Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Watch Berserk. Then read it because the anime is old and the movies have horrible drastic plot cuts. Then despair because new chapters come out a few times a year.

But seriously, Berserk should be right up your alley.

I've actually heard good things, but it doesn't seem to be on any of my streaming services :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the original Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? Because if it isn't, you should watch Hellsing Ultimate.

The original, I was not aware of the existence of Hellsing Ultimate but it doesn't look like it's on Netflix or Crunchyroll either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Industrial posted:

The original, I was not aware of the existence of Hellsing Ultimate but it doesn't look like it's on Netflix or Crunchyroll either.
It follows the manga much more closely than the original series did (which diverged greatly after the Hellsing Estate massacre by the Valentine Brothers, because that was all that had been written at the time). It's 10 OVA's long with up to the 8th episode dubbed so far, each is about 45 minutes, and each one's basically an animated version of the corresponding manga volume with a few minor events shuffled about (A big fight from the start of volume 4's moved to the end of the 3rd OVA, that sort of thing). The best part is they got all the original dub actors back for it :allears:.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It follows the manga much more closely than the original series did (which diverged greatly after the Hellsing Estate massacre by the Valentine Brothers, because that was all that had been written at the time). It's 10 OVA's long with up to the 8th episode dubbed so far, each is about 45 minutes, and each one's basically an animated version of the corresponding manga volume with a few minor events shuffled about (A big fight from the start of volume 4's moved to the end of the 3rd OVA, that sort of thing). The best part is they got all the original dub actors back for it :allears:.

So it's an improved remake rather than a sequel? Sounds loving awesome, I'll look for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm surprised Trigun isn't on your "Loved" category, given the other titles on there. You might like Psycho-Pass, but that's not on Crunchyroll (idk if it's on Netflix). If you don't mind SD and commercials, it's available on Hulu/Funimation. You might also like Baccano! (same deal as Psycho-Pass, but on Funimation's Youtube channel instead of Hulu), or its successor Durarara!! which is on Crunchyroll. You don't really need to see Baccano! to watch DRRR!!, so jump right in if you want. All you'll miss is a cameo of the two best characters and a lot of background details that are throwbacks to Baccano!.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 20, 2014

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that the original Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate? Because if it isn't, you should watch Hellsing Ultimate.

In a similar vein do you mean Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. I found Dragon Ball to be a much more enjoyable show / comic.

I much preferred Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood to the original. You might want to check that out.

One Piece can take quite a few episodes to get into. It then gets very good however. It is one of the top rated Manga of all time for a reason.

There are also several versions of Tenchi Muyo. I personally preferred the OVA to the TV version and found Tokyo to be rather bland.

For general recommendations I would go with my old standbys for people with similar looking tastes. The Slayers (TV or OVA), The Irresponsible Captain Tylor (TV only), and Outlaw Star.

Lallander fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 20, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lallander posted:

In a similar vein do you mean Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z. I found Dragon Ball to be a much more enjoyable show / comic.

Edit: Also One Piece can take quite a few episodes to get into. It then gets very good however. It is one of the top rated Manga of all time for a reason.

It's a perfectly good manga, but the One Piece anime, like most long-running shonen manga adaptations, has serious pacing issues, especially in later arcs.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

I'm surprised Trigun isn't on your "Loved" category, given the other titles on there. You might like Psycho-Pass, but that's not on Crunchyroll (idk if it's on Netflix). If you don't mind SD and commercials, it's available on Hulu/Funimation. You might also like Baccano! (same deal as Psycho-Pass, but on Funimation's Youtube channel instead of Hulu), or its successor Durarara!! which is on Crunchyroll. You don't really need to see Baccano! to watch DRRR!!, so jump right in if you want. All you'll miss is a cameo of the two best characters and a lot of background details that are throwbacks to Baccano!.

Baccano at least used to be on Netflix. Haven't looked at their lineup lately, so no idea if that's still true.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Silver2195 posted:

It's a perfectly good manga, but the One Piece anime, like most long-running shonen manga adaptations, has serious pacing issues, especially in later arcs.

That is true, I don't find it detracts too much though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The selection of anime on Netflix was pretty barren last year when I unsubbed (probably ~8 months ago). Has it improved? (I've heard of their experiment with K of Sidonia)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 20, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
One Piece takes 200 episodes before the plot becomes interesting and by then it's already sloping off into 1 chapter = 1 episode land. I have a soft spot for it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a teenager or unemployed.

