Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

I'm populating my wedding registry. Is it safe to assume that honing steels are essentially all identical, and the difference between a 40 dollar one and a 240 dollar one is only about two hundred dollar?

Related, automatic knife sharpeners. Are they all crap? If not, what's a good one?

Honing steels are not all equal, but you're right that there's no reason to spend big bucks on them. Get the longest and smoothest steel one you can find - ideally, get one that is longer than your longest knife. I recommend an Idahone ceramic honing steel but it's unlikely to be available anywhere that does wedding registries. I would steer clear of diamond abrasive hones.

Automatic knife sharpeners are indeed all crap. They will sharpen your knives, but the edges that they create will not last, and they will remove a lot of material from your knives. If you don't cook much, don't care about your knives, or just don't want to learn how to use a sharpening stone, then an automatic knife sharpener is fine. Knife nerds act like your knife will immediately explode if you use one, but they're not quite that bad.

If you have a knife with reasonably hard steel (carbon steel or almost any Japanese culinary knife) then using it in an automatic sharpener is asking for trouble. For traditional German chef's knives with relatively soft steel an automatic sharpener would be less of a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Agreed with the above. Additionally, I personally recommend LamsonSharp Knifesafes for knife storage, which come in a variety of sizes and allow you to safely store them in drawers. This is of course unless you're storing poo poo like vegetable cleavers.

If you're using expensive knives don't sharpen them with automatics. If you're using some bullshit you're just going to throw away, then I assume you're not the type to ask about a 200 dollar honing steel. Learn the right way to sharpen or send 'em off to be sharpened by someone else who knows the right way. This isn't because automatic sharpeners don't give you a sharp edge though, it's because you made an investment in expensive knives and you should want to extend their lifespan by keeping as much metal on the blade as you can.

Parting note I've read very good things about the F Dick Multicut honing steel.

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Mar 23, 2014

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Duly noted; I suspected that was gonna be the case when it came to sharpeners, but wanted to check. The fiancee has set up registries at Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma; I'll list a long enough honing steel, but is it worth listing one of the whetstones as well and learning how to sharpen by hand? Or should I just suck it up and find somebody local to handle this stuff for me?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You only need to sharpen your knives like once a year (and only the knives you consistently use). I always just paid someone to do it for me, but it's up to you. It's like changing the oil in your car.. it's not as much a cost thing, as it is that some people just really like doing it by hand.

Also, don't get a bullshit 15-piece knife set or whatever. Spend the big bucks on a handful of knives that you're going to constantly use. I have three Shun knives and wouldn't trade them for an entire set of something else.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Mar 23, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The only person I've ever known to sharpen their knife all the loving time was a sushi chef

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I have three different knives I like to use, I've had them for a few years and they've never been sharpened, and I like physical rituals (on that note, I also listen to vinyl). So sharpening my own knives sounds like a pretty decent proposition. Is one of the whetstones on Williams-Sonoma a decent way to do it, or should I put cash elsewhere?

Also, since it got lost in the knife-chat and new page: My tv has a game mode hdmi input, which I'd like to be able to use for multiple consoles without unplugging and plugging and managing a bunch of cables. What's a good HDMI hub that I can plug all the consoles into, plug the hub into the game hdmi input, and then just press switches on the hub when I want to switch to a different input device?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Coca Koala posted:

Duly noted; I suspected that was gonna be the case when it came to sharpeners, but wanted to check. The fiancee has set up registries at Pottery Barn and Williams-Sonoma; I'll list a long enough honing steel, but is it worth listing one of the whetstones as well and learning how to sharpen by hand? Or should I just suck it up and find somebody local to handle this stuff for me?

Sharpening on a stone is not by any means difficult, and there are plenty of tutorials online. It just takes a little time, but if you like physical rituals then you'll love stone sharpening.

Local knife sharpeners often use grinding wheels to sharpen, which is almost guaranteed to gently caress up the temper of your knife with heat. I was shocked when I walked into a store in St. Louis that sold mid-high end Japanese knives and saw that their sharpening setup was a giant sanding wheel,

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Coca Koala posted:

.....good HDMI hub......

