Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Entropic posted:

What's your feeling on how Tromokratis performs vs Aetherling as a finisher?

Aetherling is able to survive more situations, like board wipes, but I love being able to use Tromokratis to help clear the enemy side of the board. Twice against Mono-Black I was facing down two Desecration demons and a mutavault. +1 from Kiora onto a Desecration Demon, swing. He blocks with everything + Mutavault, trading Muta and one Dessy for my Tromo.

They also make the use of their kill spells/bounces more obvious since they can only do it when I'm attacking/blocking. Swan Song that kill spell, good, NOW BLOCK WITH IT. :v:

Tromo is less mana intensive than Atherling as well. Once I've played Tromo, I'm not constantly using 5+ mana to babysit him, leaving me free to do other things after combat step.

edit: High light of the night was using progenitor mimic on Grey Merchant of Asphodel, then protecting it for two turns with counter spells. Living the dream. :unsmith:

Deckit fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Speaking of Master of Cruelties has anyone tried a Grixis type deck where you very lightly splash Thassa, Aqueous Form or even Teleportal? Prowler's Helm + Master and just run the best Rakdos list to push any game to 5 mana? There's a bit of synergy with burn spells with scry to help push the deck to do what it wants to do. Magma Jet, Spark Jolt, and Bolt of Keranos all become lethal if you get to smack face with an unblocked Master of Cruelties.

Feels like there could be a deck there but no one wants to be that guy that lost because he couldn't push 1 damage through some how and lost the game, since Cruelties cannot win the game alone.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
So last week I made a silly :effort: deck to play casually with my group of friends. We all have a type of flavor/theme deck so I went with R/W Samurai's and someone asked me to post it. Here we go, feedback suggested

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jors-samurai-army/

Lieutenant Centaur fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 23, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

So last week I made a silly :effort: deck to play casually with my group of friends. We all have a type of flavor/theme deck so I went with R/W Samurai's and someone asked me to post it. Here we go, feedback suggested

[url]http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jors-samurai-army/[url]

No Bushi Tenderfoot?? <:mad:>

EDIT: Or Godo?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 22, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Korak posted:

Speaking of Master of Cruelties has anyone tried a Grixis type deck where you very lightly splash Thassa, Aqueous Form or even Teleportal? Prowler's Helm + Master and just run the best Rakdos list to push any game to 5 mana? There's a bit of synergy with burn spells with scry to help push the deck to do what it wants to do. Magma Jet, Spark Jolt, and Bolt of Keranos all become lethal if you get to smack face with an unblocked Master of Cruelties.

Feels like there could be a deck there but no one wants to be that guy that lost because he couldn't push 1 damage through some how and lost the game, since Cruelties cannot win the game alone.

A few friends and I have talked about Grixis control, but its not something we're interested in doing until the Izzet scrylands come out. It'll probably be something I or them brew after we have fun with Izzet decks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Plan to to take this BW Midrange to a GPT tomorrow. Was going to go with Harrison Hite's deck from the Open last weekend, but decided to change it based on BBDs deck since I agree with him that Obzedat is better maindeck right now. Considering switching around the removal and taking two out total for Sin Collectors.

Deck: BW Midrange

//Creatures
3 Pack Rat
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Lifebane Zombie
4 Desecration Demon
3 Obzedat, Ghost Council

//Planeswalkers
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Spells
2 Underworld Connections
2 Read the Bones
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Devour Flesh
3 Bile Blight
4 Thoughtseize

//Land
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
4 Orzhov Guildgate
3 Mutavault
3 Plains
8 Swamp

//Sideboard
1 Bile Blight
1 Ultimate Price
1 Doom Blade
1 Dark Betrayal
3 Duress
2 Lifebane Zombie
4 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
2 Revoke Existence

Display deck statistics

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
LightReaper:
Any changes from this list for the Spellheart Chimera deck since you posted it on 3/16?
http://deckbox.org/sets/643617
That's what I'm starting with for now.

For you and anyone else, the two cards I'm most interested in their absence are: Dispel and Rapid Hybridization. Turn definitely seems like the strongest spell in the deck because it is so versatile for removing something that's out of burn range. Rapid seems like a similar alternative, and in a pinch you can even "evolve" your tokens.