And especially not to someone whose list of preferences shouts "I hate long-form shonen series."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rinkles posted:

The selection of anime on Netflix was pretty barren last year when I unsubbed (probably ~8 months ago). Has it improved? (I've heard of their experiment with K of Sidonia)

They spontaneously get fairly modern stuff like Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan. At the same time there's completely boneheaded choices like season 2 of Spice and Wolf and Sengoku Basara but not season 1, and it's still missing the last 10-13 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

They spontaneously get fairly modern stuff like Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan. At the same time there's completely boneheaded choices like season 2 of Spice and Wolf and Sengoku Basara but not season 1, and it's still missing the last 10-13 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood.

I believe that's down to their deal with Funimation. They rotate what's available at any given point.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Looking for a really good comedy anime. Really liked the Beelzebub anime, The Devil is a Part Timer, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Inferno Cop, and Turning Girls.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 20, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

School Rumble is an entertaining screwball series. Hell, if you're good with dubs it has one of the better ones out there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Looking for a really good comedy anime. Really liked the Beelzebub anime, The Devil is a Part Timer, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Inferno Cop, and Turning Girls.

Daily Lives if High School Boys seems like just the thing you need. If you want something with a supernatural bent, Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san! might also catch your fancy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How can you recommend Nichibros and not recommend Nichijou?

e: Forgot Silver Spoon. It does have a serious side as well, but it's still a hilarious show.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I would also try Servant x Service and season 2 of Working!!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

Daily Lives of High School Boys and Level E, man. Both amazing.

/edit: Level E might not look like it at first, but keep watching through the first episode. It's great.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Lallander posted:

There are also several versions of Tenchi Muyo. I personally preferred the OVA to the TV version and found Tokyo to be rather bland.

Tenchi is really really mixed bag. OVA is good, except the last OVA is kinda poo poo and a totally different style, tv is pretty solid all the way through. The various spin offs are pretty mediocre.

Tenchi in Tokyo is not bland though. Tenchi in Tokyo is a hate crime against animation and writing.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Daily Lives of High School Boys and Level E, man. Both amazing.

/edit: Level E might not look like it at first, but keep watching through the first episode. It's great.

Seconding Level E, as funny as it is at the start, it gets amazing later on.

The dub of Nerima Daikon Brothers is something near and dear to my heart, possibly the hardest I've ever laughed at a show. I can't imagine the sub is even close to as much fun. They did a fantastic job on the dub.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright! New list of series I've been recommended, seen being mentioned on here and was curious about, or saw in the random/popular list on Kissmanga. I'd like to know if they're good/bad/crimes against humanity, whether they're good all the way through or jump the shark at some point, etc:

no comments below yet:
Sundome(no idea)
Himizu(no idea)
Say I Love You(no idea)
Uwagaki(no idea)

Pass:
Maji de Watashi ni Ko Shinasai(no idea)
Little Busters(no idea)

Maybe:
A Certain Scientific Railgun(seen gifs of a neck-snapping schoolteacher in the anime or something, was curious because it looked like it was played for comedy)
Orange Marmalade(sounds real dumb and vampires but maybe it's not???)
Coppelion(no idea)
All-Rounder Meguru(heard good things)
Aiki(heard good things)
QED(no idea)

Probably:
Yume Nikki(no idea)
Akagi(heard lots of good things)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 24, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've only read a few of those. Aiki wasn't bad, but it was dumb as hell and pretty fanservicey. For a martial arts manga, it makes no effort whatsoever to pretend to be remotely realistic, So that depends on your tolerance for profoundly stupid things and tits.

All-Rounder Meguru I just read up to the current translation's end, and its pretty good. Almost Aiki's diametric opposite, a very realistic MMA sports manga.

Uwagaki is a good romcom. Unfortunately its being translated by Japanzai, so the release schedule is erratic as hell. Hopefully they actually finish it, since they're a little over halfway (where's the last volume of Zero-in, drat you).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm a huge fan of All-Rounder Meguru, it can be a bit difficult to follow exactly what's going on in some of the bouts/spars but that's the only complaint I can really muster. A high realism, low/no fanservice sports manga with characters you care about.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Invictus posted:

Alright! New list of series I've been recommended, seen being mentioned on here and was curious about, or saw in the random/popular list on Kissmanga. I'd like to know if they're good/bad/crimes against humanity, whether they're good all the way through or jump the shark at some point, etc:

Out of that list, I can only speak to two, and not with much authority.

