Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think it was Raven who said ECW would eventually get to a place where Heyman would talk someone into being shot on camera. "Tommy, do it for ECW! It'll only be a glancing blow!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DeathChicken posted:

I think it was Raven who said ECW would eventually get to a place where Heyman would talk someone into being shot on camera. "Tommy, do it for ECW! It'll only be a glancing blow!"

Steve Corino complained about not getting over in ECW using the same verbiage at one point.

Dude was no Lex Luger. Luger could get over in a cemetery.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DeathChicken posted:

In a swerve, New Jack becomes the second gunman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This week's How Did This Get Made? podcast by the way will be Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred. Comes out Wednesday I think.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

greatn posted:

This week's How Did This Get Made? podcast by the way will be Hulk Hogan's No Holds Barred. Comes out Wednesday I think.

We Hate Movies already did it and probably better than HDTGM ever could, but thanks for the heads up. This is probably better for the podcast or the WWE thread though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

A movie wherein a dude shits his pants. We've reached forums singularity, folks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

weekly font posted:

A movie wherein a dude shits his pants. We've reached forums singularity, folks.

dooooookie?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Been wondering where Sting is? Well there's a good chance he shows up tonight on Nitro! The war with the nWo is heating up, Nick Patrick has seemingly broken from them, DDP just beat Macho and Nash is pissed at Hogan. On top of that Luger is your #1 contender, so it's time to tune in!

You'll also see:

Malenko vs Jericho for the US title

Iaukea vs Ultimo for the TV title

Rey vs Regal

Rey vs Juvi

Ice Train vs Benoit

and Nash vs Luger!

7:30 for Cowboy Who? 8 PM for Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Be honest with me, MRT... Sting's dead, isn't he?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Writer Cath posted:

Be honest with me, MRT... Sting's dead, isn't he?

No, Ultimate Warrior is dead. Sting had to go back to his home planet.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

greatn posted:

I had a dream once where Kevin Nash pulled out a derringer and shot Goldberg in the chest while the reef wasn't looking, but Goldberg kicked out and Tony Schiavone lost his loving mind.
Fish crowds are never hot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

No, Ultimate Warrior is dead. Sting had to go back to his home planet.

It's true, Meltzer reported it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oFVPoCeaJo

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Animal-Mother posted:

Phish crowds are never hot.

I dunno man, they were pretty toasty for a whole weekend once.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
13 years today :wcw:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Has TNA been around longer than WCW yet?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Not until later this year (~November) iirc

E: It's kinda funny because they may not make it until then with the TV situation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm going through the 1/27/97 Observer and there aren't a ton of interesting wrestling notes until I get to the WCW section. WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD OF THIS AND WHY DIDN'T IT HAPPEN!?!

quote:

Don Frye was interviewed recently on a Texas radio station and asked about the rumors of him replacing Steve McMichael in the Four Horseman and he said he's been talking regularly to Ric Flair about it and hopes it happens.

This couldn't be the deal that led to the meeting with Bischoff and Ernest Miller because Miller wasn't with the company yet (I think that was in 99) but holy poo poo, I can't even imagine.

quote:

Sullivan and Benoit are taking their angle to the extreme so to speak. After the Nitro on 1/13, there was a brawl where Sullivan punched Benoit twice at about 12:30 a.m. at Hightoppers, a bar near the Superdome, and they had a major pull-apart after Benoit was making out with Nancy. This is similar to the Pillman deal in that the only ones in on it are probably Kevin, Nancy, Chris, Bischoff and a few others and they are trying to pass it off to the boys as legit since most of the wrestlers were there. Because of the Pillman deal, almost none of the wrestlers buy it but there are a few who thought it was legit. There were only a few people at the bar that weren't WCW personnel.

quote:

The Chicago Sun-Times ran an article about McMichael over the weekend which stated he earns in the mid six figures (he was rumored to be earning in the $350,000 range when he was announcing, haven't heard any word on what he's making to wrestle--or whatever it is they call what he does) and that they were grooming him for a semi main position. Even though he shows up every Monday to do his one interview (and his wife is now carrying him), he rarely does any training before the show in the ring and when he does he's still described as being barely able to do the basics.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Don Frye showing up staggering drunk and legit KOing dudes would have been ratings gold.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

This couldn't be the deal that led to the meeting with Bischoff and Ernest Miller because Miller wasn't with the company yet (I think that was in 99) but holy poo poo, I can't even imagine.

