Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MrTheDevious posted:

This is the best name/post in the thread hands down. Now that I'm successfully out of the USA and not playing, I can say this here plainly: you're stupid if you're not using MQ and now this dude wants to let you use it free, so this is an offer you should probably accept.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. There's a reason we only killed him once, and that's it. Most of us were level 99 by the time we actually zerged that poo poo down and refused to go back ever again. Guild roster turnover's a bitch though, so now a whole new crowd of people got to suffer through that motherfucker :v:

RIP LoB zerg DA abuse days of yore

Edit - if you're reading this thread and you don't know why Fansy's the best name ever, you should probably Google Fansy the bard and educate yourself

Ah FOH...Rallos Zek goons represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pilsner posted:

It's for AutoHotKey. Have you heard of it? It is a bit complex, but the online documentation is good. Give it a shot.

Yeah I will look it up. I usually read forums on my phone or tablet using the Awful app, so I will have to look it up on my "real" computer.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

The bank XML file is named EQUI_BigBankWnd.xml; just delete it if you don't like it. I don't understand how you can prefer opening 24 bags by hand, though, but to each their own.

How could this be confusing to anyone?

Alt-labels don't pop up, so it can be really hard to find something with that window. Just with TS stuff, a bunch of silks, pelts, ores and misc things all use the same icon and you have to wait for the tooltip pop up to figure out what each one is.

It is a useful bank window for taking SSes of your TS hoard, though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

jetz0r posted:

How could this be confusing to anyone?

Alt-labels don't pop up, so it can be really hard to find something with that window. Just with TS stuff, a bunch of silks, pelts, ores and misc things all use the same icon and you have to wait for the tooltip pop up to figure out what each one is.

It is a useful bank window for taking SSes of your TS hoard, though.

Holy poo poo! My bank slots are not even full, and I don't do any tradeskill stuff yet. That pic terrified me---how do you find anything? I have about ten trader's satchels, and only like four of them have anything in them.

That level formula a while back: do you round fractions up or down before you add one?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo! My bank slots are not even full, and I don't do any tradeskill stuff yet. That pic terrified me---how do you find anything? I have about ten trader's satchels, and only like four of them have anything in them.

Illa is a masta flippa

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I followed a post on Redguides.com and have installed and compiled MQ2. I guess I need to set up ISBoxer now? This is all so confusing :sigh: Can anyone kind of walk me through it please?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 23, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I see what I believe is also rawhide gorgets and I don't blame you for holding onto those. What a pain in the rear end for the tailoring trophy.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 12, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ok so I did both of those and I can now have my dude run around and kill poo poo on his own, which is pretty awesome. Now, for multiple accounts, does each account get a MQ2 command window? Is there anything special I need to know about boxing with MQ2?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stanos posted:

I see what I believe is also rawhide gorgets and I don't blame you for holding onto those. What a pain in the rear end for the tailoring trophy.

Correct! I try to keep some of the more pain the rear end items like those around. Both for sale and in case someone I know needs one.
Tainted Feathers, Fractured Shards, Goral Fins and Braxi Horns stacking to 100 would clear up 80+ slots in there :(

DerekSmartymans posted:

That level formula a while back: do you round fractions up or down before you add one?

That's the stockpile on my trader, basically all that is in the 'To sell' queue. You can see some of the deeper in bags were kinda organized, the top bags are auto-inv'd with whatever. A lot of the items with shared icons are put into different bags, so when I'm looking through the bank with the normal bank window, I can hold alt and scan the tooltip names for the quality of ore/pelt/silk that I'm looking for and find the 3-5 stacks of it in that one bag. In theory, I could spend a long time organizing all the misc stuff by quality or skill. But that wouldn't hold up well for moving lots of stacks in and out without wasting space I don't have.

A;ways assume that EQ truncates the fractions off when it needs a whole number.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

It took them a month of me constantly training every single person who tried to take half of the Grounds camps from me to send the first warning email.

Too bad I can PL a new SK in a day. I'll make you rue the day you thought you could take swarming from SKs, Sony.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Is there a goon group playing anywhere any more? Not sure how up to date the first post is.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
What's the biggest difference between the three plate tank classes now? I'll be doing single group stuff with friends mainly with a tiny chance I'll raid. Can they still throw on a two hander and do a little DPS if tanking isn't needed?