Then again I can see where there's not a lot of room for cuts, so I don't know what you'd even stick in there. Same problem with trying to shoehorn Curse of the Swine in the board to cast pre-Anger or pre-Mortars.

Also, since you aren't happy with the mana for Dissolve, is there a reason you're not running Guildgates even if they are so much worse than Scrylands?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Report from Turbo Gates.

We started the day well with wins in the first two rounds, then both lost the third round leaving us 2-1. Fourth round we both won and they placed the standings. He was 17 I was 18.

Mirror match. He won the dice roll and we went 3 games with him winning. We both lost round 5 and won round 6. So I went 3-3 and he went 4-2.

Not bad with Turbo Gates. He placed 11th over all and I placed 17th which got us into at least 6 packs for prize support so it was well worth it. Only 2 guys I played got really angry. The rest seemed to know we were coming.

It was a good turn out for the IQ though, over 60 people to start the day. All in all 7 hours of magic and a good time had.

Notes for the deck: my buddy put in 2 Kiora's and she won him a few games by being able to activate and replay 2 mazes at once. Thassa can be used to good effect as well, mono black devotion was the only deck we lost to. We need some way to deal with it.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 23, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'll try posting this again:

So I tried to make something original for standard. Every common deck seems boring, and for some reason my Golgari deck just refuses to give me more than 2 of the 3 card types it needs to work. So I ended up making a Junk Reanimator deck, which is a lot of fun. I got to play against a few decks for fun last Wednesday and it did pretty well, especially once I got it shuffled to the point that I didn't die on turn 12 with 12 lands, one in hand, 3 more that I scryed to the bottom, plus 5 mana dorks.

http://deckbox.org/sets/631523

The deck seemed to need some more speed so I ended up dropping 2 of the Catydids and a Lol Troll and upping the Mystics to 4 from 2. Deathrites were amazing some games and worthless others. I might move them to the side for the Abrupt Decays.

I added some Thoughtseizes main to help against control and to help get my dudes in the grave. I ended up dropping all 4 Commune with the Gods for 4 Satyr Wayfinders, but he only ever ended up dumping my Lol Trolls and Deathrites, plus I added a 3rd Whip, so I went to 2/2.

Finally, I switched to 3 Angels/2 Primordials which is the opposite of what it was originally. The Angels are really good for getting my mulched dudes back and for RFGing their stuff with Devour Flesh while the Primordials were kind of redundant with the Riders. I also really think a Nylea somewhere main is probably a good idea to get around all the chump blockers this deck seems to have trouble with.

The sideboard is pretty heavy against RG and control because as I may have mentioned a dozen times, it's all anyone plays.

Charms come in for RG to disrupt their mana dorks and RFG their fatties until my better fatties take over, taking out the Satyrs and maybe a mana dork or 2. Does Abrupt Decay hit anything in RG that Golgari Charm doesn't? Is ScOoze anywhere in their 75?

Merciless Eviction is there for whatever. Walkers, Gods, to clear the board of chump blockers before reanimating my guys. I think I mainly wanted it for Pack Rat because I really hate Pack Rat. They're definitely the sideboard card I'm most open to suggestions on replacing.

Abrupt Decays, Thoughtseize, Rurics, and probably Golgari Charms come in for control, taking out the Angels and Devour Flesh plus whatever else.

My favorite play: against Orzhov humans, around turn 6, Obzedat's Aid a Primordial killing his 6th land. He plays a land and Elspeth and activates her - ability to kill my guy. I respond by saccing my Primordial to Rescue from the Underworld, targeting a second Primordial. Both Primordials come back and hit 2 of his lands, bringing him to 4 lands and stopping him from casting the second Elspeth I figured was coming. He draws and plays a land. On my turn, Obzedat's Aid a Whip, whip an Ashen Rider who eats his Soldier of the Pantheon's pants (Herald of Torment) and kills Elspeth. Next turn a hardcast Ashen Rider eats his 6th land he drew last turn and seals the deal. His next draw: Elspeth.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

mono black devotion was the only deck we lost to. We need some way to deal with it.
Slaughter Games and/or OL Cyclonic Rift in response to casting Gary? Cyclonic Rift/Aetherize is also hilarious when they're all in on Pack Rats.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

When I ran Maze's end, I would sideboard in wear//tear against mono-black to kill their draw and devotion.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

quote:

Slaughter Games and/or OL Cyclonic Rift in response to casting Gary? Cyclonic Rift/Aetherize is also hilarious when they're all in on Pack Rats.