What you are looking for is actually called a HDMI switcher. There are literally thousands of the things out there now.. I have used several of them, all very cheap, and never ran into a problem with any. If you spend more than $40 you are spending too much. I am using this one right now: http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Intell...s=HDMI+switcher

I have seen some TV s that have handshake issues when the source is switched, but these where all older TVs; HDMI issues where fairly common on first generation HDMI devices.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Sharpening on a wheel or belt is fine, provided you know what the gently caress you are doing. Determining this before some fool ruins your knives is the hard part.

Hand sharpening is rewarding but can be frustrating as hell until it clicks for you. Both TFR and GWS both have knife threads that can get you started on what to buy/ask for. The best advice is to buy a cheap knife or knives to practice on and to invest in a strop to use after the stone.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

bunnielab posted:

Sharpening on a wheel or belt is fine, provided you know what the gently caress you are doing. Determining this before some fool ruins your knives is the hard part.

Hand sharpening is rewarding but can be frustrating as hell until it clicks for you. Both TFR and GWS both have knife threads that can get you started on what to buy/ask for. The best advice is to buy a cheap knife or knives to practice on and to invest in a strop to use after the stone.

Unless you are a professional sushi chef entering an unusually important sushi competition and cutting up unusually friable fish there is really no reason to strop a kitchen knife. It certainly won't hurt it, but the difference between a knife sharpened on a fine grit waterstone and a knife sharpened on a fine grit waterstone and then a strop is miniscule. I know that everyone on the internet seems to think that it's totally normal and desirable to strop their 10" chef knives but I have never even heard it mentioned anywhere other than online forums.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Well sure, if you own a super fine waterstone then yea, stroping isn't going to do a ton, but if you are using a basic "fine" oil stone as most people start out on, a $15 strop will make a ton of difference. I would not recommend waterstones for a beginner any way, a decent Norton Course/Fine, a bottle of mineral oil, and a strop will be about as much or less then a single decent waterstone.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Any recommendations for a car mount for an iPhone 5S? I had an old suction cup mount for my 4 but my new phone doesn't fit in obviously. It was just a cheap suction cup mount that I fixed double sided tape to for extra strength. Id prefer if it didn't scratch the phone when inserting or removing and if it could do vertical or horizontal orientation that would be preferred.

Car is a Mitsubishi lancer if that matters.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
RAM make excellent mounts. They have iPhone-specific models, or a generalized X-Grip model that'll hold anything (useful if you use a case/may change phones in the future.)

The X-Grip, which I have and love, would need loosening and tightening to switch between vertical and horizontal (it only has about 30 degrees of rotation) if that's a dealbreaker. Not sure if the iPhone variant would need that as well but I suspect so. Also if you don't use a case, the X-Grip has a tendency to actuate side buttons unless you place it ~just so~, but if you use a case it isn't a problem. If you don't use a case, maybe the iPhone-specific mount would be better for you.

Edit: Either of those links go to JUST the cradle--for car windshield mounting you'd attach said cradle to their suction cup mount. Or buy the whole kit on Amazon.

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Mar 25, 2014

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Need new wipers for my car which is a fairly foreign purchase to me. Is there even a recommended brand/type of blades?
2009 Accord if this matters at all (already looked it up and I believe I need a 26"/19" set)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Need new wipers for my car which is a fairly foreign purchase to me. Is there even a recommended brand/type of blades?
2009 Accord if this matters at all (already looked it up and I believe I need a 26"/19" set)

I usually just buy whatever is middle of the road in price and have never noticed much difference. You should stick your used blades in the new one's packaging and stash them in your trunk. If something happens to the set on the car during a storm you will be super super glad to have a replacement at hand.

Mushinronsha
Apr 14, 2006

Please do not feed poinsettias to animals, its not good for them and I dont want PI to yell at me.

couldcareless posted:

I heard about PIAA Super Silicone blades not too long ago, and I'm definitely picking up a pair next time I replace my blades. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002Z9QWQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They are supposed to be super awesome in every way and last like 3 years before you need new ones.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Any recommendations for a car mount for an iPhone 5S? I had an old suction cup mount for my 4 but my new phone doesn't fit in obviously. It was just a cheap suction cup mount that I fixed double sided tape to for extra strength. Id prefer if it didn't scratch the phone when inserting or removing and if it could do vertical or horizontal orientation that would be preferred.

