Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Omnikin posted:

!!!

What a great ending to an already great basho!

I don't know that I buy into Kakuryu's promotion just yet though... two tournaments at 14-1 is amazing sure enough, but prior to that he only cracked ten wins twice in seven tries. I'd argue that he needs to have another performance like his last two in May for a promotion

i agree. i really think they should hold tighter to the consecutive yusho standard. it's going to be annoying having to hear the months/years of people complaining after this that maybe kakuryuu isn't yokozuna material after all - i'd love to be proven wrong about that but i feel like he'll probably settle in around the 10 wins mark. if he'd actually won 2 yusho it'd be a different story

that being said, fantastic basho. and what a tachiai from harumafuji in that last match, god drat. strongest i've ever seen from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Omnikin posted:

Sure, but does it make sense? His records indicate a lot of inconsistency including barely making kachikoshi the two bashos before his recent stellar performances. I don't know why they're rushing him to a likely promotion

Considering how they were so eager to push Kisenosato previously, this is actually rather consistent behavior for them. Personally, I'd wonder if they didn't promote Kakuryu after promising Kisenosato would be promoted if he had performed similarly.

E: That being said, I personally think they should stick to the two yusho standard.

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 23, 2014

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
All I know for sure is this is one of the best basho I've seen in some time. There were quality matches every day and not just at the top, either. The story lines being played out were very compelling and dramatic.

As for the other thing, I'm also down for the two yusho standard. I like consistency and that's been their threshold and they should stick to it. That being said, I do wonder if the SA has just decided that they are temporarily going to set that standard aside to account for Hakuho being around right now. He's clearly an all-time great (possibly greatest) and they may be thinking that in order to keep the hopes of the lower ranks alive we'll show that promotion is still possible under the reign of Hakuho instead of stick to the old ways and potentially let a lot of elite wrestlers potentially get left at Ozeki simply because Hakuho is just that drat good. This also prevents wrestlers from becoming complacent which leads to bad sumo.

However, I think that the 2 yusho standard should still apply because in my eyes you can only ever really be judged by the competition you have to face in your own era in terms of being deserving of title and rank. If you can't yusho twice against a field including Hakuho, then you aren't a loving yokozuna in my mind and that's that. Bad luck to you that you happened to compete in the same time as he. If you just happen to keep competing longer than he does and then you gain promotion, then I think you would be fairly judged as someone that benefited from his retirement. I don't know of any time in the past where this same thing has occurred, but I don't pretend to be a sumo history expert.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
For promoting out of lower divisions and even in makuuchi for some things a playoff loss is considered a yusho equivalent by the NSK, so even if you guys want to stick to that metric he has satisfied it anyway.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I blame Kisenosato

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Nice to see Osunaarashi hit KK

Isn't Kakuryu Mongolian as well? It makes it seem less they're doing it just to get a Japanese yokozuna and more because of the whole Hakuho is too drat good thing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Awesome basho!

I'm particularly glad Osunaarashi scraped kk after his injury spell and Goeido - who's becoming a personal favourite of mine - had a great run, and is well set-up for an Ozeki push in May. Kakuryu knocking on the Yokozuna door and an excellent couple of inter-Yokozuna bouts going Harumafuji's way is the icing on the cake.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Goeido's a straight choker, but with the Ozekis thinning out the way they have I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming Ozeki in July. The only thing I really like about him is how often he'll start staredowns with just about anyone and get wrecked right after. Big examples are against Hakuho and Shohzan. It's still fun though because the crowd always gets way into it

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kikkoman posted:

Goeido's a straight choker, but with the Ozekis thinning out the way they have I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming Ozeki in July. The only thing I really like about him is how often he'll start staredowns with just about anyone and get wrecked right after. Big examples are against Hakuho and Shohzan. It's still fun though because the crowd always gets way into it

I've got a soft spot for chokers, to be fair. Kisenosato can get hosed, though

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I'm fine with Kakuryu's promotion. As far as Im concerned, 14-1 with a playoff loss to Hakuho is as good as a Yusho. And he did beat Hakuho last tournament, he just couldn't do it twice in a row.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

All right guys, I think we can stop with the spoiler tags on everything re: day 15 - I'm pretty sure nothing is getting spoiled at this point.

