Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
God Hand isn't even hard if you play on Easy. Which I did.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Toady posted:

Based on his wording, it sounds like he was making games for the social market, not Castlevania games.

What if he was making a social Castlevania game where you pick your Castlevania protagonist and instead of farming plants or whatever you farm Giant Skeletons? :v:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Medusa Head clicker.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'd totally be down for a Dungeon Keeper-type game where you're Dracula designing a modular Castlevania and strategically placing the classic bestiary to keep out invading Belmonts.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Silhouette posted:

Uhh, Curse of Darkness is legit one of the best Castlevania games. What the hell Iga :(

I think that LoI and CoD must be the most controversial games of all time in terms of how the fanbase view them. Everyone loves SOTN and OoE, LoS tends to be viewed as mediocre but not terrible, everyone except for a few weirdos thinks the N64 games were poo poo, but opinions on LoI and CoD (especially how they compare to one another) are completely all over the place.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't think I've heard anyone say LoI was better or preferable than Curse of Darkness. Then again, most of the opinions I've heard on Lament is that it's perfectly mediocre at best.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blackguy32 posted:

LoS I felt was the most enjoyable 3d Castlevania, but I put LoI behind CV64 and LoD

How does it feel to be this broken? The only good thing about Castlevania 64 was the music. Goddamn that was a janky rear end game.

Still praying for platinum games to make the next Castlevania starring Gabriel in modern times. Or maybe in the future. Tie it into Vanquish somehow.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'd totally be down for a Dungeon Keeper-type game where you're Dracula designing a modular Castlevania and strategically placing the classic bestiary to keep out invading Belmonts.

There was a somewhat neat Warcraft 3 map that had you playing as Dracula,the Belmonts or Alucard and duking it out in the Castle kinda like that.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How does it feel to be this broken? The only good thing about Castlevania 64 was the music. Goddamn that was a janky rear end game.

Still praying for platinum games to make the next Castlevania starring Gabriel in modern times. Or maybe in the future. Tie it into Vanquish somehow.

It feels normal? Sorry that I don't think exactly like you.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think I've heard anyone say LoI was better or preferable than Curse of Darkness. Then again, most of the opinions I've heard on Lament is that it's perfectly mediocre at best.

I think probably the most common opinion is that both of the games are mediocre, but I've seen plenty of people say that each one is an under appreciated masterpiece while the other is garbage.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's an old interview with the director of Rondo of Blood (and a bunch more CV games besides, but he's just talking Rondo here):

http://gosokkyu.com/post/79456686343/akumajou-dracula-x-chi-no-rondo-interview-lead

It's neat to think that Rondo, Bloodlines and the X68000 game were all developed simultaneously by different teams and they all managed to do a good job.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I bought and played through both LoI and CoD, as well as CV64, at launch, and I barely remember anything about them. It was as if as soon as I beat them I put down the controller, said welp, there went fifty bucks, and never played them again. Completely unremarkable games.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
edit: wrong thread

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 24, 2014

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I finished CoD in Crazy mode. Never again. Everything is cranked up to such ridiculous levels that the mode really merits its name. You don't even get a reward at the end, just a fancy "CONGRATULATIONS FOR BEATING CRAZY MODE" screen. Half of the playthrough was spent spamming the Battle type devil's Bone Storm move while running for dear life. Even had to cheese one of the bosses by specifically making a devil that would self-destruct to take it out his otherwise invincible minion.

Normal was actually fun though. While the platforming was gimped compared to LoI, I honestly feel all the weapons (except Special and maybe knuckles) had their advantages at different times (of course some are just straight upgrades). It's not like the 2D Castlevanias didn't have their fare share of lackluster weapons either.
The enemy variety was pretty great too. Can't complain about the music either.

I got kinda screwed over by LoI though. 10 year old me couldn't exactly tell what he was buying and I got some awful pirated version with 0 music or cutscenes. Couldn't even finish the drat thing because one of the rooms of the Ghostly Theater was bugged and kept sending me completely elsewhere instead of taking me up the stairs so I could never finish it. What little I could play was fun though.

I think both games could have really benefited from more mobility options though, especially LoI. The areas are all pretty huge and when all you have is some teleporters every now and then, it's not enough, at least not compared to 2D games with all the flying and dashing and jumping upgrades.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't think I've heard anyone say LoI was better or preferable than Curse of Darkness.

I'll be that weirdo.

I liked the fact that you could start in whatever wing you wanted, even if it was dumb to go to some areas first.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
LoI has problems, but I find it charming. It's definitely flawed, but it feels like it was made by people who loved the game and Castlevania in general. They were just...bad at making 3D games. Compare LoS, which is very polished, looks pretty, and feels a bit soulless. (I get this feeling from a lot of AAA games, which is why I mostly play handheld and indie games now)

I don't really remember much about CoD. I think I liked it okay? I just played LoI a few months ago, so it's fresher in my memory.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

It also called out how janky it was graphically, which was true. But not 3/10 true.

