Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Just watch Carter's introduction and stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Punch Card posted:

A few days ago I had a day where Don S. Davis popped up in every non-live sports thing I watched, starting with Miracle and ending with Best in Show. He was everywhere, and he was awesome.

There's only one thing to say to that..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sucks that in the last episode of SG-1 we barely get two minutes to say goodbye to the Asgard, pretty much the oldest friends Earth has, before the planet is unceremoniously blown up to kill a measly two Ori ships.

I get that they were strained for time (on the episode runtime, I mean), but still.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I recently got Netflix, and when I saw Atlantis on there, I decided I'd watch some of the best episodes. Your Tao of Rodney, your The Game, your The Shrine, and all the season premieres and finales (because boy, do I love me some space battles).

Then, I started to check out which other episodes I had fond memories of. Now I've watched every single one, except for two that are mainly about Teyla.

Before now, I didn't know I missed this franchise so much. And I can't even drown my sorrows with SG-1, because that isn't on Netflix for some reason...

richardfun fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 23, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

richardfun posted:

I recently got Netflix, and when I saw Atlantis on there, I decided I'd watch some of the best episodes. Your Tao of Rodney, your The Game, your The Shrine, and all the season premieres and finales (because boy, do I love me some space battles).

Then, I started to check out which other episodes I had fond memories of. Now I've watched every single one, except for two that are mainly about Teyla.

Before now, I didn't know I missed this franchise so much. And I can't even drown my sorrows with SG-1, because that isn't on Netflix for some reason...

Stargate: Atlantis isn't on Netflix amigo :(

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Netflix UK :eng101:

SG1 and Universe aren't on there oddly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Punch Card posted:

A few days ago I had a day where Don S. Davis popped up in every non-live sports thing I watched, starting with Miracle and ending with Best in Show. He was everywhere, and he was awesome.

Did you see the best one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lab6gyWsMXo

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

This was amazing. :allears:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Stargate: Atlantis isn't on Netflix amigo :(

It is for me. Netflix in the Netherlands.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Kinda sucks that in the last episode of SG-1 we barely get two minutes to say goodbye to the Asgard, pretty much the oldest friends Earth has, before the planet is unceremoniously blown up to kill a measly two Ori ships.

I get that they were strained for time (on the episode runtime, I mean), but still.

The world building really just kinda died towards the end and I'm glad it didn't go on. We got an Ancient super-city in the SF bay and posthuman tech in our intergalactic ships' databanks. Modern Earth culture or Earth anything doesn't even exist in the SG world anymore. It's power level inflation but for space opera instead of Super Saiyans.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Slavik
May 10, 2009

twoot posted:

Netflix UK :eng101:

SG1 and Universe aren't on there oddly.

They are on the UK's lovefilm/amazon prime at the moment

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zelenka is on Arrow if anybody else still cries themselves to sleep over the end of Atlantis.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mitchell was just on Arrow too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Zelenka is on Arrow if anybody else still cries themselves to sleep over the end of Atlantis.

And he's amazing there too. :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Mitchell was just on Arrow too.

I'm sorry but John Crichton was just on Arrow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

I'm sorry but John Crichton was just on Arrow.

If this was a Farscape thread, I'd have used that character instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

If this was a Farscape thread, I'd have used that character instead.

It doesn't matter what thread we are in. You don't refer to the savior by the wrong name. John Crichton.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Um the only savior I know is John Sheridan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

Um the only savior I know is John Sheridan.

He's not the savior, no matter how awesome his hair is.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ba'al is guest starring on The Americans atm. He looks the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Ba'al is guest starring on The Americans atm. He looks the same.

Of course he does. A God does not age.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Of course he does. A God does not age.

Or clones. So so many clones.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Teyla is a bad character but my God, I just got to the episode where she sings and I'm on the verge of dropping the show

(I won't because it's great but Jesus Christ)

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Teyla is a bad character but my God, I just got to the episode where she sings and I'm on the verge of dropping the show

Your almost over the hump iirc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

We've been bitching about that episode for years, welcome to the party.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!
All of the non-Teyla parts of that episode are awesome though. Is there an edited version anywhere out there?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The only thing I can say for Luttrell is that that's her actual singing voice. It's a shame, too, 'cause she's not a bad actress (or singer), you just get the sense that the writers had no idea what the gently caress to do with her, thus paving the way towards the trainwreck of 'how many warrior woman/gentle native cliches can we pull out of our asses this week?'

Otherwise, yeah, that scene is like full-body immersion into crippling second-hand embarrassment.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

An Old Boot posted:

The only thing I can say for Luttrell is that that's her actual singing voice. It's a shame, too, 'cause she's not a bad actress (or singer), you just get the sense that the writers had no idea what the gently caress to do with her, thus paving the way towards the trainwreck of 'how many warrior woman/gentle native cliches can we pull out of our asses this week?'

Otherwise, yeah, that scene is like full-body immersion into crippling second-hand embarrassment.