I can't say any thing that hasn't already been said. What a basho. Lots of guns blazing early on and lots of breath-holding down the stretch, and some great stories.

Especially for those of you in Japan, please keep us posted with stories or videos of the aftermath. I'm curious if Kakuryu ever showed any emotion, because he's a friggin robot afaik.

And, please don't forget to donate to Kintamayama if you watched his videos and feel appreciative of his efforts.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I also don't think Kakuryu should be promoted. If he had a string of yokozuna level preformances then sure, but before the last 2 bashos he's consistently been in the 9-10 win range. That's fine for an ozeki, but if he goes back to that form as a yokozuna then he'll be forced to retire very quickly. I say wait until May, if he puts in a solid 12 win performance or better then promote him, but there's no reason to break the 2 yusho rule right away.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Konstantin posted:

there's no reason to break the 2 yusho rule right away.

Only if he was Japanese, then NSK would be all over a yokozuna promotion. I really don't think he should be promoted, especially since having three Mongolians representing the highest rank will only force NSK to hype their hopefuls even more (Endo, Goeido, Kisen).

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

All right guys, I think we can stop with the spoiler tags on everything re: day 15 - I'm pretty sure nothing is getting spoiled at this point.

I can't say any thing that hasn't already been said. What a basho. Lots of guns blazing early on and lots of breath-holding down the stretch, and some great stories.

Especially for those of you in Japan, please keep us posted with stories or videos of the aftermath. I'm curious if Kakuryu ever showed any emotion, because he's a friggin robot afaik.

And, please don't forget to donate to Kintamayama if you watched his videos and feel appreciative of his efforts.

I watched a long-form interview with him on NHK, and he was still a super robot. During the parade though he looked pretty happy.

Konstantin posted:

I also don't think Kakuryu should be promoted. If he had a string of yokozuna level preformances then sure, but before the last 2 bashos he's consistently been in the 9-10 win range. That's fine for an ozeki, but if he goes back to that form as a yokozuna then he'll be forced to retire very quickly. I say wait until May, if he puts in a solid 12 win performance or better then promote him, but there's no reason to break the 2 yusho rule right away.

:siren: A playoff loss is a de facto yusho for considering promotion :siren:

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I think another performance like this and Kakuryu would be ok, but I really think the two yusho rule is best. So many great matches this month. I am glad Osunaarashi managed kk. Holy hell that last tachiai from Harumafuji was ruthless, he really went for it and it paid off. I hope he keeps up this level of tenacity next basho.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Last 10 Bashos
135-15 Hakuho
120-30 Harumafuji
104-46 Kisenosato
102-48 Kakuryu

Also, shamelessly reading from Wiki

quote:

The de facto standard is to win two consecutive championships as ōzeki or an equivalent performance. In the case where the "equivalent performance" criterion is used the wrestler's record over the previous three tournaments is taken into account with an expectation of at least one tournament victory and two runner-up performances, with none of the three records falling below twelve wins.

So I guess if they really consider the playoff a Yusho, that's that. I just hope that his performance picks up

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Omnikin posted:

I just hope that his performance picks up

That's really my main concern as well. If he's just on a short burst of good form and soon returns to his old ways of 9 or 10 wins, that's not going to fly as a yokozuna and he'll be forced into retirement. I'd rather he not get promoted and then get another yusho or 13-win performance to show that it isn't a flash in the pan.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Today the sumo association council recommended kakuryu for promotion. The requirement is 2/3rd yes votes and the decision was unanimous.

Pvt. Public posted:

That's really my main concern as well. If he's just on a short burst of good form and soon returns to his old ways of 9 or 10 wins, that's not going to fly as a yokozuna and he'll be forced into retirement. I'd rather he not get promoted and then get another yusho or 13-win performance to show that it isn't a flash in the pan.

There was one guy who was promoted on his 5th yusho and ended up doing nothing and retiring after like a year and a half. So who knows! 3 yokozuna is kind of unserviceable anyway unless they beat everyone below them all the time.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

That's not Homasho on the left of this photo, is it?

Wonder why it wasn't one of the other Mongols. I mean, Hakuho himself rode with Kyokutenho. Somehow I've always gotten the impression that Hakuho and Harumafuji weren't too fond of Kakuryu, and the fact they've been nowhere to be found in the aftermath doesn't help dispel that notion any more.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 24, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

That's not Homasho on the left of this photo, is it?

