Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Just cover the boots with mud halfway up the shin and blend it into the base. Then it doesn't matter what color they were underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
If you like buildings, you will like this post.

I spent today drinking a shitload of beer and adding some fancy bits to some existing buildings, and built a whole new thing out of spare bits. This is the first day I've had off all month, and I'm working at least the next two weekends (pro tip: do not take a job in the bideo gabes industry, ever), but I had a hankering for some space barbies.

I'd already played a game or two with this one, but it looks leagues better with the buttresses and poo poo:

This one's all new, mostly extra building parts, but with the objectives from (I think) Battle for Macgragge. It's basically some kind of hosed up imperial electric substation:

Again, already built, but the buttresses and gargoyles and poo poo really kicked it up:

I get poo poo about this every time I put it on the table for a game, because it's just a door (I was just trying to use up extra bits). Hopefully I get less guff now that it's all gussied up:

The table as a whole, barring the bastion (the middle tower from the Fortress of Redemption) that I haven't put heavy bolters on yet:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Sweet terrain man! Really love what you've done with it. Next game is still at my place though :P

Also, I'm thinking you can just have one of the landing pads. I have no room for two of the goddamn things.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hollismason posted:

How exactly would one make glittering white paint for miniatures, specifically something like mithril silver, but white. Mix in white glitter? Or is that a terrible idea?

Has anyone seen a paint like that? Like the GW metallics basically but white.

Reaper makes a white metallic called Pearl White.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I really don't understand what's happened with the FAQs. They went through a phase of fast releases with quick updates, but now we get....nothing?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Sweet terrain man! Really love what you've done with it. Next game is still at my place though :P

Also, I'm thinking you can just have one of the landing pads. I have no room for two of the goddamn things.

I have no problem with any of this. Game comes out on the 4th, and I'm spending the following weekend drunk as poo poo and not leaving the house, but maybe the weekend of the 19th I can roll up there and battle on your fancy rear end table. Hell yeah.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Yes.

Vallejo I believe do a 'metallic fluid' type paint that is essentially just sparkly bits in carrier fluid. You can use it to make coloured metallics by mixing in the colour of choice.

I'd say mica powder in a matte medium, add your color and maybe a little flow-aide?

Gonna be tough enough painting white without thinning it further, though.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Question on forgeworld stuff, since it's TAX RETURN TIME and I'm getting back more than I thought!

I've never actually played with/against any fw stuff, and I don't trust other forums for advice. At all. So I'll ask here since you guys actually give great advice. My idea is choosing between an eldar Hornet, Warp Hunter, or Shadow Spectres [I think they just look cool]. Or point out anything else that might be worthwhile to consider instead.

I also wish I could ask serious gaylord what colours he used on that Phantom, poo poo looks fantastic and I'm thinking of doing one wraithlord/guard squad like that.

Fix posted:

I'd say mica powder in a matte medium, add your color and maybe a little flow-aide?

Gonna be tough enough painting white without thinning it further, though.

I had a friend who loaned me something similar, damned if I can remember what it was called. I know it was an "artist" style paint [possibly Golden] which essentially had a pearlescence/glitter once it dried. Used it on my badass khorn champion power weapons :black101: I could try to find what it was exactly, but I'm not sure it'll match what you're trying for exactly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

The table as a whole, barring the bastion (the middle tower from the Fortress of Redemption) that I haven't put heavy bolters on yet:

I realize if I'm going to get one of those table war mats I really need to get some terrain for it as well. I should probably start hunting for some at some point.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm thinking of getting an Imperial Bastion. You can't put artillery on top right? Only infantry units on top/inside?

Correct, only units that are allowed onto the upper levels of a ruin are allowed onto the battlements of a fortification. The Bastion is really clutch if you have a unit with really strong shooting coming from six or fewer guys (as six guys can shoot out the front hatches of it) but that is extremely fragile. Broadsides, Pathfinders, Plasma Veterans/CCS, Dark Reapers, Havocs, etc, etc, all work quite well.

