Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musluk
May 23, 2011

SBJ posted:

Interestingly, a large part of why he won (like all conservative politicians) is due to harping on about the strong economy. But the Lira continues to fall every single time he opens his mouth to deliver yet another tired speech in which he lashes out at shadows.

And then he blames jews/deep state/foreign cultural terrorism/CHP/MHP/weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SBJ posted:

Interestingly, a large part of why he won (like all conservative politicians) is due to harping on about the strong economy. But the Lira continues to fall every single time he opens his mouth to deliver yet another tired speech in which he lashes out at shadows.

There are strong indicators that Turkey is in a bubble right now that began in 2009 and it is one of the most (if not the most) fragile emerging markets in the world. The Central Bank's decision to hike rates past December to combat devaluation of the Lira is seen by some as the beginning of the end, as this boom was brought with super-low interest rates and all-time high consumer spending.

So, here is another answer to the question of why AKP remains popular: There is an illusion of prosperity in Turkey and even I can see it with my eyes: Istanbul I lived in 5 years ago is not same Istanbul I live in today. Everywhere you can see new shopping malls, skyscrapers under construct, apartments that are getting demolished... People have more things; businesses are expanding; banks are doing well. All of this is funded by cheap foreign credit but industry growth is lagging behind, saving rates are at an all-time low and account deficit is soaring. But these are not easy to explain to average AKP voter and opposition does not even try. As an AKP election ad goes, "I look at deeds, not words."

fspades fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 22, 2014

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Paper Mac posted:

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to say that the guy who appoints Ahmet Davutoglu as his foreign minister is "aggressively distancing" Turkey from its Ottoman history.

Interestingly, and/or sadly (for him, at least. gently caress him and his extended family, as far as I am concerned) Davutoglu is a Tartar. Sucks to be him or his extended family, I suppose.

Also, in other news: ISIS has threatened attacking the sole patch of Turkish sovereign territory outside of Turkey, the grave of Suleyman Shah in Syria, if Turkey does not cave in to their demands (continued support, likely). Around 30 troops are stationed there. This comes hot on the heels of a van being stopped by gendarmes in south-east Turkey and engaging in a firefight with them. 3 gendarmes dead, a 4th wounded, the culprits were captured. 2 Kosovars, 1 Albanian, they were apparently coming back from the Syrian front and on their way to Istanbul for a terrorist attack before being stopped by the gendarmerie.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Erdogan is also the last person to try to call attention to Crimea, as he has been aggressively trying to distance Turkey from its Ottoman roots.

Really? Why? First I've heard of that.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

The Brown Menace posted:

Interestingly, and/or sadly (for him, at least. gently caress him and his extended family, as far as I am concerned) Davutoglu is a Tartar. Sucks to be him or his extended family, I suppose.

Didn't know that, interesting. I've read Alternative Paradigms and a few thumbnail sketches of what's in Strategic Depth, but I'm not really that familiar with him as a politician- is there something you dislike about him above and beyond his association with Erdogan?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Brown Menace posted:

Also, in other news: ISIS has threatened attacking the sole patch of Turkish sovereign territory outside of Turkey, the grave of Suleyman Shah in Syria, if Turkey does not cave in to their demands (continued support, likely). Around 30 troops are stationed there. This comes hot on the heels of a van being stopped by gendarmes in south-east Turkey and engaging in a firefight with them. 3 gendarmes dead, a 4th wounded, the culprits were captured. 2 Kosovars, 1 Albanian, they were apparently coming back from the Syrian front and on their way to Istanbul for a terrorist attack before being stopped by the gendarmerie.

Maybe it was here in this thread or something I came across elsewhere, but isn't that the place that the Turks said, in no uncertain terms, "gently caress with this place and we'll bomb the poo poo out of you?"

GG ISIS, turning one of the biggest backers of the insurgency into an enemy of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

suboptimal posted:

Maybe it was here in this thread or something I came across elsewhere, but isn't that the place that the Turks said, in no uncertain terms, "gently caress with this place and we'll bomb the poo poo out of you?"

GG ISIS, turning one of the biggest backers of the insurgency into an enemy of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Suleyman_Shah

quote:

On 5 August 2013 the Syrian civil war had promted Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to publicly state that “The tomb of Suleyman Shah [in Syria] and the land surrounding it is our territory. We cannot ignore any unfavorable act against that monument, as it would be an attack on our territory, as well as an attack on NATO land....Everyone knows his duty, and will continue to do what is necessary”

Yeah, Turkey isn't going to mess around with that.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I don't think he can just put some bricks in Syria under NATO protection by saying "this is so".