If someone could do a "how to tank" mini guide I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find very much on the web that was current.

EDIT:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/a-knights-guide-to-tanking-info-dump-for-the-commonwealth.180/

I found this guide on the EQ forums. It's mainly about knight tanking but there are some warriors commenting there as well.

Givin fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 23, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

Is there a goon group playing anywhere any more? Not sure how up to date the first post is.

Most are on Test but there's 3-4 who are actual serious raiders on a live server you may want to go with (Test server raiding is horrific), with 1-2 other goons on different live servers.

Givin posted:

What's the biggest difference between the three plate tank classes now? I'll be doing single group stuff with friends mainly with a tiny chance I'll raid. Can they still throw on a two hander and do a little DPS if tanking isn't needed?

If someone could do a "how to tank" mini guide I'd appreciate it. I couldn't find very much on the web that was current.

SK/Pal are great in group content, some would say better than warriors due to their utility (group heals/buffs etc) but SK is almost completely terrible raid wise, Pal is useful in raids for their group heals but rarely used as progression tanks, warriors still top raid tanks. All of them do so little damage compared to actual DPS that it isn't worth ranking them.

Can't speak of a war/pal how to guide but can SK: Use your god drat lifetaps and discs. 99% of the SKs you're going to group with will literally not press more than 1-2 buttons because "hey I can survive not doing more so I shouldn't!". If you want to be an SK who isn't complete poo poo then you need to be lifetapping and disc using constantly.

Another sign of a lovely SK vs a good SK is that you don't save your CD's for "oh poo poo" emergencies. Unless you know for certain that you're going to need a CD for a big named that's incoming, use your god drat CDs like candy, saving them for moments in which you heroically pop them all and save the group single handedly are almost never, ever going to happen and you're just making GBS threads up the group by not using the entire time.

For spells to use for tanking, SK's have 4 major AE aggro spells/AA's to use, the Explosion lines (Spite/Hatred) and Repugnance/Terror line (one is AE terror the other starts out as exploding your pet but by 100 they make it exploding yourself basically).

Lastly if you're wondering if you're a bad SK look at your mana and endurance bar. Are both of them 90% or up? Then you're a bad SK. Start pressing poo poo.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 23, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Midnight City posted:

It took them a month of me constantly training every single person who tried to take half of the Grounds camps from me to send the first warning email.

Too bad I can PL a new SK in a day. I'll make you rue the day you thought you could take swarming from SKs, Sony.

How are you STILL not sick of doing nothing but swarming Grounds :psyduck:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I usually have at minimum 5 instances of EQ opened doing other poo poo while swarming, 2 SK's, whatever character I'm Pling and a mage/necro I do RoF/COTF partisan bullshit with. I hate even trying to use more than 2 characters at the same time for real poo poo so 3 of them are usually in completely different zones at any given time. Also helps to be playing on a 70" tv.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 23, 2014

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Midnight City posted:

I usually have at minimum 5 instances of EQ opened doing other poo poo while swarming

drat...EQ must seem like a job instead of a game :-)!

In content, are SKs any good for pl'ing a character? I. Have a heroic SK that I don't understand (but he made LGuk a mess when I snuck my rogue in to kill the Fabled Ghoul Assassin!) how to play well, but I feel reasonably safe pulling ogre skeletons in Crescent Reach for my second account druid who is only lvl 10. Any tips or tricks a SK uses to PL are appreciated!

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

If you're a heroic character then you're more than geared enough to PL any class to 70 using damage shield method. Load up on your SK's DS spells (Cloak + Banshee Skin) plus use your actual cloak click for more DS, then put your healer merc on passive and run around collecting a bunch of social aggro mobs, use your AE terror spells a few times on the mobs, bring your PLee in to AE them with any kind of point blank AE spell that does at least 1 point damage, put your DS on and soak in the XP.

The first pull in Crescent Reach is the shittiest because the dragon whelps and fungus and lions don't have social aggro so you have to aggro each one, once you move on to the skeletons they are social aggro so you just run around letting them aggro, much faster.

