Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mcclay posted:

Any good Let's Plays for Dark Souls II? I would watch Northern Lion's but he skips all the dialogue.

EpicNameBro would be your best bet right now for a quality DS2 LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GartaU-2-2c

Obvious spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

EpicNameBro would be your best bet right now for a quality DS2 LP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GartaU-2-2c

Obvious spoilers.

Hilariously enough I saw his video just as I posted.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

RSCNyx posted:

Wait, what? Why? That sounds like a really lame thing to do.

because GAMEPLAY.

Also known as the KHII method.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Either that or youtubers these days are subscribing to the school of "NOT GONNA SHOW YOU THIS, YOU'VE GOTTA BUY IT".

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
You're not watching for the game anyway, man. You're watching for the people. That's why we have facecams. Facecams that get bigger every day.

One day we're just gonna have videos where it's nothing BUT facecam. You're just watching people react to the video games that may or may not exist offscreen.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Go back a few page.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mcclay posted:

Yeah I know, multiplayer videos are fine. I just don't want to be listening to some face-cam rear end in a top hat yelling about rape and slinging racial slurs everywhere.

So, a bit of self promotion here: If you are really desperate I have a couple videos of it from like the second or third time I played.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

Jamesman posted:

One day we're just gonna have videos where it's nothing BUT facecam. You're just watching people react to the video games that may or may not exist offscreen.

hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:unsmigghh:

I couldn't even retsupurae it. Because it was just webcam footage of some lass pulling faces...

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Jamesman posted:

You're not watching for the game anyway, man. You're watching for the people. That's why we have facecams. Facecams that get bigger every day.

I've seen one like this, actually: It was a woman playing Super Mario Bros...except you couldn't see Super Mario Bros. Just...her. Nothing else.

She initially called it "Let's Play", but changed the title later on.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Mr DJB posted:

I couldn't even retsupurae it. Because it was just webcam footage of some lass pulling faces...

The best way to retsupurae it would be to record footage of game they're playing and put it over their facecam.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The best videos are where the person tries to do the face cam thing; but gets the videos in the wrong order so that there's a small video of gameplay over the person's face...

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

IceAgeComing posted:

The best videos are where the person tries to do the face cam thing; but gets the videos in the wrong order so that there's a small video of gameplay over the person's face...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
stop hacking into my webcam, gatz

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Jesus, what's wrong with that kid's eyes?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
"sample logo"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

you have a link to this? Just the way that the kid looks, it might be a fun watch...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brony Hunter posted:

Jesus, what's wrong with that kid's eyes?

Fun fact: Gatz used that face as the starting point for his Avatar. A simple photoshop job later and he ended up with his current masterpiece.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Okay, hang on. I'm not even gonna focus on the kid, but he has two watermarks in his video! There's a Bandicam watermark in the smaller game picture!

This is mindblowing.

EDIT: Apparently there's THREE. What the hell happened here?

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 21, 2014

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been enjoying quite a few of Zemalf's LPs lately. He's a slow, thoughtful player with a Finnish accent and a sense of humour that tickles me. He is doing Dark Souls 2 but I've been watching his XCOM: Enemy Within run here. Not for everyone, I bet a lot of people would get impatient, but I enjoy watching him ponder which armour decoration to put on his soldiers.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I believe it was Diabetus who took that screenshot I posted. It was back in 2012, so he probably doesn't remember the video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait, don't most webcams come with video capture software? You don't need to use a trial at all! :psyduck:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Jamesman posted:

Aren't those just vlogs, which are already pretty popular as is?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, don't most webcams come with video capture software? You don't need to use a trial at all! :psyduck:

You gotta catch the video game at the same time live! You can't do that with just webcam software!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Giant Bomb's Friday streaming set-up is approaching facecam singularity, but it doesn't bother me too much. I think it's because they have such an active group dynamic.

I'd like to recommend TapCatVids: https://www.youtube.com/user/TapCatVids/

I found him a few weeks ago when I was looking for an Enemy Within classic ironman LP. Most of his videos only get a few dozen views, but as far as I can tell he's great. He plays lots of strategy games, is knowledgeable, sounds great and keeps up a steady stream of interesting thoughts while playing. He reminds me a little of Geop. There aren't a lot of strategy game LPers out there, and even fewer who play them at high difficulties. GetDaved (who I found through this thread) is the only other one I can really think of.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009
I'm shocked by some of the reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mRnnp41eSg

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

He does have a pretty soothing voice! And views don't really matter. Entertain a few people, or a lot, works the same either way!

That said, I don't think I could sit through an entire video of Civilization.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So PewdiePie's Demographic is... Old Men like over 40, and young men under 18?

