Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sundowner posted:

Any recommendations for any good post-apocalyptic or rebuilt society type stories? I've been writing my own thing lately but I'm kind of running flat on inspiration and now I'm just in the mood to read some good post-apocalypse stories that really sell the setting and the different kinds of people or factions that form.

Read the first book of Cholly and Flytrap and I really liked that so I'm definitely going to pick up more of that.
The Wake is pretty good post-apocalyptic horror, and the art is beyond fantastic. An ancient race of sea-dwelling fishmonsters has overthrown humanity, and drowned most of the world. The vastly-shrunken USA fiercely defends its borders, but the waters rise every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I don't know why I didn't think to start reading The Wake considering I love everything Snyder touches.

Also it just occured to me that Antony Johnston is the writer for Wasteland who currently writes The Fuse which I'm in love with, so I may check out Wasteland after all.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

Any recommendations for any good post-apocalyptic or rebuilt society type stories? I've been writing my own thing lately but I'm kind of running flat on inspiration and now I'm just in the mood to read some good post-apocalypse stories that really sell the setting and the different kinds of people or factions that form.

Read the first book of Cholly and Flytrap and I really liked that so I'm definitely going to pick up more of that.

You might like Revolver, by Matt Kindt.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Squidster posted:

The Wake is pretty good post-apocalyptic horror, and the art is beyond fantastic.
It's also an amazing TRIPLE entendre.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

theflyingorc posted:

It's also an amazing TRIPLE entendre.

I get the funeral wake and the like flooding wake, but what's the third one?

Edit: Oh, duh, people being "woken up" to the true nature of ... well, stuff.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

d00gZ posted:

I get the funeral wake and the like flooding wake, but what's the third one?

They woke up.

^^^
all the monsters literally woke up.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

theflyingorc posted:

They woke up.

^^^
all the monsters literally woke up.

Oh wow, I really AM dumb.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Squidster posted:

The Wake is pretty good post-apocalyptic horror, and the art is beyond fantastic. An ancient race of sea-dwelling fishmonsters has overthrown humanity, and drowned most of the world. The vastly-shrunken USA fiercely defends its borders, but the waters rise every year.

Talking about the art, Sean Murphy has also written and drawn another vertigo series, Punk Rock Jesus. Done in black and white, it feels like an underground zine comic. For better and for worse, this also makes it feel like it's trying to be edgy and slightly outrageous. Which kinda works with it's punk rock aesthetics. Story is simple, future corperation and entertainment powerhouse create a program to clone Jesus from the shroud of Turin, and broadcast it to the world. This is made more complicated by his bodyguard/father-figure whose an ex-NRA hitman(I think?). It's fairly decent and worth a read, especially if you can get it for cheap.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

d00gZ posted:

Oh wow, I really AM dumb.

You got both of the hard ones and missed the obvious one, it's OK.

But yeah, as far as I can tell, triple entendre.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would say that it was the hard one considering it's the only one of the three meanings that is almost exclusively encountered as a verb.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So I saw at Office Depot that DC sells retro/silver-age character usb flash drives: Superman, Batman, Catwoman and Wonder Woman. HOW DO THEY NOT HAVE A FLASH DRIVE.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cos then it'd be a Flash flash drive.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Cos then it'd be a Flash flash drive.
Nah you just have to speak in all caps.

edit:
4GBatman guarding my speakers.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 24, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Can someone sell me on the Moench/Jones Batman run. Word association works, or other options.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

Can someone sell me on the Moench/Jones Batman run. Word association works, or other options.

This is what I posted in the Batman thread:

quote:

Just finished reading the collection and despite the first story which kind of ends abruptly, and the chapter 6 of contagion with absolutely no context whatsoever (seriously why put that in the collection) the comics are still strong. I love the overtly decided gothic tone the comic took, with strange monstrosities, ghosts, mysteries etc. It is still one of the best takes on Batman I have ever seen, and Jones art greatly compliments the style of the stories. I hope the title sells well so the rest of the comics can see the light of day. Possible further joys include a horrific take on the Spectre (ghosts again), the Demon and Joker (horror), Man-Bat (monsters) and other great stories. Don't screw this up for me DC.

The Moench/Jones/Beatty run is what got me back into Batman comics. Basically they took Batman into a more gothic horror direction, and Jones' art was way way up there and a perfect fit. You have stories that are like reading a Poe story with Batman as the main character. This is not to say that it wasn't grounded in some kind of reality. In the first collection there is the mayoral race for Gotham going on. Bruce has to deal with trying to do domestic things (Alfred left at the end of Knightsend) and there is a bit of light hearted humour sprinkled in there.
Overall, if you want short punchy Batman stories that are more horror tinged pick up the Moench/Jones/Beatty stuff. Despite its flaws (the Troika and Contagion issues) the first collection is really quite excellent (and has a great Two-Face story to boot).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Batman riding Killer Croc into the swamp to throw down with Swamp Thing.

That beautiful Batface.

Spectre/Aliens crossover confirmed?!

Greg Burgas wrote up a huge retrospective about the run on CBR a while back--I would highly recommend reading it. Kelley Jones and John Beatty chime in on the article way down in the comments.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 25, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those ears are kind of ridiculous.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

Those ears are kind of ridiculous.