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Totally Reasonable posted:

I don't think he can just put some bricks in Syria under NATO protection by saying "this is so".

What? Are you going against Erdogan's word? Off to jail with you. Also you and your entire family have been fired from their jobs for an inexplicable reason.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Totally Reasonable posted:

Based on the Treaty of Ankara in 1921, that grave shrine is officially an enclave Turkish sovereign territory within the borders of Syria which they may guard militarily and raise a Turkish flag over.

There is a question as to whether NATO would go to war to protect it, but it meets all the criteria.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SBJ posted:

To be fair much of his popularity in the 2000s was due a recovery of the Turkish economy. Although it likely was mostly a bubble that since was re-inflated post-2009, Turkey as of yet hasn't had the type of chaos as the late 90s/early 2000s. Ultimately, Ecevit and the DSP deserves a fair amount of blame for what happened during that period including true hyperinflation, and Erdogan wouldn't have been he in the position he is now.

Admittedly a bit part of it was luck of the draw, Erdogan couldn't do that much worse than what was already going on and he did generally stabilized things. There has been quite a bit of development as well, although some of it was been problematic. Many poorer people didn't see their lives improve. That said some of the he has made to the constitution and the military did need to happen as some point.

His first two terms at least had improvements that could be pointed to, however his authoritarian streak has come out and now things are getting real lovely. Don't worry I don't love the guy, there has been a push and pull in Turkish politics for quite a while and Erdogan's time is coming to a close.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 22, 2014

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
I don't really follow Turkish politics, what's the over/under of Erdogan and his party weathering the fallout of this corruption scandal now that he's (apparently) acting like a crazy man, banning twitter, etc?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

illrepute posted:

I don't really follow Turkish politics, what's the over/under of Erdogan and his party weathering the fallout of this corruption scandal now that he's (apparently) acting like a crazy man, banning twitter, etc?

It is tough to say (like a couple other countries at the moment) because it has become a cultural/political tug of war of its own. Erdogan, at least according to the latest polls, still has a lot of support for his base but ultimately there may be limits especially if the lira devalues more than it already has and/or he keeps on being over the top authoritarian.

He needs to go, but it is still too early to say he is finished.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

suboptimal posted:

Haven't there been rumors ISIS was infiltrated by Assad agents who want to troll the insurgency?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

illrepute posted:

Vegas gave the line at 115, I'm not sure how much Erdogan can score so I'd probably take the under.

(You want "odds" there)

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Chokes McGee posted:

Vegas gave the line at 115, I'm not sure how much Erdogan can score so I'd probably take the under.

(You want "odds" there)

So were you just gonna post that, or..?

e: Anyway, for content's sake, I've been reading several interesting articles- many of which have been likewise linked in this thread- discussing what the break between Ad-Dawlah Al Islamiyyah and Jabhat al Nusra means for the evolution of Al-Qaeda as a group and as a symbol, and it's been interesting to consider that in one case (JAN) the organization has seemingly moderated its message for broader appeal while the other (ISIS) is sticking with its principles- and that's the one that got its Al-Qaeda Club Card revoked for alienating the other rebel groups. What does that mean? There's actually a real chance that Al-Qaeda in Syria is making a shift away from its radical roots in order to become a populist, if still fundamentalist, political organization. In a hypothetical future, Post-Assad Syria, it looks like organizations derivative of JAN might be the more moderate voices in politics, somehow? Has anyone else thought about this at length?

illrepute fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 22, 2014

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
So, Google DNS and apparently OpenDNS as well are now blocked in Turkey...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There's always 4.2.2.2

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The news is reporting that an IP-based ban on Twitter has just been placed too. VPN/Tor or go home from now on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you know people in Turkey who need more known-good DNS servers, there's also these: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/a/free-public-dns-servers.htm

Musluk
May 23, 2011

VPN is the only way to reach twitter in Turkey at the moment, yeah. DNS isn't going to cut it.

Edit: Upon reading more, the situation with google DNS and open DNS is solved; but they did get blocked for a while.

Edit 2: Apparently they missed one of the IP blocks, lol.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 23, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The air war between Syria and Turkey is intensifying...

quote:

Turkey's armed forces shot down a Syrian plane on Sunday after it crossed into Turkish air space in a border region where Syrian rebels have been battling President Bashar Assad's forces.

"A Syrian plane violated our airspace," Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan told an election rally of his supporters in northwest Turkey.