It seems like a weird complaint, since I think God Hand looks pretty good. All the enemies you fight are really detailed and expressive, and well animated. The same goes for all the characters in the cutscenes. I guess the problem was the environments were pretty sparse, and it came out so late in the PS2's life.

Anyway, I hope IGA can find success in a new company like the people at Clover did. Metroidvanias are well suited for downloadable games, such as Guacamelee and Strider.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Started playing Curse of Darkness again for the first time since came out and the first thing that strikes me is how slowly Hector runs. :v: Also how easy it is, but that could just be because I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls 2 lately.

It also has a bunch of weird stuff that a lot people would miss, like jumping on the Wyvern bosses back and letting it take you for a ride, just so you can steal a Shortcake from it.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

HGH posted:

I finished CoD in Crazy mode. Never again. Everything is cranked up to such ridiculous levels that the mode really merits its name.

Yeah, I gave that a try just to get the stupid accessory that gives your IDs infinite hearts and gave up somewhere around the first dungeon when I was constantly 2 hits away from death and was barely doing any damage to the enemies. After I found out that even if I did bother to struggle my way through it, I still wouldn't be able to use the drat thing in Normal.

Kind of a shame, since LoI's Crazy mode was much better balanced, probably because they had to compensate for the fact that the universal solution to ridiculously overpowered enemies wasn't "grind 5 hours on whatever enemy takes the least amount of time to kill whenever you get stuck" and they actually introduced new gameplay elements such as changing one of the platforming puzzles so that they extend and retract in sequence instead of making you reach the top before they all retract and giving some of the bosses new attacks. Plus I could actually use the drat accessory I'd get out of it on Normal.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I liked both Innocence and Curse, they're both solid games. Though I agree that the areas needed to be smaller, that was Curse's major flaw.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

LoI has problems, but I find it charming. It's definitely flawed, but it feels like it was made by people who loved the game and Castlevania in general. They were just...bad at making 3D games. Compare LoS, which is very polished, looks pretty, and feels a bit soulless. (I get this feeling from a lot of AAA games, which is why I mostly play handheld and indie games now)

Honestly, LoS is not very polished. That's one of the reasons I like it. It's kind of a B game aspiring to be a AAA game, and it's throwing so many different concepts and ideas onto the wall in order to get there, and drat it it nearly does, but not quite, yet it also keeps its soul intact in the process. The second one not so much, but I'll defend LoS as the best 3D Castlevania game any day of the week.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Sakurazuka posted:

Started playing Curse of Darkness again for the first time since came out and the first thing that strikes me is how slowly Hector runs. :v: Also how easy it is, but that could just be because I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls 2 lately.

You can move a little faster down straightaways after you get Double Step. Space out the button presses enough so you only do the first flip and you can cartwheel along at a decent rate.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

It seems like a weird complaint, since I think God Hand looks pretty good. All the enemies you fight are really detailed and expressive, and well animated. The same goes for all the characters in the cutscenes. I guess the problem was the environments were pretty sparse, and it came out so late in the PS2's life.

Anyway, I hope IGA can find success in a new company like the people at Clover did. Metroidvanias are well suited for downloadable games, such as Guacamelee and Strider.

The idea of not having anymore Belmont starred games makes me sad though. I mean it's not like it'd change much but Simon, Trevor, Alucard, Shanoa, etc are all characters from games I have really fond memories of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, that ship has sailed no matter what unless they do another reboot. Considering they killed the very last Belmont off in LoS2.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, that ship has sailed no matter what unless they do another reboot. Considering they killed the very last Belmont off in LoS2.

Isn't LoS a different continuity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't LoS a different continuity?

It's a reboot. I mean, yeah, it's a different continuity but it has Dracula, Simon, Trevor, Alucard, ect. They weren't going back to the Iga-stuff even if he stuck around.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Come to think of it, they never really explained what happened to Simon in LOS2, do they? It's pretty much just "he lived and his descendants continued to fight for the Brotherhood" or whatever, right? I didn't miss something obvious?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Come to think of it, they never really explained what happened to Simon in LOS2, do they? It's pretty much just "he lived and his descendants continued to fight for the Brotherhood" or whatever, right? I didn't miss something obvious?

