Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My Q-Face posted:

The subjects of their taped segments are not typically public figures, so they do not have a dozen other outlets for their lunacy. They are, however, typical examples of supporters of the people they have on the live interviews.

If they changed their format because lost access to the big names, they'd go back to being the Craig Kilborn bore-fest, making fun of UFO spotters and conspiracy theorists instead of low-level party functionaries.

Their taped segments also don't take place before an audience and are edited. The subjects are more likely to let something terrible slip, and it is easier to highlight those slips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

TDS's taped segments are heavily edited, at times to make the subject or the interviewer seem exaggeratedly stupid. Also, it feels like some of the interviewees are coached to play along with the bit.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

And if they really couldn't find any more people to come on the show to do interviews, it wouldn't be the end of the world if the self-styled comedy show was forced to replace them with another comedy segment.

I remember an interview where Jon Stewart said the whole reason they do the interviews is because the staff simply can't come up with another 5 minutes of content every day.

Basically this thread for the last dozen pages.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 22, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I consider Stewart's interviews completely unwatchable regardless of who he is interviewing. Colbert is better, but still spotty.

I haven't watched the daily show in years but I remember a few well done interviews. His takedown of Betsy 'Death Panels' McCaughey was pretty good:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/b52wbd/betsy-mccaughey-pt--1
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/pysl6s/exclusive---betsy-mccaughey-extended-interview-pt--1
http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bv57fl/exclusive---betsy-mccaughey-extended-interview-pt--2

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PeterWeller posted:

Their taped segments also don't take place before an audience and are edited. The subjects are more likely to let something terrible slip, and it is easier to highlight those slips.

Or in the case of Don Yelton, who has a vast online trove of saying stupid poo poo, they edited him to appear more articulate and coherent.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm surprised no one's posted it yet but Rush Limbaugh's stupid rear end "Rush Revere" book is nominated for Best Children's Author or something like that.

Here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/22/limbaughs-rush-revere-puts-host-running-childrens-/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There's a long, hilarious, and depressing article at the LA Weekly about the collapse of the Pacifica Network, once the crown jewel of left-wing political radio, which is now a snakepit of conspiracy theorizing, alternative "medicines", and super-factional politics. An excerpt:

quote:

Pacifica has a long and storied history, and still features such leading liberals as Amy Goodman, the widely known host of Democracy Now! (on which journalists Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill are frequent guests), but it has fallen on hard times of late. Listenership, according Reese, is "extraordinarily low." During an average 15-minute period, just 700 people listen to its Los Angeles station, 90.7 FM KPFK, for at least five minutes, according to Nielsen Audio, which monitors radio ratings.

For L.A.'s other public radio stations, KCRW and KPCC, that number is 8,000 and 20,000, respectively. KPFK draws roughly one one-thousandth of all radio listeners in the Metro Los Angeles area.

Pacifica's New York station, WBAI, is even worse off, with too few listeners to register on the Arbitron rankings, and is all but bankrupt. Last year, most of the staff was laid off, including the entire news department.

Making matters worse, the federal government, via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, is withholding Pacifica's grant money, thanks to the network's "failure to provide documentation" for a 2012 audit.

Reese accuses her enemies of plotting to cover up financial malfeasance and even embezzlement. Reese's opponents accuse her of incompetence and scheming to turn over control of the organization to Gary Null, an alternative-medicine guru and longtime Pacifica host, who sells his own vitamins and nutritional supplements during pledge drives — for which he takes a healthy cut, according to several board members and managers who spoke to the Weekly.

Reese also has been castigated for some of her fringe beliefs — her résumé includes stints working for the lawyer of Sirhan Sirhan, and for a man named Peymon Mottahedeh, a non-lawyer who nevertheless founded the Freedom Law School, which claims to help clients avoid taxes.

Reese admits to having no Social Security number, saying she is legally exempt because of a "religious objection." When asked her religion, she says only that she's a Christian; when asked whether she pays income taxes, she says only, "I don't think that's relevant to the article."

A National Public Radio fund drive, such as those heard in Los Angeles on much bigger KCRW and KPCC, is a mix of cloying boosterism, promises of tote bags and begging. A Pacifica fund drive, meanwhile, sounds like a never-ending infomercial for products created by a street-corner lunatic.

Take, for example, a five-DVD set titled "The Great Lies of History," which includes five documentaries by Italian filmmaker Massimo Mazzucco: The Second Dallas; The New American Century; UFOs and the Military Elite; The True History of Marijuana; and Cancer: The Forbidden Cures. Cancer features Dr. Tullio Simoncini, an Italian doctor who claims to treat cancer, which he says originates with a fungus, with sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda.

"There was a woman [diagnosed with] cancer of the uterus," Mazzucco recently explained to KPFK producer Christine Blosdale on air. "She tried the Simoncini method. She healed by herself by simply doing douches, washing with sodium bicarbonate. The cancer's gone, and now she can have babies. Of course, that's one less patient the cancer industry had to milk from."

Minutes later, Mazzucco said: "A new discovery that has been made in the last two years, and is seen at a laboratory level, [is] that marijuana actually cures cancer."

Blosdale then informed the listener, "If you got all the DVDs individually, yes, it would cost $500, but you get all five together for a $250 pledge." (A quick search on Amazon shows "The Great Lies of History" multi-DVD package selling for $49.90.)

Pacifica has become addicted to these pledge drives, which repel listeners looking for news and analysis from a left-wing perspective.

"People that have relied on Pacifica as the bastion of progressive news have slowly turned away," says Sonali Kolhatkar, host of KPFK's Uprising. "People looking for inner peace or nirvana are more and more of our listenership, and they shell out hundreds of dollars. We have successful pledge drives because we're selling this stuff."

Unlike NPR, Pacifica doesn't have corporate sponsorship (or underwriting, in public-radio speak). While listener sponsorship counts for not quite 40 percent of NPR's funding, it counts for about 80 percent of Pacifica's. While KCRW holds two nine-day-long fund drives each year, KPFK holds a monthlong fund drive every three months — meaning one out of every three days is a pledge drive, days full of DVDs and nutritional supplements and get-rich-quick schemes such as the "Wealth Propulsion Challenge," an online course that promotes "how to get rich holistically" — and quickly — via "subconscious reprogramming."

"Meanwhile, I'm supposed to talk all this happy talk — 'We're a great station! We don't take corporate money!' " Ian Masters says glumly. "It's a moral issue. We're ripping off the public."

Much of the money raised in a recent WBAI fund drive came from Gary Null and Monique Guild, a so-called "business intuitive and wealth builder," who was hawking "prosperity workshops." Various sources estimate that Guild and Null take between 30 and 50 percent of the money paid for these "premiums" — the gifts and items they sell to listener-supporters. Many suggest this may actually be illegal, since Pacifica is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.

"Gary Null is a for-profit operation," Masters says, but "we're only supposed to educate and advocate. We're not supposed to be a private home shopping network for Gary Null."

Null used to appear on PBS pledge drives, raising more than $4 million across 24 different stations with a segment called "How to Live Forever." He's also author of "AIDS: A Second Opinion," in which he argues that HIV doesn't cause AIDS and can be treated with dietary supplements.

In 1999, then–PBS president Ervin Duggan said, "What does it profit us to honor science in Nova, only to open the door to quacks and charlatans?"
And on and on and on. Anyone curious as to why the Occupy movement fell apart like a dirt clod in a rainstorm will find much enlightenment here.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm surprised no one's posted it yet but Rush Limbaugh's stupid rear end "Rush Revere" book is nominated for Best Children's Author or something like that.

Here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/22/limbaughs-rush-revere-puts-host-running-childrens-/

Ugh, I read this. It's not a bad concept - but really, I wished he was a bit more original on the names. Rush Revere is just so STUPID. Another hilarious thing is that every picture of Rush's face is the SAME. He never changes his expression.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

RadicalR posted:

Ugh, I read this. It's not a bad concept - but really, I wished he was a bit more original on the names. Rush Revere is just so STUPID. Another hilarious thing is that every picture of Rush's face is the SAME. He never changes his expression.

"It's not a bad concept" - guy with Ayn Rand userpic

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

That's the angle most likely to convince you he has a neck.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
The last time I listened to KPFT was when Amy Goodman invited the son of the guy who made Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps to discuss water fluoridation.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FMguru posted:

There's a long, hilarious, and depressing article at the LA Weekly about the collapse of the Pacifica Network, once the crown jewel of left-wing political radio, which is now a snakepit of conspiracy theorizing, alternative "medicines", and super-factional politics. An excerpt:
And on and on and on. Anyone curious as to why the Occupy movement fell apart like a dirt clod in a rainstorm will find much enlightenment here.

This was real good, but I find it more interesting for the fall of old media aspect.

Also, could the reason something like a community radio station failing because it is much more easier now to do something like a New Age health show (In the form of a podcast) by yourself rather than having to get some kind of organization behind you to help get your ideas out there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BigRed0427 posted:

This was real good, but I find it more interesting for the fall of old media aspect.

Also, could the reason something like a community radio station failing because it is much more easier now to do something like a New Age health show (In the form of a podcast) by yourself rather than having to get some kind of organization behind you to help get your ideas out there?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to imply there, but many of the first full-time-broadcasting radio stations out there were run by people hawking bogus/alternative medicines to begin with. It's among the oldest things to do for radio, alongside pure religion (and donate to the LORD by way the way of WCHRIST-AM) stations.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Naga Warlord posted:

Excuse you, it's 99.7% accuracy. :allears:

Has anyone else noticed he's been slowly going down a tenth of a point on this

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FMguru posted:

I did a show on KPFT for the better part of a decade and our problems are nothing compared to what's happening at KPFK. Also, the decision to let the listeners choose the board members was loving insane. It completely changed KPFT's programming, for the worse in my opinion, and is leading to the station's slow death. The people running for the board, more often than not, are old school peaceniks that are scared of anyone under thirty (especially minorities) and are still stuck in the traditional pledge model that only really works on baby boomers. I'll be amazed if they're still on the air in ten years without significant changes to the programming and fundraising strategies.

And we certainly have a fair number of infowars types that try to get shows and call in all the time, but thankfully they haven't gotten organized enough to take over the board (which would be quite easy).

All in all, running a Pacifica station is a thankless job for crazy people. You will never please all the listeners and they all think that their pet obsession is the most important thing ever and must be covered at all times. I'm amazed that they've survived as long as they have and they won't last much longer if they keep letting the listeners pick who runs the station. They can have their Democracy Now, but it will be their undoing.

edit

Swan Oat posted:

The last time I listened to KPFT was when Amy Goodman invited the son of the guy who made Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps to discuss water fluoridation.

This dude may be a crackpot, but I love how ridiculous his packaging is. I bought some dish soap a few years ago just so I could finish reading it all.

And please tell me Goodman isn't a fluoridation conspiracy nut. Next thing she'll be against vaccinations.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 23, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BiggerBoat posted:

Here:

It's because of sales, and kids vote on the actual winner, so don't worry; the content isn't being endorsed, and Rush won't win.

RadicalR posted:

It's about as good as magic steel and and a sonic doomsday device.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

In other right-wing media news it appears that Nate Silver is giving a microphone to a notorious climate science denier who is known for butchering statistics (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/19/3415984/nate-silver-science-writer-ignores-data/). Silver himself seems to be pretty liberal across the board but appears to have a huge blind spot when it comes to climate change, as both his book and now is flagship site show.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

In other right-wing media news it appears that Nate Silver is giving a microphone to a notorious climate science denier who is known for butchering statistics (http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/19/3415984/nate-silver-science-writer-ignores-data/). Silver himself seems to be pretty liberal across the board but appears to have a huge blind spot when it comes to climate change, as both his book and now is flagship site show.

I seem to remember that he's done this before (I think on another topic but I can't remember what it was). It may have been his book, The Signal And The Noise, which also made a bunch of criticisms of climate change.

Basically Nate Silver is really good at analyzing things that are truly random, but he then makes the crucial mistake of assuming that his success in that area makes him an expert in any field involving numbers. There's underlying mechanisms to climate change that are more complex than the random noise of polling results or baseball stats, and he is willing to make predictions without really understanding the models.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I seem to remember that he's done this before (I think on another topic but I can't remember what it was). It may have been his book, The Signal And The Noise, which also made a bunch of criticisms of climate change.

Basically Nate Silver is really good at analyzing things that are truly random, but he then makes the crucial mistake of assuming that his success in that area makes him an expert in any field involving numbers. There's underlying mechanisms to climate change that are more complex than the random noise of polling results or baseball stats, and he is willing to make predictions without really understanding the models.

Yeah, either the article I linked or another one that TP did references the issue in his book. He seems like the Freakonomics guys in that he's very interested in trying to get "the story behind the story" so that he ends up looking smarter than the conventional wisdom. Works great in electoral politics where everyone talks out of their rear end and doesn't care about data but not so much when he's pretending he's smarter than actual scientific consensus.

I was actually going to buy his book but I think I'll take a pass now.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Lying about history: NOT A BAD CONCEPT

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Lying about history: NOT A BAD CONCEPT

Not to mention the irony of (presumably) a Rand supporter talking about how dumb the names of some fictional characters are.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

He was also a 9/11 truther.