Crescent Reach to 25, Mistmoore to 42, Crypt of Nadox to 60, Dragonscale Hills to 70.

Alternates to Mistmoore are in Blightfire Moors but unless you've ruined your aggro and already at KOS to the bees then they aren't social aggro and you shouldn't go.

If your class doesn't have a point blank AE spell very early on then buy oil of fennin ro potions from Zordak in SolB. He has a very long respawn time and he's used for cleric epic where he despawns so you might not find him up when you need him, so buy a ton of potions whenever you can if you need them.

As an SK your DS is not going to be anywhere near a mage/bard doing the PLing but you can surpass them by sheer numbers, you want to pull as many as you're able to live with attacking you from behind while your merc keeps you alive and you keep aggro, at low levels you'll even want to turn your back to them and sit down repeatedly to ensure they hit you faster.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 23, 2014

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Not that I get provision from ISBoxer or anything, but I forgot to mention a few other sweet benefits of it. First, it allows you to run EQ in true "fullscreen windowed" mode as we know it from WoW, where it takes up the entire screen precisely, but still allows you to instantly alt-tab between instances and other programs without that typical "flicker" you get when tabbing out from a 3D fullscreen game. Second; when running normal EQ, a window loading a zone (or entering the world, or reloading a UI) pretty much hijacks your entire computer; at least I cannot alt-tab to any other program (nor EQ instance) until it's done loading. This isn't so with ISBoxer - free alt-tabbing all around no matter how busy your EQ windows are.

Midnight City posted:

If your class doesn't have a point blank AE spell very early on then buy oil of fennin ro potions from Zordak in SolB. He has a very long respawn time and he's used for cleric epic where he despawns so you might not find him up when you need him, so buy a ton of potions whenever you can if you need them.
I recommend just starting a fresh Bard on another account and have him join the PLee. He will eat a tiny amount of XP, but it's offset by the huge ease he brings with the level 2 AoE song. Getting kill credit just doesn't get easier.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Pilsner posted:

Not that I get provision from ISBoxer or anything, but I forgot to mention a few other sweet benefits of it. First, it allows you to run EQ in true "fullscreen windowed" mode as we know it from WoW, where it takes up the entire screen precisely, but still allows you to instantly alt-tab between instances and other programs without that typical "flicker" you get when tabbing out from a 3D fullscreen game. Second; when running normal EQ, a window loading a zone (or entering the world, or reloading a UI) pretty much hijacks your entire computer; at least I cannot alt-tab to any other program (nor EQ instance) until it's done loading. This isn't so with ISBoxer - free alt-tabbing all around no matter how busy your EQ windows are.

I recommend just starting a fresh Bard on another account and have him join the PLee. He will eat a tiny amount of XP, but it's offset by the huge ease he brings with the level 2 AoE song. Getting kill credit just doesn't get easier.

I have an account totally full of level 70 bards for that exact reason

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The heroic character thing has me thinking about getting back into EQ to mess around. I have a bunch of accounts to put together a 3 box team of basically whatever. Keeping in mind that I'll be a dirty casual, what's better tanking-wise: 1- a boxed knight in casual gear (aka, I ain't gonna have raid gear or farm old-rear end AC augs); 2- mage pet(s); 3- tank merc(s); 4- screw tanking just kite? I quit playing seriously before mercs existed. I also heard mage pets had been buffed to be very good group tanks, but that was a few expansions ago. Could go two mages or two tank mercs if that's the answer.

Anyway, once I have the tank deal figured out, putting together the rest of the group should be easy/fun.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're just gonna chode around definitely go for the pet tank. Just remember, no melee are allowed with pet tanks so it's going to be an all ranged (ie, casters) party. I'd do mage/druid/(variety) with the variety being a wizard, necro, bard, enchanter, something along those lines with a cleric merc and 2 wizard mercs.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
If the SK uses social aggro to draw in a swarm of ogre skeletons in CR (for example), will the mobs not attack the AoE spell caster once that spell is cast? I won't be able to test this until tonight, but I really want to try this with my 85 SK and my 12 Druid. The druid doesn't have a PBAoE, but she just got a AoE rain spell (Cascade of Hail, lvl 12) and I was wondering if she could just target the SK from further out and then CoH the mobs to get kill credit!