VolatileSky posted:

I've never actually played with/against any fw stuff, and I don't trust other forums for advice. At all. So I'll ask here since you guys actually give great advice. My idea is choosing between an eldar Hornet, Warp Hunter, or Shadow Spectres [I think they just look cool]. Or point out anything else that might be worthwhile to consider instead.

The Hornet is really good and works great if you're already running several skimmers in your list. Give it a pair of Pulse Lasers and you've got four S8 AP2 shots coming out for 80pts. Fragile, but running a couple of them is a strong option.

The Warp Hunter is pretty decent and much more of a "fair" unit- it's very similar to the Fire Prism overall. It puts out three small blasts or a template and has Distort and all that and thus hits reasonably hard.

Shadow Spectres are a bit improved with their 6E update, but still on the weak side. Their gun is nice, but they are extremely pricey and not all that tough. The models are pretty amazing, though.

If you like wraithguys, there is also the Wraithseer, which is basically a Wraithlord HQ choice with psychic powers. The Nightwing Interceptor and Phoenix Bomber are also both pretty interesting, with the former being a shockingly-tough little fighter plane with a million handy rules and the latter being a fragile gun platform that will flatten most things pretty well (but you pay for the privilege.) The... Wasp(?) scout walker is also pretty decent if you like having more animu future mecha robots in your army.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

VolatileSky posted:

I had a friend who loaned me something similar, damned if I can remember what it was called. I know it was an "artist" style paint [possibly Golden] which essentially had a pearlescence/glitter once it dried. Used it on my badass khorn champion power weapons :black101: I could try to find what it was exactly, but I'm not sure it'll match what you're trying for exactly.

There is also the Pearlescent White FW Acrylic inks from Daler Rowney which I have used but honestly it was so long ago that I don't exactly remember what for and whether or not they were good (probably not if I didn't continue to use them) though I did really like their straight-up white, black, and sepia inks.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

SRM posted:

If he was standing on more even ground he'd look awesome. He looks silly just kinda perched up there.

I put him on a new base!

He's getting a pretty bad score on coolmini(although with his old base), is there anything else that I can do to improve?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
My advice in that case would be to not give a warm poo poo what CoolMini thinks.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Humongus posted:

I put him on a new base!

He's getting a pretty bad score on coolmini(although with his old base), is there anything else that I can do to improve?

Better! Clean up that base rim (either black or dark brown should do it) and I'd say he's done! As for how to improve, paint more because he looks great and should have a squad to pal around with.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dat Spikey Boy's got da image of Gork on his back! :orks:

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Hollismason posted:

How exactly would one make glittering white paint for miniatures, specifically something like mithril silver, but white. Mix in white glitter? Or is that a terrible idea?

Has anyone seen a paint like that? Like the GW metallics basically but white.

Vallejo's "Metal Medium" might be worth trying. It is a clear-drying medium with metallic flakes. Either mix it with regular white and paint it on, or use it neat as a glaze over a white surface.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Reaper makes a white metallic called Pearl White.

Is this the paint you are talking about

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/pear%20white/latest/09100

Trying to find a miniature actually painted in it that description isn't very uh helpful.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Vallejo's "Metal Medium" might be worth trying. It is a clear-drying medium with metallic flakes. Either mix it with regular white and paint it on, or use it neat as a glaze over a white surface.

I saw that on their website, it seems interesting. I just don't know how I'd use it or what ratio I'd add the white to it. I kind of want a shiny glittery white. Not super strong but pearlish looking definitely.

Fix posted:

There is also the Pearlescent White FW Acrylic inks from Daler Rowney which I have used but honestly it was so long ago that I don't exactly remember what for and whether or not they were good (probably not if I didn't continue to use them) though I did really like their straight-up white, black, and sepia inks.