Aiki feels like a bog-standard shounen fighting-for-no-reason manga. I think it's only categorized as seinen because of the sex and nudity, but that is so gratuitous and juvenile that you can almost hear the author laughing like Beavis & Butthead. It doesn't even have an interesting premise, it's just students fighting for control of the school or something. I read enough of this one to be pretty confident in its tone and quality, and I'm just not interested. I could be too old to appreciate this kind of thing anymore, but it just feels bland to me. If you want manga with fake (like, superpowers and stuff) fighting that actually has an interesting premise, try Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

The other is Coppelion, and I only saw a few episodes of the anime, not the manga. Tokyo was destroyed (of course it was) by some kind of unspecified disaster and is now uninhabitable because of unspecified contamination (I think in the manga it's nuclear, but the anime was made like during the Fukushima disaster so they excised any reference to that for the anime). Japan sends in specially modified/engineered high school girls (of course they are) into the hot zones to investigate/look for survivors or holdouts. Sounds like it could be interesting, but the show could not hook me even once. I was just bored.

The setup was interesting enough, but the execution was so formulaic I was just yawning the whole time. Every beat felt like it came off a checklist and nothing flowed together. It's time for the girls' first mission. It's time for one of them to act like a doofus. It's time for one of them to be noble despite their orders. It's time for them all to navel-gaze because they were engineered. Bittersweet tragedy involving guest cast. Time to wonder about the central mystery. Check, check, check, check, check.

The manga may be more cohesive and/or paced better, someone else may be able to tell you on this one. But I'd avoid the anime.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

Yume Nikki(no idea)
It's terrible if it's anything like the anime. 50% nonsensical plot, 50% fanservice.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chas McGill posted:

It's terrible if it's anything like the anime. 50% nonsensical plot, 50% fanservice.

Isn't that Mirai Nikki? Yume Nikki is a 1-man project (sort of like Cave Story) videogame that was rather popular a few years ago.

The game had a pretty unique atmosphere, but I don't know of it'd translate all that well to a manga format.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'll vouch for Orange Marmalade. Read it recently when I finally decided to jump into manhwa webcomics for the first time and it turned out to be pretty good surprisingly given the premise. Cool romance story and the vampire aspect is done pretty differently in that they're basically shunned minorities so our heroine has a fear of becoming estranged, akin to Koe no Katachi's Shoko being estranged due to being misunderstood, so you get some pretty solid drama as well as solid heartwarming moments overall.

Maji de Watashi ni Ko Shinasai and Little Busters are both originally visual novels so take that how you will.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Maji de Watashi ni Ko Shinasai(no idea)
Little Busters(no idea)
A Certain Scientific Railgun(seen gifs of a neck-snapping schoolteacher in the anime or something, was curious because it looked like it was played for comedy)
I can comment on these three I suppose.

Maji de Watashi ni Ko Shinasai: More popularly known as Majikoi, its primary appeal was as a VN because it featured a ridiculously good voice cast and had very high production values. Things that would be lost in a manga adaptation. Based on what I know of you I don't think you're going to like this one all that much. The VN itself is a decent if inconsistent action/comedy high school affair.

Little Busters!: Again based on a VN. If you like other Key dramas like CLANNAD or Kanon, there's a chance you will like this a lot. If not then don't bother. But even if you do like them LB! still has some issues which bother a lot of fans; for me for example, I found most of the girls' routes to be a complete waste of time. A hodgepodge of seemingly rejected VN routes from other Key works that they decided to just throw into a blender for LB! regardless of whether they fit thematically or not. This is what sunk the anime, since the first season focused on those routes. The plus was that once you got to the main girl (Rin) and the true end route (Refrain) it had a little of that magic from CLANNAD/Kanon. I'm also going to go out on a limb that you're not going to be a big fan of this. I also have no idea how good/bad the manga version is.

A Certain Scientific Railgun: I fully admit that I like this a decent amount despite it being a little bit trashy. It's kind of like anime lesbian X-men where the characters with various powers live in a City Of The Future and encounter with wacky antics or evil scientists plotting to take over/destroy the world. I loathe the parent franchise of this (Index), but I mostly like Railgun because the powers are usually pretty interesting and used in an interesting manner, and the main male character from Index who I hate a lot is mostly absent. One sort of gimmick the series has is that both the anime and manga counterparts are mostly canon with each other, and some anime-only events are referenced in the manga and vice versa. The anime has its moments but I also has a lot more dumb fanservice bullshit so shrug. It's not the best action manga you'll read but I look forward to new releases all the same.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 24, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks, that eliminates most of the stuff from the list, I rearranged it a bit and now it's down to six that nobody has recommended/rejected yet. I axed the two VN adaptations because they're probably not going to be my thing, I am not sure of anything I've read has been a VN adaptation before, but they don't really seem appealing to me. Also never seen/read Kanon/Clannad though so there's that. I've heard they're big fat uguu bummers and I'm pretty sure I got completely spoiled on the ending of one of the two by a video splicing in a train ride with a crying dude and a kid with...I want to say Twitch Plays Pokemon or something equally out of left field. Ah well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that Mirai Nikki? Yume Nikki is a 1-man project (sort of like Cave Story) videogame that was rather popular a few years ago.