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I can't tell you guys how many times I've killed Vulak and he still hasn't dropped that goddamned Abashi rod. Are there any similar clickies that are worth getting? I know the end boss of Vex Thal drops one, but I either don't get how that zone works or someone keeps it's perma-cleared.

I've got a 95nec and two 85mages I'm learning to 3-box if that helps with suggestions for attainable clickies.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You use PBAEs because they don't have a cap on targets. Rains have a cap of 4 (or 5 later, poo poo I don't remember). Get some oil of fennin ro or wait until 21 when you get Earthquake.

Also be very careful of undead mobs because they have bizarre aggro. A lot of them use proximity aggro and will randomly turn and beat the poo poo out of lowbies if you aren't wary of it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stanos posted:

You use PBAEs because they don't have a cap on targets. Rains have a cap of 4 (or 5 later, poo poo I don't remember). Get some oil of fennin ro or wait until 21 when you get Earthquake.

Also be very careful of undead mobs because they have bizarre aggro. A lot of them use proximity aggro and will randomly turn and beat the poo poo out of lowbies if you aren't wary of it.

All good info. Thanks!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DerekSmartymans posted:

If the SK uses social aggro to draw in a swarm of ogre skeletons in CR (for example), will the mobs not attack the AoE spell caster once that spell is cast? I won't be able to test this until tonight, but I really want to try this with my 85 SK and my 12 Druid. The druid doesn't have a PBAoE, but she just got a AoE rain spell (Cascade of Hail, lvl 12) and I was wondering if she could just target the SK from further out and then CoH the mobs to get kill credit!
In my experience, proximity agro (just standing nearest the mob) takes priority up until around level 35-40ish... I tried DS PL'ing on my Monk some time ago, and by the time I got to level 40-45 mobs, they would start aggroing for real, as in going for the lowbie doing the AoE spell, because my Monk could not generate any proper hate. Proximity and pull aggro (just being the first on the hate list) will last you a while, but not too long.

As far as I recall, it takes some extra hate more than just getting on top of the hate list in order to steal aggro. Let's say pulling puts you at a default 100 points hate. If you do small amounts of damage with your twink, he will eventually surpass that number. I think it requires something like +10% on top of the current #1 hate person in order to steal aggro. You can see this if you have the threat meter active.

For safety, speed and even being able to do it at level 40+, you will need to create some real hate. This can be done best with no-damage SK and Warrior AoE hate spells, and a very distant second-best by self-healing. Priests are actually pretty decent PL'ers because they can do massive self-healing, quickly. It doesn't work well at low levels since mobs do virtually no damage (except a little for Shamans, who can Cannibalize to take some damage), but in Nadox for example, my Shaman would pull a train, spam sit to take a lot of damage, do huge heals on himself, repeat for a while, and he would have the mobs on lockdown, threat-wise.

You can also target the mobs individually and cast a nuke (in the cast of your Druid), one at a time, but it's cumbersome. You'll have to eek out the levels by hand until you get Tremor at level 21.

I've written a guide for all this here: http://www.zlizeq.com/Guides-Power_Levelling#2_Damage_Shield_Power_Levelling

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
<snip awesome post>

Great info here, too!

By the time I get my druid to 40, she will no longer be power leveling but just another player with my 51 rogue. I also read that post on the eq forums about generating hate, so when I get home I cannot wait to try it out.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

DerekSmartymans posted:

<snip awesome post>

Great info here, too!

By the time I get my druid to 40, she will no longer be power leveling but just another player with my 51 rogue. I also read that post on the eq forums about generating hate, so when I get home I cannot wait to try it out.