Kelly's design for Batman went with long pointy ears and a cape that takes up most of the page. Realistically it is crazy, but given the style he went for it comes across as something like German expressionism in comic book form. Just pretend you are reading a Batman version of Nosferatu. And speaking of that, Moench and Jones also did a comic where Batman fights Dracula and it is awesome.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Maybe not as long as that but I've always preferred long eared Batman over Capullo's current short ears outside of Zero Year. I wish they'd keep the Zero Year ears.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Whelp I guess I'm done buying comic books. My guy today told me that this was the last time he was going to have a pull box for me because I hadn't signed up for whatever stupid pre-pay bullshit they are doing now. I guess it's fitting since my last collection of comics is almost entirely poo poo I don't really like anymore and one actual book I want to read.

So long comic books. You were an expensive and tedious hobby that I hadn't really enjoyed for years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Whelp I guess I'm done buying comic books. My guy today told me that this was the last time he was going to have a pull box for me because I hadn't signed up for whatever stupid pre-pay bullshit they are doing now. I guess it's fitting since my last collection of comics is almost entirely poo poo I don't really like anymore and one actual book I want to read.

So long comic books. You were an expensive and tedious hobby that I hadn't really enjoyed for years.

Go digital or go bust, man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjffIi2Pl7M&t=138s

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Give up floppies and go Amazon or digital?

You cannot escape comics, you can try but they will never release their grip on you :doom:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Give up floppies and go Amazon or digital?

You cannot escape comics, you can try but they will never release their grip on you :doom:

Just when you think you are out they pull you back in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My comicshop was so eager to keep me as a customer that they started a pull list for me without me even knowing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah man, gently caress bad stores, just find a new one or go digital. It genuinely feels to me like there's more good stuff out there than ever over a variety of genres so giving up now seems a little odd.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. Quitting that store makes plenty of sense. Completely quitting the hobby not so much. But at the same time, taking a break for a bit and coming back with a clean slate might not be the worst idea to get a fresh outlook and find stuff you truly love and enjoy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I dunno if you dislike everything you're buying except for one book then why are you buying those books in the first place?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
I haven't regularly bought floppies (not including weird indie stuff at cons and dollar bins) in years and am still in the game, so...

Edit: Wait, no, I bought Demon Knights hoping it wouldn't get cancelled and welp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Senor Candle posted:

I dunno if you dislike everything you're buying except for one book then why are you buying those books in the first place?

"Maybe this time they've finally gotten better." That or hate-reading, neither of which Mr Wind Up Bird is alone in doing in the hobby. Hell, even on BSS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

"Maybe this time they've finally gotten better." That or hate-reading, neither of which Mr Wind Up Bird is alone in doing in the hobby. Hell, even on BSS.

I constantly have to stop myself from giving bad books another chance, especially because there's always that one fat guy who insists it's gotten way better and I don't know what I'm missing out on. But I just can't be that guy who spends 200 dollars on comics a week and only enjoys 20$ of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. I need to take a look at some of the things I'm buying and pare way back. I think pretty much all the X-Men books are on the chopping block at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress that store in it's stupid face.

I want to start a "help me make my store better" thread but I'm too drat lazy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just to balance things out a little, my comic store is kind of awesome. A childhood friend of Eminem works there, and managed to get two copies of the Eminem Mighty Avengers cover signed. One is staying on the shops wall, and the other is getting raffled off free to a club member.

I'll be posting my disappointment after I get back from the shop later today.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Anyone read the new Silver Surfer yet? I really like him as a character and am a fan of Mike Allred, but I hear nothing but bad things about Dan Slott.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

Anyone read the new Silver Surfer yet? I really like him as a character and am a fan of Mike Allred, but I hear nothing but bad things about Dan Slott.

It's all set up, so not much to go on, but it was beautiful and I didn't cringe at anything.
There a really nice part where Surfer is being toured around this cosmic resort filled with impossible attractions at the top of a double page spread while his future companion is showing tourists around her quiet little fishing village guest house at the bottom. I liked it.
Laura Allred is the star of this comic.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you like Doctor Who?

He only meets the girl on the last page.
I didn't read the point one (or today's infinite comic yet.) Are people just assuming what the comic will be?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 26, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SMP posted:

Do you like Doctor Who?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Die Laughing posted:

Just to balance things out a little, my comic store is kind of awesome. A childhood friend of Eminem works there, and managed to get two copies of the Eminem Mighty Avengers cover signed. One is staying on the shops wall, and the other is getting raffled off free to a club member.

I'll be posting my disappointment after I get back from the shop later today.

I assume by the Eminem relation you're in SE MI, which shop is it? There's a handful of stores I regularly go to lately if I'm around them, and would probably give it a shot on your recommendation.
It's weird, I've only recently got back into buying floppies, something I haven't really done in like, 20 years. And while I'm on the topic of my money, I'll try one last time: Darkhorse's Grindhouse series, yay or nay? It's got some real good looking covers but I'm hesitant to start going after back issues on something again until I know it's good.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I have been in and out of comics for years dude, it's ok to take a break and then check back in. Plus you get the benefit of missing big dumb events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Choco1980 posted:

I assume by the Eminem relation you're in SE MI, which shop is it? There's a handful of stores I regularly go to lately if I'm around them, and would probably give it a shot on your recommendation.
It's weird, I've only recently got back into buying floppies, something I haven't really done in like, 20 years. And while I'm on the topic of my money, I'll try one last time: Darkhorse's Grindhouse series, yay or nay? It's got some real good looking covers but I'm hesitant to start going after back issues on something again until I know it's good.

Liberty Comics (formerly Bob's Comics) in Roseville. They'll be celebrating their 5th anniversary on Saturday. Also, club Luna in Royal Oak is having a super hero night that night as well.

• Locked thread