OL cyc rift cost too much when Gary hits turn 5. Slaughter games would kind of work but we would have to have red and black inline which is hard because we focus on g/w/u

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Boco_T posted:

LightReaper:
Any changes from this list for the Spellheart Chimera deck since you posted it on 3/16?
http://deckbox.org/sets/643617
That's what I'm starting with for now.

For you and anyone else, the two cards I'm most interested in their absence are: Dispel and Rapid Hybridization. Turn definitely seems like the strongest spell in the deck because it is so versatile for removing something that's out of burn range. Rapid seems like a similar alternative, and in a pinch you can even "evolve" your tokens.

Then again I can see where there's not a lot of room for cuts, so I don't know what you'd even stick in there. Same problem with trying to shoehorn Curse of the Swine in the board to cast pre-Anger or pre-Mortars.

Also, since you aren't happy with the mana for Dissolve, is there a reason you're not running Guildgates even if they are so much worse than Scrylands?

I recently put the deck up on tapped out at http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/izzet-good-16-03-14-2/ and have indeed made a few changes but I'll summarize them here:

- Cut the magma jets to 2, reason being that at least in my store's meta there wasn't that many relevant 2 toughness creatures and this deck has largely turned away from casting burn to the face in favor of controlling the board until I find aetherling, chimera or guttersnipe.
- Upped the land count to 24, largely because I found myself using izzet charm to filter a bit too much for the wrong reasons (needing to find a land), since playtesting after the change it seems like a net gain but this is probably the most fluid part of the deck to tinker with. Lack of guildgates is personal preference, I think the weakest matchup for the deck is versus aggro and if we can't answer a turn 2 or 3 play due to a tapped land it can often spiral out of control. When we get izzet scrylands however I plan to run four.
- Cut Dissolves to 2, because a side-effect of my unhappiness with guildgates is this card often didn't come online for a while into the matchup, but more importantly I needed to cut two cards to try out:
- 2x Quicken, because I must be honest, despite not liking quicken + divination instead of steam augury, I often found myself with mana left over. With two quickens I can occasionally catch people out with a surprise mizzium mortars or anger, and cycles itself with good synergy with the rest of my creature-base other than Aetherling.

I plan to try and find a Chandra, Pyromaster to playtest it in the deck as it has a lot of potential, and I might bump up the number of Conflagrations in the sideboard as 4x anger might be a little overkill, just need to spend more time playtesting with the deck. If you do decide to play with a variant of the list you should keep the thread updated as it'd be nice to see how it does in another store's meta and your thoughts on possible changes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

LightReaper posted:

I recently put the deck up on tapped out at http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/izzet-good-16-03-14-2/ and have indeed made a few changes but I'll summarize them here:

- Cut the magma jets to 2, reason being that at least in my store's meta there wasn't that many relevant 2 toughness creatures and this deck has largely turned away from casting burn to the face in favor of controlling the board until I find aetherling, chimera or guttersnipe.
- Upped the land count to 24, largely because I found myself using izzet charm to filter a bit too much for the wrong reasons (needing to find a land), since playtesting after the change it seems like a net gain but this is probably the most fluid part of the deck to tinker with. Lack of guildgates is personal preference, I think the weakest matchup for the deck is versus aggro and if we can't answer a turn 2 or 3 play due to a tapped land it can often spiral out of control. When we get izzet scrylands however I plan to run four.
- Cut Dissolves to 2, because a side-effect of my unhappiness with guildgates is this card often didn't come online for a while into the matchup, but more importantly I needed to cut two cards to try out:
- 2x Quicken, because I must be honest, despite not liking quicken + divination instead of steam augury, I often found myself with mana left over. With two quickens I can occasionally catch people out with a surprise mizzium mortars or anger, and cycles itself with good synergy with the rest of my creature-base other than Aetherling.