Check out proclip. A bit pricey, but the solution works perfect.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ray_finkle_himself posted:

http://www.proclipusa.com

Has fantastic but pricey mounts custom made for your car. I've had the spring loaded mount for a year and a half and it's rock solid still.

They do 10-25% promotions around various holidays (like year round), so if you can watch for those it will ease the pain. Sign up for their email deals, there's about 1 a month, last week's was 20% off. :smith:

E: I have this thing, you should find something similar for your phone (choose "with case" I think, otherwise it doesn't show up).

uwaeve has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Mar 25, 2014

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

To Boot is still better than Allen Edmond

Prove it.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

bunnielab posted:

I usually just buy whatever is middle of the road in price and have never noticed much difference. You should stick your used blades in the new one's packaging and stash them in your trunk. If something happens to the set on the car during a storm you will be super super glad to have a replacement at hand.

This is generally what I do as well.

Also, the times that I've bought wiper blades at Target, there's been a huge book where I can look up the make/model of my car, and that lists what size blades I need to get. So if you forget to write it down when you're at the store, it probably won't be a huge crisis.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Allen Edmond look like a 70 year olds church shoes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a desk chair for 12 hour marathon anime sessions day after day. I don't want to spend Aeron money.

What are my options? Should I be looking for mesh seats instead of foam to prevent goon rear end? It seems like all the foam seats I've used are pieces of poo poo that go flat before goku has even finished yelling.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm looking for a desk chair for 12 hour marathon anime sessions day after day. I don't want to spend Aeron money.

What are my options? Should I be looking for mesh seats instead of foam to prevent goon rear end? It seems like all the foam seats I've used are pieces of poo poo that go flat before goku has even finished yelling.

What is your actual budget for this? I was able to find a Steelcase Leap for 500 by trolling Craigslist for a month. Less than that?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

There's always used-Aeron money!

But seriously, look for used office furniture if you're near a big city and they'll probably carry those kinds of nicer chairs.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get a used Steelcase Leap

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking for a really mild moisturizer to use on my face. My skin is really sensitive, so I get breakouts if I wash my face with even plain warm water and don't moisturize after, and if I moisturize with anything even slightly greasy or thick.
I've tried maybe half a dozen brands and the only one I've tried that's worked well is some kind of Vaseline lotion that isn't made anymore. Most are way too thick—I need a lotion that's pretty much the consistency of liquid.
Being able to buy a large-ish bottle of it at your average grocery store or Wal Mart is a big plus too, I'd prefer not to break the bank on fancy stuff. I'm a dude if that makes a difference.
Edit: Right now I have Vaseline Men 24 hour, Vaseline with Aloe, Olay age defying, Jergens Skin Firming, Vaseline Total Moisture, and Aveeno daily moisture at the house , none of which I can use on my face regularly.

martinlutherbling has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Mar 29, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I recently stopped fighting it and clipped my hair off (my head)

Since I don't really need shampoo for my hair anymore, at least I think I don't, I want some good soap that I can use also on my scalp. I want one soap for the whole body. Whatcha got?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

martinlutherbling posted:

I'm looking for a really mild moisturizer to use on my face. My skin is really sensitive, so I get breakouts if I wash my face with even plain warm water and don't moisturize after, and if I moisturize with anything even slightly greasy or thick.
I've tried maybe half a dozen brands and the only one I've tried that's worked well is some kind of Vaseline lotion that isn't made anymore. Most are way too thick—I need a lotion that's pretty much the consistency of liquid.
Being able to buy a large-ish bottle of it at your average grocery store or Wal Mart is a big plus too, I'd prefer not to break the bank on fancy stuff. I'm a dude if that makes a difference.
Edit: Right now I have Vaseline Men 24 hour, Vaseline with Aloe, Olay age defying, Jergens Skin Firming, Vaseline Total Moisture, and Aveeno daily moisture at the house , none of which I can use on my face regularly.

Anthony oil-free face moisturizer. I've even using it for years. It'll cost you, but it lasts for months since you don't use much of it.

Anthony Logistics for Men Oil Free Facial Lotion SPF 15, 2.5 oz. by Anthony Logistics for Men http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HP7IM6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_pWXntb1AKEDVH

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

signalnoise posted:

I recently stopped fighting it and clipped my hair off (my head)

Since I don't really need shampoo for my hair anymore, at least I think I don't, I want some good soap that I can use also on my scalp. I want one soap for the whole body. Whatcha got?