Considering that that The Cat makes his debut during Slamboree '97 it probably was.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Also this:

quote:

On the Robin Hood deal on 1/13, apparently everyone in WCW was under the impression the two clips of the Hogan-Giant match would air in the first two commercials breaks and not be strung out until nearly 40 minutes into the show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Man I still get pissed when I think about the stunt TNT pulled with Robin Hood

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Considering that that The Cat makes his debut during Slamboree '97 it probably was.

I doubt he was hanging around the WCW offices, talking like a member of the roster 4+ months before his debut, even if he was friends with Bischoff.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Price Check posted:

King of the Ring '93 is a great Alternate Universe nexus for all of this: Heenan commentating alongside Jim Ross while Bret Hart dominates the show. Obviously Heenan obviously worked best next to a good straight man and it's interesting to think about how he would have done alongside JR for any length of time.

I had no idea this existed....you have...well who am I kidding...WWE Network has already more then paid for itself. This just adds to it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's kind of funny in that Heenan really has to work to get in a word edgewise with JR. JR before his soul was broken was just going a mile a minute.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

WCW: October 1988 - March 2001 (12 years, 5 months)
TNA: May 2002 - Present (11 years, 10 months)

November of this year is indeed when TNA will surpass WCW's lifespan.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

I doubt he was hanging around the WCW offices, talking like a member of the roster 4+ months before his debut, even if he was friends with Bischoff.

Wasn't the story that Bischoff brought in Miller, thinking it would impress Frye? And then Miller started talking poo poo?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

Wasn't the story that Bischoff brought in Miller, thinking it would impress Frye? And then Miller started talking poo poo?

I don't remember the context of why Miller was there, but he did start talking poo poo, Frye said they already had top kickboxers in MMA (and I think cited Maurice Smith who didn't debut in UFC until mid 97) and Miller then tried to say how he was better than all of them because karate.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I always liked Ernest 'the cat' Miller. I used to love the thing he did where he would turn his back and count to 5? giving his opponent time to leave, and then when he turned around he would get clobbered.

I also liked him as commissioner.

I have bad opinions. Sorry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He was kinda fun as Commish. Somebody call his mama!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The Cat was fun and funny quite frequently; he just sucked on ice in the ring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Couldn't have put it better. Unfortunately, it can be tough to find roles for all the guys in wrestling this applies to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Cat was fun in skits and short promos where he danced and said a catch phrase. When he had to go out there for a few minutes and talk he was really bad. He would just get lost and trip over words.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Pretty much this, yeah. He was a comedy midcard guy, and he was good at it.

I'm gonna' whup a foo!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The Cat was fun in skits and short promos where he danced and said a catch phrase. When he had to go out there for a few minutes and talk he was really bad. He would just get lost and trip over words.

That's why he made a fine Commish.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

That time he beat up most of the Armstrongs was so great.

"Somebody call my mama I just whupped the whole Armstrong family. Where's Bullet Bob?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's why he made a fine Commish.

That was when he had to do some of his longer promos because he had to lay out matches and storylines while being all YOU PEOPLE.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Millers appearance in the 05 rumble was the best thing he ever did by a wide margin.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Ernest Miller was real good in the Wrestler, too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

It's kind of funny in that Heenan really has to work to get in a word edgewise with JR. JR before his soul was broken was just going a mile a minute.

Yep, I also loved Mr. Perfect tossing his towel so perfectly on Mr. Hughes.

God I love this channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you