Thanks a bunch guys. Now I just need to find a miniature actually painted with it to get a idea of what I'm working with.

http://www.dickblick.com/items/21111-1093/

This is the example but honestly I can't tell from this sample.

Also this is apparently a Ink? I am unsure of painting with inks . Is that different?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 24, 2014

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

So I tried out a Skyblight Swarm against my pal's Eldar Corsairs. 1850 had me taking the swarm with 20x, 15x and 10x gargoyle broods (larger two with toxic sacs) an additional winged HT, 2 zoans, 2 exocrines and some min sized warrior squads for back-line synapse and FoC fulfillment.

Game started off with me nearly losing a HT to some manner of eldar barrage weapon the instant deaths on a 6 until we remembered night fighting was in play and I was just out of 36". Rest of the game had me basically cracking open Falcons with exocrines and lucky rear shots from gargoyles. Corsairs did not like getting hit by large plasma pie plates.

Running around with large blobs of smaller bugs made me actually feel like I was playing Nids again, although the contesting counts as scoring special rule never came up and only the small gargoyle squad got killed (and came back to immediately get swooping hawk'd down to a single gargoyle again)

Harpies didn't do much and died off pretty quick

I feel like next game Ill probably try just swapping out the Skyblight Swarm for just piles of Hormagaunts with adrenal glands. It doesnt seem like a lot of lists are tailored to "Can take out piles of Flying MCs AND massed units" since massed fire tends to get directed towards the flyers to try to ground them.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Keep it on the hush,
Don't say nothing,
Ain't gon' be no talking,
While I crosspost my thang:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Baby, I know it's been a while, but you know how things are. Sometimes it just takes me a little longer.

Finished these guys tonight:

15 more guardsmen and I'm done with infantry!

I love the Imperial Guard. I can't wait to lay out all ~120 troops when I'm done and bask in their collective awesomeness. Then my cats will gleefully destroy all my hard work because they're jealous, hateful, jerks.

Edit - My new phone takes way huge photos. Cool.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hollismason posted:

Is this the paint you are talking about

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/pear%20white/latest/09100

Trying to find a miniature actually painted in it that description isn't very uh helpful.

Yup that's it. I have it and have used it mixed with pale blue to make a magical ice sort of effect, and use it in final highlights for skin for mystical races like elves, but have never painted anything with it alone so I can't help you there. It definitely is a subtle pearlescent though, not a super sparkly true metallic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wonder what it'd look like if you put a primary color, then that, then Metal Medium ( which from what I understand is clear) then outline it. Hrmmm.

If your wondering. I'm going with the not often used, white and purple Nurgle color scheme but I want my demons skin to look really shiny and weird, almost glittery but not quiet. I'll experiment.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That metal medium definitely has a lighter color to it when you mix it with paints. Even if its just the flakes, when you mix if together with stuff, it lightens the base color a tiny bit.

ANAmal.net posted:

If you like buildings, you will like this post.

I spent today drinking a shitload of beer and adding some fancy bits to some existing buildings, and built a whole new thing out of spare bits. This is the first day I've had off all month, and I'm working at least the next two weekends (pro tip: do not take a job in the bideo gabes industry, ever), but I had a hankering for some space barbies.

Sweet buildings duder. Now you need to quit the lovely games industry and work less hours for way more money.

Use all of that spare scratch and time to build more cool terrain.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hollismason posted:

Thanks a bunch guys. Now I just need to find a miniature actually painted with it to get a idea of what I'm working with.

http://www.dickblick.com/items/21111-1093/

This is the example but honestly I can't tell from this sample.

Also this is apparently a Ink? I am unsure of painting with inks . Is that different?

Yeah, it's an acrylic ink. It works much the same as any of the paints you're used to except that you don't need to thin it and (some of the range) actually covers better in the light pigment range than the usual model paints. The bottle says it works fine for brush, pen, and airbrush, but I've never tried it in the latter.

