Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Not the first time they've changed a card from one to the other! I just assume it'd be rare in any set going forward because of how good people feel scry is. You really think they'd reprint that at common again?

I don't even remember it being played except maybe in janky brew decks when it was in standard. I guess it didn't fit in Caw-Blade so that was that. Preordain pretty much completely overshadowed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Repentant Blacksmith :cry:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Korak posted:

Not the first time they've changed a card from one to the other! I just assume it'd be rare in any set going forward because of how good people feel scry is. You really think they'd reprint that at common again?

It's no preordain.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Charbelcher vs Food Chain. U/R Delver vs Sneak n Show.

Mono Green Post vs Manaless Dredge. Bug Control vs UWR Delver.

LA best Legacy meta.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus christ top 8 first match Belcher vs Food Chain :psyduck:

edit: and loving Post vs Dredge?!? :psyboom:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
MAINDECK Bojuka Bog against Manaless Dredge, holy poo poo.

:lol: Patrick "Dredge has decided to play around Emrakul by having no permanents in play."

Korak fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 24, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Korak posted:

MAINDECK Bojuka Bog against Manaless Dredge, holy poo poo.

4 Vesuvas to copy it in play as well. This is wonderful

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I was reading on Source about a manaless dredge decklist that runs some blue disruption like forces, misdirection, and handful of other cards that can stop RiP. Seemed like a good route to go.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Korak posted:

I was reading on Source about a manaless dredge decklist that runs some blue disruption like forces, misdirection, and handful of other cards that can stop RiP. Seemed like a good route to go.

Yeah, but it doesn't help against Bojuka Bog into Vesuva which is what got him blown the gently caress out. Would've helped in game 2 since it was Crop Rotation into Bojuka after pitching his entire hand into Phantasmagorian.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

netcat posted:

Commander is fun, sometimes

What program is this?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Magic The Gathering Online. Also called Mit-Go by cool people.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Its one of those nights I'd rather see the Food Chain vs Charbelcher match up but instead we get SnS vs Delver.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Delver takes a game loss... For mixing cards from a ponder into his hand? I missed it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ponders are srs bidness. Game loss for Delver player when he's extremely far ahead because he may have accidentally combined cards / had them touching while checking out what he wanted to do. Both players have been jovial about the whole match so one of those brain slips when you've been playing magic all weekend.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Korak posted:

Mono Green Post

*is intrigued*
*heads to Google*
*sees Candelabra and Tabernacle*
*closes the window*

It's like a successful version of my modern deck except a single land costs almost as much as my entire deck. :cry:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just got back from a GPT Phoenix and I got 3rd, which netted me 30 packs. Not bad considering I was playing a R/W burn deck I had literally built 2 days ago and had only gotten 1 FNM's worth of practice out of. I super lucked out, as I got into the 8th slot in Top 8 solely on tie-breakers, with like 10 other guys at the same record as me.

I don't know how popular Mono-U still is, but I didn't play against any all day, and then suddenly the Top 8 was flooded with them. I beat the 1st seeded guy who was playing it, then lost in the semis to ANOTHER mono-U deck. The finals ended up being a mono-U mirror. :psyduck:

I felt bad for my buddy, who also made the semis with me (we didn't play each other) but got a DQ because he kept a sideboard card in Game 1. Freaking Dark Betrayal against mono-U. I'm gonna give him poo poo about that forever.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

*is intrigued*
*heads to Google*
*sees Candelabra and Tabernacle*
*closes the window*

It's like a successful version of my modern deck except a single land costs almost as much as my entire deck. :cry:

That's the U/G version that Rock Lee plays. There's a list for the Mono G one on the SCG coverage page that does not have Candelabras, FoWs, or Show and Tells (but does have a singleton Tabernacle)

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

qbert posted:

Just got back from a GPT Phoenix and I got 3rd, which netted me 30 packs. Not bad considering I was playing a R/W burn deck I had literally built 2 days ago and had only gotten 1 FNM's worth of practice out of. I super lucked out, as I got into the 8th slot in Top 8 solely on tie-breakers, with like 10 other guys at the same record as me.