I plan to try and find a Chandra, Pyromaster to playtest it in the deck as it has a lot of potential, and I might bump up the number of Conflagrations in the sideboard as 4x anger might be a little overkill, just need to spend more time playtesting with the deck. If you do decide to play with a variant of the list you should keep the thread updated as it'd be nice to see how it does in another store's meta and your thoughts on possible changes.

What do the Cyclonic Rifts do generally? It's a pretty versatile card, in practice what are you seeing yourself using it for in the common matchups?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
I'm thinking of bringing R/w Devotion to an IQ next week and was wondering if I could get any tweaks or suggestions for my deck.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-devotion-18-03-14-1/

It's either this or good old R/G Monsters but I'd rather run the devotion since people are running so much hate against monsters right now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Typhus733 posted:

I'm thinking of bringing R/w Devotion to an IQ next week and was wondering if I could get any tweaks or suggestions for my deck.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rw-devotion-18-03-14-1/

It's either this or good old R/G Monsters but I'd rather run the devotion since people are running so much hate against monsters right now.

You'll want a 4th Mizzium Mortars in the 75 somewhere. It absolutely demolishes R/G Monsters and any deck leaning too heavily on Pack Rat.
I also haven't found much of a use for the singleton Guildgate. I know it was in that tournament winning deck, but there aren't enough mainboarded white cards to necessitate it, and drawing a tap land after turn 3 can be the difference between dropping a Fanatic for 8 and winning or waiting until the next turn after your opponent nukes the board or forces chump blocking.

Actually, your deck is almost card for card a copy of my deck. The only differences are:
-3 x Rakdos Cackler
+1 x Chandra, Pyromaster
+2 x Legion Loyalist

I have found the trample and first strike that Loyalist provides is backbreaking. It lets your Fanatics survive a lot of attacks. Plus, no one realizes that they can't use their Elspeth or Pack Rat tokens to block with him. :D

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

hoobajoo posted:

What do the Cyclonic Rifts do generally? It's a pretty versatile card, in practice what are you seeing yourself using it for in the common matchups?
Planes walkers versus control, big creatures versus R/G if I need to punch some damage through via creatures, it varies. I don't run them to counter a specific threat so much as they are a good general tool, I never feel like drawing one is a dead card. Oh and it fucks over pack rats hard.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Plan to to take this BW Midrange to a GPT tomorrow. Was going to go with Harrison Hite's deck from the Open last weekend, but decided to change it based on BBDs deck since I agree with him that Obzedat is better maindeck right now. Considering switching around the removal and taking two out total for Sin Collectors.

Deck: BW Midrange

Report: Apparently at 114 players today's event may have had a record attendance for a GPT, likely driven by folks wanting points toward GP Manchester byes. Went 4-3 running the quoted Orzhov Midrange deck (except I changed the Dark Betrayal and Ultimate Price in the sideboard for another Doom Blade and Bile Blight)

1. BUG mill- 2-0. Almost milled me out G1 with Phenax's ability on walls combined with Prophet of Kruphix. Second I ripped up his hand early on and just got it all my own way.

2. BW Midrange. 2-0. I think he was playing 5+ 5 drops in the main with a more black-leaning manabase. Barons and rats get it done. I think BW is the most fun mirror I've played in.

3. Red Devotion w/ black splash. 0-2. First loss, just couldn't keep him down. Both games he burned me into the danger zone and left me with nothing but Desecration Demons to block his Reckoners. Bad draws? Don't know, but I ended up siding in 13 cards, and ended up thinking it should have been 15 with Revoke for Purphoros.

4. RG Monsters. 1-2. Couldn't keep them off the board. Both games I lost I made a choice of approach that went bad. Not to say I would have won going the other way, but things would have been different, like I play a Desecration Demon rather than Downfall Polukranos, which then shot my lone Pack Rat monstering. I think Xenagos (walker) came out and kept him down that time. Need to figure out how to board against it beyond Lifebanes. Followed a strong line in the game I won though, on the play I t1 Thoughtseize, t2 Thoughtseize, t3 Lifebane to take her Courser was pretty sick.

5. Mono Red. I honestly can't remember anything about this, but my notes say I won.

6. Mono Blue (white splash). 2-1. My first ever match against Mono Blue! Just a good match for me, removing threats and catching a Thassa with Thoughtseize. He seemed to draw badly even with her out. Shot the UW god with Revoke, living the dream.