That's it. He lived and had kids. He's pretty dead but it's been hundreds of years so that is to be expected.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I actually like Castlevania 64 a lot, it's got cool atmosphere, decent voice acting for its time (and a lot of voice in general for an N64 game) and it has the right everything but the kitchen sink mix of creatures. The camera is a bit challenging today but they did good with the auto lock-on instead of using a trigger like Zelda because there's typically more stuff going on at once to deal with but the enemies have lower stamina. Legacy of Darkness was cool for having more characters but they had to pull a lot of the voice acting and it has the same issue as Fatal Frame 3 where you switch characters/locations a BIT too often for the atmosphere to set in.

LoI is weird because it has such a lavish soundtrack and locations, but then has a massive amount of filler hallways in between like that stained glass loading corridor you see a thousand times which hurts what would otherwise be a great atmosphere. There's so much empty space, I feel like it was a 2D game when they started and then at the last second they made every room real wide and called it a day.

Curse of Darkness has a similar issue. I'm glad someone else has complained about Hector's slow movement speed. Again great soundtrack and environments for a not high budget PS2 game but it's soooo sloooooow. Think of how awesome the game would be if everything was the same but all of Hector's movement was twice as fast. Also the game is worth beating because you can then play as Trevor Belmont and he's superior in every way, has all the classic weapons, it's rad as hell.

I freaking love Lords of Shadow 1. I can see the ways in which is sucks at points but it looks like they had a blast making it and threw in everything they thought was awesome. The only real problem with it to me is the frame rate. I love the pacing of it. The enemy variety is lame but they do a good job of having it get more and more intense as it goes on. I liked how the obligatory "vehicle" and "sewer" levels happen at the beginning of the game and then it keeps getting better. Then you get up to the part where you're actually going through the town and making your way to a vampire's castle and cooping with Patrick Stewart staking vampires together. That completely owned.

Mirror of Fate... :laffo:

I still have to try Lords of Shadow 2 though.

I do feel like throughout history 3D Castlevania entries were unfairly maligned for not starring Alucard or being 2D.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love the art style on 64 but the gameplay is not so great. 3D platforming is generally not a great idea, and the characters feel too loosey-goosey to be making the precision jumps that are often demanded. It's way too easy to accidentally stumble off a cliff.

Also, yeah, that game needed way more enemies.

The whole 3D castle thing is awesome, though, and I love the weird anachronistic technology in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I still have to try Lords of Shadow 2 though.

Wait until it is like $10. That won't take long.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Wait until it is like $10. That won't take long.

Lord of Shadows is a mixed bag.

MoF and 2 are an affront to the series of Castlevania. I'd rather playing HoD or Adventures or the Tiger Electronics game.

ImpAtom posted:

It's a reboot. I mean, yeah, it's a different continuity but it has Dracula, Simon, Trevor, Alucard, ect. They weren't going back to the Iga-stuff even if he stuck around.

Maybe they'll sell the rights considering how LoS 2 did.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy poo poo I would love it so hard if they sold the rights to whatever company IGA makes (albeit he's only been the Producer for pretty much all the Castlevania games since SotN), so he can keep (producing) Castlevania games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Castlevania 64 is like all the other 3D Castlevania games in that for everything it gets right it gets something else horribly wrong, the only difference is that due to it being more classic CV style it gets a whole bunch of different things wrong.

In other news, apparently ACB have just rated Aria of Sorrow, so it looks like we're getting it on WiiU VC, for all ten people who have one. I'm hoping we get Harmony of Dissonance soon, since due to unfortunate purchasing decisions I only ever had an eBay knock-off version in which the battery back-up died after 6 months.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
One thing C64 has going for it is that I remember a skeleton on a motorcycle attacking you at one point or another.

Preeety rad.

But yeah the game is kinda mediocre and has aged terribly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There are multiple skelecycles and they lag the game to hell. A whole lot of things lagged that game too much, actually.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Since the sun always rises at 6 and sets at 6 in Castlevania 2, I figured you could figure out what day of the year the game takes place on. Apparently, sunrise and sunset at those exact times don't quite happen on any day in Romania (I used Bucharest specifically), but it looks like there's a twelve-hour day around March 15-17th and around September 25th or 26th. Sooooo... that's all, really.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Got a kind of weird request, but i've been listening to some Depeche Mode laterly and whenever Little Soul comes up, i get some mad Castlevania vibes. Probably SotN? Especially the parts like at ~0:42. It's something about the springy sounds and the waahwaah, i guess.

If someone knows what track this reminds me of, could i get a name or a link? I get a feeling it was used for some grotto-like area. Posibly with interspersed sounds of something like an old door creaking, though my memory might play tricks on me and that was an entirely different one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You're definitely thinking of SOTN, this track in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhIf_zV6yK0

Maybe some of this in there as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctfjrUBjTo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
One time I saw a porno that had a remix of the SOTN library theme for the music.