:crossarms:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

The world building really just kinda died towards the end and I'm glad it didn't go on. We got an Ancient super-city in the SF bay and posthuman tech in our intergalactic ships' databanks. Modern Earth culture or Earth anything doesn't even exist in the SG world anymore. It's power level inflation but for space opera instead of Super Saiyans.

Can you imagine all the conspiracy theories that would exist after the Stargate project and it's offshoots were made public? Bet there would be a lot of people saying that we must have killed the Asgard.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

DeusExMachinima posted:

C'mon, it's Stargate. Most of the time we got an extra alien, or sometimes Earth, ship it'd be blown up by the end of the episode. I really expected that with the one holding all of the Asgard knowledge at the end. You know they'd do something to undo the advantage if they wanted to continue the show. I mean, Atlantis itself should have more knowledge than the Asgard database anyways given how old the ancients were.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nullsmack posted:

I mean, Atlantis itself should have more knowledge than the Asgard database anyways given how old the ancients were.

Asgard technology is more user friendly and comes with instructions, Ancient tech will blow up your planet if you push the wrong button.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nullsmack posted:

C'mon, it's Stargate. Most of the time we got an extra alien, or sometimes Earth, ship it'd be blown up by the end of the episode. I really expected that with the one holding all of the Asgard knowledge at the end. You know they'd do something to undo the advantage if they wanted to continue the show. I mean, Atlantis itself should have more knowledge than the Asgard database anyways given how old the ancients were.

Sure the Hatak motherships blew up like Pintos but the Prometheus lasted... 3 seasons until it got blown up by something they'd never seen before? And the Russians lost their cruiser at the supergate battle but lol being Russian in an American show. They were the redshirts of SG-1. Anyway by the last movies the Ori deathballs were target practice.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Hey, that's where I dropped the show. Memories...

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Hey, that's where I dropped the show. Memories...

I'm actually really enjoying it for the most part, it's just that Teyla is awful. I like that it feels different to SG1 in a few subtle ways (eg everyone calling each other by their first names since they aren't military) rather than just being a beat for beat retread

EDIT: one of the things that annoys me the most about her is such a tiny stupid thing but I hate whenever it happens - they gave her Data-esque contraction-free dialogue. She never says "can't" or "won't", it's always "cannot" or "will not". It's an awful writing crutch that bad scifi writers lean on to make a boring character sound different or exotic but it never does anything but make them dull and stilted and lovely. Compare that to Ronan who actually talks like a real person and is a far better character for it

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 28, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nullsmack posted:

I mean, Atlantis itself should have more knowledge than the Asgard database anyways given how old the ancients were.

They did sort of mention this when Daniel finally gets to Atlantis. That their database had more info on the Ori then the Asgard. You also never knew what the Ancient technology would go. Do you forget Rodney and John's Civ game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The tech and power inflation of the Tau'ri throughout the Stargate franchise is actually one of my favorite things about it. As trekkie, I have watched 20+ seasons that take place in a universe where technological advancement and crazy discoveries have no effect on the setting, and Stargate blew me away with the way they incorporated alien technology encountered on the show into the show's setting.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

DeusExMachinima posted:

Sure the Hatak motherships blew up like Pintos but the Prometheus lasted... 3 seasons until it got blown up by something they'd never seen before? And the Russians lost their cruiser at the supergate battle but lol being Russian in an American show. They were the redshirts of SG-1. Anyway by the last movies the Ori deathballs were target practice.

Yeah, the ships that they had plot for stayed around for a while. Prometheus and Atlantis are prime examples of that. But I was specifically referring to the Hatak motherships, and I think the Atlantis crew got their hands on a wraith or atlantian ship or two briefly. Completely forgot about the Russians version of the 303(?).

I need to watch Atlantis again. I got the whole series a while back for a really good deal. I think it was $35 for all 5 seasons. I'm receiving the SG-1 DVDs as gifts so rewatching that is going slow. On the other hand, I've seen SG-1 episodes more times than Atlantis episodes

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm not the only person who notices that the language selection screen for SG:A has "C:/" instead of "C:\" and finds that annoying, am I?

Also, the promo videos (the un-skippable promo videos! :argh:) on the last disc of season one... Argh, Stargate: The Alliance, you were meant to be! And it was being made by Australians, too!

So many different emotions were evoked, even before starting up The Siege: Part 3...and none of them positive...

Fooord!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Major Isoor posted:

I'm not the only person who notices that the language selection screen for SG:A has "C:/" instead of "C:\" and finds that annoying, am I?

Also, the promo videos (the un-skippable promo videos! :argh:) on the last disc of season one... Argh, Stargate: The Alliance, you were meant to be! And it was being made by Australians, too!

So many different emotions were evoked, even before starting up The Siege: Part 3...and none of them positive...

Fooord!

:negative:

I'm pretty sure you're the only person to ever care about Ford