Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I don't like about the Cecil/Carlos relationship is the fact that I can already tell Carlos is probably going to die whenever the poo poo that is looming on the horizon actually goes down. But then again maybe being a Joss Whedon fan has just ruined me when it comes to accepting that fictional character sometimes get to have relationships that aren't horribly destroyed the moment they find happiness...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have no idea how the relationship is suddenly too played up when at first Cecil literally called him perfect Carlos and gushed about his hair. The point was always that Cecil was kinda a thirteen year old girl about his crush/boyfriend. The show is never about just Nightvale, because that would be pointless monkey cheese real fast. The characters and how they act amongst the chaos is what makes it so great.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I guess I'm a dumb tumblr fangirl, because Cecil and Carlos' relationship is one of my favorite parts of the show. It's just so adorably normal (and healthy!) :3: And a nice foil to all of the crazy poo poo going down in Night Vale.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I'm also definitely a dumb Cecil and Carlos fangirl. I was mostly annoyed I missed a good chunk of the live show to shrieks that should have been of terror.

Carlos's dialogue at the end of "Condos" is just :3: incarnate when he has to explain in the most roundabout, scientific terms why he thinks they should make a home together.

It's the Kevin fangirls that are weird. Seriously.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

On a relisten Cecil definitely talks about his :siren:boyfriend:siren: a lot at first but then less as time goes on and the newness wears off.

Although it's funny to me that the fandom likes the relationship so much for being low key and as a result stresses it the most.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Len posted:

On a relisten Cecil definitely talks about his :siren:boyfriend:siren: a lot at first but then less as time goes on and the newness wears off.

Although it's funny to me that the fandom likes the relationship so much for being low key and as a result stresses it the most.

To repeat a point from another poster: Literally one of the first things talked about in the first episode is Cecil gushing over Carlos.

EDIT for clarity: The relationship has never been low key, it just hasn't been constant. Which is what it needs to be. Night Vale is great because (IMHO) it details real human lives in an inhuman, insane, nightmare of a town. If it was a soap opera with some "2spooky4me" thrown in it wouldn't be nearly as good.

Double EDIT: Actually Night Vale is pretty much a soap opera with "2spooky4me" and it's still great. So I'm not so sure what my point was supposed to be there. Either way Cecil and Carlos are great and the live show elements some people are complaining about weren't some limp-wristed caricature. :colbert:

Crain fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2014

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Cecil was best when he was creepily noting Carlos' perfect hair in the first few episodes.

Carlos.
With his perfect. Hair.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Len posted:

Not surprising. Normalizing same sex relationships is still important work. Just occasionally having gay people/relationships be present and visible, but not tokenized, stereotyped, or having the point of their existence in the work to be exploratory about their gayness is progressive. Ditto the large (relative to media in general) number of women bit players that someone else remarked on in thread not too long ago. This is going to play well in the social justice-heavy tumblr crowd.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

Double EDIT: Actually Night Vale is pretty much a soap opera with "2spooky4me" and it's still great. So I'm not so sure what my point was supposed to be there. Either way Cecil and Carlos are great and the live show elements some people are complaining about weren't some limp-wristed caricature. :colbert:

Yea I kinda thought that's why we were all so into this show. It's basically Days of our Lives with Lovecraft, that's why it loving rules. If it was just Lovecraft it'd be ok, same if it was just a radio drama, but merging the two you get this really awesome thing where some dude is gushing about his boyfriend being so cute when he's talking about orange groves that are otherworldly and interns who vanish into other worlds(???). That's why Cecil is cool, he's as close to a normal person as you can get in a hosed up Lovecraft world.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Silentman0 posted:

Cecil was best when he was creepily noting Carlos' perfect hair in the first few episodes.

Carlos.
With his perfect. Hair.

When I first heard Cecil noting his hair, I just thought this was how all Nightvale citizen's saw Carlos. I just thought it was a weird left-over strangeness from Carlos originally being from outside Nightvale. It was creepy as in how different Nightvale citizens must be if his hair got so attention.

Then to just find out, "Oh he just has crush on him.", was a huge let-down for me. I was expecting Lovecraften strangeness and really Carlos and Cecil relationship is completely normal, it sort of clashes with everything else going on around them.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Yeah I'm just really jazzed that a show that prominently features a healthy, happy same-sex relationship has gotten as popular as it has. I though their scenes together in Condos were really adorable, and it makes total sense to play up the fan favourite elements in the live shows.
There's no way they're going to kill off Carlos unless they want to alienate most of the audience. They already fake-killed him and that was distressing enough.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tormented posted:

When I first heard Cecil noting his hair, I just thought this was how all Nightvale citizen's saw Carlos. I just thought it was a weird left-over strangeness from Carlos originally being from outside Nightvale. It was creepy as in how different Nightvale citizens must be if his hair got so attention.

Then to just find out, "Oh he just has crush on him.", was a huge let-down for me. I was expecting Lovecraften strangeness and really Carlos and Cecil relationship is completely normal, it sort of clashes with everything else going on around them.

I still want to kind of believe it is both. I mean, you remember what happened to Telly, right? I'm sure if all of Night Vale's citizens didn't love Carlos's perfect hair, he wouldn't be out wandering the sand wastes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

There's no way they're going to kill off Carlos unless they want to alienate most of the audience. They already fake-killed him and that was distressing enough.

There's no way Joss Whedon will kill off Angel/Tara/Anya/Cordelia/Wash unless they want to alienate a big part of the audience :v:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea but the Nightvale people know how to write a satisfying story without lovely surprise murder so, ya know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea but the Nightvale people know how to write a satisfying story without lovely surprise murder so, ya know.

If you do a story where there is a large amount of danger and don't kill SOMEONE who is a major "untouchable" member of the cast, then the next time you do something where there is danger no one is going to believe it. Whedon overused it, but it's a sound principle. I don't actually think it'll be Carlos who gets it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the major named characters get offed when all this stuff finally pops off. And if not then next time they try and do a story line like this I probably won't care because everyone will most likely get out safe again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

TheJoker138 posted:

If you do a story where there is a large amount of danger and don't kill SOMEONE who is a major "untouchable" member of the cast, then the next time you do something where there is danger no one is going to believe it. Whedon overused it, but it's a sound principle. I don't actually think it'll be Carlos who gets it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the major named characters get offed when all this stuff finally pops off. And if not then next time they try and do a story line like this I probably won't care because everyone will most likely get out safe again.

My personal theory isn't so much that Carlos is going to die, but rather all the build up to StrexCorp becoming a "thing" in town will end up with Carlos "getting" a job there as a staff scientist. Basically becoming an unwitting hostage to try and keep Cecil and the radio under control. StrexCorp knows that Cecil isn't playing by the rules and not so secretly lets out information and support for people that the powers that be don't like (Tamika Flynn). Also with the latest episode we've seen that StrexCorp isn't against getting some revenge against Cecil when it comes his breaking of the rules. At least that how I interpret what the present was. They've also shown too much interest in Carlos after the orange juice thing.

Having Carlos be in extreme danger I think would do more for allowing Cecil to do his "Thing" without risking changing too much when it comes to the Night Vale format in the event that Carlos dies and Cecil wants real revenge.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I don't think they would kill Carlos, but I'm a little worried for Dana. No, not worried - concerned.

I might be a bit too much of a fangirl but I'm still far happier with it being mainly "look at all this crazy poo poo" and having the relationship in the background than if it were to become the Carlos and Cecil show and some other poo poo happens who cares. That's one reason I'm glad to know that the creators will stick to their vision and not just cater to the most vocal fans like some people with less integrity might.

Edit: That's not meant to be a dig at them or anything; while the relationship has gotten more airtime than it's had previously, I don't think it's become too much.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 25, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

There's no way Joss Whedon will kill off Angel/Tara/Anya/Cordelia/Wash unless they want to alienate a big part of the audience :v:

Joss Whedon is a lovely writer though and I'm not sure why you keep bringing him up here

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
If there's anything WTNV's famous for, it's character deaths calculated to cause the most emotional trauma possible, arguing that only serves to make one character look clever, and female characters that are bad-rear end, but only in an extremely sexy way.

I don't understand why EVERY nerd property needs to be compared to Whedon's stuff. It's pointless and limiting.

That being said, I don't think Whedon could write a protagonist that openly questions the purpose of the moon and doesn't believe in mountains.

Visitor and Librarian character talk about Cecil: I really think it makes Cecil a stronger character that his hatred of Steve Carlsberg seems to be completely unfounded and that he's enough of a jerk to kick Steve out of the studio when the man's found legitimate protection from librarian attacks. Also, Cecil was angry enough about Khoshekh's injuries that he wanted to do beat the Strex-Pet with a hammer. I can't remember the last time a protagonist threatened violence against an animal AND that I sympathized with them.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
The Steve Carlsberg hate had to be my favorite thing about Cecil. It cracks me up every loving time.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Aw man, the St. Louis show only had a mention of Steve Carlsberg in the horoscopes, he didn't actually show up. I hope he's in the buy-able download version. :(

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Crain posted:

To repeat a point from another poster: Literally one of the first things talked about in the first episode is Cecil gushing over Carlos.

When I relisten to the first year's podcasts I get reminded that he's not actually mentioned in a lot of them. There's a huge patch between his haircut and "The Phone Call" and then another stretch before "A Year Later" where he barely gets a mention.

I also love that Carlos doesn't speak Spanish. I mean, he could start speaking Spanish at any time and that would be fine, but I have a lot of Latino friends who hate that people assume they speak Spanish.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

When I relisten to the first year's podcasts I get reminded that he's not actually mentioned in a lot of them. There's a huge patch between his haircut and "The Phone Call" and then another stretch before "A Year Later" where he barely gets a mention.

Right, this is what I was talking about when I say it's moved too front and center.

Cecil's enthusiasm was never the problem, it's the frequency and the way it seems to have taken over the show at times over the past ~year that gets frustrating. The relationship can be low key without losing Cecil's breathless infatuation - that was never the problem to begin with.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

Right, this is what I was talking about when I say it's moved too front and center.

Cecil's enthusiasm was never the problem, it's the frequency and the way it seems to have taken over the show at times over the past ~year that gets frustrating. The relationship can be low key without losing Cecil's breathless infatuation - that was never the problem to begin with.

If you're in a relationship with someone, as opposed to just mooning over them, you'll be seeing them every day and have a lot more to say, at least in the first year. There'll just be more material. But I can understand your frustration with a change in the line-up of the show in terms what Cecil talks about. He also has more running plotlines than one-time stories, which is just a natural evolution of the writing, but requires more memory of callbacks.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
The only issue I find with Carlos is that (at least in the 2 live shows I've heard) recently he's gone from "the outsider investigating Night Vale" to full-on Night Vale weirdness. I'm not sure if it's related to his figurative death/rebirth that happened in One Year Later, or if that's just a more fun way to portray him for the shows.

I mean, whichever way they want to take the character is cool, but it would be a shame to lose the contrasting view and just have another person who treats the weird as normal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For anyone going tonight is 8pm the door open time or the program start time?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
In Chicago, it was the show start time.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 25, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Len posted:

For anyone going tonight is 8pm the door open time or the program start time?

Either way, go an hour before. I'm serious about this. AT LEAST an hour.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just got complimented on my Night Vale shirt by someone outside a White Castle.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dj_clawson posted:

Either way, go an hour before. I'm serious about this. AT LEAST an hour.

...Whoops. :downs:

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
Here in Columbus, up in the balcony. I'm super glad I got here an hour early, but there's plenty of nice seats left. I feel pretty old here amongst the undergrads. It's nice to have the option of alcohol though!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not even in the place yet and I see a fedora.

Edit: A few fedoras in here. Up in the balcony because it had three open seats.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 26, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Len posted:

Not even in the place yet and I see a fedora.

Edit: A few fedoras in here. Up in the balcony because it had three open seats.

Despite the hipster-hatred in the actual show, Night Vale is written by, produced by, performed by, and listened to by hipsters. I have seen a lot of unnecessary suspenders and fauxhawks.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
You guys are lucky it's just hipsters. We had a guy in a lab coat, fox ears, and a tail hanging out the bottom.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

dragon_pamcake posted:

You guys are lucky it's just hipsters. We had a guy in a lab coat, fox ears, and a tail hanging out the bottom.

Hell, in my university I saw a guy wearing rainbow-y, colourful cat/dog ears. He was at the time digging under a vending machine for spare change at 11:30 on a Sunday. Said university is also the only place where I have seen an eternal scout badge sewn onto a guys bag.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was a good show and I really enjoyed it. The noticeable "awwwwwwwwe" when Cecil and Carlos spoke was pretty unnecessary though.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I made a thing.

http://hovercastle.io/proverb/

neurotech fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 28, 2014

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Look, Dylan Marron made a behind-the-scenes video. You can briefly see the Glow Cloud umbrella that I mentioned earlier in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PGCMbO2XhM

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

New homepage. This is great, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

New homepage. This is great, thank you!

Oh that's flattering, you're too kind.

I'm going to keep working on it and adding some bits and pieces.

Edit: The site breaks if the trailing / isn't there - link fixed:

http://hovercastle.io/proverb/

neurotech fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 28, 2014