7. Jund Monsters. 0-2. Dealt mainly with 2 Reaper of the Wilds and Golgari removal spells G1 which I just couldn't answer with what I had, mainly Brimaz and a lifebane. Misread things and brought in Blood Barons, might be good to survive removal but would mostly swing into R or G stuff if it came out. G1 turn 1 I shock myself for a Godless Shrine and Thoughtseized. I got a Caryatid so felt justified, but I had prizes at this point and I think it influenced my decision-making.

Really good even, really happy with the deck and can definitely do a bit better next time. Brimaz got work done. Needs at least one more Devour Flesh for Barons, Caryatids and Hexproof, a mate of mine made top 8 with Naya Hexproof running I think 16-20 creatures and nothing above CMC 3.

Edit: 35th out of 114 by the way.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 24, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So all you aura players out there, there's a creature from RTR that is aggressively costed for what it does and could be a really awesome creature to save your suited up guy. Dutiful Thrull. Ran into someone talking about playing against it at a FNM and how hard it was to remove off the board once it got some enchantments on it. Maybe someone could try it that is running an Auras deck in this thread?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Unless you're not playing green in your enchantments deck, Lotleth Troll is better.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tzirean posted:

Unless you're not playing green in your enchantments deck, Lotleth Troll is better.

For the trample, yes. But you miss out on pretty much all the auras worth using, and GBW would have too screwy a mana base to be consistent enough. And Dutiful Thrull gains protection from Brave the Elements.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Entropic posted:

If you want to build a Red-Black deck, aggro humans is probably a lot more reliable, and just as cheap.

4x Tormented Hero
4x Rakdos Cackler

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Spike Jester
4x Lightning Strike
4x Madcap Skills
2x Dreadbore

4x Mogis's Marauder
4x Xathrid Necromancer
4x some split between Exava, Rakdos Bloodwitch and Mogis, God of Slaughter, depending on your budget

4x Blood Crypt
swamps n' mountains

The only money cards are Blood Crypts which are a Modern staple anyway, and Mogis.

It does a good job of getting in under the WUB control decks before they can stabilize.

This is what I ended up building:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Rakdos Cackler

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Spike Jester
4x Lightning Strike
4x Madcap Skills

4x Mogis's Marauder
4x Xathrid Necromancer

1x Mogis, God of Slaughter
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
1x Searing Blood
1x Stormbreath Dragon

12x Swamp
12x Mountain

Should I be looking for more Mogis'? or is there something better to swap out? I just happened to have the stormbreath, searing blood, and purphoros so I decided to throw them into the mix with everything else.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
http://www.mtgvault.com/traslin/decks/frontline-ephara/

I'm having a hard time making a UW deck with Ephara because her ability is most useful for longer games; however, you typically have to run a lot of weenies in your deck to activate her enough, which makes your deck aggro. I've attempted to put together a deck that balances the need for weenies while still allowing you to go a little deeper into games if necessary so that Ephara can be useful.

I think the Frontline Medics work well because the weenie creatures you drop early will have more staying power, and he allows you to swing all out and hopefully keep your opponent on the ropes so Ephara can do her work. Azorius Charm works well with the Frontline because it can provide a big boost in life while you are swinging all out. Finally, Path of Bravery and Archangel have good synergy with Frontline.

traslin fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Am I the only person who wants to go Maze's end-fogs-Archetypes-hold the gates-crackling perimeter-chromanticores somehow?

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I realise that this is an archetype that is starting to get some play and results - but can you goons give me some feedback on this Mono B aggro deck?

http://deckbox.org/sets/643881

3 Agent of Fates
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
3 Tormented Hero
4 Herald of Torment
3 Pain Seer
1 Desecration Demon
2 Xathrid Necromancer
3 Mogis Marauder

2 Pharika's Cure
2 Bile Blight
3 Doom Blade
1 Hero's Downfall

2 Gift of Orzhova

2 Whip of Erebos

21 Swamp

SB:
2 Hero's Downfall
1 Erebos
1 Whip of Erebos
3 Cremate
4 Dark Betrayal
4 Duress