Dr Bronner might be your man.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

neongrey posted:

Dr Bronner might be your man.

Crazy crazy crazy man.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anthony oil-free face moisturizer. I've even using it for years. It'll cost you, but it lasts for months since you don't use much of it.

Anthony Logistics for Men Oil Free Facial Lotion SPF 15, 2.5 oz. by Anthony Logistics for Men http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HP7IM6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_pWXntb1AKEDVH

Does this have any type of scent to it?

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
drat that's pretty pricey, but if it lasts that long it could be worth it.
Seconding Doc Bronners for all over body soap. I like the peppermint kind.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Etrips posted:

I've used it before, and it smells like oranges :iia:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

If you want to be all about knife sharpening, buy some whetstones and read some guides online on how to use them -- it's surprisingly easy once you get the hang of it. The only catch is you can easily mess up the angle until you get it down and it will look obvious on the blade. If you have expensive knives and want a quality sharpen, just pay someone to do it. Otherwise if you are just the average person who has some old knives you want sharpened rather than buying a new set, just pick up a $25 electric knife sharpener and run them through once every year or every 2 years for a decent edge.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'm having real trouble finding a new camera (not a proper SLR - just something for taking on holiday). I need

- 14X + optical zoom (the higher the better)
- Must take AA batteries
- Must be able to select different shooting modes without having to go into a complicated menu - IE must have an external click wheel for selection
- Should take SD (or similar) - no propriety formats
- Video is not something I'm bothered about
- Should be less than £200
- Good megapixels (14 / 16 / etc.)
- Very stable image (however that's achieved)
- Very good night shots

Ones I've considered:

Nikon COOLPIX L610 Compact Digital Camera - no click wheel to select shooting mode
Samsung WB150 Compact Digital Camera - doesn't take AA batteries
Nikon COOLPIX S9300 Compact Digital Camera - doesn't take AA batteries

I can't seem to find one that fit all 3 of the top criteria

Cheers for any help anyone can offer

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Amphigory posted:

I'm having real trouble finding a new camera (not a proper SLR - just something for taking on holiday). I need

- Must take AA batteries
- Must be able to select different shooting modes without having to go into a complicated menu - IE must have an external click wheel for selection
- Very good night shots

Ones I've considered:

Nikon COOLPIX L610 Compact Digital Camera - no click wheel to select shooting mode

I have a Kodak EasyShare Z990 camera, it's sort of halfway between a proper DSLR and a point-and-shoot. It takes really great shots unless I zoom in all the way and then the pictures get a little muddy, although that's probably because I don't usually use a tripod.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Amphigory posted:

- Must take AA batteries
- Very good night shots

Ones I've considered:

Sounds like you want the Canon PowerShot SX160 IS. Honestly it takes pretty bad pictures but if you aren't a ~pro photographer~ it shouldn't bother you too much.

Be forewarned though, if you zoom in that much you will never get a good shot at night and no amount of image stabilization will help.

(Also, megapixel counts and xx TIMES OPTICAL ZOOM is marketing hype and not to be trusted as indicators of camera quality)

Geektox has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Mar 30, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Etrips posted:

Unscented. Doesn't even really smell like much of anything.

It does contain Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Grapefruit Oil, Mandarin Orange Oil, Lemongrass Extract though.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Mar 30, 2014

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Amphigory posted:

- Must take AA batteries
- Very good night shots

The Pentax X-5 is pretty great and can be had for under $200 now. Meets all those requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I need a suggestion for some tough work pants that don't look like poo poo. I'm an IT guy for a manufacturing company and while I mostly sit in my office and do nerd things there, I occasionally have to go help our desktop guys with problems on the production lines. Seems like I wreck a pair of pants every other week or so when I'm out there. My jeans have been caught and ripped on stuff, and if I'm stupid enough to wear slacks of khakis, I get some sort of unspeakable oil/dirt mixture on them that won't come out.

I can go for cheap or tough, but I need it to not look completely like crap. I'm a bigger guy(42x34 or 36 depending on the cut) as well.

Edit: Jeans, slacks or khakis/chinos, whatever. I can wear whatever.

Citizen Z has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread