Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Duckboat posted:

Idle curiosity here.

Say someone wrote a check for a certain amount, call it $100, at a point when they had enough money in their account. However, they suck at balancing a checkbook because this isn't the 1950's anymore, and the check overdrafts the account. The person deposits money in the account and makes sure the bill is properly paid as soon as they notice the discrepancy.

Has anything other than stupidity on the part of the checkwriter occurred?

Assume Massachusetts.

Ouch, Massachusetts. Okay, so there's probably a warrant out for you now, but in the meantime, see if your name shows up in this database yet: http://sorb.chs.state.ma.us

If it doesn't, you can probably hire a proper lawyer before they pick you up and you might get off with a nice easy probation.

If this is literally your first bounced check, call the bank and be nice and tell them about how you've been a good loving loyal customer for so long and this was just a simple screwup and they'll probably reverse the overdraft fees they charged you. Won't help with any bounced check fees from whoever the check was written to, though. Also, set up overdraft protection on your checking account even if you normally have plenty of money in there, ya dingus.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
So basically nothing, aside from "lern 2 chekbook?" Captain Hypothetical was afraid it was fraud or something, even though he corrected the issue as soon as he found out about it.

e: What if the check had a gold fringe? :ohdear:

The check did not have a gold fringe.

Duckboat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 24, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Duckboat posted:

So basically nothing, aside from "lern 2 chekbook?" Captain Hypothetical was afraid it was fraud or something, even though he corrected the issue as soon as he found out about it.

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure fraud implies intent, which would be hard to prove if it's your first time and you took step to fix the issue as soon as you became aware of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, nothing except embarrassment and probably a couple fees (some of which you can talk your way out of.) Just don't make a habit of it. And really, put some overdraft protection on there. You can probably do it right through your bank's website. It's free (should be, anyhow, I guess some bank could be insane) and just automatically draws on another specified account in such a situation.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I'll make sure Captain Hypothetical is better with his finances.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Duckboat posted:

Thanks for the replies.

I'll make sure Captain Hypothetical is better with his finances.

If Captain Hypothetical were in need of advice, there might be an A/T subforum dedicated to business, finance and career, and Captain Hypothetical might find answers to all the questions he could possibly have by asking in the newbie thread.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Funambulist posted:

Yeah, I set up a gmail filter to catch anything from their email address...

A therapist might help you find peace, a lawyer probably won't. Choose your path.

Konstantin posted:

A landlord enters a tenant's apartment and finds what he believes to be illegal drugs. If the landlord contacts the police, can he give them permission to search the apartment if the tenant isn't notified or denies permission? ...

Permission doesn't matter. If the landlord reports illegal drugs then that's probably enough for the police to have probable cause. At that point it's up to the police. They don't need the landlord's permission or anyone else's. They may ask permission so that they can say the search was consensual. It makes things easier on the DA.

Dienes posted:

Can they legally demand that I overpay my rent?

They can demand that you dance with your pants on your head. What recourse do they have if you refuse? Regardless, it's worth checking your lease. Your right, the demand sounds completely like they are trying to snake their way to a second security deposit that they may opt to keep.

Duckboat posted:

Idle curiosity here.... Has anything other than stupidity on the part of the checkwriter occurred?

Assume Massachusetts.

It could be capital treason if you believe yourself bound to US and MA law. Luckily, you have easy access to the open waters of the Atlantic. You should be safe aboard a boat.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
:banjo:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 24, 2014

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

vertitable wall of :words:

I doubt any of the actual lawyers will touch something so very specific without going through the formal engagement process that establishes a client-attorney relationship. You might have better luck if you asked your question in the form of a hypothetical. I think the thread OP discusses this.

Also, you did not specify if the events happened on a boat. That detail is important for many of the more prolific amongst us.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

If it's worth 100k, it's worth hiring a lawyer. Also, no one is going to interpret your contract for you - we get paid, by paying clients, to do that kind of thing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

patentmagus posted:

Also, you did not specify if the events happened on a boat. That detail is important for many of the more prolific amongst us.

Not sure what you mean by this. Didn't see anything in the op either. I take it you're not talking about literal boats?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure what you mean by this. Didn't see anything in the op either. I take it you're not talking about literal boats?

It is a lawyer joke. IANAL but if you read this thread enough it has something to do with admirality law or naval law which is different than regular law due to no nation technically owning the oceans etc. Sometimes crazy people try to claim that naval laws are the laws that apply to them etc. etc.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

This is what everyone is talking about when referencing boats/flags with gold fringes/etc

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Why would anyone take the internet's advice about something potentially worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? Hire a lawyer dude, holy poo poo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Would like some opinions on my current employment contract with respect to a trade secret.

Well, trade secrets are basically the opposite of patents. Trade secrets last forever, cost nothing, and have no formal requirements, but as soon as someone can figure out what you did in any way (that does not include corporate espionnage/etc) then they can do it too. Patents are an exchange where you describe your invention in exchange for a X year monopoly, at which point everyone gets it. If you have a trade secret and I independently come up with the same idea, I can patent it and stop you from being able to do it for a while, too (depending on the country).

Nevermind that the firm probably owns the trade secret/invention despite your words up there that I did not read, and if you disclose it to anyone else there is a very significant chance that you will eat legal poo poo.

Call a lawyer or drop this entirely.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think rationalwiki is probably the best source for someone who just wants the lay version: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Freemen_on_the_land

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FrozenVent posted:

It might be best not to engage and just ignore them, however. A scary letter won't do anything legally, but it might piss them off and make them feel their obsession towards you is justified, leading them to escalate.

I'd set my email rules to delete anything from them and screen my calls, they should leave you alone in six weeks or so.

I am not a lawyer, but this is good advice. It's unfortunate, but legal remedies aren't really very good for dealing with crazy people. If you serve a rational person with some sort of no-contact order, for instance, they might say 'Geeze, way to over-react rear end in a top hat' and then gently caress off. If you serve one on a crazy person, you might find them bashing on your door at 2am screaming about god's love for you (Spoiler: This actually happened to me!). Because they are crazy and do an even worse job of evaluating their actions than normal people.

If all they are doing is sending you weirdo emails, filter those to a folder and ignore them. Do not respond, do not reply, do nothing to indicate that you even got them. If this is something that is upsetting to you, I would even recommend that you find someone like your SO or a close friend to do the job of breezing through them for anything actually important so that you don't have to be exposed to it. Zero response is generally the best way to dissuade these people. Taking a legal route is probably only worthwhile if they are escalating on their own or if you have a legitimate fear for your safety.

There is also a 'Crazy Parents' thread in E/N that might have practical suggestions for you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, I started reading that Decision and it keeps going and going.

My favorite is when :meads: pointed to the Seal of Alberta and said that is was a Court of Water and not a Court of Land.

edit

No the idea that he has a birth certificate bond somewhere worth millions is even funnier.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 24, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Well, trade secrets are basically the opposite of patents. Trade secrets last forever, cost nothing, and have no formal requirements, but as soon as someone can figure out what you did in any way (that does not include corporate espionnage/etc) then they can do it too. Patents are an exchange where you describe your invention in exchange for a X year monopoly, at which point everyone gets it. If you have a trade secret and I independently come up with the same idea, I can patent it and stop you from being able to do it for a while, too (depending on the country).

Nevermind that the firm probably owns the trade secret/invention despite your words up there that I did not read, and if you disclose it to anyone else there is a very significant chance that you will eat legal poo poo.

Call a lawyer or drop this entirely.

Well its Monday so I'm gonna call a lawyer first thing.

...photoshop, wedding photography, publishing, pasta noodles, variable valve timing, camshafts, white cake.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 24, 2014

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
It literally does not matter; you can spend your time convincing the posters in this thread if you want, but you don't have a problem with which this thread can help you. If the idea is worth money to you and you want to avoid getting locked in litigation for years, hire a lawyer.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Good god, just stop posting. You said you were going to talk to a lawyer. Do it. If I were the other side in the lawsuit against you and got a hold of your posts here (which is easy to do and common) this would be a gold mine.

Also, in general, using a commercial product to do something it's designed and marketed to do is not a trade secret, even if nobody else is using the product in your geographical area.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Arcturas posted:

Good god, just stop posting. You said you were going to talk to a lawyer. Do it. If I were the other side in the lawsuit against you and got a hold of your posts here (which is easy to do and common) this would be a gold mine.