Anything obviously crappy need fixing?
I'm thinking some more Xathrids, another Pain Seer, maybe ditch the desecration demon. I'm also not sold on the Gift of Orzhova, but it's really useful sometimes to trigger a heroic or to get some evasion and lifelink if the Whip isn't up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

traslin posted:

http://www.mtgvault.com/traslin/decks/frontline-ephara/

I'm having a hard time making a UW deck with Ephara because her ability is most useful for longer games; however, you typically have to run a lot of weenies in your deck to activate her enough, which makes your deck aggro. I've attempted to put together a deck that balances the need for weenies while still allowing you to go a little deeper into games if necessary so that Ephara can be useful.

I think the Frontline Medics work well because the weenie creatures you drop early will have more staying power, and he allows you to swing all out and hopefully keep your opponent on the ropes so Ephara can do her work. Azorius Charm works well with the Frontline because it can provide a big boost in life while you are swinging all out. Finally, Path of Bravery and Archangel have good synergy with Frontline.

You want 4 Brimaz legendary or not just because he is that good. (And he triggers Ephara after every turn he blocks/attacks due to his ability.) Spear of Heliod is a much better pump spell than Path of Bravery because you'll be gaining enough life with Archangel and bestowed Hopeful Eidolon to not need Path's effect.

I have a similar "Ephara deck with a white core" and it goes like this:
4 x Soldier of the Pantheon
4 x Judge's Familiar
4 x Precinct Captain
4 x Vanguard of Brimaz
4 x Brimaz, King of Kitties
3 x Spear of Heliod
3 x Ephara, God of the Po-Po
2 x Heliod, God o' the Bright
4 x Detention Sphere
4 x Brave the Elements
4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Temple of Enlightenment
4 x Mutavault
12x Plains

Obviously, my deck focuses a little more on active gods. Otherwise, I would probably run Imposing Sovereign instead of Vanguard. It is definitely fun to be able to plop down Heliod and Ephara with Spear and a single D.Sphere and have them both active.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MMD3 posted:

This is what I ended up building:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Rakdos Cackler

4x Rakdos Shred-Freak
4x Spike Jester
4x Lightning Strike
4x Madcap Skills

4x Mogis's Marauder
4x Xathrid Necromancer

1x Mogis, God of Slaughter
1x Purphoros, God of the Forge
1x Searing Blood
1x Stormbreath Dragon

12x Swamp
12x Mountain

Should I be looking for more Mogis'? or is there something better to swap out? I just happened to have the stormbreath, searing blood, and purphoros so I decided to throw them into the mix with everything else.

I'd ditch anything above 5, or anything with double mana symbols especially since you've got no Blood Crypts. Purphoros is a do-nothing turn 4 play and would be better as an Exava, because she can at least close a game turn 4 if you're lucky.
Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd pick up 4 blood crypts, 2/3 Exava, and maybe a Mogis, drop the land count to 22 (and change the split to favor black a little more) and use the remaining 2 spots for more removal, be it Hero's Downfall, Doom Blade or Dreadbore.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Going to play the following tonight and would appreciate any advice for last minute adjustments.

Deck: FNM special

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
6 Plains
6 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
2 Devour Flesh
2 Duress
4 Ethereal Armor
3 Far // Away
2 Gift of Orzhova
2 Gods Willing
3 Hero's Downfall
3 Pacifism
1 Pithing Needle
2 Ultimate Price

//Creatures
3 Desecration Demon
2 Dutiful Thrull
4 Eidolon of Countless Battles
4 Favored Hoplite
1 Liliana's Reaver
2 Silent Sentinel

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mindisgone posted:

Going to play the following tonight and would appreciate any advice for last minute adjustments.

You only have 10 enchantments in the deck and 6 of them cost 3. There isn't much use for Silent Sentinel or even Ethereal Armor at that point. If you want to go the enchantment route, you need to run way more enchantment creatures like Baleful Eidolon or Herald of Torment.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cactrot posted:

I'd ditch anything above 5, or anything with double mana symbols especially since you've got no Blood Crypts. Purphoros is a do-nothing turn 4 play and would be better as an Exava, because she can at least close a game turn 4 if you're lucky.
Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd pick up 4 blood crypts, 2/3 Exava, and maybe a Mogis, drop the land count to 22 (and change the split to favor black a little more) and use the remaining 2 spots for more removal, be it Hero's Downfall, Doom Blade or Dreadbore.

okay, I couldn't find the exava's locally so I'll have to order some.

This is only my second constructed deck after my mono black devotion. I'm going to be playing a friend this week who just built a U/W brimaz/ephara/eidolon of countless battles deck. I'm guessing I'll want even more removal in my sideboard for that? or do you just try to aggro down a deck like that?

Also what would a turn 4 exava win look like? I'm assuming you're dropping a turn 1 cackler, turn 2 jester, ...

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

You want 4 Brimaz legendary or not just because he is that good. (And he triggers Ephara after every turn he blocks/attacks due to his ability.) Spear of Heliod is a much better pump spell than Path of Bravery because you'll be gaining enough life with Archangel and bestowed Hopeful Eidolon to not need Path's effect.

I have a similar "Ephara deck with a white core" and it goes like this:
4 x Soldier of the Pantheon
4 x Judge's Familiar
4 x Precinct Captain
4 x Vanguard of Brimaz
4 x Brimaz, King of Kitties
3 x Spear of Heliod
3 x Ephara, God of the Po-Po
2 x Heliod, God o' the Bright
4 x Detention Sphere
4 x Brave the Elements
4 x Hallowed Fountain
4 x Temple of Enlightenment
4 x Mutavault
12x Plains

Obviously, my deck focuses a little more on active gods. Otherwise, I would probably run Imposing Sovereign instead of Vanguard. It is definitely fun to be able to plop down Heliod and Ephara with Spear and a single D.Sphere and have them both active.

Love Ephara chat, she's so rad. This is the list I took to last FNM and went 3-1 with.

I don't run Brimaz because a) expensive and b) I'm not sure what I'd cut for him. My three-slot is clogged between Banishers, Skyknights and D-Spheres and all of those are important cards in the Green midrange matchup, where Brimaz is at his worst. My list is insanely weak to control, it's just about 1 turn too slow I keep finding, so maybe a couple Brimaz would be better to mainboard over a few Banishers. Mainboard Heliod would be cool but I think that would mean replacing Deputy of Acquittals (an already weak card) with the weaker Vanguard of Brimaz, which I'm not fond of since it's a spot with few options to begin with.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I lost to a guy yesterday that ran deputy of acquittals in his ephara aggro. It actually won him the game because he used them twice to bounce creatures I tried to hit with searing blood. It seemed to mostly be a white aggro deck that had brimaz, ephara, and deputy and he did pretty well with it.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Love Ephara chat, she's so rad. This is the list I took to last FNM and went 3-1 with.

I don't run Brimaz because a) expensive and b) I'm not sure what I'd cut for him. My three-slot is clogged between Banishers, Skyknights and D-Spheres and all of those are important cards in the Green midrange matchup, where Brimaz is at his worst. My list is insanely weak to control, it's just about 1 turn too slow I keep finding, so maybe a couple Brimaz would be better to mainboard over a few Banishers. Mainboard Heliod would be cool but I think that would mean replacing Deputy of Acquittals (an already weak card) with the weaker Vanguard of Brimaz, which I'm not fond of since it's a spot with few options to begin with.

I actually think New Prahv Guildmage is better than the Deputy unless you are running a bunch of creatures that have enter battlefield effects, which it looks like for you is only the Skyknight. If you use the Deputy to return a creature to your hand, it is usually going to be a wash on devotion. Guildmage can help a lot in the later rounds to lock down a Planeswalker or fat creature, and the evasion isn't terrible especially if you just need to sneak some damage through to take down a Planeswalker. I also think Brimaz would be better than Skyknight because he has the best synergy with Ephara by helping with card draw when he attacks or blocks.

Since you already have 4 DSpheres, 4 Banisher Priests seems like a bit much to me. If anything, I'd probably run 2 and sideboard 2. I like her because she can be a huge tempo swing, but she is also very susceptible to burn and creature kill spells that swing the tempo back in the other direction. She is also a very weak draw if you are playing control or burn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Deputy was more used to guarantee a card draw with ephara but constantly being denied burn targets was aggravating. If the game runs late and you have 5 mana, dont forget you can abuse stack and permanently exile dudes with banisher priest/deputy combo too.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Deputy was more used to guarantee a card draw with ephara but constantly being denied burn targets was aggravating. If the game runs late and you have 5 mana, dont forget you can abuse stack and permanently exile dudes with banisher priest/deputy combo too.

Actually, with the templating on Banisher Priest that does not work, in contrast to the templating on Fiend Hunter, Detention Sphere, and the like.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wait how does the stack abuse to permanently exile dudes work? Edit, apparently it doesn't work...

Edit - I looked it up, and the permanent exile apparently only works with Angel of Serenity and not Banisher Priest, http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-rulings/547233-banisher-priest-perma-exile

traslin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 24, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

kizudarake posted:

Am I the only person who wants to go Maze's end-fogs-Archetypes-hold the gates-crackling perimeter-chromanticores somehow?

I play Turbo Fog Gates. Chromanticore didn't work. Creatures you have just get blown up by the other player or by yourself.

Just Turbo fog it and don't try to over think it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

traslin posted:

Wait how does the stack abuse to permanently exile dudes work?

It works with cards templated like Fiend Hunter in that you put the ETB trigger on the stack, bounce/kill/sac the Fiend Hunter which puts the dies trigger on the stack - then the Dies trigger resolves returning nothing and then the ETB trigger resolves.

Banisher Priest's templating makes it so that if Banisher Priest isn't on the battlefield the exiled target is returned, so you can't do that trick.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Huh my mistake, just thought of it while making that post. That said, I still wouldn't mainboard 4 priests if youre running 4 dspheres.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

MMD3 posted:

okay, I couldn't find the exava's locally so I'll have to order some.

This is only my second constructed deck after my mono black devotion. I'm going to be playing a friend this week who just built a U/W brimaz/ephara/eidolon of countless battles deck. I'm guessing I'll want even more removal in my sideboard for that? or do you just try to aggro down a deck like that?

Also what would a turn 4 exava win look like? I'm assuming you're dropping a turn 1 cackler, turn 2 jester, ...

Brimaz can be a brick wall, but there's a neat little interaction with him and madcap skills. if Brimaz is their only blocker, they still cannot block a madcapped attacker with him. He won't spawn a token (creating the second blocker) until after he's already a declared a blocker, which madcap skills will prevent.

You'll need hard removal or mizzium mortars to deal with him in any other situation though.

Turn 4 was probably overstretching it, but on the play t1 cackler/hero, t2 madcap skills, t3 marauder, t4 exava puts them in bolt range with 1 blocker, usually trades favorably with 2, and outright kills if they stumble. You'll be in topdeck mode at that point though, it requires a lot of luck.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

traslin posted:

I actually think New Prahv Guildmage is better than the Deputy unless you are running a bunch of creatures that have enter battlefield effects, which it looks like for you is only the Skyknight. If you use the Deputy to return a creature to your hand, it is usually going to be a wash on devotion. Guildmage can help a lot in the later rounds to lock down a Planeswalker or fat creature, and the evasion isn't terrible especially if you just need to sneak some damage through to take down a Planeswalker. I also think Brimaz would be better than Skyknight because he has the best synergy with Ephara by helping with card draw when he attacks or blocks.

Since you already have 4 DSpheres, 4 Banisher Priests seems like a bit much to me. If anything, I'd probably run 2 and sideboard 2. I like her because she can be a huge tempo swing, but she is also very susceptible to burn and creature kill spells that swing the tempo back in the other direction. She is also a very weak draw if you are playing control or burn.

Hmm I never considered the Guildmage, I totally have to test that. I can't see the detain being terribly useful, I find mana to be very tight and spending a turn detaining a thing would only be great if you're already ahead. The evasion seems crazy relevant, giving Precinct Captain or Ephara flying is a fantastic play.

As for Banisher Priest, I think you're probably right, but it's such an insane card in pretty much every matchup but control that it's hard to cut it. The control matchup needs shoring up, though, and Brimaz is way better so I think it's the right call to sub that out. How is Brimaz still a $25 card... :sigh:

• Locked thread