I don't know how popular Mono-U still is, but I didn't play against any all day, and then suddenly the Top 8 was flooded with them. I beat the 1st seeded guy who was playing it, then lost in the semis to ANOTHER mono-U deck. The finals ended up being a mono-U mirror. :psyduck:

I felt bad for my buddy, who also made the semis with me (we didn't play each other) but got a DQ because he kept a sideboard card in Game 1. Freaking Dark Betrayal against mono-U. I'm gonna give him poo poo about that forever.
Dark Betrayal too good against Nightveil. Hmm that's a DQ instead of just being a game loss? Swear I saw a pro player call a judge on himself a while back because he had a sideboarded card in his mainboard and he just received a game loss. Goon Judges come to our rescue.

Grats!

edit: Quick googling says its just a game loss but can be upgraded to DQ if he realized it and didn't call a Judge?

edit2: Yeah LSV did so a while back, just a game loss.

Korak fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 24, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

gotta de-side man. I pretty much checked my sideboard twice before each match since I'm hella paranoid about that (especially since half my board is removal spells interchangable with my main)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Belcher is a tier 1 deck because you can take it to a tournament with a comedy sideboard and never have to worry about this. Some options:

-All 15 kinds of 'togs
-15 Islands
-something involving 4 Storm Crows and 4 Force of Will
-15 Relentless Rats
-Some number of Uktabi Orangutans

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Korak posted:

Dark Betrayal too good against Nightveil. Hmm that's a DQ instead of just being a game loss? Swear I saw a pro player call a judge on himself a while back because he had a sideboarded card in his mainboard and he just received a game loss. Goon Judges come to our rescue.

Grats!

edit: Quick googling says its just a game loss but can be upgraded to DQ if he realized it and didn't call a Judge?

That's exactly what happened. I was sitting at Table 1 and he was at Table 3 and the judge was sitting between us. I didn't see what went down, but it sounded like my buddy was looking through his maindeck between games, the judge was watching him do it, he saw Dark Betrayal, took it out, but didn't say anything immediately. Judge goes, "Was that Dark Betrayal in your maindeck game 1?" Buddy explains what happened, but since he didn't tell the judge immediately he got the DQ.

It's my friend's fault. I didn't ask him if he intentionally tried to cover it up, but he probably did. He had just won Game 1 and probably didn't want the potential loss. Even his opponent felt bad for him.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

qbert posted:

That's exactly what happened. I was sitting at Table 1 and he was at Table 3 and the judge was sitting between us. I didn't see what went down, but it sounded like my buddy was looking through his maindeck between games, the judge was watching him do it, he saw Dark Betrayal, took it out, but didn't say anything immediately. Judge goes, "Was that Dark Betrayal in your maindeck game 1?" Buddy explains what happened, but since he didn't tell the judge immediately he got the DQ.

It's my friend's fault. I didn't ask him if he intentionally tried to cover it up, but he probably did. He had just won Game 1 and probably didn't want the potential loss. Even his opponent felt bad for him.
Ouch. Hope your buddy learned a positive lesson in all of it instead of getting bitter about it.

Mono Green 12 Post vs BUG Control for the finals of SCG LA. Two delicious brews for this early Monday morning.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Is it me or is legacy not nearly as susceptible to the whole"OMG THIS DECK WON SOMETHING BUY 100 OF EVERY CARD IN IT!" thing that happens in Modern and to a lesser extent Standard? Like, I feel safe going to sleep and ordering some Posts tomorrow and not having them triple in price while I'm asleep. I guess it makes sense; Legacy is more of an investment, and most people don't already have the necessary land base like they do for modern, but I'm always surprised when a deck wins something and every card in it doesn't triple in price in 2 days.

I didn't find any mono-G Post decks without Candelabra, not that I spent much time looking.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
:siren: Dark Depths Thespian Stage alert on camera! :siren:

e: and prime time gains him 10 life for the victory.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 24, 2014

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AgentSythe posted:

Belcher is a tier 1 deck because you can take it to a tournament with a comedy sideboard and never have to worry about this. Some options:

-All 15 kinds of 'togs
-15 Islands
-something involving 4 Storm Crows and 4 Force of Will
-15 Relentless Rats
-Some number of Uktabi Orangutans

There's also the Legacy Weapon SB, with Legacy Weapon itself, and all of the parts of it (which conveniently all got cards) Like Karn, Silver Golem, Juju Bubble, etc.

E: which also includes some other chaff cards if you want a full 15

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Is it me or is legacy not nearly as susceptible to the whole"OMG THIS DECK WON SOMETHING BUY 100 OF EVERY CARD IN IT!" thing that happens in Modern and to a lesser extent Standard? Like, I feel safe going to sleep and ordering some Posts tomorrow and not having them triple in price while I'm asleep. I guess it makes sense; Legacy is more of an investment, and most people don't already have the necessary land base like they do for modern, but I'm always surprised when a deck wins something and every card in it doesn't triple in price in 2 days.