The game had a pretty unique atmosphere, but I don't know of it'd translate all that well to a manga format.

Also, Mirai Nikki owned and (apart from the OVA which added some goofy filler between the two endings) made perfect sense, both thematically and in terms of time travel.

It's right up there with Attack on Titan as a series that painstakingly sets everything up only to get called out for "making poo poo up as it goes."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 24, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

I axed the two VN adaptations because they're probably not going to be my thing, I am not sure of anything I've read has been a VN adaptation before, but they don't really seem appealing to me.
Well most VN adaptations are awful so to a certain extent that might be by accidental design. Though did you ever see Steins;Gate? That was based on a VN, which I still prefer but the anime came drat close. As an aside CLANNAD is one of the only cases where I felt that the anime improved upon the original.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Wark Say posted:

Actually, yeah, I was thinking of Mirai Nikki, which I maintain is terrible. Yume Nikki is interesting and cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Steins Gate is something I've got on my watch list, yeah. Don't have much time to actually watch things though, which is why I prefer manga, since it's something I can read on my tablet at work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

no comments below yet:
Sundome(no idea)

Nope. Don't do it. Especially if you plan to read stuff at work.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
I'll speak to Akagi and add another opinion on Railgun.

Akagi is exceptionally good at creating and maintaining suspense, a staple of Fukumoto's works. The titular character fits into the "enigmatic prodigy" archetype that you've certainly encountered before, but despite how alien he is, he is shown to have very human flaws--which he exploits to the fullest. There are a couple of things about the series, both manga and anime, which are potentially problematic, however. First, most of the suspense is based on high-stakes mahjong gambling, and not understanding the game lessens the impact of that suspense somewhat. I would know, as I learned the game while reading and watching it :v:. Second, the pacing gets progressively worse as the manga goes on. There is one single night of mahjong that had been happening in the manga when the anime was airing--and to this day still isn't over, if I remember right. Despite that, I thought it was great.

I would not recommend Railgun on a measure of pure quality. Most of the writing, particularly of the plot and characterization, is weak for much of the series. However, I personally believe that despite that, it's very entertaining and thus worth a recommendation. It's a lot of fun to read about the kinds of problems a city full of superpowered anime high schoolers has, and the ways in which their powers interact with these problems. And there are points where the writing is fairly impressive. Regarding its relationship with parent series Index, I will say that Index is largely very stupid, but ramps up its entertainment value to a high I've rarely seen (though that part has yet to be animated from the source material), and this certainly colors my impression of Railgun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
QED is Encyclopedia Brown solving murders in the mid-late 90s. If you like trying to figure out the gimmick of a crime as you read along, you'll probably enjoy it at least somewhat. Not really any fanservice or moe antics that I can recall, although the Sally Kimball analogue probably has a slight thing for the EB analogue.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Relambrien posted:

There is one single night of mahjong that had been happening in the manga when the anime was airing--and to this day still isn't over, if I remember right. Despite that, I thought it was great.
It ended a couple months ago, after 15 years spanning 20 volumes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Guyver posted:

It ended a couple months ago, after 15 years spanning 20 volumes.

I thought HnI had pacing issues :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Relambrien posted:

I'll speak to Akagi and add another opinion on Railgun.

Akagi is exceptionally good at creating and maintaining suspense, a staple of Fukumoto's works. The titular character fits into the "enigmatic prodigy" archetype that you've certainly encountered before, but despite how alien he is, he is shown to have very human flaws--which he exploits to the fullest. There are a couple of things about the series, both manga and anime, which are potentially problematic, however. First, most of the suspense is based on high-stakes mahjong gambling, and not understanding the game lessens the impact of that suspense somewhat. I would know, as I learned the game while reading and watching it :v:. Second, the pacing gets progressively worse as the manga goes on. There is one single night of mahjong that had been happening in the manga when the anime was airing--and to this day still isn't over, if I remember right. Despite that, I thought it was great.

Is the pacing worse than in Kaiji? Because there were some things that I really really loved about it but the pacing just turned it into kind of a slog for me.

• Locked thread