The 85 SK has a huge variety of AE Aggro options that do no damage and are perfect for doing what you want. You just prox aggro the zone, cast a couple of those, then there's no way the lowbie is gonna get aggro from anything. I'm not sure if you can buy Explosion of Spite/Hatred AAs yet at 85, but just pressing both of those buttons every pull is plenty

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MrTheDevious posted:

The 85 SK has a huge variety of AE Aggro options that do no damage and are perfect for doing what you want. You just prox aggro the zone, cast a couple of those, then there's no way the lowbie is gonna get aggro from anything. I'm not sure if you can buy Explosion of Spite/Hatred AAs yet at 85, but just pressing both of those buttons every pull is plenty

Yeah I was reading up on SK pl'ing and found out about those spells for drawing aggro. Looks like that'll do it for a while, at least far enough to get my druid to group with my rogue which is the reason for all of this in the first place!

My druid has a tank merc. Any suggestions for this part of the game? Is a tank merc preferred? Is any merc needed? What about a caster dps merc?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Tank merc is basically a god until late 50s then tapers off. Healer mercs are probably the most useful/well coded with some spell blocking and can do the job good enough. Usually caster mercs are favored over rogue mercs but I have barely played since the wizard mercs got hosed up so I'm not sure if that holds anymore. Tank mercs to 100 work alright but they tend to get the poo poo kicked out of them and take a lot more spike damage than a real tank would. There's also a decent amount of named that a tank merc simply cannot handle in group content. USUALLY a tank merc with 2 healer mercs/healer merc and a backup healer will work but there's still a few that annihilate them on a bad round.

In general though, using a merc is better than not using a merc. They do steal XP and don't provide the group bonus a real player does but the mercs are yours and if you're like me and enjoy being able to chode and go afk for stretches and/or leave when you get bored they're good.

Zliz/Pilsner has a really great website with this information, I would get acquainted with it. Almar's guides are also very good and he has a basic merc FAQ too:

http://almarsguides.com/eq/

(merc guide http://almarsguides.com/eq/general/mercenaries.cfm)

I don't know how heroic characters are done merc wise but if you get 85s do your J5s asap. Ignore the previous levels unless you just want to do the quests for roleplay/fun, J1 is fine until about 80 then they get really bad. The difference between J1 and J5 is night and day. The quest is relatively easy outside of a few stinkers.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 24, 2014

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

On the topic of J5s, if any one on Test needs help with the quest for it, feel free to shoot Thalyn a message.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Carl Seitan posted:

On the topic of J5s, if any one on Test needs help with the quest for it, feel free to shoot Thalyn a message.

And Thayln becomes the only person who doesn't loving loathe that quest chain left in the entire game :v:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

And Thayln becomes the only person who doesn't loving loathe that quest chain left in the entire game :v:

Hah. Well, I've only been through it twice so far. Did it the other day for one of my new mages and start-to-finish, it took maybe an hour or so with my nec rolling through everything.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah they changed the way the thrall hails work now. It works for everyone in the group.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Proximity aggro is only something you have to worry about if your PLer doesn't have any AE aggro spells like mage / druid, if you're using an SK or Bard then it doesn't matter where you're standing, stand in the middle of the mobs the entire time and you'll never get aggro. If you're using a mage/dru/ranger then you need to always be standing further away from the mobs than the PLer, a good rule of thumb is to just stand right on the other side of the Pler keeping it between you and the mobs, so it looks like this:

PLee > PLer > Mobs

Mobs > Pler > Plee

If you don't keep them further away from you than the Pler they will just randomly hit you sometimes and you die instantly.

Also no rain spells, PBAE only and it must do 1 point of damage not just give them a debuff that does no damage.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
What's the deal with the heroic character? I thought you got one free one, made a couple of accounts to box with and see all the newer stuff, but none of th enew accounts have the free boost available.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DigitalMocking posted:

What's the deal with the heroic character? I thought you got one free one, made a couple of accounts to box with and see all the newer stuff, but none of th enew accounts have the free boost available.

From what I understand it's one free per account made prior to 11/2013.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

Newer accounts are limited to one heroic character per a 'household', aka ip address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
We are starting to attempt xorbb1 :woop:, it's cool as heck so far. Findle is one tough midget. They hit like dog poo poo when not powered up, so tanks should have it pretty easy until we get findle down. Which means we can get more raid splashes going, because the fire ball aura is quite large and slow.

People weren't blobbed up which seemed to hurt us pretty bad when findle warps to some idiot 4 miles from the raid.