I didn't find any mono-G Post decks without Candelabra, not that I spent much time looking.

I'd say it has to do with Legacy being a much more mature format. Modern is young as hell, and standard is standard, so both formats can have a "new hotness" effect with a breakout deck. Even great decks in Legacy never really dominate unconditionally, it depends on the meta.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: Forgetting to sideboard; is it legal to, say, mark the front of a card with a sharpie in some design so you recognize it as a sideboard card?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

bhsman posted:

Re: Forgetting to sideboard; is it legal to, say, mark the front of a card with a sharpie in some design so you recognize it as a sideboard card?
New sideboarding strategy is to get only your sideboard cards signed by the artist.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

suicidesteve posted:

Its because everything in legacy is already expensive. :v:

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*
I'm going to bet that this is a reach, but how willing are you guys in loaning out cards on MODO? I'm just looking to smash with one standard deck, but I barely own anything since all I did was limited and deal everything back when done.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Is there any native way to screenshot in MODO? I just drafted an insane Cube ramp deck and I want to show it off.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Rogue 7 posted:

Is there any native way to screenshot in MODO? I just drafted an insane Cube ramp deck and I want to show it off.

If you alt+printscreen with MODO brought to front it will only capture the MODO part, not the rest for you desktop.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks.

3-0'd the draft super easily. Lost one game to a Linvala with Sword of War and Peace on it after going Elf into Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Shardless Agent Cascading into Fyndhorn Elves. I got to ultimate Kiora twice.

Rogue 7 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 24, 2014

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I would have been super tempted to play that Show and Tell.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Especially with that ulamog :wtc:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

The reason is because legacy decks usually have "those cards" that cost $500 or so. Like you looked at that deck that had a candelabra and a tabernacle and said nevermind. Thats what everyone does. It isn't like looking at tin fists and going "ok well I've got an emrakul, I just need this $2 card!" and then it jumps to $10 because you and everyone else bought it. There is a much smaller subset of people who own legacy staples vs. people who own modern staples. If legacy players go "thats a fun deck!" and buy up a card equivalent to tin fists or disrupting shoal, it doesn't move the market much because there are way less people buying.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

The reason is because legacy decks usually have "those cards" that cost $500 or so. Like you looked at that deck that had a candelabra and a tabernacle and said nevermind. Thats what everyone does. It isn't like looking at tin fists and going "ok well I've got an emrakul, I just need this $2 card!" and then it jumps to $10 because you and everyone else bought it. There is a much smaller subset of people who own legacy staples vs. people who own modern staples. If legacy players go "thats a fun deck!" and buy up a card equivalent to tin fists or disrupting shoal, it doesn't move the market much because there are way less people buying.

Yeah, that's a much better description than my half-awake sentence from last night.

I might eventually get the Candelabras and Tabernacle, but it'll be a long time. I have everything else of value in that deck, so it'd still be cheaper than finishing Shardless BUG, although I wouldn't get any cards I could use anywhere else.

I never really played any kind or organized Magic until recently. I pretty much started constructed in modern because I had no interest in getting into INN-RTR Standard and Legacy is a turn 1 format where everyone plays 10 Forces maindeck or loses*. So it always surprises me to see a deck do well and not have the cards immediately jump from junk rare to $10 and settle at $6 a few weeks later.

*As it turns out, this is not true. I wish I had known that last year.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Doing another Cube draft with a much worse Naya aggro deck, still managed to 3-0.

Watching my opponent Oust my Bloodbraid Elf with an active Domri Rade in play left me feeling almost bad for him. There is literally no worse use of that card that I can think of.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MrBling posted:

Its because everything in legacy is already expensive. :v:

Of course, Dark Depths shot up a bunch recently (after it won something), and Imperial Recruiter just doubled after Painter placed highly a week or two ago.

Which sucks, because I wanted to build Painter and had delayed buying the cheaper judge foil Recruiters. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Korak posted:

Grats!

Yeah, if he hadn't tried to hide it, he would have only gotten a game loss. Also, if you draw your opening hand, realize you didn't desideboard, and call a judge over before the game begins, the head judge has the option to downgrade it to a warning.

• Locked thread