Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's an as of yet unannounced set that's coming out next fall. Rotation occurs when that set is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

What a Judas posted:

Pffffffffshh that's off-center, buddy!

There's a sliver of green at the top, but yeah not exactly the most amazing thing. After going through almost 15,000 cards in this collection, I was a little excited to post that.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
So that will make standard consist of Theros, M14, and said unannounced set?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

morning wood posted:

it will be theros block, m15, which comes out this summer, and the next block which comes out in september I'm pretty sure.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

morning wood posted:

It's going to be Theros, Born of the Gods, Journey into Nyx, M15 and the fall set.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

morning wood posted:

Yeah, except M14 is going to be replaced with M15 because every core set is +1 from the current calender year. M15 also comes out before M14 rotates, core sets overlap for a few months usually referred to as "super standard." Sometimes wild poo poo can occur with two core sets legal, especially if whatever mana elf is in the next core set is a different one. There was some hilarious mono green Craterhoof Behemoth deck last summer, for instance.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

rabidsquid posted:

Elspeth, because Planar Cleansing is also rotating, but that doesn't mean the Sphinx can't go in the same deck as Elspeth since they play well together.

How do you know planar cleansing is rotating out? I was under the impression that most of the core set didn't rotate out because of reprints. Elspeth has issues with heroes downfall and burn.

I don't think there will be any one replacement for Aetherling unless it comes in one of the next sets.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

traslin posted:

How do you know planar cleansing is rotating out? I was under the impression that most of the core set didn't rotate out. Elspeth has issues with heroes downfall and burn.

I don't think there will be any one replacement for Aetherling unless it comes in one of the next sets.

Well there's not going to be anything as good as Aetherling, but something will replace it.

I would expect either Day or Judgement or a black sweeper to replace Planar Cleansing in the core set, chances are they took a 4 mana wrath out of the core set for when Supreme Verdict is in standard.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

traslin posted:

How do you know planar cleansing is rotating out? I was under the impression that most of the core set didn't rotate out because of reprints. Elspeth has issues with heroes downfall and burn.

I guess Planar Cleansing could be in the core set again but it has taken a vacation a few times. Regardless dying to Planar Cleansing is not a weakness of any card. Aetherling largely dodging removal is a nice bonus but it can easily be replaced, especially when you consider it hasn't even been used as a finisher for it's entire run in Standard.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Hey What a Judas, I hope your wallet is prepared to handle this sick miscut I just found!

I literally only realised my Pump Knights were miscut an hour ago. I've had them for about 15 years. The Tor Wauki is also a little miscut, but not as much.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

mehall posted:

I literally only realised my Pump Knights were miscut an hour ago. I've had them for about 15 years. The Tor Wauki is also a little miscut, but not as much.

No no no no no no no no.

EDIT: We're very elitist about our miscuts. They absolutely MUST be a) showing another card or b) be something expensive to begin with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

traslin posted:

Core sets are usually half new, half reprints now. Sometimes they reprint stuff from the last core set, sometimes it's from previous core sets, and sometimes they print stuff from the set that's going to be rotated out (Bramblecrush, Claustrophobia, and a few of the wolves in M14 were from Innistrad and Avacyn originally.) Planar Cleansing has been in the core set for a few years now, so there is a good chance they change it up for a old wrath like Day of Judgement, or a new one that will hit the dollar bin hopefully.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What a Judas posted:

No no no no no no no no.

EDIT: We're very elitist about our miscuts. They absolutely MUST be a) showing another card or b) be something expensive to begin with.

You better not be dissin' my boy Wauki you hear. :colbert:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You better not be dissin' my boy Wauki you hear. :colbert:

Whatcha gon' do? Miscut me?

Ha!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

What a Judas posted:

No no no no no no no no.

Yeah, I know the Wauki is trash, but I was taking a photo anyway.

But the pump knights ain't too bad.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

mehall posted:

Yeah, I know the Wauki is trash, but I was taking a photo anyway.

But the pump knights ain't too bad.

Agree to disagree, then.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I want a From the Vault: Misprints.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

vOv posted:

I'd be happy to make one and sell it to you.

...I have plenty to go around.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

vOv posted:

They already printed a card for Miscut fans

Here

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Devor posted:

They already printed a card for Miscut fans

Here

Seriously: miscut versions of this card sell very well.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

bhsman posted:

I would love to see Control's next big thing become that Sphinx;

Since I have like 50 of them, I certainly share that hope.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

vOv posted:

Well we haven't had a decklist for From the Vault: Annihilation so just maybe...

I think if the Food Chain player wins the next two matches he's in the top 8 or at least in good contention for it. LA Legacy community seems pretty loving awesome, why can't SCG do more west coast shows?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Getting into the top 8 of a 12 man IQ with a 1-0-3 record is pretty silly.

Getting to the finals and splitting with a friend for 12 packs and $125 on the other hand...
:getin:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Getting to the finals and splitting with a friend for 12 packs and $125 on the other hand...