E: Seriously, that old white guy though that poo poo was hilarious.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

So PewdiePie's Demographic is... Old Men like over 40, and young men under 18?

The NAMBLA demographic.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I think this image is in the wrong thread.....well wrong sub-forum even.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Amusingly enough (or maybe not, I find it amusing anyway) one of those giant bomb folk is on SA. I don't think it's the fat guy though.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

RSCNyx posted:

It's not just silly, it's downright dangerous. I do wonder if a lot of those popular LPers have a back-up plan, should things go south.

I don't know about every YouTube LPer simply because I don't watch them, but one of my favorite things anybody who lives off of LP has said when it comes to this is SSoH who said something along the lines of "what do you think I'd do if I lost this job? I'd go get another job" He's also mentioned how he saves up money as a back up. As much as the opinion of playing video games on the internet as a "job" varies from person to person the same idea kinda works. I lost my job as a salesman and am now working as a car detailer. It's a pretty simple concept. You lose a job you go find a new one. With that said though, even if I was able to make a living off of just making videos on the internet I'd never rely solely on it. There are just far too many variables of things that could go wrong, especially if it's YouTube.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

e: Thought I was replying to a recent post, ignore me.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Bluebomberimo posted:

I don't know about every YouTube LPer simply because I don't watch them, but one of my favorite things anybody who lives off of LP has said when it comes to this is SSoH who said something along the lines of "what do you think I'd do if I lost this job? I'd go get another job"

America just has an overly high emphasis on "working your way to the top" in your career, and taking "time off" to do YouTube as a job clashes with that since you have to start from the bottom again. (loss of relevance, etc) For people who weren't old enough to have climbed far, or who don't care about that type of a lifestyle then it's a lot less relevant.

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

I forget to register poo poo, 'cause I got high.
Made my face the main event, 'cause I'm high.
Now I think I'm making LP, and I know why. Hey, hey!
'cause I got high, because I got high, because I got high.

...and this is why I should sleep more in the nights.

Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.
I feel like LP (YouTube, at least) will kind of turn into MySpace, where evolutions of it go on and become the next big thing for who knows how long, while what's out there today will still hang around and have a much quieter following. On a literal note, I wonder if a Facebook of LPs could work.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wilkin posted:

On a literal note, I wonder if a Facebook of LPs could work.

Only if we get video status updates like this.

I hope he gets his new headset so he can post another hour and a half long SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT video!

Also, an LP Facebook, should have plenty of downloadable games and poo poo that you can annoy impress your friends with by having it post constant updates to their wall thing whenever you play!

"PEWD BUSTER 9000"
"Scarecam Revolution"

ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES

Jonny McBane
Dec 13, 2013

BMS posted:

Only if we get video status updates like this.

Didn't catch a single word of that...

Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.

BMS posted:

Also, an LP Facebook, should have plenty of downloadable games and poo poo that you can annoy impress your friends with by having it post constant updates to their wall thing whenever you play!

"PEWD BUSTER 9000"
"Scarecam Revolution"

ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES

And then LPs of those games would get Content ID'd and be posted in your feed along with the actual game requests.

It's genius.

Hoppeduppeanut
Oct 27, 2013

Here's a guy I stumbled upon in my recommended videos, goes by the name of The Gaming Grapes.

He's been doing fairly okay with himself, 11 subscribers from 359 videos.

Some of his works include handy updates, such as Thank you for 8 subs (9:44), Thanks for 9 Subs (6:54), WTF is wrong with are subs (9:44) and Call of DUTY series (0:21). Then there are his actual gameplay videos, including such gems as How to survive (1:00:01), My Nose-Bully part 1 (25:12), Black ops 1 (6:11), Black ops 1 (11:56) and Black Ops 2:I met a girl (58:08).

Seriously though, it's a bunch of lovely camcorder videos and inaudible sketches and vlog things. Having said that, the kid has the right spirit (Have fun with his games and :justpost:), just his execution is plain horrible. If he actually gets some proper equipment, learns to edit his videos correctly and stops recycling the same content over and over, he might become (barely) watchable.

At least he doesn't scarecam over his game videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Hoppeduppeanut posted:

Here's a guy I stumbled upon in my recommended videos, goes by the name of The Gaming Grapes.

BMS just made a stunning discovery, and being the good friend I am, I'm going to post it before him and take credit.

just kidding

Perhaps he knows where the Chess Master is?

Still, I'd listen to this guy talk about subscribers for nine minutes as opposed to ever watching this again. He's seriously grinding for souls, on-camera, at the very start of the game. I think he makes...five rooms of progress in 15 minutes?

It's also his first LP on YouTube! Yay! Can't wait for him to finish his approximately 500-part LP of Aria of Sorrow!

• Locked thread