It can be shiny though, which is probably more of a problem for the flat colors than what you're wanting to use, and is mitigated a bit by shaking the hell out of those bottles (and I mean, _a lot_)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lungboy posted:

I really don't understand what's happened with the FAQs. They went through a phase of fast releases with quick updates, but now we get....nothing?

It's really bizarre and confusing, to say the least.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SRM posted:

Those feet are so hilariously tiny. I can't say I dig it, even if it's going for more of a Mechwarrior look.

I think a retrohammer thread would be a little too niche, and it would deprive the goons in the regular hams threads of seeing a lot of the neat retro stuff that's been pouring out lately. You've got a hell of a collection right there though! I'm trying to put together a 2nd edition Space Hulk set and I've got everything for it, I just need to find the time and effort to paint models for it.

I have mostly painted the V2 Space Hulk set. They were a lot easier to paint so even a lovely, slow, and lazy painter like me could do it all eventually.

I even did a battle report with that set:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/08/space-hulk-mission-1-1-comic-report.html

(The same minis I even use in V3 because V3 Terminators have so much detail I just can't even START painting them. Even if I spent a LOT of time using a knockoff Dremel to sand off all the Blood Angels iconography to make them Crimson Fists.)

Course they lost in V3, the game I have mostly been the GM for http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/06/space-hulk-v3-comic-report.html

I might as well make this a retro effort post/blog whore then. Binge and purge the Retrohammer.

My computer game Warhams?

I have pretty much every physical copy released GW computer game. (I don't think Gorkamorka actually ever got released, and as far as I know Blood Bowl Chaos Ed is pretty much a DL only thing just like Space Hulk, that Twin Stick Shooter on PSN, and the upcoming IOS titles. As a collector this irritates me. Also 5 bucks for Space Wolf Space Hulk and a whopping 3 new missions. Warhammer Quest I haven't minded the DLC since I got the core game for a buck, so dropping 5 for the Skaven bit and 3 for the Witch Hunter wasn't so bad.)

Well, not counting old C64 and Spectrum games. And the UK Micros expansions to Hero Quest & Space Crusade.

(Just because GW wants to rip me off doesn't mean I have to LET THEM.)

I even have most of the console GW based games not counting ones I have the PC versions of instead. That N Gage game there?
Uses ACTUAL 3rd EDITION 40K RULESET.

Mid 90s flip tops still work. Unlike barely used Foundation paints where for my Tyranid bucktooths a couple pages back I had to basically fill the bottle with water, mix it up with a toothpick, shake the hell out of it, wait a while, repeat. Mid 90s Citadel paints were godly.

Don't worry I can even play 2nd edition 40K and Necromunda RIGHT.

I even made a Rogue Trader styled RPG Lite campaign using 2nd ed rules:

(I even had secret notes for session 2: )

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2013/03/warhammer-40k-rogue-trader-styled_21.html sadly we never got beyond this first scenario. There was kind of desire for people to play, but never enough people communicating clearly as to when.

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2013/03/warhammer-40k-rogue-trader-styled.html (The basic rules overview if somehow anyone gives a poo poo.)

I even have Epic heat:

(With one more Hive Tyrant I can hit 4950 points. That's a LOT OF TYRANIDS.)

Sadly getting people to loving PLAY EPIC is a pain:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/05/epic-system-preparing-for-battle-six_13.html

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2010/06/epic-system-battle-report-1.html

A sad/funny thing happened at one of those two games. Waiting for the other player to show up or get lunch. A couple dudes who are not exactly your average white nerd type come up and start asking me about the game. I explain it in simple terms about how you use measuring tape and roll dice and look at a chart to see if you blow stuff up.

The response I got?

"Sounds pretty gay". Then they walked out of the store. It was.. odd. Memorable, but odd.

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2012/08/my-games-workshop-rogue-trader-era-book.html I also have most of the Rogue Trader books now.

