though.

Make it possible for Catholics to join the Orthodox in defense against jihads, which I don't think is possible now. Effectively you power up the Byzantines so they aren't complete pushovers against a strong Caliphate, without giving them enough power to easily mend the schism/start the Roman Empire.

That or make the AI be more like what the Byzantines did in real life by having them do whatever it took to keep their enemies occupied (e.g. the Emperor is literally always trying to assassinate the Caliph to get a civil war going.)

Gort posted:

I am good at taking territory, but I'm terrible at parcelling it out in a manner that doesn't make everyone hate me. Assuming I'm the emperor of an infinite empire, what should I be trying to keep as my personal demesne, and how many duchies should I be holding onto? I always seem to end up with a hundred people hating me because they desire this duchy or that, and endless rebellions as a result.

Any more than holding on to two duchies gives you -10 opinion *per extra duchy* so don't hold onto them. The most important property for a Duke is the Content trait which gives them a +50 opinion. General positive traits/high stewardship/same culture (and religion of course) are all good as well. Ideally when you are handing out counties, make sure the count of the best (capital) county of the duchy has all those great traits and make him the Duke. (That or just don't form a Duchy at all, though I think you get bonuses for doing so, not to mention fewer vassals to deal with.)

You probably want to keep your capital Duchy and some other rich province.

VVVV - Kings actually will care about counts, in my game the King of Bavaria/France was giving me -25 opinion because they didn't have a count reporting to them. The overall duchy was controlled by another Kingdom.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gort posted:

Counts will desire the duchy title for whatever de jure county they're in. Dukes will want control over all the counties in the de jure duchy, and will desire the king title for the de jure kingdom their duchy is in. Kings will want control over all duchies in their de jure kingdom, and will desire the de jure empire title their kingdom is in.

"Control" can be direct or through a vassal. If the counties in a duchy are held by counts, dukes will be satisfied if they're the direct liege of those counts. If the counts are someone else's vassal, they'll be mad at whoever that someone else is. If it's you who controls the count, transfer the vassalage of that count to a duke. If it's not you who holds the count, it's not your problem.

Nobles will only desire titles one level up from theirs, and will only want control over titles one level down from theirs. Kings will only desire control over dukes/duchies, not counts - only dukes care about counts. Similarly, dukes will only aspire to a king title; if there's no king title, they won't desire your empire.

• Locked thread