Wonder why it wasn't one of the other Mongols. I mean, Hakuho himself rode with Kyokutenho. Somehow I've always gotten the impression that Hakuho and Harumafuji weren't too fond of Kakuryu, and the fact they've been nowhere to be found in the aftermath doesn't help dispel that notion any more.

yeah that's pretty weird. not from the same stable even.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Homasho just won the Juryo championship, so I'm gonna assume that's why he gets to ride along.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

yeah that's pretty weird. not from the same stable even.

Yeah, that was my first reaction - I figured they'd be the same stable. Nope.

Homasho is one weird looking dude when he smiles. Still my boy, though. Can't wait to see him back in makuuchi in May! Hopefully goony goon Tochinoshin is back in Juryo, too. He was pretty low in Makushita, but they tend to give established rikishi the express train when recovering from injuries.

Edit: Good point about him winning Juryo, in any case. Still, I thought they get to pick who goes along with them. Maybe Kakuryu really DOES have no friends. :glomp:

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 25, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Tochinoshin looks like he won't get promoted, I was told by people more knowledgeable than me. I was hoping for promotion too because I was watching his bouts and he almost killed a mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21mXMQIY0NA

Actually looking at the records he handed 3 guys their only losses, he was paired up with good dudes for the division.

On the bright side goon favorite Takonoyama should be back in Juryo next time.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Uncle Jam posted:

Tochinoshin looks like he won't get promoted, I was told by people more knowledgeable than me. I was hoping for promotion too because I was watching his bouts and he almost killed a mans.

Actually looking at the records he handed 3 guys their only losses, he was paired up with good dudes for the division.

Tochinoshin was placed at Ms55, I guess that's too many places to jump in one go, even with a 7-0. He was demoted that far for being out injured for 3.5 basho so I guess expecting him to get back to Makuuchi in fewer than 3 tournaments is optimistic. He'll be top-end Makushita next time, which should still be a cakewalk - with another 7-0 he could reasonably expect a high entry into Juryo and only spend one basho there before getting back where he belongs (assuming he can stay fit this time)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Jesus, talk about overmatched. David vs Goliath: The More-Likely Story.

With the lower body that Tochinoshin has, it's a shame he wasn't ever able to survive the komusubi meat grinder. He is built to put Kisenosato to shame when it comes to balance.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
When you have a new yokozuna you gotta make a new rope

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kakuryu's promotion is front page news on wikipedia :toot:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
oh and i didn't see anyone mention it before but the special prizes for this basho were:

Fighting Spirit - Yoshikaze
Outstanding Performance - Goeido
Technique - None

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

a false posted:

kakuryu's promotion is front page news on wikipedia :toot:

Came to post this.

I honestly don't see him hanging around much longer.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

Came to post this.

I honestly don't see him hanging around much longer.

yeah, i have my doubts about how he'll do as yokozuna but i hope i'm proven wrong.

gonna be a lot of kinboshi opportunities

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

gonna be a lot of kinboshi opportunities

Remember that only maegashira can get a kinboshi. So, M1 and below would have to defeat him to earn one, which I don't see happening more than once during a typical basho. I think it's more the sanyaku who could potentially start thrashing him again if this is just a lucky streak.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think there will be an increase in kinboshi, Kak is miles ahead of every other rikishi save Hakuho and Harumafuji.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Also it seems like the maegashira have been really weak lately, generally m1 to m5 get makekochi and get replace by a new batch that does the same thing...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kakuryu's first yokozuna dohyo-iri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=havyMl3HsF4

Looks like he went Unryu.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Who is the rikishi to the right of Kakuryu during his performance? Ikioi is the one of the left I believe.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Diplomat posted:

Who is the rikishi to the right of Kakuryu during his performance? Ikioi is the one of the left I believe.

Kagamio and Ikioi accompanied him, I believe.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Saw this on Asashoryu's Facebook... pretty awesome.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what on earth is on hakuho's robe i can't figure it out

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

what on earth is on hakuho's robe i can't figure it out

Looks like a bear's head to me. And a lot of glare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Forgive my ignorance - who's the guy in the middle?