PA?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

:flashfact:PLAY FASTER.:flashfact:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
What a Judas: Do you think the amount of miscuts will decrease with the adoption of the new M15 card border which was apparently designed to be tracked better by the manufacturing machinery?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

End of Life Guy posted:

What a Judas: Do you think the amount of miscuts will decrease with the adoption of the new M15 card border which was apparently designed to be tracked better by the manufacturing machinery?

It's something we've been talking about, but it's really hard to say what will happen.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah, Coopersburg.

Korak posted:

:flashfact:PLAY FASTER.:flashfact:

Hey it ain't my fault I got I somehow went to time against Naya aggro of all things.

A bizarre junk whip deck was the other draw (the third was to a friend to get into the top 8). He gains a billion life until I get erebos out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Western PA/Northern WV/Eastern OH/whoever else: is anyone going to the Modern TCGPlayer thing this Saturday at Mr. Nice Guy's? I should be going, but I have no idea what I'll actually be playing yet. I might just stick with my usual failure of mono-G control and hope it decides to move the green lands into more than one spot ub the deck for once. I'm going to give my Nyx&Nail deck one more shot tomorrow at Modern and if it craps out in round 3 like it always seems to, I'm playing something else Saturday.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
:laffo: at Patrick Sullivan "Job's playing one of the most busted legacy decks, mana accelerants into Phantom Monster"

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 24, 2014

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

morning wood posted:

I'm ready to hear all the Esper Control naysayers explain why the deck is bad :getin:

It isn't. Sphinxes revelation makes 1 for 1 removal, and tempo removal actually viable in a control setting, so despite only having decent counterspells, and only 1 good sweeper, control is an excellent deck.

The reason people dislike control in the current standard is that sphinxes revelation removes difficult decisions from the archetype and simplifies it immensely. Sphinxes rev is such a powerful draw spell, that the control deck can afford to play nothing but answers, and maindeck 0 dedicated win conditions. Elspeth and Jace, are powerful support planeswalkers that have the option to close out games. The deck is the least skill intensive control variant I have ever played, and the only reason it is viable at all is sphinxes revelation.

Card is bullshit and never should have been printed, mind spring is sorcery for a reason.

a dozen swans posted:

Serious question - would making Rev sorcery-speed have caused it to be less oppressive? That adds another step to its decision tree, if nothing else.

Yes, adding W to mind spring for 1 life per card is fair. Adding W to mind spring for 1 life per card, and making it instant turns it into a mindspring fog, and that is totally insane value in the archetype.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I love Food Chain. What's really good is that if you play the creature heavy version you can sac a couple of dudes and play something really good for 7-10 mana even if it isn't Emrakul.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
See, love food chain just because it builds you a really nice storm count to hijack :getin: Nothing like casting Brain freeze after an Emrakul trigger with a storm count of 28+

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

morning wood posted:

Speaking of Aetherling, any predictions on the next big creature for control? Aetherling, Blood Baron of Vizkopa, and Obzedat, Ghost Council are all rotating out at once.

Tromokratis! :krakken:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
A better question, now that wraths will be counterable, what new tempo card is gonna go nuts next year? Spellheart chimera?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Yeah I'm scanning through modern legal draw cards for ideas for Future Standard.

quote:

Compulsive Research 2Blue (3)
Sorcery
Target player draws three cards. Then that player discards two cards unless he or she discards a land card.
Would Compulsive Research be too strong for Standard? Control decks are so hungry for land that pitching it could lead to losses, at least until people figure out how to play with it. They would also be pitching valuable scry lands pretty often. Also would open up more DRS play possibilities, although that could also be a minus in some eyes.

quote:

Foresee 3Blue (4)
Sorcery
Scry 4, then draw two cards.
Forsee would be incredible as a chase rare but I don't think WotC have the guts to do that.

quote:

Ghastly Discovery 2Blue (3)
Sorcery
Draw two cards, then discard a card.
Conspire (As you cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that share a color with it. When you do, copy it.)
Hmm conspire would be an interesting mechanic to mix with devotion and inspire... still doubtful it will come back even if I will look like a genius if it does!

Serum Visions! Joke. That was kind of depressing. We really are spoiled right now with Revelation.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A better question, now that wraths will be counterable, what new tempo card is gonna go nuts next year? Spellheart chimera?

This would not surprise me. Between Jace switching out and Steam Augury sticking around, the Chimera just gets stupid big after a point, often times swinging for half of the player's life and if the game is going long, for lethal damage every time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Korak posted:

Forsee would be incredible as a chase rare but I don't think WotC have the guts to do that.

Yeah it would take a lot of guts to reprint as rare a card that they already reprinted as common. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

JerryLee posted:

Yeah it would take a lot of guts to reprint as rare a card that they already reprinted as common. :v:
Not the first time they've changed a card from one to the other! I just assume it'd be rare in any set going forward because of how good people feel scry is. You really think they'd reprint that at common again?

• Locked thread