Eh? There any citation for this in Hunter's own words? All Google leads me to is the usual gang of tinfoil idiots insisting he was murdered because he was totally about to prove them right about 9/11 any day now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nate Silver actually isn't that good in the statistical analysis part. He is pretty good at packaging those for daily consumption, but he is certainly not better than experts in anything, whatever "truly random" means here. His real innovation in electoral politics was updating the day to day of the electoral horse race, which is something that is very popular. It is not surprising that controversial opinions would appear in his website.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
The Rand avatar wasn't my idea. Apparently, I pissed off a thread shitter by closing a thread when it was clear that it was getting of hand. I'm far too cheap to replace it.

I hate Rush as much as the next guy, but unless any of you have read it, I can't find fault with the story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Eh? There any citation for this in Hunter's own words? All Google leads me to is the usual gang of tinfoil idiots insisting he was murdered because he was totally about to prove them right about 9/11 any day now.

This one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbG5Awb7gK4

It's long and I'm not sure the time stamp where he gets into it. It's a good listen though.

edit: what the gently caress did I do there? Link fixed.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 25, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Install Windows posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to imply there, but many of the first full-time-broadcasting radio stations out there were run by people hawking bogus/alternative medicines to begin with. It's among the oldest things to do for radio, alongside pure religion (and donate to the LORD by way the way of WCHRIST-AM) stations.

I mentioned this in the D&D Pics thread, but Pope Brock's Charlatan, about John R. Brinkley, is about exactly that.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

This dude may be a crackpot, but I love how ridiculous his packaging is. I bought some dish soap a few years ago just so I could finish reading it all.

And please tell me Goodman isn't a fluoridation conspiracy nut. Next thing she'll be against vaccinations.

I think she was probably more just trying to do some mealy mouthed, let's hear all the different sides of this issue than actually trying to push anti-fluoridation nonsense, but like I said I turned it off. Dr Bronner's is fantastic soap, and I use it, and the packaging is really fun to read, but I don't exactly want the crackpot who espouses the label on that soap to lecture me on public health policy.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

"A story out of the UK, aborted babies, were used in incinerators to heat british hospitals." -Rush Limbaugh

This is going to be a good day.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Slightly Toasted posted:

"A story out of the UK, aborted babies, were used in incinerators to heat british hospitals." -Rush Limbaugh

This is also the front page headline on Drudge right now. I'm gonna go make some popcorn.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Slightly Toasted posted:

Holy poo poo. And let me guess, it's not even close to being true.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Not unless British babies are made from wood, no.

edit: using the spare heat generated by incinerators to warm the central heating sounds like a pretty good idea.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So thaaaats what the B in BTU is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Phhfft.. and Republicans said they were serious about removing wasteful spending.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

RadicalR posted:

One would hope. That's not an efficient heating solution.

I'll take a guess at how it shakes out though, assuming it even has the remotest grain of truth behind it: biohazard remains from abortion procedures got sent to the incinerator by accident. Ergo, the SOCIALIST UK government provides heating not through God-Given natural gas, but the blood of the innocent. :black101:

TURN IT OFF! posted:

edit: using the spare heat generated by incinerators to warm the central heating sounds like a pretty good idea.
There was actually a bit of a kerfluffle when it was discovered that I think Denmark(?) was deriving energy by burning roadkill corpses along with garbage in its incinerators.

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.
"Hospital incinerates medical waste and provides heat as a byproduct" isn't a very interesting headline. It's not like on a steam train with a bloke shovelling screaming babies into a furnace.

'Cause shovels are the wrong tool. You need a pitchfork for that.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

OAquinas posted:

One would hope. That's not an efficient heating solution.

I'll take a guess at how it shakes out though, assuming it even has the remotest grain of truth behind it: biohazard remains from abortion procedures got sent to the incinerator by accident. Ergo, the SOCIALIST UK government provides heating not through God-Given natural gas, but the blood of the innocent. :black101:

There was actually a bit of a kerfluffle when it was discovered that I think Denmark(?) was deriving energy by burning roadkill corpses along with garbage in its incinerators.

"Apparently solar panels and wind farms aren't enough anymore for these middleists and liberals" -Rush Limbaugh :v:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig made a 13 year old's dream come true

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

That is child abuse.

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

OAquinas posted:

What is roadkill if not garbage? Better get these ten tons of flattened skunks an individual grave in a pet cemetery.
Also Denmark was the land that killed a giraffe, had it autopsied while school children watched, invited the press to photograph the carcass being eaten in the lion pen, all the while not understanding why the rest of the world was upset.
I don't think they were the ones who we're getting upset that dead animals served some purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig made a 13 year old's dream come true

That poor kid. 15 years from now, he'll curse the day Jonathan tweeted that.