Also, in general, using a commercial product to do something it's designed and marketed to do is not a trade secret, even if nobody else is using the product in your geographical area.

Not sure how the specifics of what I've posted can be used against my case but I'll err on the side of caution and take my posts down.

Also, imagine the hypothetical photoshop isn't marketed for photo touch up and its not just my geographical area but everywhere. Still not a trade secret?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Using a commercial product to do something it's designed to do (marketed or not!) ain't a trade secret.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kalman posted:

Using a commercial product to do something it's designed to do (marketed or not!) ain't a trade secret.

That's actually good for me then right? If its not a trade secret, then the company can't come after me for using it for my own gain but its still a 'secret' per say in that no one else is using it thus the advantage.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Yep, you caught us. You're free to do whatever you want to do and don't need to talk to a lawyer now.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Yep, you caught us. You're free to do whatever you want to do and don't need to talk to a lawyer now.

When did I say that? I'm just happy there's a new potential angle. It's still 8am over here. Lawyers still at home putting on ties.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just send them a copy of your birth certificate which you should then file with First Trust and Loan as security on your legal person. When you sign your new economic contract make sure you use lower case letters and ":" between your vowels.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

how is your not-invention possibly worth $100k if everyone already knows about it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What's worth 100k is that he's the first person to think to use it to do something it was designed to do, obviously.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Everyone knows about it but not in the way he's using it, duh! It's like my toilet paper roll spyglass. People think they're just for toilet paper, but really they're an incredibly valuable and useful nautical device.

This is my patented invention btw, plz step off.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

kedo posted:

Everyone knows about it but not in the way he's using it, duh! It's like my toilet paper roll spyglass. People think they're just for toilet paper, but really they're an incredibly valuable and useful nautical device.

If it's an invention meant to be used on a boat, then does admiralty IP law apply?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I mean, a novel and nonobvious use for something to do a different thing is patentable so maybe he should reach for the top

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

If it's an invention meant to be used on a boat, then does admiralty IP law apply?

This was actually a giant thing at one point (the big example being pumps on a ship and ships not using them while in national waters where they were covered by a patent).

It's a giant kinda-interesting clusterfuck.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What about a boat in international waters with a wifi router with a NAS hosting patented software for download?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

kedo posted:

Too late, based on your internet post I'm going to 35 USC 102 (post AIA) your rear end and create my own toilet paper roll spyglass empire.

FrozenVent posted:

Why, yes it does. Of course that also depends on which nation flags the vessel, whose port or territorial waters, etc. Oddly, disputed waters result in forum shopping. A lot of admiralty law comes down to determining jurisdiction and venue. After that the cases tend to follow more traditional routes such as contract, property, murder, and gay marriage.

It's a giant kinda-interesting clusterfuck.

But highly remunerative if you get the case that arises each decade.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What about a boat in international waters with a wifi router with a NAS hosting patented software for download?

Depends on the nation flagging the vessel and the nationality of the pirates that come blow it up. If the NAS vessel is not flagged by any nation then no one, except maybe the EFF, would give a poo poo if it gets blown up.

patentmagus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 24, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

patentmagus posted:

Depends on the nation flagging the vessel and the nationality of the pirates that come blow it up. If the NAS vessel is not flagged by any nation then no one, except maybe the EFF, would give a poo poo if it gets blown up.

If the vessel was unflagged, the Convention for the Prevention of Unlawful Acts at Sea (I might be getting the name wrong) would kick in, and whichever country the victims were a national of could intervene.

Maritime law is loving hilarious.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

patentmagus posted:

hth

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

o no now i have to patent a machine in combination with a signal :qq:

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure how the specifics of what I've posted can be used against my case but I'll err on the side of caution and take my posts down.

Also, imagine the hypothetical photoshop isn't marketed for photo touch up and its not just my geographical area but everywhere. Still not a trade secret?

Probably the part where you posted your agreement and also said that you were trying to avoid the spirit of it, at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

o no now i have to patent a machine in combination with a signal :qq:

Too bad the transmitter isn't in the United States though, so you're still not practicing a patent invention in the country etc. etc.