"Our F-16s took off and hit this plane. Why? Because if you violate my airspace, our slap after this will be hard,"

The rebels have been fighting for control of the Kasab crossing, the border region, since Friday, when they launched an offensive which Syrian authorities say was backed by Turkey's military.

Syria said Turkish air defenses shot down the jet while it was attacking rebel forces inside Syrian territory, calling the move a "blatant aggression".

State television quoted a military source as saying the pilot managed to eject from the plane. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said initial reports from the area said the plane came down on the Syrian side of the border.

Al Manar, the television station of Assad's Lebanese ally Hezbollah, said two rockets had been fired from Turkish territory at the Syrian jet.

I hope that "my airspace" is a mistranslation...

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
More altercations in Beirut.

BBC posted:

Fresh clashes have erupted in Lebanon's capital Beirut among supporters and opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Lebanese troops were deployed after a number of casualties were reported in a predominantly Sunni Muslim area.

The clashes come after more than a week of factional violence in the northern city of Tripoli that has left 25 dead.

The fighting there is between supporters of Syria's rebels and those backing Mr Assad's Alawite sect.

Mr Assad has been fighting a three-year uprising against his rule. More than 100,000 have been killed since the conflict began.

Sunday's fighting broke out before dawn.

The state-run National News Agency quoted Shaker Birjawi, head of the pro-Assad Arab Movement Party, as saying four of his followers were wounded.

The army deployed troops to the area and the clashes appear to have decreased.

They follow more than a week of violence in Tripoli.

Battles there have raged between members of the predominantly Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Muhsin, which is populated mainly by Alawites, the heterodox sect of President Assad,

The war in Syria has exacerbated tensions between the two districts in the northern port city.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
Turkey Shoots down a Syrian Plane

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/23/us-syria-crisis-airplane-idUSBREA2M09X20140323

edit :Whoops, didnt see the post above. heres the link anyway

Gath fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do we know what the make on the Syrian plane was?

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Mig-23, that I've seen mentioned.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

Do we know what the make on the Syrian plane was?

Article Gath linked says Mig-23, and so do the Turkish sources I've seen. I'm no expert, but a plane falling 1.2km into the syrian soil on the day Erdogan is holding a meeting in Istanbul just too fishy - can a Mig-23 turn back and fly 1.2km into Syria after being shot?

Also, This Turkish source and many others are reporting that voting ballots and multiple 'YES' signs to be used for voting have been stolen, and then found in a poor province of Istanbul.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Musluk posted:

Article Gath linked says Mig-23, and so do the Turkish sources I've seen. I'm no expert, but a plane falling 1.2km into the syrian soil on the day Erdogan is holding a meeting in Istanbul just too fishy - can a Mig-23 turn back and fly 1.2km into Syria after being shot?

Also, This Turkish source and many others are reporting that voting ballots and multiple 'YES' signs to be used for voting have been stolen, and then found in a poor province of Istanbul.

There has been heavy fighting there with air support the past two days and it's literally on the border. Under a mile isn't far for a jet aircraft to travel.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Musluk posted:

Yes if it was going that way when it was hit and was flying high enough not to crash immediately, but it's also possible that it was in Turkish airspace when it was fired at and had returned to Syrian side by the time the missiles caught with it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nenonen posted:

I hope that "my airspace" is a mistranslation...

Why would it be? Erdogan thinks he is the state anyway :v:

Al Jazeera reported it as "my airspace" as well, for what it's worth.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

It's a speech pattern he uses often--"my minister," "my soldiers," "my headscarf-wearing sister," "my money," etc.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I really have no idea about planes after all :v:

Syria reports Erdogan to EU court of human rights due to war crimes, apparently.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
So apparently Hilal al-Assad has been kllled. He was the head honcho of the NDF in Latakia.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Radio Prune posted:

So apparently Hilal al-Assad has been kllled. He was the head honcho of the NDF in Latakia.

Cousin of Assad too, SANA confirmed him death.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Musluk posted:

MiG-23s can do in excess of Mach 2 if they feel like, it's the turning part that the issue. The US managed to lose a 3 star general flying a MiG-23 during the CONSTANT PEG program back in the 80s when he went over 2.5 Mach.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Did an Egyptian judge just sentence 528 MB defendants to death, or is AJE misreporting this?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That is pretty intense pharaoh-level mass executions.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

MothraAttack posted:

Did an Egyptian judge just sentence 528 MB defendants to death, or is AJE misreporting this?

AP is reporting it also. There's no way they will actually do this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MothraAttack posted:

I'm seeing it's 529, so kind of. For the death of one police officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bet its retroactively and they are justifying some massacre.... :smith:

• Locked thread