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-corner-operation-game-collection.html

At this point I am just missing First Book of the Astronomican, and Waaagh! The Orks.

If I want to count close but not quite RT, I need Dungeon Floor Plans (Red Folio), Armies of the Imperium for Space Marine Epic, 1st edition Space Hulk with both expansions (my wallet hears the lambs.. and they are screaming. Like my wallet. Because they cost too much.), and the two also ridiculously expensive expansions for the upper game of these two sexy SOBs:

I suppose I could also count the "dice box" games, Heroquest expansions, Advanced Hero Quest, Combat Cards, and all the RT era of White Dwarf as well but that way lies complete and total madness and economic irresponsibility.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oooookay…. nerd cred checks out. You may enter the tree fort.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God drat dude, you're loaded for bear on the good old stuff! That's truly an impressive lot of stuff you've got there. Similarly, I'm doing Crimson Fists for my 2nd ed Space Hulk set, and fortunately there's no dremel required! :v: I've actually got the 3rd ed set too, but I'm not cracking the plastic on that until I know I can find the time to paint the models inside.

Also sick comic battle reports, I think I recall you posting them round these parts.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Hollismason posted:

It's a model from Warmachine, but this person used this paint to get a pretty aggressive pearlescent effect.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
That Epic stuff and the campaign fluff is pretty much the reason why I love the idea of BFG. Someone's has to secure space.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

parabolic posted:

It's a model from Warmachine, but this person used this paint to get a pretty aggressive pearlescent effect.

That's a really cool effect. Thanks for the link, I have another new paint to try through the airbrush. Is the Aztek stuff pretty good?

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
If naftka posts a load of made-up bullshit, which is the best site I can check on for reliable rumors?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

VolatileSky posted:

Question on forgeworld stuff, since it's TAX RETURN TIME and I'm getting back more than I thought!

I also wish I could ask serious gaylord what colours he used on that Phantom, poo poo looks fantastic and I'm thinking of doing one wraithlord/guard squad like that.

Vallejo Emerald base + Vallejo Blue Green with white mixed in as highlights.

not lame! posted:

If naftka posts a load of made-up bullshit, which is the best site I can check on for reliable rumors?

None. They all just steal from each other which is why its so incredibly easy to make something up and have it spread like wildfire. All you need is for it to appear on 2 forums and then one of the blogs will pick it up, then all the others will repost it to make sure they stay 'relevant'.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

not lame! posted:

There is not a single 40k website that has anything I'd consider even remotely reliable. Every 40k site just parrots what every other website posts (seriously, watch how fast a rumor will move from site to site) and most of their rumors either come directly from here, 4chan or "anonymous tipsters" a.k.a. some dude made things up just to throw rocks at the wasp nest. Unless you like reading comment sections and lots of wishlisting, don't go to 40k blogs for rumors; anything worthwhile (basically it has to be pictures at this point or it's B.S.) will end up getting posted in this thread anyways.

parabolic posted:

Has anybody ever used Testors Aztek paints for airbrushing? I completely forgot they even existed until checking that link. $6 for 2oz really isn't bad at all and some of those colors are pretty killer even if the range is somewhat limited.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 24, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

not lame! posted:

None of them, don't bother with that poo poo. Just tell MangoPolo what you want the rumors to be and the world's your oyster.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of rumours, have you guys seen the squat exo armour? Thos models are baller. Not sure about the trikes though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cataphract posted:

Speaking of rumours, have you guys seen the squat exo armour? Thos models are baller. Not sure about the trikes though.

True story, but the FW 30k versions are pretty pimping in their own 3-balled hover dickbike sort of way.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Aww yiss, motherfucking Mechanicum rolling out the heavy machinery :black101:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I love it because it wouldn't be out of place in a victorian era War of the worlds game.

ADMECH IV EVA

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like how it echoes the Necron Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Looks like a Dystopian Wars model.

• Locked thread